Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pinholes or Chips in Disc Label

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinholes or Chips in Disc Label

Hey guys. If this isn't in the right forum, I apologize. As I've been collecting more and more Wii U and PS3/PS4 games, I've noticed that a fair amount of them have some small pinholes (even brand new out of the case) in the labels when you hold them up to light. Sometimes there's one, sometimes there's multiples. I don't think it's rot, and I'm assuming It's just a minor manufacturing defect in the silk-screening process. If you ask on a collecting forum or somewhere like gamefaqs (ugh), everyone just yells "it's rot" like an echo chamber. Does anyone know for sure? If it was rot, I'd probably be able to see light coming through without holding it up to a light, right? I'd also probably have extremely bad luck for it to all be rot.

If I hold up the disc I can usually look on the label side and see where the missing pinprick of paint is. Is this anything to worry about, or is it just a simple defect? I've had no issues with playback or installing the games yet, just concerned if it could be a problem in the future.

I'd link these directly, but due to post count, I'm unable to, but similar to these, just not necessarily in the same spots:

i.imgur.com/gdzYOWM.jpg

i.imgur.com/Z2HQUQT.jpg

i.imgur.com/BAT1nV3.jpg

Thanks for any insight!
Old 02-01-17, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Re: Pinholes or Chips in Disc Label

I think it's probably just cosmetic. A flaw in the painting/printing/silk-screening on the disc.

As long as it's a DVD, this shouldn't be a problem. A CD, on the other hand, has it's data layer close to the label, so defects on the "top" could potentially effect the information on the disc. DVDs, on the other hand, have their data sandwiched in the middle of the disc.
Old 02-01-17, 08:14 PM

They're blu rays. But they should be similar to DVD in the way you mentioned, I believe.
Old 02-02-17, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

As I recall and been told....the more crucial part is the inner ring...has that rainbow reflection area...that has certain key game data stored. I've had some 360 disc in the past slightly crack due to being too tight in the case and get Disc Error every time.

I still have lot of older CD's both game and music that don't show that but I don't think that's some form of rot/erosion.....some of that could be a lot of continued use with something in the tray to simple handling a lot of.....
Old 02-02-17, 04:21 PM

Yeah, I've had that with my 360 disc for Gears of War, but that's a different issue. People like to scream "disc rot!!!", but I can see usually see the paint missing (pinprick sized) on the label side, after I flip it over from looking at it under the light. Either I'm the most unlucky person out there with rotting discs, or it's just an extremely minor manufacturing defect most people don't even notice.