Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-16, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 557 Likes on 408 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Music was referring to the post about Virtual Console which they have not mentioned.
Old 12-02-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Music was referring to the post about Virtual Console which they have not mentioned.
I know, my point stands though given the use of the word "thought" and that Nintendo did make a comment in general about compatibility that maybe it was presumed they had meant all compatibility. Seems like just a misunderstanding, rather anyone taking guesses or treating rumors as fact like you presumed.

Maybe it's just me, and it wasn't your intent, but I took the "people can't comprehend" response harsher then you might have meant.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-02-16 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-02-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I also said I "thought" they said... not exactly a fact statement... and it was in general to everything, not VC specific.

I don't really get why you are "losing your mind"...
Old 12-02-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Without motion controls most Wii games would be hard to play, and even if the portable switch could act as a second separate screen (which I don't think we've seen), playing DS, 3DS, and Wii U titles on it would be painful and take away portability.

As for older ports, they just saw people killing themselves trying to buy retro games, why not have people purchase them again and again while they make a killing on SNES classic and the like?
Old 12-02-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

A bunch of the leakers are saying that the right Joy-Con allows for (limited?) motion control.

What I'd like to see happen: even if the change in architecture presumably prevents Nintendo from saying "everything you've ever bought is available to you now!", as games are re-added to the Virtual Console, users who've already bought them on the 3DS, Wii, Wii U, etc. will automatically have access to them. That's probably pie-in-the-sky for a company that loves re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-reselling decades-old games at inflated prices, but I'm hopeful for some reason anyway.
Old 12-05-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look's like Reggie will be on Fallon Wednesday. I'm going to guess there will be at least some Switch news released that day.
Old 12-05-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Beyond something like "we'll have more to tell you about the Nintendo Switch next month!", I'm really expecting him to keep the conversation on Super Mario Run, Pokemon, and the NES Classic. I strongly suspect that the reason Nintendo has said so little about the Switch is because they don't want to derail what they actually have on the market to sell this holiday season (errr, or at least in theory with the NES Classic).
Old 12-05-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, Mario Run makes the most sense. Talking about NES Classic is about as useful as Fallon is as an interviewer, so I guess that is fair game.
Old 12-05-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I guess a small positive is that since the Switch will use cartridges, the cases to store the games will be smaller.
Old 12-06-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Things!

Peter Moore says that EA will have a "major game" (singular?) on the Switch. No word on what that is, although it's reportedly not Mass Effect: Andromeda. FIFA? Madden?

Although they've praised Nintendo's developer reach-out, Take Two hasn't said anything about supporting the console in the near-term. Still, that's more than we've seen from them on a Nintendo device for a long while!

Let's Play Video Games sez that From Software has gotten Dark Souls 3 running reasonably well on the Switch and that a trilogy release is being considered. Their sources also say that the Switch is more powerful when docked (or, rather, that it's underclocked when undocked), with an extra fan in the dock kicking in to help cool it. A third LPVG rumor is that Ubisoft is developing Mario RPG: Invasion of the Rabbids for launch.

Also rumored is that Pokemon Stars will be hitting the Switch in 2017, building upon Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon.

EB Games Australia briefly listed a few Switch accessories on their website, including a USB-C charger (rumor confirmed-ish!) and a carrying case for the device/game cards.
Old 12-06-16, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

"reasonably well" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement... echoes of Wii and WiiU third party efforts.
Old 12-06-16, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mario/Rabbids crossover seems interesting.
Old 12-06-16, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
"reasonably well" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement... echoes of Wii and WiiU third party efforts.
C'mon, the hardware is still months out, we have no idea when (or if at all) any Dark Souls 3 port would be coming, software is rarely polished to perfection this far out anyway -- this by no stretch of the imagination is any sort of red flag.

According to one of our sources, From Software has Dark Souls 3 running on the Nintendo Switch with a level of performance they are happy with.
You don't think that's good news?
Old 12-06-16, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think so. If the bar is getting a current generation game running on a system that isn't even out yet that is already running on hardware that is three years old doesn't seem encouraging.

I understand that graphics aren't everything, but they are going to run into the same issues with cross platform games that the Wii U had.
Old 12-06-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
You don't think that's good news?
No. Pretty much this:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I don't think so. If the bar is getting a current generation game running on a system that isn't even out yet that is already running on hardware that is three years old doesn't seem encouraging.
Old 12-06-16, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this by no stretch of the imagination is any sort of red flag.
I don't think so.
Indeed. If you want Nintendo to succeed with third parties, and you want lesser-powered hardware not to impact them again, "reasonable" performance isn't anything to get excited about this early in the game.
Old 12-06-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Who says that's "the bar"? I am genuinely baffled.

I just thought it was neat that From Software supposedly has a widely liked game up and running on the Switch. It's a developer we've rarely seen on Nintendo hardware, let alone this decidedly un-Nintendo-like franchise. I'm not saying that a late port is cause for a ticker tape parade, but the doom and gloom seems completely unwarranted.

Originally Posted by wtsang
Indeed. If you want Nintendo to succeed with third parties, and you want lesser-powered hardware not to impact them again, "reasonable" performance isn't anything to get excited about this early in the game.
The rumors have been pointing to a more powerful CPU than the Xbox One or PS4, at least. The devs/publishers that have spoken about the Switch seem very upbeat about its capabilities, and there's been a good bit of chatter about how easy it is to port current-gen games to the Switch. I have zero expectation that it'll be the most powerful console on the market, but it seems to be powerful enough, and it's well-supported by all the widely-used middleware out there. Modern engines are built for scalability to a far greater extent than we've seen in the past -- even versus a few years ago. I really don't think the Switch is behind the 8-ball here.

I'm not a blind Nintendo fanatic and have criticized them at great length, but good lord, the rampant negativity here about EVERY. SINGLE. THING. is unreal.
Old 12-06-16, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

skepticism ≠ rampant negativity

Nintendo has spent the last 10 years grooming cautious consumers because of their lackluster hardware and same 'ol iterations of their key franchises. Never mind them basically abandoning the WiiU after 3 years. If there is negativity, they've earned that all on their own.

I do agree that seeing "a developer we've rarely seen on Nintendo hardware, let alone this decidedly un-Nintendo-like franchise." That's a good sign.
Old 12-06-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not a blind Nintendo fanatic and have criticized them at great length, but good lord, the rampant negativity here about EVERY. SINGLE. THING. is unreal.
Seems deserved to me, but it reminds me of the DC movie threads where the handful of DC fans seem to get upset at the negativity because everyone else doesn't like what they see despite having good reason. It would be one thing if it was just blatant bashing, but for the most part I think a lot of the criticism here isn't like it's out of nowhere and followed up with legitimate (to me) reasoning.

Personally, the Dark Souls 3 stuff doesn't seem like positive news to me if you consider the rest of the article - that it's just a test and a release depends on the financial viability - which let's be honest, isn't probably going to be much. Reminds of the Wii U having ports of a lot of the basic multiplatform titles it's first year only to see companies stop doing it because they sold terribly. Maybe more people want to play these games on a portable platform then I expect, but I don't really see this as particularly good or bad news either way. If anything, seems pretty typical for developers to do.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-07-16 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-07-16, 12:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No "rampant negativity" here. Just reasonable expectations based on what is now quite a long track record of Nintendo's.

Also, I personally haven't heard a single thing to suggest Tegra hardware should be expected to even match PS4/XO. I don't know enough to speculate myself, and the proof will be in the hard reveal, but relatively underpowered to some degree hardware only makes sense given 1) the form factor 2) the expected price target 3) Nintendo's demonstrated design philosophy.
Old 12-07-16, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I do agree that seeing "a developer we've rarely seen on Nintendo hardware, let alone this decidedly un-Nintendo-like franchise." That's a good sign.
That's the entire reason I shared that rumor, and I was told by three separate people that it's not good news.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Seems deserved to me, but it reminds me of the DC movie threads where the handful of DC fans seem to get upset at the negativity because everyone else doesn't like what they see despite having good reason.
That's the thing, though. I'm not some banner-waving Team Switch guy. I think the shared library aspect is phenomenal to finally see -- the portable/console divide has been one of Nintendo's biggest weaknesses this past generation -- but I'd have preferred to have had a choice between form factors rather than being limited to a probably-worst-of-both-worlds hybrid. If you look through the Wii U thread, I've been very, very critical of Nintendo, to the point that I'm probably the biggest reason LosingMyMind picked up his toys and went home.

It's not that I'm precious about the Switch and refuse to accept any skepticism or criticism. It just feels like every rumor or scrap of news is met with a chorus of jeers (and little-to-nothing else), so much so that it's, like...what's the point of continuing to post these leaks and such?

On another subject, for whatever it's worth:

Nintendo Switch will be able to play GameCube games via its Virtual Console service, three separate sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

GameCube support is already tested and working, we understand, and three Nintendo games have already been prepped for Switch.

Those games are Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion and Super Smash Bros. Melee.
And while the number of platforms to be offered on Switch's Virtual Console has yet to be nailed down, we've heard that there should be an upgrade programme similar to that available on Wii U, where earlier purchases of Virtual Console NES games can be 'upgraded' for a small fee rather than being bought again at full price.

We've also heard that Nintendo Switch's Virtual Console is being engineered by (Nintendo European Research and Development) NERD, the studio behind the recent NES Mini micro-console which sold out in many stores ahead of Christmas.
It's disappointing that previous purchases aren't rumored to just carry over, but at least Nintendo isn't demanding full price. What we've seen of NERD's emulator is a hell of a lot better than what the Wii and Wii U have offered.
Old 12-07-16, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wtsang
No "rampant negativity" here. Just reasonable expectations based on what is now quite a long track record of Nintendo's.
Same here. I'm just seeing a pattern here with what Nintendo has done with the past couple generations. Both the Wii and the Wii U have great first party games, no one is arguing that. But when it comes to third party stuff, having an under powered system that has difficulty porting over current gen games is going to be a huge cause of concern. I think the Switch has good intentions, but I think it's going to struggle in the long run based on that alone. When you add on some of the other struggles that Nintendo runs into (online/multiplayer, cross platform/backwards compatibility, etc), it makes you wonder if they actually take any feedback from past system shortcomings into account when moving into a new generation.
Old 12-07-16, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

But when it comes to third party stuff, having an under powered system that has difficulty porting over current gen games is going to be a huge cause of concern.
...but that's not established to be the case for the Switch. (Less powerful in at least some respects, almost certainly. Insufficiently powerful -- no one's said anything along those lines.) In fact, everything we've been told by third parties and Nvidia has indicated that the Switch is very capable and very easy to port to / develop for.

I think the Switch has good intentions, but I think it's going to struggle in the long run based on that alone. When you add on some of the other struggles that Nintendo runs into (online/multiplayer, cross platform/backwards compatibility, etc), it makes you wonder if they actually take any feedback from past system shortcomings into account when moving into a new generation.
Again, though, you're assuming that Nintendo has learned nothing. I can completely understand the skepticism, especially considering that Nintendo would so often say that they've learned from a previous generation's mistakes before doing the exact same thing again. Still, they brought in DeNA to help with their account system. They reportedly have a more skilled team involved in the Virtual Console now. Nintendo ensured that the Switch was supported by all the popular middleware tools. Their outreach to devs/publishers has been praised. Every developer who's spoken up about the Switch has said how easy it is to work with. Will the Switch be where it ought to be? We don't know enough yet to say for sure, but it's extremely premature to claim that this is the Wii U all over again.
Old 12-07-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's the entire reason I shared that rumor, and I was told by three separate people that it's not good news.

That's the thing, though. I'm not some banner-waving Team Switch guy. I think the shared library aspect is phenomenal to finally see -- the portable/console divide has been one of Nintendo's biggest weaknesses this past generation -- but I'd have preferred to have had a choice between form factors rather than being limited to a probably-worst-of-both-worlds hybrid. If you look through the Wii U thread, I've been very, very critical of Nintendo, to the point that I'm probably the biggest reason LosingMyMind picked up his toys and went home.

It's not that I'm precious about the Switch and refuse to accept any skepticism or criticism. It just feels like every rumor or scrap of news is met with a chorus of jeers (and little-to-nothing else), so much so that it's, like...what's the point of continuing to post these leaks and such?
The comparison wasn't intended to label you personally like a fanboy, just an example of a similar situation where I feel the negativity has been justified yet people complain about it simply because others don't share the same excitement they do. Again, no one is blatantly bashing, so unless you want everyone to withhold their honest opinions about what they see, sorry that the same news and rumors don't excite some of us like they do you?

Hey, that's good news!
Old 12-07-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That is good news. The Gamecube was the last time we saw F-Zero & Waverace. It'll be good to play those again since they're aparently dead franchises to Nintendo. It was also home to the last good Zelda console and Mario Kart games as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.