Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Old 03-05-17, 07:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Is the Wii U version going to have the DLC available that comes out later?
Old 03-05-17, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DLC situation is the same on both versions.

I think it's pretty safe at this point to say that for U owners, there is no reason not to just grab the game on the current console.
Old 03-05-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks nearly identical. It's funny that both versions have framerate issues, just in different areas.

Old 03-05-17, 11:10 PM
Banned

DigFoundry started to speculate on how the consoles' different architectures/relative strengths could explain that.

Nintendo would have known from the start of the U's design that they would eventually be creating this particular game, and that it would be far more important to them than any of their smaller, experimental titles. Yet they still thought it was OK to again sacrifice hardware power for a questionable peripheral. My God is their platform-design philosophy frustrating.
Old 03-05-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm REALLY enjoying the game, and the world is huge, but maybe too huge?
I think I'd prefer a smaller, more dense world than the sprawling, nearly empty world we got here. It has it's draws, but it's kind of a chore getting around, even with fast travel locations. I wish your horse could fast travel with you.
Old 03-06-17, 01:07 AM
Banned

Maybe as you get further in more reasons for some of the open space will appear?
Old 03-06-17, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
Nintendo would have known from the start of the U's design that they would eventually be creating this particular game, and that it would be far more important to them than any of their smaller, experimental titles. Yet they still thought it was OK to again sacrifice hardware power for a questionable peripheral. My God is their platform-design philosophy frustrating.
C'mon, that's mostly nonsense.

Let's start with the timeline. Nintendo started designing the Wii U somewhere around 2008. Aonuma started coming up with ideas for Breath of the Wild after finishing Skyward Sword in 2010 -- the open nature of the game is a direct response to how closed off the individual areas in Skyward Sword are -- and even that long predates active development. There were four years of development behind Breath of the Wild.

So, no, Nintendo did not know that this particular game was coming when they designed the Wii U. A Zelda game, sure. One this demanding? Nah.

Beyond that, it's kinda silly to suggest that Nintendo should've architected the entire system around the needs of a single game (and literally the last game they'd release for the console, at that). Zelda games sell well, but they're a far cry from Nintendo's top-sellers. The Wii era has many examples of small games far, far, far outselling Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, for what it's worth. Wii Play outsold Twilight Princess on the Wii by a ratio of more than 4:1! How many sprawling open world games has Nintendo developed? How many performance issues were cited with, say, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., Bayonetta 2, etc.? I bought Witcher III when it first launched on the PS4. Why did it have severe framerate issues (far more pervasive than those in BotW, FWIW)? Shouldn't Sony have anticipated that and included stronger hardware? Same story with Just Cause III among however many others. (...and, yeah, I know first party vs. third party means it's not exactly apples to apples, but still...)

Look, I'm not some blinded-by-fandom Nintendo champion. The list of missteps Nintendo made with the Wii U is a mile long (weak hardware, tin-eared marketing, trying to coast on the Wii's success despite having zero momentum after abandoning it for its last couple of years, a sparse software slate, a gimmick they had no real idea how to leverage, etc., etc., etc.), and I've been as vocal about that as anyone. Even then, I really don't get why such a significant percentage of what you post is a complaint about how incompetent/short sighted Nintendo is. The funny thing is that if we were to talk specifics, I think you and I would be on the same page about 95% of things, but from there, you seem to take things just a bit too far.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 03-06-17 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-06-17, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

The Wii U was just an all around poorly planned console. Bad name, low power, poorly thought out controller scheme - imo your console should never be limited to a single "master" controller. The Nintendo Switch feels like the system the Wii U wanted to be initially, and while the power is still questionable, at least everything else about it makes a lot more sense.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-06-17 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-06-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wish games still had instruction booklets.

I stumbled onto this by accident:

Shield-surf by pressing ZL+Jump+A
Fun to do from the top of a mountain!
Old 03-06-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you even octoballon bro?

And here's some cool stuff you can do that you may not have known about.

This fucking game, right?

It's like they took Zelda gameplay, added a Miyazaki aesthetic and plopped it into an Elder Scrolls wold. Three great things combined to make one awesome game!
This may turn out to be the best Zelda game yet. I'm at work, and all I can think about is getting back home and playing this game. Fuck.
Old 03-06-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Don't you have the switch? Just play it on your break!

I agree it is awesome, though, and I'm still in the very early stages.
Old 03-06-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

It is a lot of fun, but it is also a LOT harder than previous Zelda games. You really do have to plan out a lot of these encounters with enemies.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of restrictions to places you can go. You can get around a lot of enemies by planning your climbing. There isn't anywhere near the obvious linear qualities of prior Zelda games where you were guided where to go next. I have found a few locations/temples/islands where I was CLEARLY not ready to play yet, but I was able to access them. Luckily (the island) the game would not allow me to save when I was there, or I would have been quite screwed.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it.
Old 03-06-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spainlinx0

Also, there doesn't seem to be a lot of restrictions to places you can go.
Yeah, I've read that it's possible to just head straight for Gannon and finish him off, winning the game, without doing anything else. Of course it would be really difficult, but I'm sure someone will post a video of doing just that on youtube within a week.
Old 03-06-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

As far as I know, the current speedrun record is 84 minutes and 7 seconds.
Old 03-06-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And that would be missing everything that makes this game so great.

One of my favorite little moments so far was when one of orcs dropped his weapon, and after I picked it up, he screamed at me something like "that was mine!!!" and rushed at me - it was freaking hilarious.
Old 03-06-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Fret not, Speedruns rarely apply to first playthroughs.
Old 03-06-17, 01:45 PM
Banned

C'mon, that's mostly nonsense.
I won't continue to draw out this issue after this, but absolutely not.

Nintendo quite obviously needs to anticipate the development of major franchise entries on every console it produces. It doesn't matter what year U development began - every console has a lead time and every maker at this point understands (except perhaps Nintendo, ha ha ha) the timeline for a console generation. The planning phase is supposed to account for the software the console will be running in the coming years. This isn't about one game, it's about covering all anticipated use cases, and Nintendo specifically has to account for the expected games in its major franchises. Regardless of what other avenues they intend to explore, not leaving headroom for this major pillar of its business is nothing if not shortsighted.

I don't really see the distinction between A Legend of Zelda and THIS Legend of Zelda, as you put it. This is a point that should be fairly obvious even in more general terms. Nintendo would have been anticipating a new, bigger-than-ever LoZ for its new console. It would be intended to be grand, sweeping, epic. It would be judged not in a bubble, but vs. the ever-increasing competition on other platforms in 2013, or 2015, or - as it turned out - 2017. How do you possibly plan a console that will need to support that game and not give it anything close to the necessary technological base?

The fact that the game they ultimately turned in features a "sprawling, open world" and shows that the hardware isn't all that well-suited to power it only proves my point. The hardware they designed did not have the headroom to cope with industry evolution in the years it was expected to power current titles. Keep in mind, also, that if the Wii U hadn't failed, it would have been expected to host more big titles into the future. How was the console supposed to tolerate the wave of titles trying to push beyond what Breath is doing?

Once again, console R&D is supposed to build a product to successfully power the entire following generation of software. This was a clear undercooked effort.

Re: relative sales of Zelda: first of all, its sales are still more than enough to be significant on their own. That's one factor in it being LEGEND OF ZELDA. More importantly, Mario and Zelda side-by-side are the flagships of Nintendo, the mascots and premium series that have established their reputation for quality and will maintain that image moving forward. They're what allow N to position themselves as a premium brand, keep game prices high, and enjoy long-tailed sales on those titles well beyond industry norms. The rapturous reviews Breath is now receiving are what Nintendo is known for - and they will be powering its brand perception through the next decade and beyond. This is exactly what they built the title for; this is exactly what they were banking on getting back from the title. It is their flagship.

And you want to tell me that somehow, when they were planning its hardware base, they couldn't have anticipated the need for better than 2007-ish console technology? That they shouldn't have skewed stronger in its favor than towards the needs of NintendoLand? C'mon, man.

The bottom line for me is that N still do make the best games in the world, and it's not close. I will be playing Zelda on the U over Witcher, Horizon, or what have you even though I despise their hardware. There is something intangible about the character of their titles. I know Zelda will be 5x the fun of Witcher simply on Nintendo charm. So it DRIVES ME CRAZY that they keep hamstringing their biggest titles, and for what? I am thrilled that Breath seems to have turned out even better than anyone could have anticipated. But this is 2017. There's no way I can't also see what else is on the landscape, and know how much further N could have _already_ pushed Zelda if they had their priorities straight.
Old 03-06-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I dunno, I think cost is a big component of this as well, both in system development as well as software development. I don't think Nintendo wants to invest all their money in state of the art systems and go toe to toe with Sony and Microsoft (and really, how much of a difference besides software is there between those two systems? They're pretty redundant). Nor do they want to spend tons of money on art and voiceover and whatnot for games. And in a sense I don't mind that, even with whatever graphical limitations this game has on either console, it's a magnificent game. Would it be better if it were prettier? I don't really know. It's good enough for me.

Their problem comes from the inherent gimmicks they use to try to differentiate their platform (something both Microsoft and Sony also tried), and the lack of third party support. Let's be honest, third parties would rather have three similar systems they can develop once and port over to the rest. This is what's going to be a problem for the Switch, as it already seems like the stuff being ported over is being ported from Vita and last gen games... what happens when those systems are even more dead than they are now? How many third parties will really invest the time and effort to make a unique switch experience? I guess it depends on how the install base buys games this time around.

Well, that plus they stubbornly refused to discount the WiiU, even as the other consoles dropped in price. I have no idea if it's because they gave up on it early and couldn't bother to do revisions to save costs, or if they're just so adamant about making money on hardware since that's the only lifeline their company has (unlike Sony and Microsoft). But a massive pricedrop on the WiiU could have introduced new people to all their first party titles.

Admittedly my perspective is a little different because I have young kids and by far the WiiU (and 3DS) is their console of choice, because they're not going to play or watch Nioh and Bloodborne.
Old 03-06-17, 02:41 PM
Banned

Really on the same page with you here - they sunk cost into the GamePad (gimmick) when they could have used the same exact budget for an all-around better console.

It's not that they have to go all-out HARDWARE WARS with everybody. But since Wii they are too far behind the curve to be all-around competitive, and for misguided reasons.
Old 03-06-17, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
And that would be missing everything that makes this game so great.

One of my favorite little moments so far was when one of orcs dropped his weapon, and after I picked it up, he screamed at me something like "that was mine!!!" and rushed at me - it was freaking hilarious.
Yeah that was awesome . I have to try again and see what happens if you run away instead of attacking. Does he just keep chasing Link or will he try to find a new weapon?
Old 03-06-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mhg83
Yeah that was awesome . I have to try again and see what happens if you run away instead of attacking. Does he just keep chasing Link or will he try to find a new weapon?
That's just it, they're unpredictable, and do all sorts of things. From running away, or grabbing another weapon, and maybe setting fire to it if there's a fire nearby. The AI on the Bokoblins is surprisingly good. And there's so many ways for you to approach them as well. I like it when it's night and they're all sleeping.
Old 03-06-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Have the Switch version of the game, and I tell you what, being able to play at work (during lunch of course :-p ) is fantastic! Nintendo just might be on to something.

Love being able to pretty much go anywhere. I got myself stuck on the side of a mountain during a rainstorm, rocky surface was too slick to keep climbing. I sat down and what the moonrise/set and watched the weather change as the sun came up. I don't know if it was my imagination, but I swear the the shaded side of mountain area I was on was still too slick too climb, but I managed to get to a part where the sun was shining on it and was able to continue my climb. Pretty awesome stuff.
Old 03-07-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Hookshots, Wii U Maps, And Other Things Nintendo Cut From Zelda: Breath of the Wild - http://kotaku.com/hookshots-wii-u-ma...-fr-1793056895

“When it was originally just for the Wii U, we had touch controls,” said Fujibayashi. “But we had to remove them... Although it was not very flashy or exciting work, it was still time-consuming and difficult.”

In Breath of the Wild, one of Link’s main tools is the Sheikah Slate, a device that resembles the Wii U GamePad and allows Link to interact with the world. Originally, this Sheikah Slate was going to be far more connected to Wii U GamePad, to the point where Fujibayashi and the other developers had to overhaul parts of the story when they decided to bring Breath of the Wild to Switch as well.

“We felt that the way the Sheikah Slate is represented in the game and how we use the GamePad in real life synced really well,” said Fujibayashi. “So when we had to remove it, I did feel like, ‘Oh, it’s too bad we had to do that.’ And because it was so tied into the scenario, we did have to go back and redesign and rethink the scenario, which was a little bit [of] hard work.”
Old 03-07-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been playing too much Nioh. When my weapon breaks, I was running away to regroup. I didn't realize switching items actually paused the game.

The crappy part of that article is what we all suspected to be true:

One of the reasons Fujibayashi and his team tried so many new things with Breath of the Wild—and one of the reasons it took so long, after originally being slated for 2015—is that Nintendo decided mid-development that the new Zelda would come to both Wii U and Switch, then code-named NX.
Not that it would have saved the WiiU, which they probably realized at that point, but still pretty crappy for WiiU owners.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-07-17 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-07-17, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Hookshots, Wii U Maps, And Other Things Nintendo Cut From Zelda: Breath of the Wild - http://kotaku.com/hookshots-wii-u-ma...-fr-1793056895
That really bums me out.

Map aside, it would've been so sweet to have my inventory on the touch-screen, and just touch the weapon I want when the one I'm using breaks, especially the way they break so quickly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.