Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

Old 06-26-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

This will go right next to my NES Classic. I will hack it as well and put everything on there. I will rarely, if ever, play it, but I don't care. I'm in for the form factor.

I think it's baffling that this console appears to have changed the controller input ports to either match the original connections or be miniature versions of them. I get why they'd do that for legacy compatibility, but I don't understand why then the NES didn't do the same? The NES supports the Wii Classic Controller which is essentially an SNES controller. Why wouldn't the SNES Classic follow suit?

Fuckin' Nintendo gonna Nintendo. And fuckin' Brent gonna fuckin' buy.
Old 06-26-17, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 799 Likes on 589 Posts
Re: The inevitable SNES Classic is coming (inc. Starfox 2!; 21 games, 9/29/17, $80)

I'm going to attempt to get one of these, but recently I found my original Super NES in a shoe box at my parents' house with ten games in it. I'm going to hook it up and see if it still works. I have never played Earthbound or the original Star Fox. That's the main reason why I'm going to try to get a classic.
Old 06-26-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
too bad no Super Star Wars games...
I don't agree with you on much... but on this, I do!
Old 06-26-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll try and preorder if I see them available. Won't go out of my way to get one though.
Old 06-26-17, 01:57 PM
Political Exile

Received 474 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Some better than others. Nintendo seems to focus on Nintendo titles being included so they'd do alright.

Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda OOT and MM, Banjo-Kazooie, Mario Kart 64, Conker's, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox 64, Blast Corps, 1080, Wave Race 64, Paper Mario, Ogre Battle, Rayman 2, Pilot Wings, Mischief Makers, Mario Party, Smash Bros, Tetrisphere, etc; all aged pretty decently
N64 would have to support 4 controllers since that was the big draw of the system.

Also N64 was the first system with Pokemon games. Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2, Pokemon Snap, and Pokemon Puzzle were all pretty good games. I don't think the Pokemon Stadium games made it onto the Virtual Console though.
Old 06-26-17, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Some better than others. Nintendo seems to focus on Nintendo titles being included so they'd do alright.

Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda OOT and MM, Banjo-Kazooie, Mario Kart 64, Conker's, Diddy Kong Racing, Star Fox 64, Blast Corps, 1080, Wave Race 64, Paper Mario, Ogre Battle, Rayman 2, Pilot Wings, Mischief Makers, Mario Party, Smash Bros, Tetrisphere, etc; all aged pretty decently
A few of those are Rare titles that might have licensing issues since Rare was never fully owned by Nintendo and instead is now part of Microsoft.

Notably, Rare re-released Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Blast Corps on Xbox. MS likely isn't going to be too big on making them available on a rival's console.

Nintendo probably owns the rights to the games featuring Nintendo characters that Rare developed, such as Donkey Kong Country on the SNES Classic, but any Rare "originals" are unlikely.
Old 06-26-17, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If it wasn't for the THQ Wrestling games and Goldeneye I probably would not have played my N64 much.
Old 06-26-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
too bad no Super Star Wars games...
I have those on the PS4. Holy shit, they're tough!
Old 06-26-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Notably, Rare re-released Banjo-Kazooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and Blast Corps on Xbox. MS likely isn't going to be too big on making them available on a rival's console.
I'm skeptical that they'd be included as well, but anything's possible. Nintendo is allowing Minecraft players to login using Xbox Live, and several Rare titles were released on the Game Boy Advance years after the acquisition. If Microsoft is willing to accept whatever licensing fee Nintendo's offering (assuming the N64 Classic ever even comes to market)...
Old 06-26-17, 02:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,178 Likes on 833 Posts

A few of those are Rare titles that might have licensing issues since Rare was never fully owned by Nintendo and instead is now part of Microsoft.

Nintendo probably owns the rights to the games featuring Nintendo characters that Rare developed, such as Donkey Kong Country on the SNES Classic, but any Rare "originals" are unlikely.
Like Adam, I think it's possible. If MS (or specifically, Phil Spencer) is serious about the stated goal of trying to preserve the ability to play old games legally, they might allow Nintendo to relicense the use of those Rare games... Unless Spencer really does want that kind of thing just for his company.
Old 06-26-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

No Tetris Attack, no sale!
Old 06-26-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'm skeptical that they'd be included as well, but anything's possible. Nintendo is allowing Minecraft players to login using Xbox Live, and several Rare titles were released on the Game Boy Advance years after the acquisition...
Rare was acquired in 2002. I'm seeing most of the GBA titles released through 2005, meaning they were likely in production before the acquisition, so they were mainly just completing and releasing existing projects:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eloped_by_Rare

For example, It's Mr. Pants, released in 2005, was announced in 2001 as Donkey Kong Coconut Crackers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Mr._Pants

There is a single Nintendo DS Rare "original" title, Viva Pińata: Pocket Paradise , released in 2008. However, I don't think MS sees a handheld as a competitor, as MS isn't in the handheld market. Still, it's been 9 years since a new Rare title has appeared on a Nintendo system.

None of the Rare original N64 titles have ever appeared on the Wii or WiiU Virtual Consoles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...a)#Nintendo_64
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...a)#Nintendo_64
Old 06-26-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
nintendo hasn't learned from any of their mistakes, ever.

(Yeah, that's hyperbole... Still...)

I'd buy these games for $4 each on the Switch though.
Hopefully they learned enough to make the controller cords on this at least twice as long as the NES.
Old 06-26-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts

However, I don't think MS sees a handheld as a competitor, as MS isn't in the handheld market.
By the same token, a novelty set top box that may only be available for a few months is kind of its own unique thing as well. I don't consider it to be quite the same situation as Virtual Console, since that's more of an ongoing thing.

Don't get me wrong -- I completely agree with everything you're saying, and I don't think it's likely we'll see Rare represented beyond DK64. (Honestly, I don't think a Nintendo 64 Classic is especially likely either, but I guess we'll see next Fall.) I'm not holding my breath, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Nintendo and Microsoft could work something out. Microsoft did just give Rare Replay away to folks who streamed their E3 conference.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 06-26-17 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-26-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
By the same token, a novelty set top box that may only be available for a few months is kind of its own unique thing as well. I don't consider it to be quite the same situation as Virtual Console, since that's more of an ongoing thing.

Don't get me wrong -- I completely agree with everything you're saying, and I don't think it's likely we'll see Rare represented beyond DK64. (Honestly, I don't think a Nintendo 64 Classic is especially likely either, but I guess we'll see next Fall.) I'm not holding my breath, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Nintendo and Microsoft could work something out. Microsoft did just give Rare Replay away to folks who streamed their E3 conference.
There are plenty of great 64 games. Mario, Metroid , two Zeldas, three DKCs?, F-Zero, even that mario golf game was awesome.
Old 06-26-17, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 544 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
There are plenty of great 64 games. Mario, Metroid , two Zeldas, three DKCs?, F-Zero, even that mario golf game was awesome.
There is no Metroid on the Nintendo 64 nor is there three Donkey Kong Country games.
Old 06-26-17, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

I'll do the opposite of my NES-mini prediction and say that no one, ever will find this in any store at any time ever and forever!

I would get this (if I found it without any effort), even though I already own an SNES along with all the games on this, except for 3 which don't care for anyways. So it would be redundant, but a pretty sweet redundancy.
Old 06-26-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
There is no Metroid on the Nintendo 64 nor is there three Donkey Kong Country games.
Let it never be said I am living in the past, lol.
Old 06-26-17, 04:18 PM
Political Exile

Received 474 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Yeah, it was just called Donkey Kong 64 and came in a yellow cartridge.
Old 06-26-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are all the Nintendo-published N64 games, according to Wiki:

Spoiler:
1080° Snowboarding
Animal Crossing
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Blast Corps
Bomberman 64
Bomberman Hero
Command & Conquer
Cruis'n USA
Cruis'n World
Custom Robo
Custom Robo V2
Donkey Kong 64
Dr. Mario 64
Excitebike 64
F-1 World Grand Prix
F-Zero X
GoldenEye 007
Hey You, Pikachu!
Itoi Shigesato no Bass Tsuri No. 1
Ken Griffey, Jr.'s Slugfest
Killer Instinct Gold
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
Kobe Bryant in NBA Courtside
Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffey, Jr.
Mario Golf
Mario Kart 64
Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Mario Party 3
Mario Tennis
Mickey's Speedway USA
Mischief Makers
NBA Courtside 2: Featuring Kobe Bryant
Paper Mario
Pilotwings 64
Pocket Monsters Stadium
Pokémon Puzzle League
Pokémon Snap
Pokémon Stadium
Pokémon Stadium 2
Ridge Racer 64
Sin and Punishment
Star Fox 64
Star Wars Episode I: Racer
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
StarCraft 64
Super Mario 64
Super Smash Bros.
Tetrisphere
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The New Tetris
Waialae Country Club: True Golf Classics
Wave Race 64
Yoshi's Story
Old 06-26-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Where's Pilotwings?
Or Actraiser.
Old 06-26-17, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's baffling that this console appears to have changed the controller input ports
I wouldn't fret yet. It doesn't look like those SNES-type ports are actually functional. Of course, then, where do the pads actually plug in?

It's been announced that Nintendo increased the length of the cords to... five feet. Way to fix something without actually fixing it. You will still not be able to leave the machine set up in your A/V rack across the room.

The biggest question with this thing is if N will have gone to any effort to stop it from being hacked. I would not be surprised to see its power port is no longer USB-based. You can bet that they arrogantly/cluelessly did not predict what would happen with the NES Classic, and you can also be sure they absolutely hated what ended up being widely done with the thing. For those in the know, if the SNES ends up locked to its original selection of games, it will end up the far inferior choice.
Old 06-26-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
You can bet that they arrogantly/cluelessly did not predict what would happen with the NES Classic, and you can also be sure they absolutely hated what ended up being widely done with the thing. For those in the know, if the SNES ends up locked to its original selection of games, it will end up the far inferior choice.
Pretty sure they could predict it, considering their engineers aren't morons and know what the size limits are in the hardware that they designed, and methods of accessing that information. Also, they included a message to hackers:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gee...039/%3Famp%3D1
Old 06-26-17, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
You can bet that they arrogantly/cluelessly did not predict what would happen with the NES Classic, and you can also be sure they absolutely hated what ended up being widely done with the thing. For those in the know, if the SNES ends up locked to its original selection of games, it will end up the far inferior choice.
Pretty sure they could predict it, considering their engineers aren't morons and know what the size limits are in the hardware that they utilized, and methods of accessing that information. Also, they included a message to hackers:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gee...039/%3Famp%3D1
Old 06-26-17, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hadn't seen that; pretty cool.

No, of course their engineers aren't morons, but N is typically very proactive against hacks and one of the more hardline companies in standing against emulation/piracy. It's hard to envision their upper management signing off on that release with a full understanding of how easily and extensively it would be hacked. Probably a typical corporate situation where the grunts knew exactly what was going on and collectively rolled their eyes at the way the executives confidently marched ahead. It would be interesting to know exactly what went down inside the company as more and more hacking news broke..

I will be looking forward to seeing whether or not the SNES retains USB connectivity.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.