Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

View Poll Results: Will you be buying this?
Yep! 67 69.07%
Nope! 30 30.93%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-29-16, 08:52 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Trevor
brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker/?sku=207-29-0180

You can also use the search feature on the Brickseek page to find the DCPI. Just type in NES Classic Edition. You'll get a bunch of hits but they all have the same DCPI number: 207-29-0180.

Print Wikipost

Old 04-17-17, 10:33 AM   #776
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: NES Classic Edition (30 games; 60 bucks; 11/11/2016)

Well, yesterday being Easter, and us having no real plans, my wife and I decided we wanted to do a road trip to a nearby small town. Not a specific one, just a random one. So... I did a quick brickseek search and found that one Walmart in a small town had 3 in stock! We ended up going there... didn't get there until about 10:10am, about an hour after leaving the house, and this location was open 24 hours, so I imagine they were put in the case sometime in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.
Honestly didn't expect them to have it by the time we got there, but hey still had two in the case. We got one, then had an awesome brunch nearby.
Walmart tried to sell us on the $5 replacement plan... that wouldn't be of much use if they're discontinued.

The moral of the story is... if you still desperately want one, and don't mind a bit of a drive, hit up a small town.
Old 04-17-17, 11:32 AM   #777
chrisih8u
DVD Talk Legend

I hope they still make a Super NES one. I thought it was a sure thing but now I have doubts.
Old 04-17-17, 12:02 PM   #778
PerryD
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my local Target showed 2 in stock when I checked brickseek this morning before going into work, but that would have meant standing outside Target for an hour and that no one else is thinking the same thing. If they would have shown 4 or 5+ units, I might have made the stop.
Old 04-17-17, 12:13 PM   #779
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

The one time I check Brickseek and there's one in stock at the Target by my house. If I had checked before it opened I could have stopped on my way in. Oh well. I already have a killer Raspberry Pi setup.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 04-17-17, 12:25 PM   #780
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Draven, did you see my PM this weekend? I sent you where I picked up mine and they had more stock.
Old 04-24-17, 08:54 AM   #781
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

So it is now clear the universe does not want me to have one of these. Best Buy was releasing stock this morning and I was the first person there. The guy comes out and says "sorry man, there was a shipping error and we did not get any. The other store in town (20 mins. away if I'm lucky) has a few but there is already a line."

So I think I'm just going to go the RPi route. I don't even feel bad about it. This is all Nintendo's fault.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 04-24-17, 09:00 AM   #782
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
So it is now clear the universe does not want me to have one of these. Best Buy was releasing stock this morning and I was the first person there. The guy comes out and says "sorry man, there was a shipping error and we did not get any. The other store in town (20 mins. away if I'm lucky) has a few but there is already a line."

So I think I'm just going to go the RPi route. I don't even feel bad about it. This is all Nintendo's fault.
I gave up a while back. My homebrew PSPGo will have to remain my go-to until I build something better.
Old 04-24-17, 01:10 PM   #783
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also got the email yesterday about Best Buy having them in stock this morning and happened to be driving by one about 5 mins before they opened. With about 10 people in line, I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Stood in line a few mins chatting with some of the people in line (with some of them standing there for over 2 hrs) when the store finally opens and the guy comes out saying they handed out the tickets at 7AM since they already had over 20 people standing in line. I felt really bad for the people that stood in line the whole time, the employees should have put signs on the door or came out there earlier or something. The whole thing was handled poorly.

Afterwards I stopped by Target to return something and saw two neon Switches back in the electronics cage. Go figure
Old 04-24-17, 01:18 PM   #784
atxbomber
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

That was code for "we decided to keep these for ourselves to sell on eBay."
Old 04-24-17, 01:41 PM   #785
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattysemo247 View Post
I also got the email yesterday about Best Buy having them in stock this morning and happened to be driving by one about 5 mins before they opened. With about 10 people in line, I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Stood in line a few mins chatting with some of the people in line (with some of them standing there for over 2 hrs) when the store finally opens and the guy comes out saying they handed out the tickets at 7AM since they already had over 20 people standing in line. I felt really bad for the people that stood in line the whole time, the employees should have put signs on the door or came out there earlier or something. The whole thing was handled poorly.

Afterwards I stopped by Target to return something and saw two neon Switches back in the electronics cage. Go figure
I heard later that the line at the two other local stores started before 7am so that made me feel better. I do wonder how many each store got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxbomber View Post
That was code for "we decided to keep these for ourselves to sell on eBay."
Would not surprise me.

Old 04-24-17, 02:10 PM   #786
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The extender cables work really well. I've been using the Wii Classic Controller as the player one controller because the home button works to bring up the main menu. Otherwise, you have to get up and press the reset button. I also have an old Nyko hand grip that goes on the back and took off the bracket where you'd clip on the Wiimote. It's a great controller for this system.
Old 04-27-17, 04:31 PM   #787
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:

It's really annoying. Why would you discontinue manufacturing a product when there is so much obvious demand for it? Keep making it and charge a higher price. Who the fuck is running that company?
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 04-27-17, 05:27 PM   #788
Tom Banjo
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Super annoying! Like many I've been looking for one for I guess 5 months now.
Old 04-27-17, 09:58 PM   #789
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

So a guy on local CL put one up for sale with an extra controller, two extension cables, and a case for $100. Only one problem - it REEKS of smoke. I was shocked he still had it so I picked it up. It's been a few days, and no amount of Ozium, fresh air, sunlight, or A&H is helping. I will keep trying, but I haven't even plugged it in yet.

Old 04-27-17, 10:28 PM   #790
kefrank
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
So a guy on local CL put one up for sale with an extra controller, two extension cables, and a case for $100. Only one problem - it REEKS of smoke. I was shocked he still had it so I picked it up. It's been a few days, and no amount of Ozium, fresh air, sunlight, or A&H is helping. I will keep trying, but I haven't even plugged it in yet.
Smoke residue gets into/onto everything, so if you really want to get rid of the smell, you probably need to open it up, pull out the circuit board and spray it with canned air then rub it down with isopropyl alcohol. Also spray out and clean with alcohol the inside and outside of the disassembled case. Make sure you get into any crevices with qtips or some other small, non-abrasive implement. Then let all the parts air out in fresh air for a day or two before you put it back together. That might do the trick.
Old 04-27-17, 10:33 PM   #791
wtsang

That's sad but at that price these days.. I'd still be happy.
Old 04-28-17, 08:26 AM   #792
mattysemo247
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looking at Brickseek, a bunch of my local Targets have 2 to 3 systems today. Of course by now, I'm sure there are already people in line.
Old 04-28-17, 08:55 AM   #793
Daryl
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
It's really annoying. Why would you discontinue manufacturing a product when there is so much obvious demand for it? Keep making it and charge a higher price. Who the fuck is running that company?
if the (admittedly weakly sourced) rumors are to be believed - they killed production so they can move on to producing the Classic SNES

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/19/153...-mini-nintendo
Old 04-28-17, 09:46 AM   #794
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
if the (admittedly weakly sourced) rumors are to be believed - they killed production so they can move on to producing the Classic SNES

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/19/153...-mini-nintendo
In many ways I really prefer the SNES. I have a real NES with all of the games on the classic (plus many others). I have no SNES or games because they are outrageously priced. To play through Super Metroid again on a big screen...OMG.

Old 04-28-17, 09:51 AM   #795
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
In many ways I really prefer the SNES. I have a real NES with all of the games on the classic (plus many others). I have no SNES or games because they are outrageously priced. To play through Super Metroid again on a big screen...OMG.
If Nintendo decides to produce the SNES in low quantity similar to the NES and attach them with short controller cords, I'll pass again.
Old 04-28-17, 09:53 AM   #796
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I could see Nintendo scowling at the idea that people are excited about something other than the Switch, opting to kill the NES Classic rather than leave mindshare divided. Y'know, "don't be excited about that! Be excited about this other thing instead!" Other possibilities include freeing up manufacturing for something else (the Switch, the SNES Classic, an NES Classic 2.0, or whatever), limiting competition for the Switch's Virtual Console whenever it shows up, not wanting to go whole hog on the NES Classic after it was compromised, or just reveling in the fact that this unsated frenzy could carry over to people buying future Nintendo products at launch.

None of those are worthwhile reasons, of course. At no point has Nintendo's handling of the NES Classic ever shown any glimmer of competence.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 04-28-17, 11:10 AM   #797
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I could see Nintendo scowling at the idea that people are excited about something other than the Switch, opting to kill the NES Classic rather than leave mindshare divided. Y'know, "don't be excited about that! Be excited about this other thing instead!" Other possibilities include freeing up manufacturing for something else (the Switch, the SNES Classic, an NES Classic 2.0, or whatever), limiting competition for the Switch's Virtual Console whenever it shows up, not wanting to go whole hog on the NES Classic after it was compromised, or just reveling in the fact that this unsated frenzy could carry over to people buying future Nintendo products at launch.

None of those are worthwhile reasons, of course. At no point has Nintendo's handling of the NES Classic ever shown any glimmer of competence.
I like Nintendo. I grew up with their products starting with the SNES since my parents wouldn't let me have a gaming system before that. But their business decisions has been saving me money and don't feel the urge to spend on their products with the exception of the New 3DS. Their whole online strategy baffles me too... Why can't they just come up with something similar to what Sony and Microsoft has for their online network? I believe its because of the cost associated with it or utter incompetence.
Old 04-28-17, 12:07 PM   #798
Adam Tyner
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
Their whole online strategy baffles me too... Why can't they just come up with something similar to what Sony and Microsoft has for their online network? I believe its because of the cost associated with it or utter incompetence.
We don't know enough about the Switch's still-as-yet-unrevealed online strategy to say how far behind the eight ball they are. I mean, there's no question that they'll still be lagging behind, but how far remains to be seen. If DeNA is taking the lead on that, it might not be too bad. Even with Sony and Microsoft serving up a blueprint, it took many years to get to that point, and I don't think any competitor (short of something already service-oriented like Google, Apple, or Amazon) would be able to hit the ground running with something on-par with Xbox Live or PSN. That's not an excuse, of course, since Nintendo should've been innovating and experimenting alongside them for generations now. Without achievements/trophies or OS-level chat, those are already two black marks. Plus with such limited third party support and so few Nintendo games even having online features, along with the bargain basement price Nintendo is eyeing, my expectations are definitely very limited.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 04-28-17, 01:07 PM   #799
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Smoke residue gets into/onto everything, so if you really want to get rid of the smell, you probably need to open it up, pull out the circuit board and spray it with canned air then rub it down with isopropyl alcohol. Also spray out and clean with alcohol the inside and outside of the disassembled case. Make sure you get into any crevices with qtips or some other small, non-abrasive implement. Then let all the parts air out in fresh air for a day or two before you put it back together. That might do the trick.
I will try that but I think you may have to pry the case open, it's not just screwed down. I'm a little concerned about doing that.

Old 04-28-17, 01:21 PM   #800
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Hmm... while I certainly like the SNES better than the NES, I still have an SNES, along with around 60 of my favorite cartridges. Whereas I haven't had my NES for decades, so the mini would've been fun to have.

I'd still buy an SNES mini (availability willing - I'm certainly not going out of my way to get one), but it's not a big deal. Although... if the SNES-mini had most of the games I already have, then I'd sell those for a nice little profit, but I doubt it will.