Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

When you buy a video game console, do you usually buy the original model or the "slim" revision?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: When you buy a video game console, do you usually buy the original model or the "slim" rev
Original model.
60.00%
Slim revision.
0%
Each video game console purchase is different.
40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

When you buy a video game console, do you usually buy the original model or the "slim" revision?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-20, 07:20 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 03-14-20, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: When you buy a video game console, do you usually buy the original model or the "slim" revision?

I buy my shit at launch yo.
Old 03-14-20, 07:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: When you buy a video game console, do you usually buy the original model or the "slim" revision?

original. even if years later, whatever is out. 360 never had one, i don't think and got One fairly close to launch (1 year actually). when it comes to game consoles they are never too cumbersome...

Last edited by OldBoy; 03-14-20 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-14-20, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I buy my shit at launch yo.
Typically this, however Xbox One being the shitshow it was at launch meant I waiting for some kind of exclusive game/console one-two to get me to buy in. That ended up being the Halo console + Tomb Raider exclusivity.

Similar story for the Switch being a WiiU rehash dumping ground I had little interest until this week (Animal Crossing console + Tetris 99 exclusivity).

PS5 will be day one and the next Xbox will be wait and see.
Old 03-14-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Well judging by the question I assume he means if you're buying a system where already two versions are out. For me if I'm getting a system after launch I usually go with the newer version. I have a PS3 super slim which I've had for a few years after selling my fat one. I sold my original Xbox One to a coworker and picked up a slim shortly after those came out.
Old 03-14-20, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ahh, good point Questyen. Then yeah, it depends on bundles, pricing or console design (see Halo).
Old 03-14-20, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We rarely buy systems right at launch. We at least wait a few months to shake out the bugs.
Old 03-15-20, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Usually the original model.
Old 03-15-20, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Original model.
Old 03-15-20, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

It depends. Sometimes the revised models are improved in a variety of ways. Plus I rarely buy things at launch. I only have with Vita and Switch.
Old 03-15-20, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I usually wait a bit before buying a console, so most of mine have been revisions.
Old 03-15-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
original. even if years later, whatever is out. 360 never had one, i don't think and got One fairly close to launch (1 year actually). when it comes to game consoles they are never too cumbersome...
The 360 had a few revisions:

Two major hardware revisions of the Xbox 360 have succeeded the original models; the Xbox 360 S (also referred to as the "Slim") replaced the original "Elite" and "Arcade" models in 2010. The S model carries a smaller, streamlined appearance with an angular case, and utilizes a redesigned motherboard designed to alleviate the hardware and overheating issues experienced by prior models. It also includes a proprietary port for use with the Kinect sensor.[22][96][97] The Xbox 360 E, a further streamlined variation of the 360 S with a two-tone rectangular case inspired by Xbox One, was released in 2013. In addition to its revised aesthetics, the Xbox 360 E also has one fewer USB port, no AV connector (and thus is HDMI-only), and no longer supports S/PDIF.[98]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360
Old 03-15-20, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think I ever saw the Xbox 360 E. It's not as cool looking as the Slim.