Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Re: The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild (March 3, 2017 - Switch/Wii U)

Yeah I don't get the attach rate. People double dipping for the collectors editions? 19,000 more games sold than consoles.
Old 04-20-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Or people pre-emptively buying the game (and SE/CE) before being able to find a console.
Old 04-20-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Are they maybe counting the U copies sold as well?
Old 04-20-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Or people pre-emptively buying the game (and SE/CE) before being able to find a console.
But why buy the vanilla game when you don't have a console? As good as the game is, there's no shortage that I'm aware of. Or are these copies that stores ordered, not what is sold through to customers?
Old 04-20-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
But why buy the vanilla game when you don't have a console? As good as the game is, there's no shortage that I'm aware of. Or are these copies that stores ordered, not what is sold through to customers?
I've seen people preemptively buy movies in physical disc formats they don't own yet, so who knows Or people hanging on to those SE and CE versions of the game that are actually pretty limited.
Old 04-20-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Sold through. The press release from Nintendo cites NPD's numbers for physical sales (and they're always sold through) and Nintendo's own internal numbers for digital sales.

Nintendo's explanation:

[The more than 100% attach rate] may be attributed to people who purchased both a limited edition of the game to collect and a second version to play.
I can imagine some people being excited enough to buy a copy of the game even if they don't have a system to play it on yet.

Originally Posted by slop101
Are they maybe counting the U copies sold as well?
Not in that 925K+, no. According to Nintendo:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game sold over 1.3 million units*. That total includes more than 925,000 units sold for Nintendo Switch and nearly 460,000 units sold for the Wii U console.
Old 04-20-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If true, I'm amazed Nintendo doesn't do more special editions. I guess there have been more the past few years.
Old 04-20-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If true, I'm amazed Nintendo doesn't do more special editions. I guess there have been more the past few years.
Considering what they did with the NES mini, Amiibos, etc no one should be surprised at how Nintendo is adverse to making extra cash.
Old 04-20-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear that percentage is suppose to just be the % of the map you've covered.

But I don't know how it calculates that - do I have to have stood on every square inch of the map, or just the general vicinity around me? Does gliding over an area not count?
Discovering a location only makes up about 18%. The rest is divided by Korok seeds (72%!), completing shrines, and clearing the divine beasts.
Old 04-20-17, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Nintendo of America seems to hate 'em, but maybe this will turn their heads. Europe and Japan got all sorts of cool stuff for the Wii U that we didn't (unless you trek out to Nintendo World, anyway, and sometime not even then).
Old 04-20-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Nintendo of America seems to hate 'em, but maybe this will turn their heads. Europe and Japan got all sorts of cool stuff for the Wii U that we didn't (unless you trek out to Nintendo World, anyway, and sometime not even then).
Well, we did get Xenoblade Chronicles (WiiU), Tokyo mirage sessions FE, Bravely Default and Second, Fire Emblem Fates, soon Fire Emblem Echoes, two Breath of the Wild huge editions, and even an Amazon exclusive Pokemon steelbook. Maybe I missed some other ones. Still doesn't compare to other regions but better than before.
Old 04-22-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

D'oh! I had #FE in mind as an exception when I wrote that but forgot about Xenoblade Chronicles X. As for the rest, I have to admit that I don't really keep up with the 3DS side of the world all that much.

I was thinking about stuff like the Hyrule Warriors limited editions, Mario Kart 8 with the blue shell on the little stand, the higher quality book that Super Mario Maker got in Europe/Japan (hardcover everywhere else; softcover here), the Book of Angels run for Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 (speaking of which, I was surprised that we actually got a physical copy of the first Bayonetta; NoA had me expecting just a download code), Fatal Frame getting a physical release basically everywhere the world over but North America, how it looked like Nintendo wasn't going to give Devil's Third a physical release at all in the U.S. until the eleventh hour...which, yeah, pretty much all of that is at least a couple of years in the rear view mirror.

Good to see that they've having a change of heart.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 04-23-17 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-22-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I played for another hour today and getting the hang of it. I had to stop once I got to the shrine where you can stop objects in time, but I couldn't get past the bolder on the bridge.
Old 04-24-17, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got the paraglider and ready to start exploring now! It was funny using the amiibos and watching shit fall from the sky. Unfortunately didn't get anything too valuable for my first time, but I'll at least try checking them daily for a bit.
Old 04-24-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Enjoy the ride! I'm jealous of you just starting the journey.
Old 04-28-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can see why everyone is digging this on the Switch. It's pretty much perfect to play in small chunks, and so far I'm strictly playing on the Wii U game pad while the kids or wife is watching something else. I just unlocked another tower to expand the map and finished a couple more shrines. I still feel like I'm a long ways away from the next story point on the map, but I'm kinda going in that general direction while using the shrine indicator and knocking those out along the way.

Using the amiibos is easily the best part, because it takes away the stress of finding items and weapons. I'm using 6 per day to drop stuff, and my inventory is always full. And running around with your pet wolf is fun watching him tear enemies apart in battle.
Old 04-28-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I can see why everyone is digging this on the Switch. It's pretty much perfect to play in small chunks, and so far I'm strictly playing on the Wii U game pad while the kids or wife is watching something else. I just unlocked another tower to expand the map and finished a couple more shrines. I still feel like I'm a long ways away from the next story point on the map, but I'm kinda going in that general direction while using the shrine indicator and knocking those out along the way.

Using the amiibos is easily the best part, because it takes away the stress of finding items and weapons. I'm using 6 per day to drop stuff, and my inventory is always full. And running around with your pet wolf is fun watching him tear enemies apart in battle.
Yeah, the speed of resuming the game on the Switch is what made it perfect for that platform imo. You could stop at any time, pick it up and be back where you were in the matter of 2 seconds.

Weapons, Shields and Bows become plentiful later on but it sounds like the Amiibo feature would have been nice at the beginning.

Beat the game last night at a little over 50 hours but feel like I barely scratched the surface of the game itself. My main complaints would be the game is a little too easy and there needs to be more levels like Hyrule Castle. Still, easily the best game I've played since Bloodborne.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-30-17 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-02-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/...ck-1-detailed/

Whether you have completed The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or you are playing it for the first time, the Expansion Pass adds fresh content to your adventure. The first DLC pack of the Expansion Pass will be available this summer. Here's a peek at what will be included.
Trial of the Sword
When you get to a certain sacred location, you can take on the new "Trial of the Sword" challenge. Face an onslaught of enemies, one wave after another. Link starts the challenge without any equipment or weapons. When all the enemies in a room are defeated, Link proceeds to the next. Clear all the trials (about 45 rooms in total), and the true power of the Master Sword will be awakened, and it will always be in its glowing powered-up state while usable.
Hero's Path Mode
This new map feature shows the path Link has walked through Hyrule from the last 200 hours of gameplay. Use the time tracker bar to see where you've spent the most time and where you have yet to explore. There's bound to be more adventures and maybe a shrine or two on the road less traveled.
Hard Mode
In Hard Mode, enemies gradually regain health, so take them out as quickly as possible. All enemies are also powered up by one level. For example, Red Bokoblins in Normal mode are now Blue Bokoblins. Enemies can also have higher maximum levels than they would in Normal mode. Look up, and you may also find enemies and treasure chests in the sky!
Travel Medallion
Somewhere in the world, there is a chest with a Travel Medallion inside. When you use this, you can register your current location as a fast travel point on the map. You can only register one location using the Travel Medallion.
More stuff in the link, including new armor. That Tingle outfit...
Old 05-02-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So no actual content, just a horde-mode, a hard-mode, and some chachkies?

Witcher 3 really spoiled me.
Old 05-02-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

So no actual content, just a horde-mode, a hard-mode, and some chachkies?

Witcher 3 really spoiled me.
They already announced before launch that the second dlc would have the new content and the first dlc just the stuff mentioned. I'm pretty sure we've already had this discussion on these forums.
Old 05-02-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The map stuff looks great to me.
Old 05-30-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm still chugging along, 60+ hours in. 3/4 beasts done, probably a bunch more shrines to go. I'm pretty sure i've missed entire towns and sections of the map given some of the side quests that I have no idea what to do on.
Old 05-31-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I got the para-glider and finally left the starting zone. it took me way too long to figure out that i needed to cook food to survive in the cold area; i just kept eating hot peppers, lol.
Old 05-31-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I got the para-glider and finally left the starting zone. it took me way too long to figure out that i needed to cook food to survive in the cold area; i just kept eating hot peppers, lol.
You could also earn clothes that would have given you cold resistance.
Old 05-31-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I just kept eating apples.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.