Reload this Page >

Critically acclaimed games that didn't "click" with you

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-19-17, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Figured that I would start this thread. I've been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn for a couple of weeks now, and the game just isn't clicking with me. Don't get me wrong, I can see it's a great game, can see why others would like it, and enjoy it. But I just can't get into it no matter how much I play it and hope I will.

The Doom remake was another one for me. I played it for about a week, and just never got into it. I felt the Wolfenstein remake was better in everyway, whereas this just seemed less exciting.
Old 07-19-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Critically acclaimed games that didn't "click" with you

This happen a lot with me and RPG's. Fallout and Mass Effect were two series I could never really get into. Not sure why, but I lost interest in both fairly quickly. I figured Mass Effect would be right up my alley considering how much I loved both KOTOR games and to a lesser extent Jade Empire.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 07-19-17 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-19-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Batman: Arkham City is the first one that springs to mind. Whatever the gaming equivalent of hate-fucking would be called, that's what playing it was like for me, even though I loved Arkham Asylum and would later feel compelled to 100% Arkham Knight (which suffered from significant flaws but was still greatly more enjoyable to me than AC).

Calling ARMS critically acclaimed might be a stretch since it has a sub-80% MetaCritic score, but that's the least amount of time I've spent with a full price game this generation for sure. I just cannot get into it.
Old 07-19-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with you about Doom, the gameplay got repetitive pretty quickly for me and that Wolfenstein was a much better shooter overall.

The Last of Us is always the one I think of. The story was excellent, but the gameplay was so mediocre. Just the same 3rd person mix of stealth/action that we've seen before, and i've always felt Naughty Dog combat just isn't as tight as it should be.
Old 07-19-17, 10:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wind Waker, only console Zelda I never finished.
Old 07-19-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

An older one, but I love telling this story:

Way back in the PS2 days, and demo discs were all the rage. I remember loading one up, and you're this dude on some thing like a pirate ship, and you were just hitting dudes and I gave up after 5 minutes and tossed the disc aside forever thinking, "well, that game won't do much for the company."

Spoiler:
God of War
Old 07-19-17, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts

Having never owned a PS2, when I hopped on board with the PS3 I figured I'd go back and hit a dozen or so games I missed out on. In that list? Ico & Shadow of the Colossus. Ico was fun enough(though too barren) but SOC was a fucking trainwreck. Between constantly fighting the controls(playing with one of the worst controllers ever didn't help) and gaming's shittiest camera, it felt like I was "fighting" the game more than playing/experiencing it. I gave up after 2 or 3 of the Colossi.

It was a cool concept, so I get why it has the appeal it does, but I don't think that wasn't ready for the generation it was stuck on. I also think a different developer could have pulled it off better.
Old 07-19-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

The Halo franchise
Old 07-19-17, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Everything you all have mentioned plus Final Fantasy and anything Mario for the last 20 years.
Old 07-19-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Beyond Good & Evil. Any game where you're required to take photos gets a thumbs down from me.
Old 07-19-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Having never owned a PS2, when I hopped on board with the PS3 I figured I'd go back and hit a dozen or so games I missed out on. In that list? Ico & Shadow of the Colossus. Ico was fun enough(though too barren) but SOC was a fucking trainwreck. Between constantly fighting the controls(playing with one of the worst controllers ever didn't help) and gaming's shittiest camera, it felt like I was "fighting" the game more than playing/experiencing it. I gave up after 2 or 3 of the Colossi.

It was a cool concept, so I get why it has the appeal it does, but I don't think that wasn't ready for the generation it was stuck on. I also think a different developer could have pulled it off better.
Shadow of the Colossus for me, for all the reasons you state (I cut my losses after the first Colossus).

I love RPGs, but Dark Souls is just not for me. Tried out of the franchise when I saw Dark Souls 2 was on sale. Gave it a few hours. I guess I like my RPGs to be stronger for story and characters. And while I'll not averse to hard and/or long games, I just wasn't enjoying playing it.
Old 07-19-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 550 Likes on 402 Posts

I'm assuming the OP is talking about games in genres you normally like.

The Witcher 3 is probably the big one recently. I tried both 2 and 3 when they were released on consoles and neither do anything for me.

Other ones off the top of my head: The Last Guardian, the Halo series, the Tales series, Sonic franchise.
Old 07-19-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Shadow of the Colossus for me, for all the reasons you state (I cut my losses after the first Colossus).

I love RPGs, but Dark Souls is just not for me.
Both of those immediately came to mind. SoC for the reasons given, and DS because I quickly tired of repeating areas. Even with the ability to quickly move past areas once completed, it was still irritating.
Old 07-19-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm another person that couldn't get in to Shadow of the Colossus. The controls were rough, and the bad frame rate didn't help.
Old 07-19-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be curious how much they change the controls for the Shadow of the Colossus remake/remaster next year. I thought it was fine when I played it back on PS2, but I'm sure my opinion would change if I tried playing it again today.

I toss in the Souls series as well. I tried playing Demon Souls and just couldn't wrap my head around the game. I've been meaning to try out Bloodborne to see if that would suit me more, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'll also mention Zelda BOTW. I still play the game here and there, but I don't get all the praise for it. I don't like the fighting mechanics and it feels old and outdated compared to the open world games today.
Old 07-19-17, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

I thought God of War (PS3) would be right up my alley, but I couldn't handle all the button-mashing.
Old 07-19-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Smash Bros / God Of War / The Souls Series / Zelda (blasphemy, I know)
Old 07-19-17, 05:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'll be curious how much they change the controls for the Shadow of the Colossus remake/remaster next year. I thought it was fine when I played it back on PS2, but I'm sure my opinion would change if I tried playing it again today.

I toss in the Souls series as well. I tried playing Demon Souls and just couldn't wrap my head around the game. I've been meaning to try out Bloodborne to see if that would suit me more, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'll also mention Zelda BOTW. I still play the game here and there, but I don't get all the praise for it. I don't like the fighting mechanics and it feels old and outdated compared to the open world games today.
If you didn't like the souls, you won't like bloodborne
Old 07-19-17, 09:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Recently: Shadow of Mordor and Dishonored. Both of which I intend to give another chance...
Old 07-19-17, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Demon's Souls; the former was boring and the latter I didn't have the patience for, although I loved the setting and atmosphere. I'd love to play Bloodbourne for the same reason, but I know it's similar to Demon's Souls...so I don't know.

Guns of the Patriot was garbage.
Old 07-19-17, 10:24 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Uncharted 3 and 4....

I actually think the first Uncharted is the best. The second one has grown on me over time, but I still stand by the idea that it felt like I was watching the greatest game ever made instead of playing it at times.

I have yet to finish 3 or 4. I don't know what it is, but I just got bored with them.

On a side note, I think The last of Us is one the greatest games ever made.
Old 07-19-17, 10:27 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Recently: Shadow of Mordor and Dishonored. Both of which I intend to give another chance...
Two other games I gave up on as well. With Shadow I just got bored..the game became too easy, and just did not click.

Dishonored felt like they wanted you to play however you wanted, then put up roadblocks to force you to play one particular way...and I just gave up on it.
Old 07-19-17, 11:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem and Demon's Souls; the former was boring and the latter I didn't have the patience for, although I loved the setting and atmosphere. I'd love to play Bloodbourne for the same reason, but I know it's similar to Demon's Souls...so I don't know.

Guns of the Patriot was garbage.
Oh man ED is like one of greatest games on earth. If you have a cube, boot that baby up and give another chance...
Old 07-20-17, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by foxdvd
Uncharted 3 and 4....

I actually think the first Uncharted is the best. The second one has grown on me over time, but I still stand by the idea that it felt like I was watching the greatest game ever made instead of playing it at times.

I have yet to finish 3 or 4. I don't know what it is, but I just got bored with them.

On a side note, I think The last of Us is one the greatest games ever made.
It's funny, since Uncharted 2 is probably one of my top 10 games of all time.
Old 07-20-17, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Same, Uncharted 2 was one of the finest games of last gen, albeit I'll agree the gameplay wasn't the hottest the overall package was great.

For me most critically acclaimed games don't really seem to click. While I loved Doom, Bloodborne and Breath of the Wild unlike some others, I can't seem to get into some of the more popular acclaimed titles like Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3 and up, The Last of Us, Journey, the latest Halo titles, GTA, Persona, etc;

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.