Reload this Page >

Night Trap gets re-release, complete with physical edition

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Night Trap gets re-release, complete with physical edition

Old 08-11-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 817 Likes on 542 Posts
Re: Night Trap gets re-release, complete with physical edition

Yeah I was pretty pissed this morning at 9:02 when it sold out already. I was logged into my account and paypal and still got screwed. I really shouldn't have checked ebay. By quarter after they were already listed and selling for twice the price. I really hate this method of business. It just punishes people who actually want the items instead of rewarding scalpels. Mondo does the same shit.
Old 08-11-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

All the games they sell are easily available to play digitally most for like 75% of the cost. These are niche items for collectors. If they didn't use this business model they wouldn't be selling the games.
Old 08-11-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
All the games they sell are easily available to play digitally most for like 75% of the cost. These are niche items for collectors. If they didn't use this business model they wouldn't be selling the games.
A lotto or raffle method could also be used, where they allow people to add a request, and then randomly pick people who can then purchase one. But that's a lot more complicated to pull off.
Old 08-11-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

I bought a LRG for Shadow Complex Remastered. Glad I did as it's one of my favorite games ever. But I am glad I'm not obsessive about their games since they're way more expensive, difficult to purchase and most are better played digitally anyway. I don't feel like I'm missing out by getting a digital copy on sale instead.
Old 08-11-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

What's the estimate on the digital only price for this game?
Old 08-11-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

$14.99

the game will also include 1986 night trap prototype 'scene of the crime' as a fully-playable extra for the first time. Night trap: 25th anniversary edition is heading to xbox one, playstation 4 and pc on 15th august 2017, priced $14.99/£11.99.
Old 08-11-17, 04:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

By the way, 28 minutes until batch #2 goes up.

Regular: https://limitedrungames.com/products...night-trap-ps4
CE: https://limitedrungames.com/products...rs-edition-ps4
7" vinyl only: https://limitedrungames.com/products...rap-7-in-vinyl
Mega bundle :https://limitedrungames.com/products...ay-mega-bundle
Documentary Blu-ray: https://limitedrungames.com/products...nt=43182212227

You may get 404 errors between now and then on those pages. Don't fret. Just start refreshing 5-10 seconds before the hour.

Advice if you're serious about trying on that site:
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Dan
Best bet to "beat the rush" is:
- Figure out which version/edition you want in advance, and bookmark the page
- Create and log into your LRG account. Make sure all your info is available in your account (address, etc.)
- at ~10 seconds prior to launch, start refreshing the page.
- As soon as the page loads showing quantities, add one, go to your cart and "wait in line." which is usually about 5 to 30 seconds.
- During checkout, you can pick PayPal so you don't have to fumble with credit card info
- You WILL need to re-enter your phone number. Some people copy and paste it in advance.
- Hope you finalize checkout before quantities are gone. Unfortunately, due to the way 99.9% of online stores work, it's not good enough to have it in your cart. The quantity is NOT deducted from inventory until a confirmed sale is made.
Old 08-11-17, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
$14.99
Ah thanks. In that case, I'll just buy digital.
Old 08-11-17, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Got skunked out on the LP (gone within seconds...as I was pressing the place order button), oh well... just happy to get in on the PC & Steam version of the game.

Here's a consolation video...

Old 08-11-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
By the way, 28 minutes until batch #2 goes up.

Regular: https://limitedrungames.com/products...night-trap-ps4
CE: https://limitedrungames.com/products...rs-edition-ps4
7" vinyl only: https://limitedrungames.com/products...rap-7-in-vinyl
Mega bundle :https://limitedrungames.com/products...ay-mega-bundle
Documentary Blu-ray: https://limitedrungames.com/products...nt=43182212227

You may get 404 errors between now and then on those pages. Don't fret. Just start refreshing 5-10 seconds before the hour.

Advice if you're serious about trying on that site:
Thanks for the advice I (barely) managed to snag a copy. Thank god I don't buy many online games because I'm not going through that again. All versions sold out again in 2 minutes!
Old 08-11-17, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Thanks for the advice I (barely) managed to snag a copy. Thank god I don't buy many online games because I'm not going through that again. All versions sold out again in 2 minutes!
Which one did you end up buying?
Old 08-11-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

By sheer luck, I managed to purchase a copy of the Standard (PS4) Edition during the first batch.

It's a bit silly that the first batch had a limit of 2 per order and the second batch had a limit of 1 per order. Should have just made it the same all around.

Last edited by asianxcore; 08-11-17 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also- am I imagining things, or wasLarry Flynt involved with this?
Old 08-11-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, what a bunch of crap. I added a copy to my cart the moment the second batch went up, got put "in line" for 10 seconds, went to the checkout page and hit "Pay by Paypal". My PP account logged in and it refreshed and said "Sorry, the item you are buying is sold out."

They literally sold the copy out of my cart while I was authenticating my payment.
Old 08-11-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
They literally sold the copy out of my cart while I was authenticating my payment.

I'm not sure when they changed things to be that way. (Wonder Boy was my first LRG order this year.)
Old 08-11-17, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

I'm not sure when they changed things to be that way. (Wonder Boy was my first LRG order this year.)
Their wording is murky...it's more like, "first-to-have-payment-processed".
Old 08-11-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
Man, what a bunch of crap. I added a copy to my cart the moment the second batch went up, got put "in line" for 10 seconds, went to the checkout page and hit "Pay by Paypal". My PP account logged in and it refreshed and said "Sorry, the item you are buying is sold out."

Every website will do that. Putting something in your cart doesn't reserve a copy until you finish checking out. It's not subtracted from inventory until it's sold. So if other people finish checking out before you, you lose.
Old 08-11-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Every website will do that. Putting something in your cart doesn't reserve a copy until you finish checking out.
That's not always true, though. Even LRG used to reserve it for however many minutes (5, I think?) once it was in your cart, and it'd be returned to the regular inventory count if you didn't complete check out. 5-15 minute windows aren't that uncommon, AFAIK.
Old 08-11-17, 06:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

5-10 minute windows aren't uncommon for tickets for shows and whatnot since each ticket is unique, but on retail sites selling X number of limited items...I think it's pretty rare.
LRG specifically said that implementing such a system would be too closely for their business. Not sure of the truth to that... But that's what they say.

This tweet thread goes into more detail. Click on the time stamp to see the rest of what they say.

Last edited by Dan; 08-11-17 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-11-17, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

In my experience, if they reserve anything for any amount of time, they give you a countdown clock. Tickets and Amazon lightning deals are about the only times I see those clocks. If you aren't given a clock, it's a pretty good bet that adding an item to your cart doesn't reserve anything.
Old 08-11-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Dan
5-10 minute windows aren't uncommon for tickets for shows and whatnot since each ticket is unique, but on retail sites selling X number of limited items...I think it's pretty rare.
It seems to be more common than you think, though not on the likes of Amazon (lightning deals excepted) or Walmart.com. There are just so few instances where it's obvious to an end user. Pretty much every shopping cart software you'll come across has this as a standard feature.

From a quick Google search:

Online stores typically take an item out of the available inventory once it is added to the shopping cart, in order to enable the buyer to complete the purchase and not find out that it is out of stock by the time he checks out. Retailers typically leave an item there for 10-15 minutes before concluding the shopper has left the site and returning the merchandise to inventory.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 08-11-17 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-12-17, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazon (lightning deals excepted)
That and seats through Live Nation and Ticketmaster are similar. Each step they give you a few more minutes to input all of your info so you don't lose the seats in your cart. That's a pretty nice feature so you can have another browser open and still look for other seats in the process.
Old 08-12-17, 09:01 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

It seems to be more common than you think, though not on the likes of Amazon (lightning deals excepted) or Walmart.com. There are just so few instances where it's obvious to an end user. Pretty much every shopping cart software you'll come across has this as a standard feature.

From a quick Google search:
Weird... the tweet thread I posted doesn't seem to show up, but it's worth pointing out that that article you quoted is from December.

Shopify (one of the main hosts for this stuff) used to run exactly as described in that article, but they've since changed... just in the last few months it seems. The tweet thread from LRG specifically says this:
This bears repeating: inventory on our site is not considered reserved for you at any point. Not at adding to cart and not at check out.This is how our host's inventory system is set up. It is no small feat (nor even remotely feasible) to change it.

(someone asked) But why did THEY change it? It was fine before.

Because front end inventory never reflected what was held in checkout and that caused a ton of confusion with customers on Shopify stores. Customers could add an item to cart when all items were held in checkout and wouldn't know it was "out of stock" until the clicked checkout. Thing was, the games weren't actually "out of stock" as about 50% of holds were abandoned. Customers getting the "out of stock" message would leave the site angry and held inventory would bounce between carts as it was abandoned. Typically, under the old system, the last copy of a game would bounce around for 15 - 20 minutes before being bought. During that time, 1000s could still add item to cart and try to checkout but would get the sold out message when technically 1 was in stock.
I've experienced that myself. Added a limited item to my cart, went to checkout and was immediately told it was sold out. I was aware enough to keep trying, and eventually got through, but others gave up right after the first few tries, repeatedly being told "SOLD OUT!", and were later told if they just kept trying, they'd have got their order completed.

It's shitty because neither system is perfect, but I'm not sure that Shopify's current system is necessarily worse.
Old 08-12-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Dan
Weird... the tweet thread I posted doesn't seem to show up, but it's worth pointing out that that article you quoted is from December.
I think we agree with one another but are talking about slightly different things. I posted that just to indicate that carts temporarily reserving items from inventory is not unusual (even though Shopify has changed, I don't think there's been a sea change across many/most retailers since then). It wasn't meant to indicate the way LRG is currently doing things or even how they should do things. I totally get it. I'd be annoyed if I tried to buy something, got a 'sold out' message, but then a bunch of games showed up as being back in inventory a few minutes later once some carts were abandoned. Y'know, making me think I'd missed my window of opportunity when I actually hadn't. Not that getting a 'sold out' message during checkout is ideal, but I do think it's preferable to the alternative.
Old 08-12-17, 10:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, you're right
I was thinking other sites had followed suit with Shopify, but that's likely not the case, as you say. My assumption was more because most of my online purchases seem to be through sites that use Shopify, so I'm used to seeing how it works (and doesn't work) for different types of orders. These high-demand, limited run type of products seem to have it the worst, no matter how the system actually works.

Personally, if I was LRG, I'd set up a system like what Data Discs uses for their vinyl releases. They send out passwords to their mailing list, and there's three batches: One batch for USA-only w/ passwords, one batch for the rest of the world w/ passwords, and one batch for the general public.
It's still not perfect, but it alleviates some of the stress. I've never had a problem placing a Data Discs order.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.