Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rumor: SNES Classic Edition this Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Rumor: SNES Classic Edition this Christmas

How does it kill that theory? Maybe the initial plan was to sell something during Christmas season until the Switch.

Now, they realize they could probably kill even more with a SNES release this Christmas as well. This really isn't a competitor to the Switch.

And for those discussing VC as a replacement, I think one of the main appeals of this thing was the form factor. And also, this can sell to people who don't want a Switch. VC on the Switch doesn't mean shit to those people because they want to pay $60 and have it packed together in one nice package. They aren't looking to spend $300, and then buy NES games on top of it.
Old 04-20-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll get one. But I'm not a Grumpy Gus.
Old 04-20-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

"smash hit" is how they are describing sales of the NES Classic? That's laughable. I'll pass on the SNES Classic just like I did the regular one, as it is completely unneeded. For less money I get more functionality, not to mention more games, from a Raspberry Pi.
Old 04-20-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
"smash hit" is how they are describing sales of the NES Classic? That's laughable. I'll pass on the SNES Classic just like I did the regular one, as it is completely unneeded. For less money I get more functionality, not to mention more games, from a Raspberry Pi.
Sure, but most people aren't technically able to set up a Raspberry Pi. I could buy a NES Classic and my parents would enjoy playing some of the older games.
Old 04-20-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
For less money [and a lot more effort than the average consumer cares to expend] you get more functionality. ROM-hoarding emulator geeks like you and me represent a dramatically smaller market than the target market for these things.
Old 04-20-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
For less money [and a lot more effort than the average consumer cares to expend] you get more functionality. ROM-hoarding emulator geeks like you and me represent a dramatically smaller market than the target market for these things.
Well, there's also the legality and licensing and all that. I am kinda surprised there's not more of a black market for a loaded Pi like there is for, say, a Kodi machine or even a modified NES.

Actually now that I think about it, the scarcity of the NES classic probably deters that, since you can sell a NES without mods for a pretty penny anyway.
Old 04-22-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
How does it kill that theory? Maybe the initial plan was to sell something during Christmas season until the Switch.

Now, they realize they could probably kill even more with a SNES release this Christmas as well. This really isn't a competitor to the Switch.
Yes, and I think the limited nature is part of that. I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring back the NES Classic in a couple of years, again for a limited time. They can make a mint now and then without cannibalizing the VC sales.
Old 04-22-17, 07:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, there's also the legality and licensing and all that. I am kinda surprised there's not more of a black market for a loaded Pi like there is for, say, a Kodi machine or even a modified NES.

Actually now that I think about it, the scarcity of the NES classic probably deters that, since you can sell a NES without mods for a pretty penny anyway.
I've been casually watching ebay and I've seen modded NES Classics with 700 games or more being sold to actual people for a higher price than unmodded NES Classics.