Reload this Page >

The Real Ghostbusters Volume 2?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-21-09, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any word on the release of "The Real Ghostbusters Volume 2"? Or even volumes 3, 4 & 5? I see at the end of the month the entire series will be released in stores but what about those of us who picked up Volume 1 back in March? I haven't heard anything and just wanted to see if anyone else has? Thanks!
Old 09-22-09, 12:33 AM

Re: The Real Ghostbusters Volume 2?

I also bought Volume 1 when it came out on DVD. There isn't anything on TVShowsonDVD about Volume 2 unfortunately.
Old 09-22-09, 08:14 AM
Banned

yea, sadly i know... i looked all over the web and haven't be able to find anything. which lead me to believe there is no news as of yet. i was just hoping someone on here might have heard a rumor or something i might have looked over. who knows... this wouldn't be the first time we have seen a volume 1 or season 1 come out followed only by a complete series never to see the other volumes or seasons released separately. looks like we might get screwed again. figures...
Old 12-04-09, 09:11 AM
Banned

Ohhh thank god! Looks like we might not be screwed after all...
Here is info on Vol. 2...
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Rea...Volume-2/13062
Old 02-20-10, 12:26 AM

Well, this volume DID come out, but for some reason it was issued WITHOUT the steelbook!

The first volume shipped with the very same steelbook that can be found in the complete series box set (which features 5 volumes, all in steelbook packaging, surrounded by a firehouse-shaped box). From what I understood, the individual retail editions were supposed to be these same steelbook volumes, yet without the extra bonus disc that shipped with the complete box set. Instead, only the first volume came in a steelbook, while the second one came in a regular keepcase with a slipcover around it, with shrinkwrap over the whole thing. Not that I have a hardon for steelbooks, but if there's one thing I simply can't stand, it's changing a packaging format during the run of a series. Especially short ones (like the recent slim third season of the original "Star Trek" on Blu-Ray) or in this case, one that ALREADY EXISTS in consistent packaging! Oy.

Sorry, this has been bugging me for weeks and it had to go somewhere.

At this point, since I think it's unlikely they'll reissue volume 1 in a keepcase (to match the rest), I may just forgo buying the individual sets, give away the first volume as a gift and save up to buy the box set instead. I'll be broke but at least my OCD will be satisfied...

Last edited by Ajay C; 02-23-10 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ajay C
Not that I have a hardon for steelbooks, but if there's one thing I simply can't stand, it's changing a packaging format during the run of a series. Especially short ones (like the recent slim third season of the original "Star Trek" on Blu-Ray) or in this case, one that ALREADY EXISTS in consistent packaging! Oy.
I keep seeing people complain about this....the first two seasons are seven discs, while the third season is only six discs...the Viva Elite brand/style of BD cases Paramount/CBS uses are a different size when you go down from seven to six discs...it's not like they "changed the packaging format" as has been done by other studios (going from a digipack foldout to slim plastic cases to one regular sized plastic case with flip pages, etc.)....
Old 02-20-10, 04:53 PM
Cool New Member

Well, this volume DID come out, but for some reason it was issued WITHOUT the steelbook!

At this point, since I think it's unlikely they'll reissue volume 1 in a keepcase (to match the rest), I may just forgo buying the individual sets, give away the first volume as a gift and save up to buy the box set instead. I'll be broke but at least my OCD will be satisfied...
Wow! Thanks for the info. I was just going to buy the first three volumes (I don't care for the Dave Coulier years), but now I may go ahead and get the complete series set instead.
Old 02-20-10, 08:32 PM
Banned

The first volume shipped with the very same steelbook that can be found in the complete series box set (which features 5 volumes, all in steelbook packaging, surrounded by a firehouse-shaped box). From what I understood, the individual retail editions were supposed to these same steelbooked volumes, yet without the extra bonus disc that shipped with the complete box set. Instead, only the first volume came in a steelbook, while the second one came in a regular keepcase with a slipcover around it, with around shrinkwrap over the whole thing. Not that I have a hardon for steelbooks, but if there's one thing I simply can't stand, it's changing a packaging format during the run of a series. Especially short ones (like the recent slim third season of the original "Star Trek" on Blu-Ray) or in this case, one that ALREADY EXISTS in consistent packaging! Oy.

Sorry, this has been bugging me for weeks and it had to go somewhere.

That's not true. I saw Volume 2 in steelbook at Walmart just this week. Maybe the steelbook is a Walmart exclusive?
Old 02-22-10, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by dkedvd
That's not true. I saw Volume 2 in steelbook at Walmart just this week. Maybe the steelbook is a Walmart exclusive?
Very interesting, dkedvd.

The only place I was able to find this title was FYE. All the remaining major retailers (Best Buy, Target and even Wal-Mart) were only carrying it as an online item. I prefer to buy my DVDs in person to assure that I get a copy that's in nice condition. I do remember hearing that Wal-Mart was actually supposed to get this title 1 week early, but when I went to the store to buy it that week, it was not to be found. It wasn't there the next week, or the next. I actually hit quite a few Wal-Marts looking for this, since I didn't want to pay full MSRP at FYE. Upon finally checking with the Wal-Mart website, it confirmed the 1-week-early release date but it also indicated that the item was not available in stores. Based on what you say, it looks like that may have since changed. The website listing now gives the option of checking for availability of the title at local stores (though at the moment that feature seems not to be working). Still, I'm glad to hear that the steelbook version might now be easier to obtain than I'd been led to believe.

Having said all that, I simply can't imagine what could have compelled them to even produce a slipcase/keepcase version in the first place... sheesh!

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I keep seeing people complain about this....the first two seasons are seven discs, while the third season is only six discs...the Viva Elite brand/style of BD cases Paramount/CBS uses are a different size when you go down from seven to six discs...it's not like they "changed the packaging format" as has been done by other studios (going from a digipack foldout to slim plastic cases to one regular sized plastic case with flip pages, etc.)....
And WMAngel, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the situation with regard to the on the 6-disc//7-disc configurations. I still would have MUCH preferred that they retained the 7-disc packaging for the third and final season, if only for uniformity and neatness. They could have merely left the last disc slot empty, or here's a crazy idea -- they could have put in some kind of promo DVD featuring advertisements for other products (Paramount, Star Trek or otherwise).

Anyway, that's my take on the situation. But as I'm sure I've projected before, I'm fairly rigid and unforgiving on such matters...

Last edited by Ajay C; 02-22-10 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-22-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They could have merely left the last disc slot empty
I wouldn't even want to begin to imagine how many people would return it to the store saying there's a missing disc and not realizing it after opening multiple copies and seeing that same empty slot. Anyone that deals with customer service in any way would have to say the same.
Old 02-22-10, 08:14 PM

True, I thought of this possibility... which is why I posed the further suggestion of including a bonus promo disc in the 7th slot. You know, with advertisements for other DVD sets, other Star Trek merchandise, etc. This struck me as the more more feasible and likely option, given the concerns you cite.
Old 02-23-10, 05:47 PM

Very frustrating... was on the road today and managed to hit 3 separate NJ Wal-Mart locations. Not only did they not have the Ghostbusters volume 2 DVD, they no longer had volume 1 -- despite the fact that I'd bought it at one of those very locations just three weeks ago. No pocket for it, no shelf tag and the sales rep had no memory of ever seeing volume 2 (although that's not terribly surprising, they never know much). Are you absolutely positive you saw volume 2 at Wal-Mart, dkedvd, steelbook or otherwise? Not that I don't believe you, but I'm trying to be very thorough about this and so far I'm not finding evidence of its availability. Any additional info you could provide would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-24-10, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Weird. When Volume 1 came out, I could not find it in stores for at least a couple of weeks.
Old 02-24-10, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I wouldn't even want to begin to imagine how many people would return it to the store saying there's a missing disc and not realizing it after opening multiple copies and seeing that same empty slot. Anyone that deals with customer service in any way would have to say the same.
I'm pretty sure you can order larger cases with removed hubs. The newer "Futurama" and "Arrested Development" packaging is designed to hold up to six discs, but on sets holding less, the hubs that would hold discs are not present. The "ring" that outlines where the disc would go is there, but no hub.
Old 02-24-10, 08:32 AM
Banned

Very frustrating... was on the road today and managed to hit 3 separate NJ Wal-Mart locations. Not only did they not have the Ghostbusters volume 2 DVD, they no longer had volume 1 -- despite the fact that I'd bought it at one of those very locations just three weeks ago. No pocket for it, no shelf tag and the sales rep had no memory of ever seeing volume 2 (although that's not terribly surprising, they never know much). Are you absolutely positive you saw volume 2 at Wal-Mart, dkedvd, steelbook or otherwise? Not that I don't believe you, but I'm trying to be very thorough about this and so far I'm not finding evidence of its availability. Any additional info you could provide would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Yep. As of Tuesday my local store still had a bunch of volume twos [650 South Trooper Road - Norristown, PA 19403 - (610) 631-6750]. Don't recall if they were still in steelbooks are not.
Old 02-25-10, 05:03 PM

Thanks for the store info and phone number, dkedvd. Obsessive freak that I am, I just called and spoke with someone in the electronics department. I asked him to tell me whether or not they had the title in stock, which he did (and they did). When I asked him to describe the packaging, he said that it was a "cardboard cover over a plastic box," a la the keepcase I spotted at FYE. I asked him if he was sure there weren't any versions in a metal case, so he double checked and said they were all the same as the first one. At this point, I'm inclined to believe that there are in fact no steelbook versions, and that you probably saw this same keepcase version yourself. I really wish the steelbook did exist (for the reasons outlined above), but at least at this point I feel I can stop looking for it. Thanks very much for the input, see ya around the boards.
Old 03-08-10, 09:02 PM
Cool New Member

We're still waiting here in the UK I think. Loved this series as a kid!