Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I'll be picking up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe when it's out. I'm pacing myself with Breath of the Wild and am not even close to being done but I want it to last. I don't have much of a problem with holding the system as a handheld. It's actually pretty comfortable for me. I like using the Joy Cons individually though too.
Old 04-02-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
So the USB-C Extender that you have is connected to the male USB-C at the bottom of the dock? Then your Switch just sits somewhere else outside of the Dock when in Console Mode?
Yup. It's laying on one of my Blu-ray players right now, although I'll probably get a proper stand one of these days. I'll take a picture when I get home.
Old 04-02-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Yup. It's laying on one of my Blu-ray players right now, although I'll probably get a proper stand one of these days. I'll take a picture when I get home.
Thanks! I'll have to pick up a USB-C Cable as well as an Extender sometime this week.

I got the Screen Protector on my Switch on (that came with the Carrying Case I bought) and it's currently just charging via the AC Adapter.
Old 04-02-17, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Stopped into my local Walmart and was surprised to see they had three Switch's in stock.
Old 04-02-17, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Thanks! I'll have to pick up a USB-C Cable as well as an Extender sometime this week.
This is the cable I'm using.

This is how things currently look in practice, which, yes, I know, and I'm cringing too:

I'll probably put it on a charging cradle instead of just plopping it on another device one of these days.
Old 04-03-17, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Stupid question incoming. I'm finally un-boxing the Switch that I bought on Launch Day.

Where the Switch goes into the Dock, there is USB (C) spot? Should I be purchasing a short USB-C cable to charge while it is in the dock? I'm a bit confused on how the Dock works.
I'm confused, does docking it not charge it? Or are people just worried about scuffing their screen still?

After a few days, so far my only issue with my Switch was the left joy-con disconnecting (which I hear I can fix with some foam.)

Last edited by RichC2; 04-03-17 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-03-17, 09:25 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I was sure this would bomb. People seem positive, by and large. True? A co-worker brought his son to work over his spring break and he brought his Switch. He let me try Zelda and I was pretty impressed. I don't see myself getting one anytime soon, but still, it was much cooler than I thought it would be.
Old 04-03-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm confused, does docking it not charge it? Or are people just worried about scuffing their screen still?
Docking does charge it, yeah. I'm only using that cable to avoid scratching the screen.
Old 04-03-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Docking does charge it, yeah. I'm only using that cable to avoid scratching the screen.
Makes sense, I was lucky enough to get a rather loose fitting dock.
Old 04-03-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the cable I'm using.

This is how things currently look in practice, which, yes, I know, and I'm cringing too:
Thank you! The link you posted has a cable that has only one USB-C end. Should I be looking for one with two?

I was at Office Depot yesterday and I was curious if the Switch would fit comfortably on one of those Tablet Stands.

Makes sense, I was lucky enough to get a rather loose fitting dock.
It's definitely the reason why I'm going to do it as well, to avoid scratching the screen.
Old 04-03-17, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's worth testing the dock before jumping to that point, but I can understand that.

I called Nintendo about my left Joy-Con, they sent me a shipping label and said it'd all be done inside a week. Stupid tri-wing screwdrivers.
Old 04-03-17, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Why not just buy a screen protector? I got the glass amfilm one and so far so good.
Old 04-04-17, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's worth testing the dock before jumping to that point, but I can understand that.

I called Nintendo about my left Joy-Con, they sent me a shipping label and said it'd all be done inside a week. Stupid tri-wing screwdrivers.
Good to know about the Joy-Cons! If mine has any issues, I'll go the same route.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Why not just buy a screen protector? I got the glass amfilm one and so far so good.
I bought a Screen Protector on Launch Day. It's not a glass one but it's currently on my Switch right now.
Old 04-04-17, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Thank you! The link you posted has a cable that has only one USB-C end. Should I be looking for one with two?
There's a male USB-C plug in the dock itself. Press down on the plastic bit in the middle to expose it.
Old 04-04-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Best Buy here is stocking up for a Switch + Peripherals event on Sunday. Not sure if that's Nationwide or what, but yeah, for anyone looking.
Old 04-04-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a male USB-C plug in the dock itself. Press down on the plastic bit in the middle to expose it.
Thanks again!

I bought a Hori Play Stand as well as a Hori Screen Protector.

The current Screen Protector I bought from Launch day doesn't go all the way to the edges. I loved Hori's Screen Protectors for my Nintendo DS, so it makes sense to go with them again.

Last edited by asianxcore; 04-04-17 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-04-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Urgh. Sounds like you should avoid Lego City Undercover on the Switch unless portability and/or co-op mode are absolute must-haves. It's 720p even when docked: the same resolution as the four year old Wii U release. Despite the whole physical media thing, only around 7 gigs of the game are on the card itself, and there's a 13 gig update as soon as you fire it up to get the rest. That's half the default capacity of the Switch! ...and you're paying 3 times as much as the current asking price of the Wii U version for the privilege!
Action, adventure, and a big dose of humor; the hallmarks of Lego games are all there in Lego City Undercover, and now you can play the game on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC for US $60 / £50 / AU $90. The game is out today in North America, on April 5 in Australia, and in Europe on April 6.

Lego City Undercover raised concerns last month when a cover of the game's Nintendo Switch release showed it required up to 13 GB of storage (about 40% of the console's hard drive space). Nintendo later said this was a mistake, and players who buy the physical version will be able to enjoy the full game without any extra downloads required.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/le...block-33386876

No confirmation on whether the long loading times were fixed. Some players are saying around 50 seconds on the Switch, even with a patch.

Since it's a LEGO game, the price should be reduced in a couple of months or so. I enjoyed the little I played of it, but it's not worth $60 for me.
Old 04-04-17, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/le...block-33386876

No confirmation on whether the long loading times were fixed. Some players are saying around 50 seconds on the Switch, even with a patch.

Since it's a LEGO game, the price should be reduced in a couple of months or so. I enjoyed the little I played of it, but it's not worth $60 for me.
Yeah the game doesn't exactly look that much better than the WiiU version, plus you lose the tablet functionality. I dunno about paying full price for a port, even with reduced loading times. However I don't remember the original WiiU version dropping in price like other Lego games, though that may have been because of its exclusivity.
Old 04-04-17, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by fujishig
However I don't remember the original WiiU version dropping in price like other Lego games, though that may have been because of its exclusivity.
Like some other early Wii U exclusives (Pikmin 3 would be another), Lego City Undercover kinda vanished after a while. It was somewhat tough to find -- even at full price -- until the reprint / price drop last year.

It's an unbelievable game, though. My favorite Lego game that I've played for sure and one of the best titles on the Wii U of any genre.
Old 04-05-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So the Pro controller has some great heft to it and I really like it, but there really is something off putting about buying a $70 game pad. I felt kinda dirty buying it, was weird.

That said, I definitely like it.
Old 04-06-17, 06:15 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Nintendo’s profit margins on the Switch might be pretty slim
Maybe you shouldn't get your hopes up for a Switch price cut.
By EMMA SCHAEFER | 04/6/2017 02:30 PM PT

A Nintendo Switch will cost you $300 at a store, or even more if you’re picking up a copy from a reseller online. Now, a new report out of Japan has revealed another interesting cost: what each Nintendo Switch costs Nintendo.

According to an estimate from Japanese teardown company Fomalhaut Techno Solutions (via VG 24/7 and Polygon), each Nintendo Switch costs roughly $257 in parts for Nintendo to make. That’s the combined costs of the tablet itself, with its touchscreen, Nvidia processor, power supply, and the two bundled Joy-Con controllers.

Those Joy-Cons also cost Nintendo a pretty penny, with estimated manufacturing costs of around $45 each. On the consumer end, these controllers cost $50 each to buy, so Nintendo isn’t making much, if any, profit off standalone purchases.

In fact, since the estimate is being widely reported as just the cost of parts—and would therefore not include manufacturing or shipping costs—Nintendo must be operating on pretty thin margins across the board. (Remember that retailers pay a lower, wholesale price to buy the consoles from Nintendo, so most sales won’t even net the Big N full MSRP.) Nintendo has stated in the past that it didn’t intend to sell the Switch at a loss, so even if it’s managed to achieve that, it appears unlikely we’ll see a drop in price any time soon.
Nintendo’s profit margins on the Switch might be pretty slim
Old 04-06-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's pretty powerful for a tiny tablet, so that isn't a surprise. It's why the accessories are so expensive.
Old 04-06-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

A single joy-con costs $45 to make? No fucking way.

If the cost of the console is legit, then that explains the mark-up on all the accessories. Gotta make it back somewhere.
Old 04-06-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
A single joy-con costs $45 to make? No fucking way.
I mean, the MSRP for pairs of 'em is $79.95 (which would be $90 to produce if that teardown were on the money. which wouldn't cover packaging, R&D, shipping, etc.), and a chunk of that goes to the retailer. There's no way Nintendo is taking a loss that steep. Or, well, I can't imagine that they're taking a loss at all.

Last edited by Adam Tyner; 04-06-17 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-07-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe after repair costs.

I called Nintendo about fixing my Left Joy-con on Monday, they e-mailed me a label, took it to UPS late Tuesday afternoon, and received the fixed one this morning at 10:30 AM (Friday). It was a 2-day shipping return label and the fixed product was shipped via next day. I could see that adding up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.