Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews
 



Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-14-17, 06:03 AM   #1
james2025a
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,420
Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

This is out today and it seems to be getting pretty solid reviews. Checking videos it appears to be a cross between Call of Duty and Assassins Creed. I am contemplating picking it up today, but have never played any others in the series.

Anyone recommend the games or have any thoughts worth sharing?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-17, 06:44 AM   #2
TheBigDave
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,069
re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

I played Sniper Elite 2 and loved it. I didn't have a console when SE3 came out, otherwise I would have played that one too.

I'm definitely going to get SE4. But I'll wait for a sale. There's going to be a bunch of DLC missions. So I might wait for the Ultimate Edition release. I still have a huge backlog from Christmas.
__________________
Speedy thing goes in. Speedy thing comes out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-17, 08:20 AM   #3
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,643
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

I picked up Sniper Elite 3 Ultimate Edition when it was down to $15. It's pretty damn solid for that price and there is a lot of content. If you haven't played one before, I would get that one since it's so cheap and more than likely similar enough to this one.
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LP Wii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-17, 09:43 AM   #4
Rob V
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Rob V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: On the lake
Posts: 8,960
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

After doing some research on SE4 (since this thread) it looks awesome... at a price drop. I'll go with mattsemo's advice and pick up 3. I gotta get thru Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 and Resident Evil 7 quickly with Ghost Recon and Zero Dawn around the corner.
__________________
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-17, 07:43 PM   #5
james2025a
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,420
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

Well I have burnt through a few games in recent weeks, so decided to grab a copy today. Played for about an hour and enjoying it so far. I like the mechanics and it looks very nice. I will grab a copy if 3 when I see it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-17, 08:28 AM   #6
james2025a
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,420
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

I played a little more this morning. I like the game as it feels old school in its gameplay and attitudes. I dont think there is much story here at all, however its a game set in the middle of WWII, so the story pretty much goes without saying. Its WAR!!! Kill the enemy. The gameplay itself actually feels old school as well. At this stage it seems a very simple set up, you are behind enemy lines, you are a sniper, you have certain targets to hit, kill them and also anything or anyone else that gets in your way. Try to remain undetected to survive longer. In this age of a lot of gamers needing their games to be very indepth and to have long convoluted stories i am not sure if a lot will appreciate the simple setup and gameplay. However, i have been having a lot of fun with it so far, as it is doing exactly what i hoped it would do. The sandbox appears to be nicely designed, the AI seems not bad and the sniping itself is a lot of the fun. The gory killshots are fantastic and like with games such as MGS: PM and Assassins Creed, i get a lot of pleasure from taking my time in a kill and executing it perfectly. After looking at Sniper Elite 3 the games look almost identical, so i am sure that a 6 month wait would have mean't saying at least $20 on this title, but so far its a lot of fun. If you are thinking of picking it up then expect a simple shooter that is highly enjoyable, but dont expect anything with huge depth and characterization or interaction (other than killing the shit out of one another).
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 11:33 AM   #7
astrochimp
DVD Talk Legend
 
astrochimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 17,317
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

SE 3 is on sale for $10.49 on the current PSN flash sale.
__________________
Xbox Live tag: spacemunky49

PSN tag: spacemunky49
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 11:40 AM   #8
robin2099
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,844
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I played a little more this morning. I like the game as it feels old school in its gameplay and attitudes. I dont think there is much story here at all, however its a game set in the middle of WWII, so the story pretty much goes without saying. Its WAR!!! Kill the enemy. The gameplay itself actually feels old school as well. At this stage it seems a very simple set up, you are behind enemy lines, you are a sniper, you have certain targets to hit, kill them and also anything or anyone else that gets in your way. Try to remain undetected to survive longer. In this age of a lot of gamers needing their games to be very indepth and to have long convoluted stories i am not sure if a lot will appreciate the simple setup and gameplay. However, i have been having a lot of fun with it so far, as it is doing exactly what i hoped it would do. The sandbox appears to be nicely designed, the AI seems not bad and the sniping itself is a lot of the fun. The gory killshots are fantastic and like with games such as MGS: PM and Assassins Creed, i get a lot of pleasure from taking my time in a kill and executing it perfectly. After looking at Sniper Elite 3 the games look almost identical, so i am sure that a 6 month wait would have mean't saying at least $20 on this title, but so far its a lot of fun. If you are thinking of picking it up then expect a simple shooter that is highly enjoyable, but dont expect anything with huge depth and characterization or interaction (other than killing the shit out of one another).
Sounds just like SE3. The SE games are all very similar but if somethings not broken I suppose why fix it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 12:56 PM   #9
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mattysemo247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,643
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
SE 3 is on sale for $10.49 on the current PSN flash sale.
Well worth that price
__________________
Xbox Gamertag: Skillz 247 LP Playstation ID: Skillz247LP Wii U: Skillz247LP Wii Code: 3960 3828 1411 7474
My Blu Ray Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 04:21 PM   #10
mugwump
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: IL
Posts: 2,582
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
SE 3 is on sale for $10.49 on the current PSN flash sale.
Thanks for the heads up. I was about to buy a used copy for $19 so this was a well-timed deal.
__________________
Xbox Live & PSN: mugwumps
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 06:35 PM   #11
james2025a
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,420
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

I attempted to get SE3 at that price, especially as I was driving around today trying to find the Ultimate collection version. If I can't find that copy by the weekend I might settle for the Store sale version, but still prefer having hard copies of games if possible.

I am just over half way though SE4 and whist it's good it really is very samey and there isn't much depth to it at all. Still fun for what it is and it's not stopping me from wanting SE3. I also am not impressed with the level up system and the very limited options they provide. It's VERY basic. Same for gun upgrades. This might have cut the mustard 10-15 years ago, but it's pretty lame for modern gaming.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-17, 08:12 PM   #12
lopper
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,716
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2025a View Post

I am just over half way though SE4 and whist it's good it really is very samey and there isn't much depth to it at all. Still fun for what it is and it's not stopping me from wanting SE3. I also am not impressed with the level up system and the very limited options they provide. It's VERY basic. Same for gun upgrades. This might have cut the mustard 10-15 years ago, but it's pretty lame for modern gaming.
Pretty much sums up my experience with 3. Once the thrill of the kill cam wears off, you realize you're doing the same missions over and over, with one taking place during the day, the next at night, rinse and repeat. Too bad to hear 4 is more of the same.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-17, 01:44 PM   #13
james2025a
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,420
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

I completed the game over the weekend. Overall i enjoyed it, but it does not warrant a $60 price tag (which i paid). After watching videos of SE3 it looks like 4 is basically DLC for that game. I have a hard time seeing any significant differences. Even a lot of the animations are direct ports across.

I will keep going back to the game as i still want to try completing levels again using different methods, but unlike something like the Far Cry or Assassins Creed games where you can roam and find collectibles, which will in turn help upgrade weapons, accessories etc. Here the collecting serves little purpose really, and its just for completionists. I onky bother with collectibles in games if they provide some kind of in game reward, and some online trophy means nothing to me at all.

I did order a copy of SE3 today online and will play through that, but it looks like Horizon Zero Dawn is the next game on the HORIZON for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 08:21 AM   #14
Wolf359
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Wolf359's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,761
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

Picked this up used for $30 and really loved it. After not finishing Fallout 4 and slogging my way to the end of Andromeda (hating myself for finishing that) this was just what I needed.

Any recommendations for similar games? Does the new Hitman scratch this kind of itch?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 10:33 AM   #15
Osiris3657
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,565
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

I really want to like these games. I have only played the 2nd one, and it pissed me off how easily I was spotted and every mission turned into a shootout when I wanted to sneak and be stealthy. The AI just had an absurd level of awareness.

Any changes with this game?
__________________
My Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 11:55 AM   #16
james2025a
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,420
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

Well im the beginning i had the same issue, but you need to treat it like actual sniping in order to avoid being caught. Scope out your landscape and enemies, pick a good sniping spot, set up some traps around it. Then kill a couple lf targets and relocate. Wait until enemies try finding you, collect any unused traps and repeat from new location. Makes it a lot of fun.

And for recommendations, well i picked up part 3 and whilst not as good, it was still enjoyable to llay through. Also MGS5 is very similar. I picked up GR: Wildlands yesterday and that feels similar, but with a team vibe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 09:46 PM   #17
Wolf359
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Wolf359's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,761
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

Thanks I was thinking of 3. I bought Hitman Season 1 since it's on sale. No interest at all in multiplayer stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 PM.

...
Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0