Spoiler:
True.
Old 10-23-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by RichC2
probably, it got super fucking stupid kinda silly really fast
I don't see anything here that's been overtly stupid or silly, but maybe thats just me. Or maybe my comments have been stupid
Old 10-23-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I apologize if I've been negative, but while I've enjoyed Nintendo's games from day one, most of their consoles, especially the last few, have left more than a little to be desired, and this one seems to be following suite. I understand that they're trying to be different from Sony and MS, and I'm not sure what I would do to differentiate from them, but I don't think N's been going about it right.
Old 10-23-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yep, we're negative because we care and want the best system Nintendo can produce so they don't go the way of Sega.
Old 10-23-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like you guys want Nintendo to go the way of Sega, though.

"If you can't make a console that we want, don't bother! We love your IP, but put them on real home consoles! You're already breaching into the mobile phone platform, go ahead and stop with your weird handhelds too."

I mean, they are taking a step to actually make a home console that isn't a gimmick and you're still complaining.

Don't like WaggleTech? Gone.
Don't like a tablet controller? Gone.
Want a traditional "Pro" controller? Check.
Want 1080p? Check.
Want online? Check.

You don't like that it's also a portable system? Leave it in the dock and enjoy your IP.
Old 10-23-16, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

It's not really a home console, though? It's a tablet that can output to a tv. I can understand the complaining at least until more specs come out.

I don't see how you can say that the switch thing isn't a gimmick.
Old 10-23-16, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think you just answered your own question.

It's not a home console. It's a handheld that can output to a TV when you're home and supports various controllers to that end.

It's what Apple is starting to do with tvOS.

It's not a gimmick, it's a feature. It's not going to ruin any game made for it by tacking on "mobility" or "couch".
Old 10-23-16, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, do we really need another XB1 or PS4? Do we really want Nintendo to keep splitting their game franchises across completely different form factors?

I really and truly don't. This is exactly what I need from Nintendo.
Old 10-23-16, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pinata242
I think you just answered your own question.

It's not a home console. It's a handheld that can output to a TV when you're home and supports various controllers to that end.

It's what Apple is starting to do with tvOS.

It's not a gimmick, it's a feature. It's not going to ruin any game made for it by tacking on "mobility" or "couch".
I mean, do we really need another XB1 or PS4? Do we really want Nintendo to keep splitting their game franchises across completely different form factors?

I really and truly don't. This is exactly what I need from Nintendo.
A feature I don't care to have to pay extra for though if it does not have to be done. And here's the thing, you or anyone of else don't know though if the addition of the portability is going to ruin any game made for it. Because they added the portable feature it very well may have gimped how great this system could be in terms of abilities.

If Nintendo is not going to go the way of Sega in terms of the "home console" market then yes I would love to have a great Nintendo home console like back in the day when they ruled that market. They seemed to do perfectly fine back then having a home console division and a portable division separate of each other. Instead now they try to get even more gimmicky at least in the sense of TRYING to give me a home console but add on a portable feature I don't need/want. I'm glad that it would work for you, but I've seen the improvement that both XB1 and PS4 have been doing in terms of graphics,etc and I just want my beloved Nintendo franchises of old to also be able to perform at least at their level considering how many years after they have been out on the market. Hopefully this system can come closer to delivering this to me, but we'll not know until more information is out of course.
Old 10-23-16, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We do know that. It can't ruin anything. You know why? It doesn't exist yet. It is what it is.

Could a traditional home console be more powerful? Absolutely.

Would the next traditional home console from Nintendo be more powerful? History tells us no.

Even if this is just a WiiU as a portable device, it's still better for me than what they've been doing the last 10 years.
Old 10-23-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My point is that it is at worst a lateral move for a console and a huge step for a portable. And it's wonderful for their library. I can't see it as a bad thing but I don't care for a 4K Nintendo 256 just to play Mario, Metroid, Zelda, and Pikmin.
Old 10-23-16, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Even if this is just a WiiU as a portable device, it's still better for me than what they've been doing the last 10 years.
Such a low bar though.
Old 10-23-16, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed but we gotta start somewhere.
Old 10-23-16, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Wonderful for their library?
Old 10-23-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If they want third party support, they need to be comprable to PS4 and XB1. If this console comes in underpowered, especially when we are a month away from PS4 Pro, how do you sell developers on that? With all of the talk about better graphics and 4K, I just don't see the gimmick with the portability and quick docking being a huge selling point.
Old 10-23-16, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Music
Wonderful for their library?
Nintendo's handhelds have typically had a completely different architecture from their consoles, so they had two separate ecosystems they had to support. Now it's completely aligned, so instead of having to make one Mario Kart for the 3DS and another for the Wii U, one 2D Mario game for the 3DS and another for the Wii U, one 3D Mario game for the 3DS and another for the Wii U, one Donkey Kong game blah blah blah, they should be able to push out a lot more games. Not to speak for pinata, but that's why I think the Switch is wonderful for their library.
Old 10-23-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, why the hell doesn't Nintendo do a subscription service like Sony does? They have hundreds of games that people would pay $15 to $20 a month to play.
Old 10-23-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Ok, I wasn't sure if he was referring to backwards compatibility, as the only thing I have heard is that it's not
Old 10-23-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

all of pinata's posts
I'm kinda where slop is:

Originally Posted by slop101
I understand that they're trying to be different from Sony and MS, and I'm not sure what I would do to differentiate from them, but I don't think N's been going about it right.
I don't know what they should be doing, but this just seems like the wrong direction.

I mean we just had a Nintendo console with a tablet and it failed fucking miserably. What's the difference with the Switch? The tablet is the console and you can leave your house (for 3 hours). I don't see how that's all of a sudden a game changer.

I'm also not falling for the "we have all teh devs110!!01!" nonesense. Both the Wii and WiiU boasted similar pre-launch claims and hype and we see where both of those ended up. So all that goes in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category.

All that being said, I was pretty harsh on the WiiU before it launched and I still bought one at launch.
Old 10-23-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Nintendo's handhelds have typically had a completely different architecture from their consoles, so they had two separate ecosystems they had to support. Now it's completely aligned, so instead of having to make one Mario Kart for the 3DS and another for the Wii U, one 2D Mario game for the 3DS and another for the Wii U, one 3D Mario game for the 3DS and another for the Wii U, one Donkey Kong game blah blah blah, they should be able to push out a lot more games. Not to speak for pinata, but that's why I think the Switch is wonderful for their library.
The Switch seems like a terrible portable though. Good graphics (with corresponding increase in development costs), terrible battery life, more expensive games and horrible form factor. I'm pretty sure Sony already released something like this and it failed miserably.
Old 10-23-16, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't see anything here that's been overtly stupid or silly, but maybe thats just me. Or maybe my comments have been stupid
I was just commenting on the overall negativity
Old 10-23-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Not to speak for pinata, but that's why I think the Switch is wonderful for their library.
Yeah, that's what I meant with too few words.
Old 10-23-16, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
The Switch seems like a terrible portable though. Good graphics (with corresponding increase in development costs), terrible battery life, more expensive games and horrible form factor. I'm pretty sure Sony already released something like this and it failed miserably.
This could very well be the case as well. But I'm sure they've already planned an external Switch battery that slides between the controllers and the unit. A little extra width for a few more hours out there
Old 10-24-16, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Not true. You will be able to stream it to your Vita from your PS4.

It also shows the lack of NEW game support if they are advertising a 5 year old game on a new system. But the Wii U had the same problem at launch so I guess it's not too much of a surprise.

The good news is I'm sure we'll see a bunch of phone and tablet games ported over.
Outside the home? (PS4/Vita)
Old 10-24-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, back in post #149

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.