Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you own both the XBox One and PS4? If so, which do you play more & spend more on?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which console do you spend more time and money on?
PS4
46.67%
XBox One or XBox One S
46.67%
Play both consoles just as equally
6.67%
Own both consoles and regretfully barely have time for either
0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Do you own both the XBox One and PS4? If so, which do you play more & spend more on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-16, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,686 Likes on 2,651 Posts

Question is in the thread title.

Which of you guys own both the PS4 and XB1 and what do you spend more time playing and more money on?

How do you divide your time between owning both systems? This is a serious question, with so much entertainment out there (TV, movies, BD, UHD, Netflix etc.), how the heck can you divide your time between 2 consoles and hundreds of dollars & dozens of hours of games and feel like you're getting your money's worth?

I only own a PS4 and barely get a few hours a week in between all my other entertainment.

I see some of you guys spend hundreds of dollars for games on both consoles and wonder how the heck are you getting the most for your money? I did a poll once asking how many hours you guys spend on gaming per week and I recall the majority here said less than 10 hours per week.

Plus, all these next gen consoles have video entertainment apps like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Showtime etc, so there is so much repetition with content in the consoles aside from games.

Added a poll for those who own both consoles.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-26-16 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 562 Likes on 413 Posts
Re: Do you own both the XBox One and PS4? If so, which do you play more & spend more

I own both and I probably spend 80% of my time playing on PS4. If it wasn't for Rock Band which I own on XB1 (and I only bought for that system because my old songs came over from my 360) it would probably be closer to 90%. They're both great systems I just prefer the PS4 so I play all the games that are on both platforms on that console. I average about 20-25 hours of gaming a week. On most weekdays I play probably 2 hours a night and on weekends around 6-8 hours a day. I'm married but no kids so I have plenty of free time to play. Video games are my main hobby so besides the around 9-10 hours of basketball I play a week it takes up the majority of my time.

In the last two or so years I've taken a break on movies and I've watched maybe 5 or so movies the entire year so far but me and my wife watch a decent amount of television programs but all through apps so we can watch whenever we want too. We'll usually watch 2 shows when she gets home from work and while eating dinner and then we split up and she works on her school stuff and I play games for a couple hours.
Old 11-26-16, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Do you own both the XBox One and PS4? If so, which do you play more & spend more

I was all about the PS4 at the beginning of the gen, but once MS pulled their head out of their collective ass and started marketing their GAME MACHINE with GAMES, I came back to the Xbox side pretty quickly. For me, the controller is far superior and back compatibility is huge.
Old 11-27-16, 12:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 267 Likes on 202 Posts

I only play my PS4 when the game is exclusive to PS4. I've always preferred the XBox controller.
Old 11-27-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Xbox One is my preference between the two - I prefer the controller, the platform in general (achievements, friends lists, and Xbox Live), and backwards compatibility has been cool letting me go back and play titles I missed last gen like South Park and Ducktales (and eventually Red Dead). I'm also a bigger fan of Microsoft exclusive titles, having enjoyed Gears of War 4, Forza 3, and other things like Tomb Raider (at the time), Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break.

I really only use the PS4 for Sony exclusives, namely the Uncharted series which is one of my favorite franchises. Aside from that, i've been let down by titles like The Order, Bloodborne, and Street Fighter V.

It helps that a lot of multiplatform titles, especially shooters or adventure games, I try and play on PC. Otherwise i'd probably play more of them on PS4. For instance major titles like Arkham Knight, Doom, or all the Telltale type games, I've played on PC.
Old 11-27-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

I get no use out my xbone. The only reason I even got one was because the 2 guys I have been playing FIFA with for years were stubborn and didn't make the switch to PS for this generation. And we don't really play anymore now so...
Old 11-27-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 408 Likes on 308 Posts

The only PS4 game I buy is MLB The Show. Otherwise it just sits there.
Old 11-28-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS4 but I seem to prefer the XB1 exclusives this gen so it's around 60/40.
Old 11-28-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

PS4 for me. Overall, I just like more about it (controller, system navigation, more friends, better performance, etc). I just use the XB1 for exclusives (Gears, Halo, Forza) and as a streaming box.
Old 11-28-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
PS4 for me. Overall, I just like more about it (controller, system navigation, more friends, better performance, etc). I just use the XB1 for exclusives (Gears, Halo, Forza) and as a streaming box.
Same exact situation here.
Old 11-28-16, 11:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 841 Posts

I have definitely spent more on Xbox One games than PS4 games total. I like the XO controller better. I don't really do online multiplayer that much, but my tiny handful of friends are on there. I use the system for Blu-ray, even though I have an OPPO BDP-103 sitting underneath it. UHD is a nice bonus. That said, I just haven't been playing many games on it lately at all. Mostly just Lego Dimensions with the family.

I only really use the PS4 for exclusives, including PS VR. I've spent more on PS4 games and stuff lately, though. Looking forward to that Horizon: Zero Dawn game more than anything else right now. All the indie games are nice to see, but I'm not fond of buying digital games on PSN (my unique situation, having to manage US and Canadian PSN accounts, since Sony doesn't let you change regions, but I might have a better solution to all that now). If it's on Steam though, I'd rather buy it there anyway.