Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Pokemon GO (IOS/Android)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pokemon GO (IOS/Android)

Old 07-08-16, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pokemon GO (IOS/Android)

Thought I would start a thread, seems to be the "it" game. I feel 20 years ago as a kid, this would be the dream game. The server has been down a lot, but it seems kinda fun, very basic. Walk around look for pokemon, and "catch them" by flicking a poke ball.

There seems like a lot of poke stops or whatever they are called and pokemon in the city (downtown) not much in rural areas/suburbs.

People already have super strong pokemon at "gyms" that you can battle for control over. I noticed about 15 people today at work walking around with their phones and giggling about pokemon, and also saw it blow up on facebook and twitter.

What are other thoughts?
Old 07-08-16, 09:53 PM

Re: Pokemon GO (IOS/Android)

I am enjoying it. Gives me extra incentive to go out and walk. Curious what my 10k egg will hatch.
Old 07-08-16, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm having fun. Been playing and walking around a lot, but there's a Poke Stop accessible from my apartment so that's pretty convenient. Ran into a group of other players and chatted for a bit.
Old 07-08-16, 11:54 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not having too much luck with the servers, but I got to play for a half hour or so tonight. It's not bad. I had played Niantic's previous game (Ingress) for a few months a couple of years ago, so this feels a little familiar, but different enough.
Old 07-09-16, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am addicted. I live in a beach neighborhood with a main street, so there are a lot of Pokestops on that street. Bumped into like 15 to 20 people playing tonight. Some gathered around the gym or Pokestops where a Lure was used. Pretty fun and it is cool that there is a community of Pokemon players that seems to be growing in my neighborhood.
Old 07-09-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im cautiously optimistic because when I can play I enjoy it but it freezes and stutters a lot. I hope they get the issues resolved quick because this would be a great game for my daughter and I to play together.
Old 07-09-16, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pokemon Go map, in case you are going out.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...YCa_BD53eIAlpw
Old 07-09-16, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

The servers have been down all day for me. I guess I will wait until things calm down before I try to play again.
Old 07-09-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 544 Likes on 397 Posts

Downloaded it today since my wife has been playing it. We went to the park across the street and in the hour we were walking around there was probably 50 different groups of people playing. Never seen anything like this before.
Old 07-09-16, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts

Never got into Pokemon. I can imagine walking around my neighborhood. I'd have as good a chance to get my phone stolen as I would find some Pokemon.
Old 07-10-16, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Yeah, I'll never play this game, but there's a park right near my house, which is usually empty, and it was flooded by kids with their phones out the other day. It was weird.
Old 07-10-16, 08:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This game is nuts. EVERYONE is playing it.

My wife, 42, says it is the the game that she always wanted in life. Exercise, social interaction, fun and GOTTA CATCH THEM ALL!

All four of us, including a 16YO & 17YO kids, have gone out together three times now and it's been a blast together. Strangers wander up ,sullen teens, everyone, asking if we're hunting pokemon. My wife and I have been out several times by ourselves. My wife has been out several times with friends.

It's NUTS.
Old 07-10-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Yeah this game is everywhere now, and I have caught a few myself. Now when is someone going to get arrested for trespassing?
Old 07-10-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

This game is annoying as fuck.
Old 07-10-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reminds me of that episode with the addictive game on "Star Trek: TNG". "Play the game, Wesley!" Whatever toots one's horn, I guess, as long as it doesn't invade my personal space. I reserve the option to not play this game. I have a feeling I'm better off for it.

Last edited by Super X; 07-10-16 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-10-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Super X, for some reason the last two sentences of your post remind me of Ebert's reviews. At least in the way that he sometimes concludes them with a general statement about people, or himself.
Old 07-10-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 544 Likes on 397 Posts

Hit level 5 today and we went across the street to a restaurant for breakfast there are two gyms there so I gave one a shot. Everyone of it's Pokemon were CP 400 or better and it took all my pokemon just to take down the first one. I'll have to wait till I level up a ton more to attempt these.

What I've caught so far:

Growlithe, Rhyhorn, Rattata, Venonat, Arbok, Krabby, Sandshrew, Ekans, Paras, Geodude, Meowth, Zubat, Omanyte, Pidgey, Ponyta and then Charmander.
Old 07-10-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had to delete the game and download it again for it to work. I started this morning and I'm already at level five. My wife, who hates all things Pokémon, is now addicted to it as well. Even our six year old, who has never played any type of Pokémon game, is having fun playing it.
Old 07-10-16, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yeah this game is everywhere now, and I have caught a few myself. Now when is someone going to get arrested for trespassing?
On Friday, I had a cop drive by slowly five times, as I walked the neighborhood, and stopped at a gym that was not working. Probably thought I was casing the area.
Old 07-10-16, 10:00 PM

Not going to lie, having lots of fun. Went to the Reagan Library today and there were a ton of people playing. The Library also tweeted out how many pokestops they have and put up a picture, haha.
Old 07-10-16, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:

Ayy my boy Oddish just came over! It's about to be lit ������ #PokemonG

Yeah I'm gonna need to send this drink back...

These pics and captions came from Twitter.
Old 07-10-16, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So much fun. It's the simplest thing ever - but man, this game has taken over. There's a pokestop outside out house at our Little Free Library, and a group of 16 year olds were walking up this AM, I bust out the door and tell them "This pokestop is only for Blue." They all stopped in shock, then busted up laughing and we chatted for 10 minutes sharing where we found different pokemon in the neighborhood, etc. It's so great - there is no chance in hell these kids would've said a peep to us otherwise because Fuck you old man, you don't know shit.

It's so great to see so many groups of people wandering around the neighborhood, actually fucking exploring it, with smiles on their faces.
Old 07-10-16, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pokémon are the heroes this country needs, not the heroes it deserves.
Old 07-10-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

This game is crazy fun. I actually left the house and explored the outside today!

Am at Level 4 getting close to 5.

For those that don't know, there's a way to get Pikachu as your starter.

Spoiler:
You have to keep ignoring the regular starters and they'll disappear and reappear (I think it took 4 times?) That's when Pikachu will show up and you'll have him as your starter
Old 07-10-16, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

Armed robbers used Pokemon Go to find 9 victims.
The new augmented reality game Pokemon Go has gotten people off the couch and into the real world. But police in O’Fallon, Missouri say that four men have used the game to find players at a specific location, and robbed them using a handgun.

About eight or nine people have been robbed by four men over the past couple of days, a spokesperson from the O’Fallon Police Department told Gizmodo over the phone. The latest robbery occurred Sunday morning at around 2am by the men in a black BMW before they were finally apprehended by police.

The suspects used the Pokemon Go game to find their victims by anticipating where people might go through popular PokeStops—virtual sites in the game that can be designated at any real world location, from businesses to parking lots to churches.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.