Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 01:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Originally Posted by Maxflier
He's fucking with you dude. Xbox won't see this one until at least 2018 since Nintendo made a deal with themselves for exclusivity the first year of release.
Yeah, I figured. Think yours' is a joke as well...
Old 03-14-17, 01:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Xbox won't see this one until at least 2018 since Nintendo made a deal with themselves for exclusivity the first year of release.
Accurate.
Old 03-14-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So how bout this coming to Xbox One...
Are you trying to troll us? Do you seriously think a Nintendo owned IP will show up on Xbox???
Old 03-14-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
is this true or just a joke?
It is true that you can run a Switch into an Xbox One, yes. There are zero benefits to doing that, but you can do it if you want.

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I did the Gerudo desert one next.
If I'd known then what I know now, that's what I would've done second as well. I tackled the Goron beast second, but an offense-heavy reward would be more my thing in this game than a defense-centric one.
Old 03-14-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm personally holding out for the PS5 remaster.
Old 03-18-17, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Weirdly, I'm in favor of both stamina and breakable weapons. If weapons are unbreakable, there'd be a tendency to find a weapon that works great for you and never use anything else (or have a small rotation). Destructible weapons force you to vary your play style, experiment more, improvise more on the fly, and approach things more strategically. As far reserving high level weapons because you don't want them to break...I prioritize but don't limit myself. The good stuff lasts a long while, and a weapon as good / better than the one you have in your hands is usually right around the corner anyway. I can't even carry all the high-ish level weapons I've found along the way. Constantly having to drop stuff to make room, and that's okay too. I will say that pausing the action to switch weapons -- repeatedly in some encounters -- can be a drag, and I'd still even say that Witcher III did it better where weapons degrade, are more consistently/easily repairable, and can be broken down to make new stuff. At the same time, quality weapons are way more abundant here, so...not quite apples to apples.

On paper, I'd hate limited stamina and destructible weapons, but in practice, they really haven't been an issue for me.
Nah. Breakable weapons just aren't fun. If you think they are, you're wrong.
Because if I ever got an unbreakable weapon, all your reasons fly out the window, or, um, break down like all the fragile weapons in this game.

Spoiler:

At the very least, they shouldn't break so often. Seem like a single weapon can't even last one encounter with a group of enemies, and that's just shit.
Old 03-18-17, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

Yep, how fast they break is my main issue. I'll get a high powered weapon and probably half the time it breaks during the very first or second enemy I fight.
Old 03-18-17, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by slop101
At the very least, they shouldn't break so often. Seem like a single weapon can't even last one encounter with a group of enemies, and that's just shit.
Play the shrines and get worthwhile weapons in the treasure chests there, or fight stronger enemies and take their weapons. You don't have to kill an enemy to take his weapon either. Dragonbone weapons are plentiful and durable. Weapons eventually break, yes, but I haven't had anything like you describe happen to me since I moved beyond fighting with tree branches and bokoblin clubs, except when fighting Lynels. (Trying to upgrade my Barbarian armor right now.) I'm slightly exaggerating, but... It's really not any different than shooters where guns have finite ammo.

I'm not arguing in favor of breakable weapons, and it's something I ordinarily hate, but it suits a survival game oriented around exploration, experimentation, and resource management, especially when there's such a wealth of weapons around. Not saying it's an ideal implementation, of course.

An exchange from another forum that I agree with:

Er, nope. This argument doesn't work. If I find a cool gun - that's a worthwhile pickup / reward, even though I have to also find ammo for it.

If I find a cool sword that will break after a few minutes use, that's a minor reward at best.
This is the base of the criticism regarding the weapon durability and I accept it.

Are there times when I'm fighting a Lynel and I'm really pissed-off that my two best weapons just broke and he still has half health?

Absolutely!

But you know what, it makes me have to think on my feet.

I know that I've got several bows and a couple more weapons in stock and also my Bomb Runes, so there's always something I could do - maybe I could flank him from one side, maybe parry his attacks, maybe dodge a blow and get a "Flurry Rush", perhaps find a high point and paraglide over him while dropping bombs, maybe I'll just have to run away and regroup in the nearest town - there's always something I can do in the spirit of the moment and that's simply the point of it all - and I love it.

If you had unlimited weapon durability, the game would be a cakewalk, just like pretty much any other Zelda game.
...although, honestly, Urbosa's Fury and Stasis+ make it a cakewalk anyway.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-18-17 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-18-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I'd be fine if it were a "cakewalk"
The game is already bloated as it is, not having to scramble trough a menu with extra time devoted to item-management would be an improvement to the game.

Also, it's not like unbreakable weapons would suddenly give you a "win-button". It would just make the game flow better and not break up immersion as much, which to me is far more important than this strategic variety, or whatever the fuck people are using to justify this shitty game mechanic.
Old 03-18-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by slop101
Also, it's not like unbreakable weapons would suddenly give you a "win-button".
No, but that'd take a game that constantly keeps players on its toes and makes it more static and stale. I'm not trying to justify anything, and like most people, I have a long list of things about Breath of the Wild that I'm not crazy about. Destructible weapons are so low on the list for me that I can't even relate to the outcry.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-18-17 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just use bombs to take out almost every enemy
Old 03-18-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I do agree that how fast the weapons break is a bit of a pain at times. Overall though it doesn't bother me too badly as it's fairly easy to find new ones around.
Old 03-18-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think what's more annoying is the goddamn rain. Happens way too ofthen and You pretty much have wait it out if You're attempting a climb.
Old 03-19-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finished it this morning. I still got side stuff and shrines to get but I'm going to take a break and play some other stuff before doing that. For me I don't think it's quite the best game ever or even best Zelda ever that people have been saying but it's still a well made Zelda game and I'm happy they are willing to try new things with their big franchises.
Old 03-19-17, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Finished tonight as well. With as much as I died in the over worlds, the bosses were a joke. Gannon was laughably easy. Once you figure out the shield perry, nothing posses a threat. That beng said. I loved this game, was a ton of fun, and there is still so much left to do.
Old 03-19-17, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Me007gold
Finished tonight as well. With as much as I died in the over worlds, the bosses were a joke. Gannon was laughably easy. Once you figure out the shield perry, nothing posses a threat. That beng said. I loved this game, was a ton of fun, and there is still so much left to do.
Definitely. I died probably 100 times just in random battles in the world and I only died once on the final boss and a total of like 4 times between all the different versions.
Old 03-20-17, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, coming to this from Dark Souls III, the bosses are insanely easy in comparison. Still really enjoying the challenge of the journey. The overworld enemies can be tough at times.
Old 03-20-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Are the recipes you find/create not saved anywhere? It's so odd to me that the cooking isn't streamlined with as much as central a concept it is to the game mechanics.
Old 03-20-17, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Are the recipes you find/create not saved anywhere? It's so odd to me that the cooking isn't streamlined with as much as central a concept it is to the game mechanics.
I used cooking maybe two or three times in the entire game and those were for side quests.
Old 03-20-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm playing this game as much as I can - and with a new baby at home, our second child, it hasn't been easy - and I'm really loving what this game has done. It's definitely the best Zelda I've probably played since Ocarina of Time. The open world exploration is a lot of fun, and there's always something you come across, people you meet, shrines, new large enemy 'bosses' to tackle, etc. Quite fun to just run about. I also really appreciate how the narrative bits, as far and far between as they may be, actually provide this game with more structure in story than any Zelda game we've seen in some time, as well.

But I can't objectively disagree with any of the complaints that have been levied against it, either. The weapon durability thing... it makes sense to a certain degree, but Nintendo leaned way too heavily into this component of the game. Cooking just stops being fun after a while, and becomes a chore. The 'better' weapons you obtain from shrines are still fairly brittle. The stamina meter is a bit too unforgiving in the early portion of the game. There also seems to be little reason to actually engage in those enemy camps most of the time because most of the time the reward they offer is just a pittance.

But still... everything else about this game comes together in such a way that I really, really love spending time with it. Zelda has made me put basically everything I wanted to play in February on the back burner until some future date.
Old 03-21-17, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Having a great time with this so far. Right now I'm running around trying to find/complete the temples. I've got the boss fight in the giant elephant waiting for me, which is why I am trying to increase the number of heart vessels I have.

And boy, they weren't kidding about being able to go pretty much anywhere you can see. I've had the most fun just wandering around and seeing what I can see.
Old 03-21-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love to throw 5 hearty radishes into the cauldron and get 12+ hearts added to my health.
Old 03-21-17, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Love to throw 5 hearty radishes into the cauldron and get 12+ hearts added to my health.
Don't need to use 5. One of Hearty anything will yield a full heal + extra hearts food. Won't get as many extra hearts but I'd rather have 5 full-heal meals.
Old 03-21-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, I expected at least a tutorial or something. Experimenting 100% is not that fun.
Old 03-21-17, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still confused on how quest tracking works. Main Quests always point to the next objective but none of the side quests seem to work that way? It just points you to the quest giver. Do you need to unlock the part of the map that contains the next odjective location?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.