Old 12-31-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Re: The Questyen's Favorite Games of 2016

Old 12-31-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts

I've had my eye on Stardew Valley. Since it's on both systems, I'm just waiting for the first time it goes on sale at either digital store. Just like I did with your upcoming #1 game....

And thanks for remembering R&C. I had played it so long ago and so quickly finished that I sort of forgot about it. It was a strong game though I wish it was longer and not tied to movie cutscenes.

I was initially dazzled by The Witness and how gorgeous it is, but soon it began to feel too much like when I'm trying to help my daughter with her Algebra 2 homework. Now I'm worried that I can't get back into it since the puzzles have dramatically escalated in difficulty.
I would also put that game in the "Walking Simulator" category (albeit with plenty of puzzles), wouldn't you?
Old 12-31-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts

I generally only use the term Walking Simulator for games where the main focus of the game is walking around and the story with little to no actual gameplay or puzzles. Dear Esther, Virginia, Gone Home for example. Otherwise every classic adventure or puzzle game is a "walking simulator". The Witness's main focus is puzzles.
Old 12-31-16, 12:40 PM

Fair enough.

BTW : I picked World of Final Fantasy thanks to your recommendation of it in CAG thread when it was a DotD. I still need to play it though...
Old 12-31-16, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. Inside (XB1)

Limbo is one of my favorite games of all time so I had high hopes for Inside and it exceeded all of them and is an even greater game than Limbo is. Playdead excels at creating worlds that you want to know more about even though they only give you the barest of info about them. The art design, music, puzzles, and "holy shit" moments are some of the best I've encountered in a video game. It excels at moving between beautiful and terrifying and is an experience that everyone who appreciates games should play.

Last edited by The Questyen; 11-11-17 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-31-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,018 Likes on 841 Posts

Nice! My kid just started playing Inside!

Last edited by davidh777; 01-02-17 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-31-16, 04:54 PM

Yeah, I was over 99.9% certain that was going to be your GotY before you even started your list.

I bought it but never played it. I need to try it now.
BTW it's half off at $9.99 for PS4 at the PSN store until Tuesday.

Q: Did you play No Man's Sky? What did you think of it?
How about Quantum Break? Those are two flawed games that still might make my list (if I cared enough to compile one).
Old 12-31-16, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quantum Break before it released I was pretty sure I was going to love. I'm a big fan of the Alan Wake games and it looked fantastic. It ended up being pretty mediocre. The plot and characters something they usually excel at are lackluster and I didn't find the gameplay that engaging. I didn't hate it or anything but halfway through I was ready for it to be over.

No Man's Sky didn't look at all like anything I would like but I ended up checking it out for a weekend and I had 5-6 hours of fun out of it. The lack of any sort of story structure and the endless repeating of things to do on the planet kept it from being the type of game I would continue with but I don't regret the few hours I spent with it.
Old 12-31-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some Honorable Mentions:
Aviary Attorney (PC), The Walking Dead: Michonne (PS4), Adr1ft (PS4), Lara Croft GO (PS4), and I didn't include it but I played through all the story content Fallout 4 dlc this year and it was great.
Old 01-02-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up Inside during the PSN Christmas sale. Just getting started with it, but liking it so far. It's not my normal type of game, which is nice for a change. Hopefully I'll actually be able to finish it.
Old 01-02-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Good call on Inside. Amazing game!
Old 01-04-17, 12:10 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
19. Pony Island (PC)

Pony Island is one of those games that the less you know about it before hand the better. It starts with you playing an old arcade game called "Pony Island" and then you find out it's possessed by a demon. It then turns into all kinds of "Too Many Cooks" level weirdness and metafiction.

It's only $5 on steam and will take you 2-3 hours to play. If you are open to bizarre videogames give it a go!
I just played this one, and yeah, totally strange but absolutely worth the $5. solid recommendation!
Old 01-04-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan
I just played this one, and yeah, totally strange but absolutely worth the $5. solid recommendation!
Glad to hear!
Old 01-04-17, 09:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My only commonalities are Doom & The Witness.

I returned Doom because I wasn't looking for solo-play Unreal Tournament. The slower & more open Far Cry style is more to my tastes.

I returned The Witness because of its one-note nature and pretentious indie stink on it.

I'm becoming quite disillusioned with Indie's. "Stark Art Style" is nice. "New Mechanic" is nice also. But you need to combine them with "fun & engaging gameplay", and far too many these days are relying on only one or both of the Art/Mechanic axis. You need all three.
Old 01-04-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bryce0lynch
My only commonalities are Doom & The Witness.

I returned Doom because I wasn't looking for solo-play Unreal Tournament. The slower & more open Far Cry style is more to my tastes.

I returned The Witness because of its one-note nature and pretentious indie stink on it.

I'm becoming quite disillusioned with Indie's. "Stark Art Style" is nice. "New Mechanic" is nice also. But you need to combine them with "fun & engaging gameplay", and far too many these days are relying on only one or both of the Art/Mechanic axis. You need all three.
I guess we'll have to disagree then. I don't play games that I don't find fun and engaging so obviously all the games on my list I had fun with. And based on your pretentious indie game stink comment these type of games probably aren't for you. Thankfully for you there are tons of safe big budget AAA games that look to be right up your alley.
Old 01-04-17, 10:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

My only problem with The Witness was that, at some point, I stopped playing. Going back to it, I had forgotten what some of the newer "rules" were, so it made it damn near impossible to pick up right from where I left off. Backtracking in the game is not as helpful for some reason. So I gave up on it. I loved it when I was playing it, and I have no other complaints really.
Old 01-11-17, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
3. World of Final Fantasy (PS4)
Do you think this would be a good game to play on the Vita? It's currently only $20 at Amazon.
Old 01-11-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Do you think this would be a good game to play on the Vita? It's currently only $20 at Amazon.
I'm probably a bad judge for that since I hate playing on portable systems and I've never touched a Vita. It's quite a beautiful game so I would think it could be appreciated more on a TV but I'm sure it's fine on a Vita.
Old 01-11-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
My only problem with The Witness was that, at some point, I stopped playing. Going back to it, I had forgotten what some of the newer "rules" were, so it made it damn near impossible to pick up right from where I left off. Backtracking in the game is not as helpful for some reason. So I gave up on it. I loved it when I was playing it, and I have no other complaints really.
The Witness needs a journalling system. Great game though.