Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Most underrated video game console?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Most underrated video game console?
Atari 2600
3.57%
Nintendo Entertainment System
0%
Sega Genesis
7.14%
Super Nintendo
0%
Sega Saturn
3.57%
Sony PlayStation
3.57%
Nintendo 64
7.14%
Sega Dreamcast
35.71%
PlayStation 2
0%
Xbox
0%
Gamecube
14.29%
Xbox 360
0%
PlayStation 3
3.57%
Wii
0%
Wii U
10.71%
Xbox One
3.57%
PlayStation 4
0%
Other
7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 04:25 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Which video game console is the most underrated?
Old 12-08-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Re: Most underrated video game console?

I'll go with Sega CD.

And I feel like your poll needs some actual under the radar systems, like the PC Engine/TurboGrafix, Neo Geo, 3DO, Atari Jaguar, Lynx, Colecovision, Sega Master System, etc;
Old 12-08-16, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,246 Posts

I think the Wii U is a real contender, but the fact that so many of its best games have either been ported to the 3DS or are rumored to be finding their way onto Nintendo's next hardware diminishes that a good bit. Still: Lego City Undercover, Splatoon, Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Mario Maker, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, ZombiU, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, and Xenoblade Chronicles X ain't a bad library to have. The asynchronous multiplayer deals in Game & Wario, Nintendo Land, and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed also made for some of my favorite couch gaming over the past few years.

I personally wouldn't point to the GameCube and Dreamcast since they're so widely loved, even if they didn't rack up the sales they should've. Alas, I've never played the Saturn, and my exposure to the TurboGrafx 16 was pretty limited, so I can't speak to those.
Old 12-08-16, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'll go with Sega CD.
My vote too.
Old 12-08-16, 06:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 938 Likes on 786 Posts

Dreamcast.
Old 12-08-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 562 Likes on 413 Posts

I'll go with the Dreamcast but yeah the only systems on that list that I would say fit that poll are Saturn, Dreamcast, Xbox and Wii U.
Old 12-09-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I went with the Dreamcast, but none of the systems in the poll I would classify as "underrated." Like RichC2 said, it needs some lesser-known systems included. Personally, I think the Game Gear was pretty underrated. I had a Game Gear and a Game Boy growing up and always liked the Game Gear more. Sure, the battery life sucked, but at least I could see the damn game.

For the record, I liked the Game Boy and actually had more games for it, but never thought it was as good as my Game Gear.
Old 12-09-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS1 is my favorite console and has more games that still feel awesome than any of the older systems. I played Symphony of the Night and Tomba 2 recently and they're still absolutely kick ass platformers. In my opinion Final Fantasy IX and Tekken 3 are still among the all time RPG and fighting games. Throw in Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII, and Chrono Cross PS1 still has no equal for RPGs. Wipeout and Gran Turismo moved the racing genre forward. There's a Crash Bandicoot level in Uncharted 4 and it's dope. I don't care what anyone says Metal Gear Solid 1 was the best Metal Gear.
Yet PS1 is usually listed behind NES, SNES, and PS2 among all time consoles. Even in this poll Dreamcast is kicking it's ass despite being a PS1 competitor and having only one game that deserves mention among most of the games I've listed in Soul Calibur. Wii U has more votes and it has like 1 original game and zero 3rd party support. PS1 games still sell well on PSN.

Other systems I'd consider would be Xbox 360 and PSP. 360 was better for almost every multiplatform and people underrate it because the PS3 finished so strong with Last of Us and narrowing the multiplatform gap, but for 90+% of it's prime 360 was clearly the better console. And the PSP was so damn versatile.
Old 12-09-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

PS1 and Dreamcast are 2 different generations.

Dreamcast launched ahead of the PS2.
Old 12-09-16, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
PS1 and Dreamcast are 2 different generations.

Dreamcast launched ahead of the PS2.
When it launched PS1 was the dominant console like when Genesis launched NES was the dominant console. PS1 and Dreamcast ran on CDs while PS2 ran on DVDs. The PS2 should crush the Dreamcast, I think it's more fair to compare it to the PS1 though it was released so much closer to the PS2 though it's kind of a half generation.
Old 12-09-16, 02:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I voted for the Nintendo 64. Lack of a CD drive really hurt it because people saw Playstation commercials featuring pre-rendered cutscenes and were comparing that to in-game graphics on the 64.
Old 12-09-16, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PC Engine/Turbo Graphix/Turbo Duo. The fact it never caught on here is a sad, sad state of affairs. I'm afraid to even play mine anymore cause I don't want to break it.
Old 12-09-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

Saw something about Konami filing a new trademark for the Turbografx the other day. Wonder what that is about?
Old 12-09-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
PS1 is my favorite console and has more games that still feel awesome than any of the older systems. I played Symphony of the Night and Tomba 2 recently and they're still absolutely kick ass platformers. In my opinion Final Fantasy IX and Tekken 3 are still among the all time RPG and fighting games. Throw in Xenogears, Final Fantasy VII, and Chrono Cross PS1 still has no equal for RPGs. Wipeout and Gran Turismo moved the racing genre forward. There's a Crash Bandicoot level in Uncharted 4 and it's dope. I don't care what anyone says Metal Gear Solid 1 was the best Metal Gear.
Yet PS1 is usually listed behind NES, SNES, and PS2 among all time consoles. Even in this poll Dreamcast is kicking it's ass despite being a PS1 competitor and having only one game that deserves mention among most of the games I've listed in Soul Calibur. Wii U has more votes and it has like 1 original game and zero 3rd party support. PS1 games still sell well on PSN.

Other systems I'd consider would be Xbox 360 and PSP. 360 was better for almost every multiplatform and people underrate it because the PS3 finished so strong with Last of Us and narrowing the multiplatform gap, but for 90+% of it's prime 360 was clearly the better console. And the PSP was so damn versatile.
That's because the PSX is generally rated among the top consoles of all time (Also the 4th best selling, behind the PS2, NDS and Game Boy), it's losing this poll because it isn't underrated.

Similarly, the Xbox 360 was equally popular and also very highly rated, in the US it outsold the PS3 at a rate of nearly 2:1.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-09-16 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-09-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I voted for the Saturn since it gets so dumped on compared to the PlayStation, but I loved mine. Figured Dreamcast would win this poll though. As stated above, where are the "under the radar" consoles? Poll is flawed.
Old 12-10-16, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Of the poll items I would vote Dreamcast. Not mentioned in the polls is PSP. I had a launch model and the load times killed it for me. A month ago I picked up the 3001 model and was blown away at the load times improvement and the library of games is mind blowing. The Vita has better graphics but lacks the library. PSP is truly one of the greatest handhelds of all time.
Old 12-10-16, 06:24 AM
Political Exile

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I would have considered the Atari Lynx. Way ahead of their competition and backed with some great games. It took Nintendo probably 10 years before putting out a handheld with the same specs, not even counting that it supported multiplayer.
Old 12-10-16, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Neo Geo Pocket. SNK vs Capcom pocket version was one of the best fighters I ever played. Also the first card game was great.
Old 12-10-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Portables/Handhelds are not consoles...
Old 12-10-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

I have to go with the Sega Dreamcast. It was way ahead of it's time. The first online game I ever played was NFL 2K on the DC. Good times... Out of all the systems I've ever owned, I had the most games for the DC.
Old 12-10-16, 04:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies. And good point about leaving off several "under the radar" consoles. I thought about adding some of those, but there are just so many video game consoles that I knew I wouldn't be able to add them all. According to Wikipedia, depending on how someone defines a video game console, there are well over 100 video game consoles (not including portable systems):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._game_consoles

The sheer number of video game consoles that have been released is why I stuck with the more well-known video game consoles that most people are familiar with. I guess the best thing would have been to simply omit the poll. Anyway, thanks again for all of the replies.