Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 01-09-17, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Without glossing over the many mistakes Nintendo has made, I call bullshit on the "won't even be able to preorder it!" thing. It won't be any more difficult to preorder or buy at launch than any other console. (Bearing in mind that brand new consoles are rarely found on store shelves for months, unless they're...errr...the Wii U or 3DS.) Nintendo told investors that they're targeting two million units sold before the end of March, so there'll presumably be around that many to preorder.

I guess we'll find out about preorders on Friday!
Old 01-09-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
The latest Nintendo Switch rumour doesn’t bode well for US consumers looking to get their hands on the upcoming Nintendo Switch in March. A GameStop insider apparently said that getting the Nintendo Switch at launch will pose to be a difficult endeavour as the majority of GameStop stores won’t be allocated enough stock to fulfil demand.

Our inside source, the same source that gave us the info on the advertising and stuff like that. He said “Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor because it seems that, not all, but a good majority of gamestop stores are not going to have to many switch units to go around.”

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/0...edium=facebook
Long version: I went into a Gamestop for the first time in years around the holidays. I had managed the impossible task of finding a 3DS XL for my son but it was the one color he didn't ask me for (red). Gamestop had their display boxes on the shelves for all four of the colors with stickers that said "take this up to the counter to purchase!"

I knew it was too good to be true but if they had the one he wanted, I didn't want to miss out. So I took the Pokemon one up there and said "you don't have this, do you?" They were like "No, we haven't had any for months". All I could think was "then take the fucking boxes off the shelf".

Short version: Fuck Gamestop. Now I remember why I stopped going in there.

I will hopefully get a preorder in at Best Buy or something for the Switch. But it is beyond ridiculous that you still can't find a NES Classic.
Old 01-09-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Still too many unknowns right now to worry about pre-ordering anyway.
Old 01-10-17, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ranspang
Then Mario Run gets released for IOS only, $9.99 for an app, OK game but not worth $10 dollars.
For my money, it's absolutely worth $10. The mechanics are great; I'm still playing it. Getting the pink, purple, and black coins in each level is a lot of fun, and the levels change with the different difficulties.

The only terrible thing is the wifi requirement, instead of syncing data after being offline.

It will most likely come to Android eventually, but that's how all mobile releases work: iOS followed by Android. iOS users spend more and Android piracy is rampant.
Old 01-10-17, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

If the WiiU was impossible to find for the first six months or so that would've probably saved me some money.

But Nintendo isn't stupid. I'm sure they'll play the scarcity game to drum up more interest but this isn't Xmas time and unlike the Nes classic, which was probably just pure profit per unit sold for them, the Switch actually has to drive accessory and software sales.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-10-17 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Without glossing over the many mistakes Nintendo has made, I call bullshit on the "won't even be able to preorder it!" thing. It won't be any more difficult to preorder or buy at launch than any other console. (Bearing in mind that brand new consoles are rarely found on store shelves for months, unless they're...errr...the Wii U or 3DS.) Nintendo told investors that they're targeting two million units sold before the end of March, so there'll presumably be around that many to preorder.

I guess we'll find out about preorders on Friday!
I'll take you up on that bet. The Xbox One was available to preorder on Amazon for months and the PS4 for weeks. Even after that, they wouldn't guarantee a launch unit, but still allowed preorders. If Amazon opens up preorders for this thing, it's going to crash the site and sell out in hours, if not minutes.

Originally Posted by fujishig
But Nintendo isn't stupid. I'm sure they'll play the scarcity game to drum up more interest but this isn't Xmas time and unlike the Nes classic, which was probably just pure profit per unit sold for them, the Switch actually has to drive accessory and software sales.
Exactly. At the end of the day, Nintendo is still a business and have manufactured consoles for decades. Anything they can do to drum up hype and scarcity they are going to keep doing to stay relevant. It will be interesting to see at the end of the year how many games on this console are on GOTY lists.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 01-10-17 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'll take you up on that bet. The Xbox One was available to preorder on Amazon for months and the PS4 for weeks. Even after that, they wouldn't guarantee a launch unit, but still allowed preorders. If Amazon opens up preorders for this thing, it's going to crash the site and sell out in hours, if not minutes.
Doesn't Amazon have a weird relationship with Nintendo? I'm not counting on pre-orders from Amazon for the Switch.
Old 01-10-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Doesn't Amazon have a weird relationship with Nintendo? I'm not counting on pre-orders from Amazon for the Switch.
Yes Amazon pissed off Nintendo because of something to do with the 3DS if memory serves me correct.
Old 01-10-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Not to be too negative, but hasn't the novelty of mobile gaming worn off yet? I was a huge supporter of the Vita (and still think it's a great system with Cross-Buy, Cross-Play titles) and own three 3DSs now, but the reality is that I almost never play them. Maybe if someone does a lot of business travel or spends a lot of time commuting on public transportation, I suppose it might be more appealing. But I never really use it like I thought I would. It's hard to bring a gaming system to work -- even when you're the boss, it looks bad (and it's not like you could just slip the Switch into your pocket discretely).

The Switch might be the Holy Grail of portable system -- a full console experience on a mobile screen, but I still wonder who it's really for. I know I'd never let a kid younger than 10 play with mine. And it certainly doesn't look rugged enough to survive a drop.
Old 01-10-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I've always assumed the Nintendo handhelds are basically for kids. I'm not sure how much a new 3DS or whatever the latest and greatest Nintendo handheld costs, but if it's in the ballpark of what the Switch will cost, I guess it makes sense to try and merge the home system and portable system.
Old 01-10-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Not to be too negative, but hasn't the novelty of mobile gaming worn off yet? I was a huge supporter of the Vita (and still think it's a great system with Cross-Buy, Cross-Play titles) and own three 3DSs now, but the reality is that I almost never play them. Maybe if someone does a lot of business travel or spends a lot of time commuting on public transportation, I suppose it might be more appealing. But I never really use it like I thought I would. It's hard to bring a gaming system to work -- even when you're the boss, it looks bad (and it's not like you could just slip the Switch into your pocket discretely).

The Switch might be the Holy Grail of portable system -- a full console experience on a mobile screen, but I still wonder who it's really for. I know I'd never let a kid younger than 10 play with mine. And it certainly doesn't look rugged enough to survive a drop.
I think it's more for kids. My 12 year old plays his 3DS constantly and often plays WiiU games on the gamepad. For him to be able to take the portable part up to his room is fantastic.
Old 01-10-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I always saw Mobile Gaming more for the kids as well, I think that was one of the main attributes to Vita's downfall. I see the Nintendo Switch as less of a mobile device and more as having a built-in TV.
Old 01-10-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
That was resolved like 3 years ago.
Old 01-10-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

You can sign up for pre-order details when they become available at Gamestop's website.
Old 01-10-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
With all due respect, I just can't imagine anything close to that happening.

I don't see the NES Classic Mini being an accurate point of comparison. It's a $50 nostalgia box released in time for the holidays. Nintendo sold around 196,000 of them in November. There for all intents and purposes were never any preorders. (Just Target and Toys R Us, right?).

Nintendo is targeting 2 million Switch sales in the first two weeks or so. It's a device that by most accounts will be at least $250. (So, around ten times as many units at five times the price!) That's not an impulse buy price point. Its release date doesn't dovetail with a holiday, unless people are going nuts with pricey Easter gifts. It's not a nostalgia play. Very little is known about it. There's a great deal of curiosity, but that doesn't necessarily translate to pent-up demand.

The Wii was tough to find early on but was manufactured on a colossal scale -- artificial scarcity it wasn't. The Wii U and 3DS were readily available at launch...excessively so, even.

The Wii U didn't crash Amazon and sell out in minutes. The 3DS (limited editions excepted) didn't crash anything but sales projections and was such a flop that Nintendo had to respond with an immediate price drop. Animal Crossing Amiibo didn't crash Amazon; stores would struggle to give those figures away.

I know there's that mindset of "Nintendo gonna Nintendo; of course it'll be tough to find at launch!", but so was the PSVR. So are new iPhone models. I remember shopping for gifts late in 2013 and overhearing folks being told that there weren't any PS4s or Xbox Ones in stock. I do expect Nintendo to take care to not overproduce as they did with the Wii U and 3DS, but I don't think it'll be some sort of immediate worldwide phenomenon making them impossible to find (certainly not preorders early on!). Foxconn has supposedly been churning out 20,000+ of these suckers a day since September. Someone who waits may have trouble locking in a preorder, but if you watch the event and want to leisurely preorder in the first week or whatever, I bet you'll be okay.
Old 01-10-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

On my phone now and can't easily post pics, but a ton of Hori accessories for the Switch have leaked. The Zelda skin does suggest that it's a launch or near-launch title. The fight stick obviously indicates at least one fighting game (Tekken 7 being the most rumored title).

https://mobile.twitter.com/DroidXAce...35085026148352
Old 01-12-17, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uuC4YLLkqME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-12-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

March 3rd release date -- so much for the 3/17 rumors!

$299.99. Oof. I think that's too high. Nothing said about standard vs. deluxe. If there are multiple SKUs, they haven't said anything. No region locking (with an "in general" caveat?)!

2.5 - 6.5 hour battery life. That's a range!
Old 01-12-17, 10:05 PM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts

Online service free through to the Fall... then paid after that.

Oh, no region locking. Cool.
Old 01-12-17, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really like the lack of region locking. I have a several Japanese DS games, and was disappointed they changed that for 3DS.
Old 01-12-17, 10:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So, six months or nine months until it's down to $229?
Old 01-12-17, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Battery life seems like a deal breaker. Not even close to 3DS, iPad or Phones.
Old 01-12-17, 10:20 PM

1, 2, Sucks!

Sounds lame... but will probably be a blast.
Old 01-12-17, 10:24 PM

What did you get when you cross Punch Out with Dhalsim from Street Fighter?

Arms!

Interesting.
Old 01-12-17, 10:25 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

This is the weirdest press conference ever. 1, 2 Switch looks awful. And ARMS looks like it would get old real fast.

Just get to Mario for fucks sakes!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.