New DVD Drivers To Be Included With GT3

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New DVD Drivers To Be Included With GT3

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-01, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least that is what the latest PSM is saying!

Even more of a reason to get it now!

Oh yeah, GT3=Gran Tourismo 3 in case you are wondering!

[Edited by Hetz on 02-23-01 at 05:03 PM]
Old 02-23-01, 11:34 PM

New drivers with GT3? So you actually have to BUY a game (even if you don't want it) to get things to work better?

If you though that Microsoft was bad... at least DirectX is free!
Old 02-24-01, 07:38 AM

Well, you could always rent it...and update the drivers that way.

I'm sure they will also be included with the Offical Playstation Mag's Demo CD as well, kind of like what Sega did with their web browser updates...
Old 02-24-01, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Ha! I love Sony. Okay, you want your crappy PS2 to keep working then you had better keep buying our games. Love it. They ought to design the system, so if you don't buy a new game every couple of months it locks you out and won't let you play anything at all.
Old 02-24-01, 11:06 AM

The PS2 is NOT crappy!

Anyway, the machine will still work perfectly if you don't use the updated drivers. The drivers in fact add many new options to DVD playback, which is a GOOD thing!

It's amazing how people love to distort the truth.

[Edited by Hetz on 02-24-01 at 09:10 AM]
Old 02-24-01, 02:03 PM

There's no distorting that the PS2 is pretty dismal. This whole DVD driver thing is ridiculous too. Sony, only Sony... Why do people keep sticking up for their ludicrous decisions and their poorly made hardware??? Forget the fact that they have made a total of TWO games for their own system, and neither of them are anything to write home about.
Old 02-24-01, 02:08 PM
AOD

Originally posted by darkside
Ha! I love Sony. Okay, you want your crappy PS2 to keep working then you had better keep buying our games. Love it. They ought to design the system, so if you don't buy a new game every couple of months it locks you out and won't let you play anything at all.
If you don't like it, THEN DON'T BUY IT! Why come it here when all you're going to do is bash it. You should be looking a another thread....some people...
Old 02-24-01, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by greddy1
Originally posted by darkside
If you don't like it, THEN DON'T BUY IT! Why come it here when all you're going to do is bash it. You should be looking a another thread....some people...
Please, I have been a gamer since the Atari 2600. I have ever major console ever made and have had a love/hate relationship with many of them. Sony should have gotten the DVD drivers right in the first place. Its great that they are putting out updated drivers, but if having to buy new games is the only way to get it its a bit unfair. I was making a joke anyway. Try not to take things so seriously...some people...
Old 02-24-01, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Hetz
The PS2 is NOT crappy!

Anyway, the machine will still work perfectly if you don't use the updated drivers. The drivers in fact add many new options to DVD playback, which is a GOOD thing!

It's amazing how people love to distort the truth.

[Edited by Hetz on 02-24-01 at 09:10 AM]
Yeah, I really hated the way Sony distorted the truth about the PS2. All console launches are rough. The Dreamcast had bad GD-Roms, The Playstation would overheat, the 3DO had some FZ-1s that had bad CD-Roms. There is always a lack of software as well. Sony's launch just seems to be worst than most IMO. A lot of bad software combined with a very suspect system. I am on my third PS2 console already. The first had the DVD-drive motor fail (a major problem in Europe), the second would not play DVDs at all (something even Sony could not figure out), and the third is working, but still has problems that hopefully the new drivers will fix. Maybe I'm being a little critical of Sony right now, but they are deserving of it. Of course MGS2 might smooth things over for me.
Old 02-24-01, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are problems with PS2 DVD playback? Haven't seen any myself; works like a charm.

And, let me get this straight, are people actually unhappy with Sony's implementation of a plan to update their software over time? It's the single best idea I've ever heard for a system! They can add all kinds of cool stuff.

Do you guys own Dreamcast, N64, and PS2? That's the only way to make a reasonable judgement, really. I do, and all three have their pros and cons.
Old 02-24-01, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

First of all let me say that I have had no problems with my PS2 including DVD playback.

Second of all I have no idea why people are complaining about updating drivers, when you have to do it for PC components all the time.

Thirdly, who said the only way you will be able to get updated drivers only by buying a game, and even if that was the case are you saying you are never going to buy any games for the system, that it's just a show piece or something. More then likely if there are updated drivers they will available in several ways, and if they put them on game discs then they will come with all games not just a select few. IMHO there is no basis for such a complaint. Not to mention as has been mentioned before time and time again every system has it's pros and cons.
Old 02-24-01, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think Sony should be patted on the back for creating a system that can be updated to add new dvd features or fix any playback problems. I have a toshiba 3109- I have been lucky but many people have purchased toshibas and had to send them in to a factor repair center to upgrade the drivers.I am not aware of any stand alone dvd player that allows the user to rent a dvd or get new drivers from a video game magazine to upgrade the stability of your dvd playback. i would thank them if i was you. or go into the home theater forum and ask owners who had to go to a mail center and mail their dvd player across the country in order to do this or who had to pay to do this.

I would buy GT3 anyway. it will be a great game with great graphics!
Old 02-24-01, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The rental thing is a good point. Even if you don't want the game, $5 rental to update your drivers is a pretty decent deal considering the costs of getting most DVD players updated. The DVD playback is not the biggest deal in the world since I have three other players at home. However, I liked using the PS2 when I would go out of town and wanted to take a few DVDs with me. I have had trouble with several DVDs including Gladiator and hopefully the new drivers may fix some of this.
Old 02-24-01, 09:08 PM

I have some problems with the lip-sync of certain DVD's (seems to happen most often when I am listening to the DTS soundtrack) but other than that everything has been fine. I hope the new drivers will fix this lip-sync problem. I hear that Sony standalone DVD players had this problem as well, but was later fixed in a firmware update.
Old 02-24-01, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't believe that sony is putting the drivers on GT3 so that you will buy the game...actually I think it's quite the opposite. They probably chose GT3 because that's the first killer ap for the system and they know that probably something like 80%-90% of all ps2 owners will likely purchase that title thus making it the easiest way to get the drivers into the most systems at once. I'm sure, however, that the small percentage of people who choose not to purchase GT3 will be able to get the drivers via some other avenue.
Old 02-25-01, 06:12 AM
Cool New Member

I bet sony's put new drivers on GT3 to screw up the new neo2 modchip
Old 02-25-01, 10:18 AM

Just to make sure... is Sony releasing new DRIVERS or new FIRMWARES? (it is not the same thing! I would allow a newbie to mess up with drivers... but I would never allow him to touch to firmwares!)
Old 02-25-01, 04:17 PM
Mod Emeritus

This is the same company that is releasing a Metal Gear Solid 2 demo on the game ZOE, what more could you expect?
Old 02-25-01, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
This is the same company that is releasing a Metal Gear Solid 2 demo on the game ZOE, what more could you expect?
huh?

that's konami's choice, not sony's
Old 02-25-01, 07:26 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Actually the Dreamcast did have updates...if you bought there magazine with the Disc.
Old 02-25-01, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Actually the Dreamcast did have updates...if you bought there magazine with the Disc.
Which is better than having to buy a game to get the updates. Also you could download them off the internet...PS2 can't do that.