Reload this Page >

Vampyr (X1, PS4, PC) - Nov 17

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-08-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

From Dontnod Entertainment, creators of Life is Strange (and Remember Me).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_YLhQJSwCQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I feel like i'll buy this just to support Dontnod since i loved Life is Strange so much, but we'll see
Old 06-08-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Vampyr (X1, PS4, PC) - Nov 17

If you really want to support them, then buy the game for a bunch of us.
Old 06-08-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Music
If you really want to support them, then buy the game for a bunch of us.
Old 06-13-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 211 Likes on 184 Posts

<iframe width="730" height="411" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nH4sL2MG0lQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-20-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The action RPG was initially scheduled to be released in November, but a now-solved "technical issue" set back development, Dontnod CEO Oskar Guilbert explained in a statement.

"Delaying the release of a project you hold dear is always a tough decision," said Guilbert. "However, we believe that meeting a deadline should never compromise quality. We were still convinced just a few weeks ago that we would be able to release Vampyr this year. Unfortunately, a technical issue — now solved — has set our teams’ schedule back at the end of the development."

The additional development time will ensure the game is polished and balanced, he added.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/...elayed-to-2018
Old 02-08-18, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Life is Strange developer Dontnod's new game finally has a release date. Vampyr will be released for PC and consoles on June 5, which is still within the spring 2018 window the studio had been aiming for after the initial delay last year.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/02/...525c4c0c0000c4
Old 04-22-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

This got added to Best Buy's list of games that gets a $10 gift card when preordering for anyone interested. That makes it $37.99 with GCU.
Old 06-04-18, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Verdict
Vampyr is a slow burn of an RPG, taking its time to ramp up its intriguing blend of science and the supernatural in an elaborately gloomy version of London. When it gets going you can see the potential of the way it offers you more power if you consume its interesting citizens. But Vampyr never commits to this idea to the point where I felt I needed to make that sacrifice to succeed in its relatively simple combat, which leaves it feeling toothless and vulnerable to having a lot of its fun sucked away by technical issues, despite its genuinely engaging story.

GOOD
Despite some technical issues and systems that are undercut by a lack of difficulty, Vampyr is a genuine, good vampire story in a well-realized world.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/04/vampyr-review
Old 06-04-18, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

73 overall on Metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays.../vampyr?ref=hp

I still kind of want to play it, but probably when it becomes cheaper.
Old 06-04-18, 11:58 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
73 overall on Metacritic.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/plays.../vampyr?ref=hp

I still kind of want to play it, but probably when it becomes cheaper.
same...I usually love these 70's meta-scored games...but also know it will drop like a rock in price..
Old 06-05-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

20 bucks or so and I'm in. Until then, I have a backlog.
Old 06-05-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

So it sounds like the big criticism could be fixed by a few rounds of patches. All the more reason to hold off until it hits the $20 price point (or thereabouts). It was a similar situation to an older vampire action/RPG ... Vampire: Bloodlines. I thought that was a fantastic game once the technical issues were overcome.
Old 06-10-18, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That didn't take long

$35 at Frys
Old 06-11-18, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a back-in-the day of PS1 new games week of release price!
Old 07-01-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

I've put about 6 hours in this weekend and I'm loving it so far. I was planning on playing pure good like I do with most games but the first guy you encounter is so irredeemably bad he just deserved to get his blood sucked.
Old 07-01-18, 10:55 PM
gamer for life

I am on chapter 5 of the game. It is fantastic. It has its flaws, but it is a interesting setting and the RPG aspects are well done. 15-20 hours in I would give it an 8 out of 10 so far....
Old 07-03-18, 11:34 AM
gamer for life

finished this up...and got my plat..

I stick with my 8 out 10 review. If atmosphere is important to you in a game, this one delivers. Everything else is just average, but the world it creates is amazing. I also read some complaints there is no fast travel system. In my opinion this adds to the game, and it really is not that big of a world anyway. The only time it was annoying was after I had finished, and I was finishing up on collectibles.....

If you LOVE vampire lore, pick this up when you get a chance....everyone else into RPG games it is worth it once it drops in price.
Old 07-03-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm glad you guys seem to love this, now I really want to get this when it becomes cheaper.
Old 01-20-21, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
So it sounds like the big criticism could be fixed by a few rounds of patches. All the more reason to hold off until it hits the $20 price point (or thereabouts). It was a similar situation to an older vampire action/RPG ... Vampire: Bloodlines. I thought that was a fantastic game once the technical issues were overcome.
2 and a half years later and I finally got around to playing this game Though that's par for the course for me. I have such a backlog of games, I feel better off playing things later for a much lower price (and after patches and DLC are all out). I don't know if anyone else has recently played this (especially since it was a recent PS+ freebie).

Metacritic's low 70s (out of 100) assessment seems about right for me. Crashes (about 6 times during my play through) were annoying ... you'd think after this long, and with the game running on a console (not a PC) those things should be ironed out. The world was small and enemy types limited ... but I love vampire stories and the lore/setting that the game had. The whole idea of "citizens", and the choice whether to feed on them or not (and how you could increase they're value by learning "clues"), was interesting. I get what Dontnod was going for with the save system ... but I still like the option of manually saving if I want.

I ended up doing a pacifist (not feeding on any citizens) play through. Although some citizens really deserved to be sucked dry. Despite being underleveled (I played on "normal") I felt I could always hold my own in the fights. The enemies (even the biggest bosses) had predictable patterns, and with patience and enough stamina to dash around, I could handle everyone.

Regarding the pros and cons of feeding on citizens, the game ended up pulling a swerve of players that I know upset some:
Spoiler:
You're constantly told that feeding on citizens will make fights easier. But it turns out that the main boss at the end (Red Queen) scales up in difficulty depending on how many citizens you ate. When my level 28 character fought her, it was easy (not only didn't die once, but never even had my health threatened). But I'm seeing how players taking the "killer" approach can be finding this fight brutally difficult. I see one person ate everybody but didn't bother with many clues, so their level wasn't that great (mid 30s). And now they're screwed, since they can't beat a level 50+ boss and have no way to get more experience (without grinding for ages on random enemies). If you play a certain way and that was good enough to progress all the way through a game until the end battle, it just seems like bad game design to suddenly have that character build be unwinnable for the last fight.