Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews
 



Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-17, 03:29 PM   #51
spainlinx0
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,051
Re: Rumor: SNES Classic Edition this Christmas

How does it kill that theory? Maybe the initial plan was to sell something during Christmas season until the Switch.

Now, they realize they could probably kill even more with a SNES release this Christmas as well. This really isn't a competitor to the Switch.

And for those discussing VC as a replacement, I think one of the main appeals of this thing was the form factor. And also, this can sell to people who don't want a Switch. VC on the Switch doesn't mean shit to those people because they want to pay $60 and have it packed together in one nice package. They aren't looking to spend $300, and then buy NES games on top of it.
__________________
XB1: Scorpy Gkar
PS4: ScorpyGkar
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 03:36 PM   #52
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero
 
pinata242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Owasso, OK
Posts: 30,023
Re: Rumor: SNES Classic Edition this Christmas

I'll get one. But I'm not a Grumpy Gus.
__________________
XBL: pinata242 | PSN: pinata242 | Steam: pinata242
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 03:36 PM   #53
jjcool
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,063
Re: Rumor: SNES Classic Edition this Christmas

"smash hit" is how they are describing sales of the NES Classic? That's laughable. I'll pass on the SNES Classic just like I did the regular one, as it is completely unneeded. For less money I get more functionality, not to mention more games, from a Raspberry Pi.
__________________
"Bottom shelf has the bond films and the porn."
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 04:41 PM   #54
Draven
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 24,439
Re: Rumor: SNES Classic Edition this Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
"smash hit" is how they are describing sales of the NES Classic? That's laughable. I'll pass on the SNES Classic just like I did the regular one, as it is completely unneeded. For less money I get more functionality, not to mention more games, from a Raspberry Pi.
Sure, but most people aren't technically able to set up a Raspberry Pi. I could buy a NES Classic and my parents would enjoy playing some of the older games.
__________________
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 04:47 PM   #55
kefrank
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 5,354
Re: Rumor: SNES Classic Edition this Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcool View Post
"smash hit" is how they are describing sales of the NES Classic? That's laughable. I'll pass on the SNES Classic just like I did the regular one, as it is completely unneeded. For less money I get more functionality, not to mention more games, from a Raspberry Pi.
For less money [and a lot more effort than the average consumer cares to expend] you get more functionality. ROM-hoarding emulator geeks like you and me represent a dramatically smaller market than the target market for these things.
__________________
--Kevin--
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-17, 06:05 PM   #56
fujishig
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 21,784
Re: Rumor: SNES Classic Edition this Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
For less money [and a lot more effort than the average consumer cares to expend] you get more functionality. ROM-hoarding emulator geeks like you and me represent a dramatically smaller market than the target market for these things.
Well, there's also the legality and licensing and all that. I am kinda surprised there's not more of a black market for a loaded Pi like there is for, say, a Kodi machine or even a modified NES.

Actually now that I think about it, the scarcity of the NES classic probably deters that, since you can sell a NES without mods for a pretty penny anyway.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 03:33 PM   #57
Drexl
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,842
Re: Rumor: SNES Classic Edition this Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
How does it kill that theory? Maybe the initial plan was to sell something during Christmas season until the Switch.

Now, they realize they could probably kill even more with a SNES release this Christmas as well. This really isn't a competitor to the Switch.
Yes, and I think the limited nature is part of that. I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring back the NES Classic in a couple of years, again for a limited time. They can make a mint now and then without cannibalizing the VC sales.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-17, 07:57 PM   #58
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: More drinks, more fun!
Posts: 13,348
Re: Rumor: SNES Classic Edition this Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Well, there's also the legality and licensing and all that. I am kinda surprised there's not more of a black market for a loaded Pi like there is for, say, a Kodi machine or even a modified NES.

Actually now that I think about it, the scarcity of the NES classic probably deters that, since you can sell a NES without mods for a pretty penny anyway.
I've been casually watching ebay and I've seen modded NES Classics with 700 games or more being sold to actual people for a higher price than unmodded NES Classics.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.

...
Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0