Reload this Page >

Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Old 08-25-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: Madden NFL 18 - August 25.

Madden 18 is out today. Anyone picking it up?

I saw 2 good reviews today on IGN and Gamespot. They also said the new story mode is pretty cool. It's basically a 5 1/2 hour movie.

I'm looking forward to not having to see Jeff Fisher's mug coaching the Rams this season

I have both the PS4 and XBox One S, but I decided to get the XBox One version.

Madden is kind of a toughie whether or not to pick up every year or not. New game mechanics are mostly minimal. You're really only picking it up for new updated rosters. I'm sure most of you guys don't want to blow $45-60 per year only for new rosters, so new game features/mechanics are important.

The 2 reviews I watched on YouTube said the animations and colors are pretty amazing. But, they did say the game mechanics additions/improvements are minimal.
Old 08-25-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

I used to be a Madden day 1 guy... for some reason, the appeal has worn off on me and I don't think I've purchased Madden since 2012 or so. The story mode might be the thing that gets me to pull the trigger but realistically I'll probably wait until it's free on EA Access.
Old 08-25-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked it up for the story mode as I thought EA's story mode for Fight Night was pretty enjoyable and wanted to give it a shot. This is the first Madden game I have picked up in five years also.
Old 08-25-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

I'll wait till Sega is able to make 2k series again.
Old 08-25-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csant
I'll wait till Sega is able to make 2k series again.
A) not gonna happen
B) I always thought the 2K series was overrated, IMHO. I hated the controls.
Old 08-25-17, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I am seeing the mainstream reviewers seem to like it as they enjoy the Longshot mode. The more hardcore fan sites are not caring for it since CFM and MUT don't have many advancements over last year. Looks pretty but plays meh from what I see. I'll pick up a rental to check it out.
Old 08-25-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Purchased Madden 18 today from Best Buy.

I also bought that 2 year membership to the GCU for $30. With the 20% off, it knocked down Madden to $47.99 plus tax. I guess it's worth it. When I do get NBA 2K18, it will save me some money.

Anyways, I haven't had the time to play yet. Barely finished installing the roughly 36 gig update that takes almost 45 minutes to download and install (depending on how fast your connection is)

I'll try to make some time for it later in the week.
Old 08-28-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzness
A) not gonna happen
B) I always thought the 2K series was overrated, IMHO. I hated the controls.
Madden has nothing on 2k series controls. The passing was way better, no stupid running back 20 yards and throwing bombs. The running a hell of a lot better. Not like the skating feel of madden. Running feels like your on a ice ring. Catching a lot better too.

Now where it really shine the defensive control was top notch. You can control a middle LB and cover the flats, rb, short ins, outs and not feel like you can't control the toon. DB's that actually stuck to players. Hail Merry, bombs hardly if ever work, unlike 90% chance of madden.

I will continue to hold out for something better. Like I have said before, the smartest thing Madden/EA has ever done was get the NFL license locked down. Because that was the only real way they would've beaten out Sega's 2k series.
Old 08-28-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

^^ I agree with you. Madden is flashy and sexy but 2K was the closest thing to real football since the Front Page Sports days.
Old 08-29-17, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Madden 18 is out today. Anyone picking it up?

I saw 2 good reviews today on IGN and Gamespot. They also said the new story mode is pretty cool. It's basically a 5 1/2 hour movie.

I'm looking forward to not having to see Jeff Fisher's mug coaching the Rams this season

I have both the PS4 and XBox One S, but I decided to get the XBox One version.

Madden is kind of a toughie whether or not to pick up every year or not. New game mechanics are mostly minimal. You're really only picking it up for new updated rosters. I'm sure most of you guys don't want to blow $45-60 per year only for new rosters, so new game features/mechanics are important.

The 2 reviews I watched on YouTube said the animations and colors are pretty amazing. But, they did say the game mechanics additions/improvements are minimal.
$45 - $60? Now Madden is all about MUT. I have already spent $64.99 on the GOAT Edition. $75 in gift cards on a bundle during EA Access. Another $10 on upgrading Ladanian Tomlinson.

Last year I probably spent over $500 on MUT.
Old 08-29-17, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by House
$45 - $60? Now Madden is all about MUT. I have already spent $64.99 on the GOAT Edition. $75 in gift cards on a bundle during EA Access. Another $10 on upgrading Ladanian Tomlinson.

Last year I probably spent over $500 on MUT.
I was speaking disc only, not the little upgrades. But yeah that's quite a fortune for a yearly football game.
Old 08-29-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Okay, someone explain to me MUT -- on the most basic level; like is it a card game, are you adding players to a fantasy roster that you play as your team online? I never really understood what it was, let alone why someone would spend a small fortune on it.
Old 08-29-17, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Okay, someone explain to me MUT -- on the most basic level; like is it a card game, are you adding players to a fantasy roster that you play as your team online? I never really understood what it was, let alone why someone would spend a small fortune on it.
You build your own team and use it to play solos, and online H2H. This season they are starting something new called Weekend League. You have to qualify during the week. Then on the weekend you play games to get big rewards. Coins and packs.

It's very addictive, and you can either spend money for packs. Or just grind solos to get coins.

I just qualified for the weekend league, and can't wait to try it out. This is week 1 for it.

Check out MUThead.com There is a forum over there that thousands of players help each out with tips, and team building.

Edit: There is also a mode within MUT called Draft Champions. For this you go through 20 rounds in a draft to select your team. The last round you get to choose a legend player. You can do this either with solos or online H2H.
Old 08-30-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ended up putting in a request from the library on this one. I haven't played a Madden game since last gen, but the story mode has me intrigued. I can't wait to see how horrible I am at this game
Old 09-01-17, 08:48 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I ended up putting in a request from the library on this one. I haven't played a Madden game since last gen, but the story mode has me intrigued. I can't wait to see how horrible I am at this game
I seem to buy his every few year fully knowing I will suck and probably only play a handful of games lol
Old 09-08-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Played a full game 2 days ago as the Rams and I unrealistically beat the Patriots 30-13.

One thing I noticed, on the Patriots sideline, there is no Bill Belichick. Just some generic coach with glasses and a hat. I haven't noticed in years past, but has Belichick's likeness not been used in the game?

On my end, I had new coach Sean McVay and his likeness.
Old 09-08-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Bill isn't part of the NFLPA, which is why he isn't in any Madden game (or other NFL sponsored content).

I haven't owned a Madden in a long while due to always preferring the NCAA games. Picked this up and am really enjoying it. I haven't tried the new "Action" play mode, or whatever it's called. I've missed playing through a franchise.
Old 09-08-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Oh okay....thanks. Didn't know that most coaches are part of the NFLPA.

I played in Arcade mode and quite enjoyed it. It felt like I was playing a sports arcade game and not some overly complex sports simulation.

Edit: Belichick is not a member of the NFL coaches association. That's why his likeness can't be used and he doesn't appear to care either.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-08-17 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-16-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Played as the Rams against the Chargers the other day.

I came back from a deficit in the 4th quarter to tie the game after converting a 2-point conversion.

However, the Chargers completed a 45 yard bomb and got into FG range and I eventually lost on a GW FG by Koo. Damn, so frustrating.

One aspect of the game I'm having trouble with is field goals. I've probably missed 6 out of my last 10. I can't get the positioning using the thumb stick right with the wind direction.
Old 09-16-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Played as the Rams against the Chargers the other day.

I came back from a deficit in the 4th quarter to tie the game after converting a 2-point conversion.

However, the Chargers completed a 45 yard bomb and got into FG range and I eventually lost on a GW FG by Koo. Damn, so frustrating.

One aspect of the game I'm having trouble with is field goals. I've probably missed 6 out of my last 10. I can't get the positioning using the thumb stick right with the wind direction.
So unrealistic. The real life Chargers would have closed the gap and then shanked the field goal.
Old 02-15-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

Madden NFL 18 is now in the Vault in EA Access.