Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-29-17, 11:40 AM   #1
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Crash Bandicot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4 now, maybe others later) 6/30/17

I know there probably isn't a lot to discuss with a remake, but I am way excited for this one. The Crash trilogy were some of my favorite games on the PS1 and I played the hell out of them. I've played the demo in Best Buy and man, do the games look great now. And they play just like before. I have the game pre-ordered, pre-downloaded and waiting to be unlocked in a few hours from now.

It comes out tomorrow on the PS4 but it appears it will hit the Xbox One in December, according to a leak and the PC as well.

Glad to hear it came out so well

And here's a comparison video to show the update :

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 06-29-17, 12:34 PM   #2
james2025a
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Crash Bandicot N. Sane Trilogy (PS4 now, maybe others later) 6/30/17

Gonna be getting this. I loved the original games and played them to death. No bring on remasters of Spyro, Tenchu, Fighting Force and Bushido Blade.
Old 06-29-17, 12:45 PM   #3
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess my local Target put this out early. I saw it when I was there on Tuesday and just assumed it came out that day. I'm hoping our library ordered a couple copies. I can't see myself playing through all of them again, but wouldn't mind checking them out.
Old 06-29-17, 01:02 PM   #4
Kedrix
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Everything I'm reading about this one makes it sound fantastic. I really hope it does come to the X1 come December, I will snag it for sure.
Yes, I have my own webpage - @ Kedrix.net
Personal VUDU M2D Page -->http://www.kedrix.net/vudu-mobile-d2d/
Old 06-29-17, 10:14 PM   #5
Troy Stiffler
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Memories. I played the heck out of the original. One of five-or-so PS1 games I played a lot (before I mostly gave up gaming).
Old 06-30-17, 10:39 AM   #6
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Played a little bit this morning. Still tough as hell (at least for me), but it looks GREAT and that makes it a bit easier to play -- you can better judge jumps and enemy movements. It is a SOLID package and well-worth $40 in my opinion. Surprisingly, the gameplay really still holds up well some 20(!) years later -- with the graphical makeover, it really feels more like a new platforming game than a nostalgia exercise.

Old 07-01-17, 10:42 AM   #7
The Questyen
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always disliked the Crash Bandicoot games (mainly because of the poor controls especially compared to other platformers of the time). It's hard to go from playing the super smooth platforming of Mario titles to the herky-jerky movement of Crash where even the most basic platforming is an exercise in frustration.

I picked up this collection to see if I would enjoy it more with some polish and I like it slightly more but it's still a below average platformer (at least the first game). The controls while now analog still don't feel great. At least with a "hard game" you at least feel some sort of accomplishment when passing a level. With Crash it's difficult due to the poor platform detection, the inconsistent enemy hit boxes and the awkward controls. When I finish a level that I've died multiple times on I don't feel accomplishment or that I figured it out. I just feel happiness that I don't have to play that level again.

I might skip around to the included sequels to see if they feel better but I think Crash Bandicoot might just be a series that isn't for me.
Old 07-01-17, 01:29 PM   #8
bluetoast
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I might pick this up at a lower price. Now, if Crash Team Racing were revamped, I'd pick that up ASAP.
Old 07-01-17, 10:43 PM   #9
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
I might pick this up at a lower price. Now, if Crash Team Racing were revamped, I'd pick that up ASAP.
There are two trophies for Crash Bandicoot DLC listed :

Crash Bandicoot: Lost Treasures

Owners

G:1 S:1 B:0

2 Trophies • 120 Points

The Crown Jewel
Seek and destroy.
An Ancient Antiquity
Do hard time.

PSN Gamertag : Decker01

Old 07-03-17, 03:22 PM   #10
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Some good points made about the Remake here:

Old 07-03-17, 03:37 PM   #11
Mike86
DVD Talk Legend

I actually never played these games. I did play Crash Team Racing which was a pretty fun Mario Kart knock off.
Old 07-04-17, 12:15 PM   #12
Sonny Corinthos
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Activision CEO teases more Crash Bandicoot games following success of remake.

In the late 1990s, a very hyper, orange bandicoot took the world by storm with a PlayStation exclusive game developed by Naughty Dog. Of course, we're talking about the legendary Crash Bandicoot! The longtime mascot for PlayStation spawned a handful of sequels that branched out into other genres and he even made his way to other platforms like the original Xbox and Xbox 360.

The character was a big success but he slowly faded into obscurity during the Xbox 360/PS3 generation and for a chunk of the Xbox One/PS4 generation as well. Last week, he finally exploded back onto a scene with a PlayStation 4 exclusive game that features the first 3 Crash games completely remade.

The game has been a major critical success and fans have shown there's still demand for the character and Activision (current rights holder for Crash) have responded to the rabid fans.

Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg spoke about the future of Crash Bandicoot in an interview with GamesIndustry.biz stating that they are talking to a variety of teams and they're experimenting with the character.

"We are experimenting with Crash," he says. "We know there's a vocal fanbase that wanted that to come back. But you never know if that is emblematic of a larger audience or just this niche, nostalgia-based community.

So far, we are seeing some real passion for it, so that could lead to other things.

"Of course, we are always trying to find the next big thing. But our first priority is to make sure we are servicing the communities that we are already lucky enough to have."

Hopefully, this means we'll be getting an all-new Crash game in the coming years but it could also just mean that they're going to remake more Crash games to satisfy our craving.

Only time will tell what Activision is doing with Crash going forward but we can only hope it's nothing but good things!

Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy is out now on PlayStation 4 but an Xbox One release is rumored for later this year.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/activis...remake-3455305

I'm also hoping Crash Team Racing gets a makeover and release.
Old 07-05-17, 09:32 AM   #13
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

I like the graphics, controls and characters in these games, but playing through this Trilogy it's really just kind of a bland platformer.
Old 07-20-17, 03:20 PM   #14
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Free DLC level (if purchased by 8/19/17). Previously unreleased, Soul-crushingly hard level that was excised from Crash 1

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-...._Sane_Trilogy

Previously Unreleased Stormy Ascent Level Out Today for Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy

Taylor Kurosaki, formerly one of the original members of the Crash Bandicoot team at Naughty Dog, joins the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy Game Director, Dan Tanguay, from Vicarious Visions to talk about the notorious Stormy Ascent level. The previously unreleased Crash Bandicoot level, Stormy Ascent, is now coming to life in the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy.

How did this level come to be?

Taylor Kurosaki: Early in production of the original Crash Bandicoot game, everyone at Naughty Dog often wore multiple hats. However, by year two we were somewhat specialized and I went from artist to game designer. I ended up designing and laying out ¾ of the levels in the original Crash Bandicoot. And Stormy Ascent was one of mine.

Dan Tanguay: The team here at Vicarious Visions knew the fans really wanted Stormy Ascent, and so did we! One of the best players on the design team had beat the first game and wanted a new challenge. So, we told him to try the original Stormy Ascent. It took him 60 lives to get through it – needless to say it was much more challenging than he had expected. However, he still fell in love with it and we decided to bring it life.

Tell us about making Stormy Ascent
“It’s roughly four times longer than any other level in the original game.”

Taylor: I was new to games and game design back then; I didn’t have a great understanding of a difficulty curve. This level was so close to the end of the game and, you guessed it, it ended up being insanely difficult. As in, so difficult that it was hard for me, and I’m the guy who knew exactly how far Crash could jump, how late a player could take-off, and so on.

Dan: This is the “sister level” to Slippery Climb in the original Crash Bandicoot. It features the same assets but new challenges. It’s also roughly four times longer than any other level in the original game. Getting through it is a feat of both skill and endurance! Taylor’s right, it’s considered to be not only one of the most difficult levels in the original Crash Bandicoot, but probably in the entire N. Sane Trilogy.

It was challenging to first master the level so that we could accurately remaster it. In particular, the timing of the level was challenging to get right. The hazards and platforms steadily increase in speed as you go along!

It never actually shipped, right?

Taylor: Yes. It was one of the last levels I finished during production, and as we prepared to deliver our Gold Master to Sony for manufacturing, the decision was made to cut it. It was playable, but just too damn difficult, and we ran out of time to make it easier. It remained on the disc as it was less risky just leaving it rather than trying to remove it. It was basically hidden, but it was there.
“It was playable, but just too damn difficult.”

Dan: Fans found it though, using Gameshark.

Taylor: I think it’s cool when fans find hidden things in games, this was no exception. I was glad it somewhat found the light of day, and I think it’s an awesome level.

In 2017, games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne are all the rage. People like games that are difficult! We were so ahead of the curve! Now Stormy Ascent is alive as part of the Vicarious Visions-developed Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. Go forth and enjoy!

Click here to download Stormy Ascent for the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy for free through August 19, 2017.

Last edited by Decker; 07-20-17 at 03:27 PM..
Old 07-20-17, 03:32 PM   #15
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks!

I've been playing through Crash 1. Man, some levels are hard... there's a weird glitch/quirk (which was apparently in the original game, too) in the Hog Wild level (very early in the game) where the timing of one of your jumps has to be far more exact than any previous jump. I must have killed Crash 30 times before I googled it to see if others had the same problem.

So I'm sure I'll HATE Stormy Ascent, but at least it's free!
Old 07-20-17, 03:45 PM   #16
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Holy Hell!