Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-01-17, 05:24 PM   #201
wtsang

Re: The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

The shooters are a must-add after the inevitable USB hack comes out. Despite its reputation vs. the Genesis, the best SNES shooters are among the best ever.

I like the substance and tenor of the statement from N. I don't feel like they need to meet ALL the demand as long as they are clear with the messaging and have provided reasonable opportunity to get a machine by year's end. They've already stated up-front that this is a 2017 product only and now it looks like there will be retail-wide preorders with advance notice.

I'll be looking for the Target hookup. RedCard benefits still win out.
Old 08-02-17, 01:17 PM   #202
Drexl
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Looking at the original list again, it struck me that one genre that is missing entirely is the side scrolling shooter. I loved those hard-as-poop games back in the day on the SNES and Genesis. Gradius III, R-Type III, Thunder Spirits, Axelay, Darius, Raiden, etc. Your small spaceship going against waves and waves of other spaceships along with giant bosses at the end of each stage.
And you didn't even mention UN Squadron. That one may be my favorite.
Old 08-05-17, 10:31 AM   #203
Mike86
DVD Talk Legend

I see that Amazon has the Playing With Super Power: Nintendo SNES Classics book up. I never picked up the first one but it seemed like a nice book.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...rue&pldnSite=1
Old 08-06-17, 12:58 PM   #204
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

So when I was on vacation in Asia in June, I picked up an Android EBox from Singapore.

Didn't realize it until about 2 weeks ago, but I could download a SNES Emulator on it and have access to hundreds of games. I tried it this past week and so far it works pretty great. I bought a blue tooth gamepad from Amazon as my controller and it's literally a console with every possible game on SNES you could think of. Only drawback is that sometimes the app freezes and crashes occasionally.

Guess there is no need to kill myself to try to get this SNES classic anymore.
Old 08-06-17, 01:08 PM   #205
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Didn't realize it until about 2 weeks ago, but I could download a SNES Emulator on it and have access to hundreds of games...
Guess there is no need to kill myself to try to get this SNES classic anymore.
Playing pirated games on a cheap Android TV box has been around for years, although a lot of people have been recommending a Raspberry Pi if you're going to "build your own."

The appeal of the official Nintendo boxes has been that they're legal, available in stores, easy to use, don't crash randomly, and look like how people remember them.
Old 08-06-17, 01:18 PM   #206
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Playing pirated games on a cheap Android TV box has been around for years, although a lot of people have been recommending a Raspberry Pi if you're going to "build your own."

The appeal of the official Nintendo boxes has been that they're legal, available in stores, easy to use, don't crash randomly, and look like how people remember them.
If I can find it without going through excessive hoops & price gouging, I will most definitely prefer getting officially licensed product.

As I said, the occasional crashing is a turnoff. But, it's an adequate fill-in for the time being.
Old 08-06-17, 01:23 PM   #207
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Are they really though?
Old 08-06-17, 04:04 PM   #208
Jay G.
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
Are they really though?
Well, the NES Classic wasn't readily available in stores. We'll have to wait to see how the SNES Classic fares.
Old 08-06-17, 05:23 PM   #209
Mike86
DVD Talk Legend

Nintendo's critical error with the NES Classic was the fact that they didn't announce up front that it was a limited edition item. They should have made that clear right off the bat instead of saying it after it was no longer available/being produced. At least this time around they are saying that it's not something that will be around permanently and it seems like they know people are pissed about the NES Classic still so hopefully they intend to put out a good number of them so most of us who want it can get it.
Old 08-06-17, 07:09 PM   #210
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
If I can find it without going through excessive hoops & price gouging, I will most definitely prefer getting officially licensed product.

As I said, the occasional crashing is a turnoff. But, it's an adequate fill-in for the time being.
...get a pi 3 after the next iteration comes out (should drop from $35 to $25 or $30, tho no word on a 4 yet), they don't crash.
Old 08-06-17, 08:59 PM   #211
wtsang

Quote:
Nintendo's critical error with the NES Classic was the fact that they didn't announce up front that it was a limited edition item.
This. In fact, they actually claimed it WAS NOT limited right before the launch. Turned around, did the exact opposite, and - whether true or not - absolutely created the impression they were intentionally manipulating their customers.

As much built-up irritation as I hold towards this company, I've already stated above that I am perfectly fine with the approach they seem to be taking right now - and that includes if they don't manage to get an SNES into everyone's hands. It's all about clear messaging and the appearance of respect.
Old 08-06-17, 09:29 PM   #212
Mike86
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I don't remember them saying it wasn't a limited edition item but either way they poorly communicated with consumers. I wanted the NES Classic but at the end of the day I have the cartridges for the games I really wanted on it and have Virtual Console copies of some of the others. I'd probably still buy one if I had the chance though.