Reload this Page >

Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-14-17, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

This is out today and it seems to be getting pretty solid reviews. Checking videos it appears to be a cross between Call of Duty and Assassins Creed. I am contemplating picking it up today, but have never played any others in the series.

Anyone recommend the games or have any thoughts worth sharing?
Old 02-14-17, 06:44 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts
re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

I played Sniper Elite 2 and loved it. I didn't have a console when SE3 came out, otherwise I would have played that one too.

I'm definitely going to get SE4. But I'll wait for a sale. There's going to be a bunch of DLC missions. So I might wait for the Ultimate Edition release. I still have a huge backlog from Christmas.
Old 02-14-17, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Sniper Elite 4 (PC, XBox One, PS4)

I picked up Sniper Elite 3 Ultimate Edition when it was down to $15. It's pretty damn solid for that price and there is a lot of content. If you haven't played one before, I would get that one since it's so cheap and more than likely similar enough to this one.
Old 02-14-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

After doing some research on SE4 (since this thread) it looks awesome... at a price drop. I'll go with mattsemo's advice and pick up 3. I gotta get thru Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 and Resident Evil 7 quickly with Ghost Recon and Zero Dawn around the corner.
Old 02-14-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I have burnt through a few games in recent weeks, so decided to grab a copy today. Played for about an hour and enjoying it so far. I like the mechanics and it looks very nice. I will grab a copy if 3 when I see it.
Old 02-15-17, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I played a little more this morning. I like the game as it feels old school in its gameplay and attitudes. I dont think there is much story here at all, however its a game set in the middle of WWII, so the story pretty much goes without saying. Its WAR!!! Kill the enemy. The gameplay itself actually feels old school as well. At this stage it seems a very simple set up, you are behind enemy lines, you are a sniper, you have certain targets to hit, kill them and also anything or anyone else that gets in your way. Try to remain undetected to survive longer. In this age of a lot of gamers needing their games to be very indepth and to have long convoluted stories i am not sure if a lot will appreciate the simple setup and gameplay. However, i have been having a lot of fun with it so far, as it is doing exactly what i hoped it would do. The sandbox appears to be nicely designed, the AI seems not bad and the sniping itself is a lot of the fun. The gory killshots are fantastic and like with games such as MGS: PM and Assassins Creed, i get a lot of pleasure from taking my time in a kill and executing it perfectly. After looking at Sniper Elite 3 the games look almost identical, so i am sure that a 6 month wait would have mean't saying at least $20 on this title, but so far its a lot of fun. If you are thinking of picking it up then expect a simple shooter that is highly enjoyable, but dont expect anything with huge depth and characterization or interaction (other than killing the shit out of one another).
Old 02-17-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

SE 3 is on sale for $10.49 on the current PSN flash sale.
Old 02-17-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I played a little more this morning. I like the game as it feels old school in its gameplay and attitudes. I dont think there is much story here at all, however its a game set in the middle of WWII, so the story pretty much goes without saying. Its WAR!!! Kill the enemy. The gameplay itself actually feels old school as well. At this stage it seems a very simple set up, you are behind enemy lines, you are a sniper, you have certain targets to hit, kill them and also anything or anyone else that gets in your way. Try to remain undetected to survive longer. In this age of a lot of gamers needing their games to be very indepth and to have long convoluted stories i am not sure if a lot will appreciate the simple setup and gameplay. However, i have been having a lot of fun with it so far, as it is doing exactly what i hoped it would do. The sandbox appears to be nicely designed, the AI seems not bad and the sniping itself is a lot of the fun. The gory killshots are fantastic and like with games such as MGS: PM and Assassins Creed, i get a lot of pleasure from taking my time in a kill and executing it perfectly. After looking at Sniper Elite 3 the games look almost identical, so i am sure that a 6 month wait would have mean't saying at least $20 on this title, but so far its a lot of fun. If you are thinking of picking it up then expect a simple shooter that is highly enjoyable, but dont expect anything with huge depth and characterization or interaction (other than killing the shit out of one another).
Sounds just like SE3. The SE games are all very similar but if somethings not broken I suppose why fix it.
Old 02-17-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Well worth that price
Old 02-17-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Thanks for the heads up. I was about to buy a used copy for $19 so this was a well-timed deal.
Old 02-17-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I attempted to get SE3 at that price, especially as I was driving around today trying to find the Ultimate collection version. If I can't find that copy by the weekend I might settle for the Store sale version, but still prefer having hard copies of games if possible.

I am just over half way though SE4 and whist it's good it really is very samey and there isn't much depth to it at all. Still fun for what it is and it's not stopping me from wanting SE3. I also am not impressed with the level up system and the very limited options they provide. It's VERY basic. Same for gun upgrades. This might have cut the mustard 10-15 years ago, but it's pretty lame for modern gaming.
Old 02-17-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a

I am just over half way though SE4 and whist it's good it really is very samey and there isn't much depth to it at all. Still fun for what it is and it's not stopping me from wanting SE3. I also am not impressed with the level up system and the very limited options they provide. It's VERY basic. Same for gun upgrades. This might have cut the mustard 10-15 years ago, but it's pretty lame for modern gaming.
Pretty much sums up my experience with 3. Once the thrill of the kill cam wears off, you realize you're doing the same missions over and over, with one taking place during the day, the next at night, rinse and repeat. Too bad to hear 4 is more of the same.
Old 02-21-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I completed the game over the weekend. Overall i enjoyed it, but it does not warrant a $60 price tag (which i paid). After watching videos of SE3 it looks like 4 is basically DLC for that game. I have a hard time seeing any significant differences. Even a lot of the animations are direct ports across.

I will keep going back to the game as i still want to try completing levels again using different methods, but unlike something like the Far Cry or Assassins Creed games where you can roam and find collectibles, which will in turn help upgrade weapons, accessories etc. Here the collecting serves little purpose really, and its just for completionists. I onky bother with collectibles in games if they provide some kind of in game reward, and some online trophy means nothing to me at all.

I did order a copy of SE3 today online and will play through that, but it looks like Horizon Zero Dawn is the next game on the HORIZON for me.
Old 08-11-17, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Picked this up used for $30 and really loved it. After not finishing Fallout 4 and slogging my way to the end of Andromeda (hating myself for finishing that) this was just what I needed.

Any recommendations for similar games? Does the new Hitman scratch this kind of itch?
Old 08-11-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

I really want to like these games. I have only played the 2nd one, and it pissed me off how easily I was spotted and every mission turned into a shootout when I wanted to sneak and be stealthy. The AI just had an absurd level of awareness.

Any changes with this game?
Old 08-12-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well im the beginning i had the same issue, but you need to treat it like actual sniping in order to avoid being caught. Scope out your landscape and enemies, pick a good sniping spot, set up some traps around it. Then kill a couple lf targets and relocate. Wait until enemies try finding you, collect any unused traps and repeat from new location. Makes it a lot of fun.

And for recommendations, well i picked up part 3 and whilst not as good, it was still enjoyable to llay through. Also MGS5 is very similar. I picked up GR: Wildlands yesterday and that feels similar, but with a team vibe.
Old 08-12-17, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks I was thinking of 3. I bought Hitman Season 1 since it's on sale. No interest at all in multiplayer stuff.