Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else psyched about the Gamecube?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is anyone else psyched about the Gamecube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-01, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just really hope that the "Luigi's Mansion" and "Zelda" previews that they showed are actually snippets from games in progress and not just stuff they made up to wow the crowds...
Old 03-14-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by MWoody
Originally posted by cloud
You guys seem to forget several points WRT DVD's

1)DVD's offer constant streaming and therefore shorter load times.

2)Dolby surround and even possibly 5.1 surround sound is possible.

3)Several of the recent PC games, in particular RPG's have been on multiple CD's and not because of the inclusion of FMV's. Baldurs Gate is being developed for the PS2 and would be better on one DVD then four or five CD's.
1) There is no reason you can't stream off a CD. It's all a matter of making commonly accessed data contiguous, unless I'm misunderstanding something about the format.

2) The media type has nothing to do with sound quality. Conker's Bad Fur Day, for example, even has 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound in a cartridge.

3) There were FMVs in BG. And when you figure that much of the data is repeated from disc to disc, and consoles work with lower quality graphics due to their lower resolution, a format 3 times as large as a CD should be more than enough to hold the largest non-FMV games. I mean, c'mon, look at all the kickass games N64 has had, with that miniscule amount of space.
1)As far as I know CD's technically cannot offer constant sreaming of data.

2)If Conkers Bad Fur Day has surround then it has to be 2.0 or Pro Logic. There is no way you can have 5.1 on a cartridge, it's not even possible on a CD or VHS tape.

3)I fail to see the point here. More capacity means bigger games and the PS2 and X Box can do comprable resolutions to a computer. As far as the N64 is concerned it may have had big games reletively speaking but it had to use repeated textures and colors to do so. Not my idea of a good game. Not only that but all N64 games look very similar because of this.
Old 03-14-01, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MWoody

1) There is no reason you can't stream off a CD. It's all a matter of making commonly accessed data contiguous, unless I'm misunderstanding something about the format.

2) The media type has nothing to do with sound quality. Conker's Bad Fur Day, for example, even has 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound in a cartridge.

3) There were FMVs in BG. And when you figure that much of the data is repeated from disc to disc, and consoles work with lower quality graphics due to their lower resolution, a format 3 times as large as a CD should be more than enough to hold the largest non-FMV games. I mean, c'mon, look at all the kickass games N64 has had, with that miniscule amount of space.
A few things, taken a point at a time:

1)Feasibly you COULD stream DD 5.1 from a CD, but it would take a LOT of them to do it. If you were referring to just load times, then no, not TOO much noticeable difference.

2) Conker supports Dolby Pro Logic, NOT Dolby Digital 5.1. BIG difference there. Pro logic is essentially your fronts with mono rears. Also, the sound samples from Conker were reduced, lessening the quality of the sound. Listen to the voices in any PS2 or even a PS game, and there is a BIG difference.

3) The N64 didn't have too many kick ass games (OK, thats my opinion, disregard it)... The "lower quality" graphics don't have too much to do with space required on a storage medium for these "next-generation" systems. Yes, there is a difference between an Atari 2600 game and a PS2 game in resolution, but not too much between a PC game and what they are hoping to do with the Gamecube and X-Box. Am I saying 1.5 gigs isn't enough for a typical run of the mill game? No, but I will say that developers like it more when they are given more space to program for.
Old 03-14-01, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by cartman

Am I saying 1.5 gigs isn't enough for a typical run of the mill game? No, but I will say that developers like it more when they are given more space to program for.
Yeah sure developers don't mind having more room. To bad Sony charges 30 cents more a game for that extra room. (In other words a normal CD costs 70 cents, where a DVD game costs 1.00) And sense the DVD's cost more, and a lot more over a large volume, It's usually not the guys making the games decision what format to go with. Usually it's some buisness guy that knows nothing but numbers.

Also, the 5.1 audio you are touting is being done on the PS2 as being a "Big difference" well... hate to break it to you but alot of those "big difference" titles you are talking about are coming off a regular CD. Just thought you might like to know.
Old 03-14-01, 10:14 AM

People have used multiple cd's for games in the past. One 1.5 gig disc is roughly equal to 2 cd's, so there is a lot of data there and adding a second disc should be adequate for even the most complex games attempted for the system.

From what I've read the Gamecube is simply using a smaller version of the dvd disc, so it is every bit as capable as a full size dvd disc. Even more importanly, because of the new format all new games will most likely be dvd based and not cd based.

As far as surround sound goes, no game has greater then pro-logic sound for in game sound. 5.1 seperate channels can only be decoded by an external decoder (unless 5.1 channel outputs are included on the console) which would mean that only cut scenes/fmv's could truely benefit from 5.1 soundtracks (assuming the gamer had the proper equipment). There is no processor that can handle actively mixing a videogame soundtrack to 6 seperate channels and still be practical in a console system i.e. costs is to significant.