Reload this Page >

Persona 5 (PS4) - 4/4/17

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Persona 5 (PS4) - 4/4/17

Old 04-19-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts
Re: Persona 5 (PS4) - 4/4/17

It's something you do towards the end of the palaces. Basically the cadence is, grind through palace, find the treasure, leave the palace and send Calling Card, re-enter palace to fight boss.

I'm only on the 2nd palace but this seems to be the scenario for all of them. I pointed it out since it's one of the hard stops. When you find the treaure, you leave the palace and go to the next day to send the Calling Card.
Old 04-19-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks!
Old 04-19-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Thanks. One last bad question....maybe I missed it but what do you mean by "send the Calling Card"?

I'm right about where you are in game (just entered first dungeon) and I've got all the same questions you do. Appreciate someone asking!
Old 04-20-17, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

but once you send the calling card you can't go back in to grind or get all the treasure boxes. So make sure you're done with all that before you send the calling card. depending on if you're over or under leveled for each palace, you'll probably want 2-3 days in each before you send the CC to get everything and grind enough.

although, there is another option for grinding depending where you are in the game, so you may be able to back that down to 1-2 days depending on your level.
Old 04-24-17, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, the game is great. But I just passed the 25 hr mark and I'm not even done with the 2nd dungeon. I'm assuming all Persona games are very long?
Old 04-28-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I may be walking away from this one. 30 hours in and at the end of the second palace. Things just still aren't clicking. I'm spending waaaay too much time x'ing through dialogue options, and maybe I'm missing something, but the combat is growing super tiresome.

Honestly, if Best Buy took this in as a trade it'd be gone today, but it looks like it'll be sticking around for at least a little while longer.
Old 04-28-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I may be walking away from this one. 30 hours in and at the end of the second palace. Things just still aren't clicking. I'm spending waaaay too much time x'ing through dialogue options, and maybe I'm missing something, but the combat is growing super tiresome.

Honestly, if Best Buy took this in as a trade it'd be gone today, but it looks like it'll be sticking around for at least a little while longer.
You're not the only one. As a huge fan of Persona 1, Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, as well as pretty much the rest of the mega-ten games, I just don't see the draw in this series starting with Persona 3. There's way too much of the dating-sim aspect to this one and the forcing you along with what it wants you to do is really annoying. Add to that the ease of the battle system thanks to the all out attack and dumbed down communication aspect, not to mention viewable enemies on the map, as well as hiding, which makes it near impossible not to always ambush your opponents, and there's not much aside from a glimmer of what the series used to be keeping me playing.

I'm glad the series is thriving for those who enjoy it, but it really makes me long for the older titles.

Curious, for those who are enjoying this, were you fans of the series from the get go, or at what point did it come on your radar?
Old 04-28-17, 10:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Always been a fan. I thought the added changes starting with Persona 3 were needed to breathe new life into a dusty genre. Persona 1 and 2 were great, but a product of their time and I'm not sure I could return to them now. P3 is probably my favorite of the franchise so I may be quite biased.

If you don't like the social aspects, this may not be for you. I think having to do those and build relationships with characters is one of the most fun things in the game. If you find it too easy, just bump up the difficulty. It can be done on the fly and IIRC one of the free DLCs is a super-hard mode.
Old 04-28-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the input, I think I may have to come to terms with being an old man stuck in the past.
Old 04-28-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually think I'd like the social activities. It's the general banter dialogue that's driving me nuts. I know I'm still relatively early in the game, but I wish it'd open up a bit more already. I feel like I only had maybe 3 total days in game between palaces that I could use for whatever I wanted. The rest were all "let's go here" "take these tests" and that cat making me go to bed all the time. I want to socialize with my group more.
Old 04-28-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

That's been my hesitation with picking this one up, back log aside. It's fun enough but the High School Sim part just never clicked with me in the last couple.
Old 05-02-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just past the half-way mark and the 50 hour playtime mark as well. Still having a total blast.
The following users liked this post:
chowderhead (09-08-20)
Old 05-13-17, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 179 Likes on 124 Posts

Finally getting a chance to start this! Still very early ... I'm still in the first "week" and the tutorial palace. I have noticed that there seem to be long stretches when I can't save. From reading the comments, it sounds like that's something others have noticed too. I hope it's easy enough to save in dungeons. I really hate it when games make you replay large stretches after a battle death (I don't remember P3 or 4 being bad for that).

Any general non-spoilerly tips that I should know about? Anyway that one can really screw things up, or something you wish you realized earlier on?
Old 05-13-17, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Any general non-spoilerly tips that I should know about? Anyway that one can really screw things up, or something you wish you realized earlier on?
As for saving in the dungeons, there are 'Safe Rooms' spread throughout. You can also use them to warp around the dungeon, either to the entrance so you can leave, or locations you've been to previously if need be.

When dealing with confidants, always have a Persona of the same Arcana family in your Persona bank. Doesn't have to be your currently equipped, just one of those you have access to that aligns with the confidant. This will give you the possibility of extra points when engaging them in conversation.

Make use of the things that appear on specific days of the week, like the juice in the underground walkway on Sunday to gain additional stat boosts, or the shopping channel on the same day to get deals on bulk purchases.

With the way the battle system operates, unless it's a scripted encounter, there's no reason why you shouldn't ambush your opponents every time. Doing so will give you first strike, which many times is all the fight takes.

If you're having trouble in terms of fighting, try repeating areas of the dungeons you feel comfortable in by way of quick travel while you're still inside them to grind rather than just continually progressing the story. Leaving and coming back will waste a day.
Spoiler:
For example, there's a loop in the beginning of the 2nd palace where 99% of the enemies can be taken out quite easily with standard physical attacks, allowing you to grind without depleting your SP.

Edited to add:
Head into the palaces as early as you can, don't put it off.
Spoiler:
You'll soon find out that to complete them will require the sending of a 'calling card', which eats up 2 days on the calendar (you have to leave the palace to send it in the real world, but you can't send it until the following day. It then takes until the morning after that for the recipient to be affected so you can go back in and finish up).

Last edited by Brooklyn; 05-13-17 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-14-17, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone play with the Japanese voices (I just noticed that free DLC)? I'm usually a stickler for always going with the original language for things I watch (like movies and tv series). But I'm not sure about doing it for a game.
Old 05-19-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wrapped it up at 105 hrs. I probably should've been closer to 130 but by the 6th palace I had to drop the difficulty down. It's definitely not for everyone but it is a masterpiece and easily the best RPG so far this generation IMHO. I'm almost glad there is such a long wait between sequels cause it's gonna take another six / seven years for me to want to go thru that type of marathon again.
Old 05-19-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Anyone play with the Japanese voices (I just noticed that free DLC)? I'm usually a stickler for always going with the original language for things I watch (like movies and tv series). But I'm not sure about doing it for a game.
I did it for a bit, but it wasn't working that well for me as far as enjoyment. I did prefer the Japanese Ryuji though, still annoying just not as annoying.

I finished the game a couple of weeks ago (I was in a rush to finish before I went away on a vacation). I missed some of the social links (I thought I'd make it but there's very little time at the end), and didn't get high enough for some of the personas, but after 3 weeks off enough time has gone by that I'm actually finding myself able to play again and generally enjoying it (as long as Iskip all the cut scenes, and non-interactive dialog it goes pretty fast).

It's weird having all this time (and if you maxed a certain social link the first time, it even gives you extra time on dungeon days fairly early on, so just putzing around in a dungeon when there's nothing else to do becomes much more viable nuch earlier). I started the second playthrough Sunday or so, and even with work and other stuff, I'm into July, so it's going much faster. I have had quite a few days with really nothing to do, so I have a whole lot of lock picks, which somewhat makes up for the fact that my fancy lockpick didn't carry over in NewGame+.
Old 05-19-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ginwen
I did it for a bit, but it wasn't working that well for me as far as enjoyment. I did prefer the Japanese Ryuji though, still annoying just not as annoying.
Yeah, I tried out the Japanese track and I think I'm sticking with the English (even though the syncing with lip movements is awful). The English voice acting for the main characters seems pretty solid.
Old 06-27-17, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished! Holy crap ... according to the game, I spent over 150 hours playing. Though I'd "pause" the game on the menu screen sometimes, and I tended to dicker around in the Velvet Room. And I listen to all the spoken dialog in their entirety. But still ...

That was quite a ride. As said here earlier, while i greatly enjoyed the game I was ready for it to come to an end. I felt this was the easiest of the 3 Persona games I've played (3, 4, and 5). Playing on "normal" I only died a couple times, and they were both to me being careless. I didn't need to do any level grinding to beat bosses (which I was pleased about). By the end, I finished at around level 76 or 77. I probably could've made the final day battles easier by bothering to fuse some more elite-level personas ... but by that point, I was just ready to push on through to the end.

I can't fathom anyone diving into NG+ right away, but I know some do it. I'll be content to watch footage of the bonus boss on youtube.

It probably speaks to the effectiveness of the story and characters that when I look at the cover art and menu images:
Spoiler:
it pisses me off seeing Akechi's stupid face there I'm guessing he just died in a corner somewhere ... last he was mentioned in the game, no one knew where he was. I wasn't buying how the Phantom Thieves were all showing sympathy for him in the end. He was a psychotic mass murderer ... boo hoo if he didn't have a happy childhood. It did suck losing him on the team since he was the only one (besides the MC) that had bless, curse, and almighty attacks.
Old 02-05-19, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 799 Likes on 589 Posts

Persona 5 has dropped in price to $19.99 now for the physical copy. There is talk of a Persona 5-R version coming out, but there hasn't been any details released about it. $19.99 for 100 plus hours of gaming isn't too bad. I had to order this from DeepDiscount.com, because it was sold out everywhere else. I'm excited to play it.

Last edited by lwhy?; 02-05-19 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts

I got this when it was $30 and still haven’t played. Sounds pretty interesting.
Old 02-01-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 799 Likes on 589 Posts

I played this for 50 hours last year and I took a break. I just started it back up and I'm at 90 hours played. I absolutely love this game. It's probably the best turn based RPG that I've ever played. The music in the game is fantastic. I just wish it wasn't so long. Games these days take way too long to play and I get burnt out after 40-50 hours. I hope I'm getting close to the end. I have the Royal edition and will probably play that after I finished the regular edition and take a long break.
Old 02-01-21, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

My son played the shit out of P5. I got him Royal for a Christmas present and he's been playing that pretty much non-stop (when he's not playing Hades or SSBU). He can't quite articulate to me what the difference is, but likes it better.

New P5 game comes out in a couple of weeks. Persona 5 Strikers. It's kind of like a Dynasty Warriors game, as I understand it.
Old 02-01-21, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I donwnloaded P5 from the Playstation Plus catalog thing on PS5 and plan to start it after Last of Us II. Looking forward to it. My brother loved it.
Old 02-01-21, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
My son played the shit out of P5. I got him Royal for a Christmas present and he's been playing that pretty much non-stop (when he's not playing Hades or SSBU). He can't quite articulate to me what the difference is, but likes it better.

New P5 game comes out in a couple of weeks. Persona 5 Strikers. It's kind of like a Dynasty Warriors game, as I understand it.
It has extra characters, including one that joins your group, plus some things you are able to do without moving time ahead, so it is much easier to complete all the with time to spare, plus if you do certain things it continues past where the other game did with a whole extra palace, plus the extra villain is just delusional not full on evil.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.