Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bioshock Collection (PS4, XB1, PC) - 9/13/16

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Bioshock Collection (PS4, XB1, PC) - 9/13/16

Played the first Bioshock on the 360 and absolutely loved it and the art direction and design was stunning...simply at that time one of the best looking games on the 360. The second one I didn't finish and never got Infinite. If they can squeeze another 25% on an already stunning game and series for the XO and PS4, might be a worth taking another ride down below.
Old 06-30-16, 09:09 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying more remasters than actual new games.
Old 06-30-16, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I played them all on Xbox. I don't think I will rebuy them on the Xbox, but I will glady take the free PC upgrades since I own Bioshock 1, 2, and Minerva's Den on PC.
Old 07-01-16, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
On the flip side, I thought the gameplay was just fine and didn't understand that complaint at all
The actual shooting/vigors gameplay was straight up dull and boring. I liked the environments and story, but would get irritated every time I had to fight a bunch of enemies because that shit actually slowed down the game.

Originally Posted by Decker
Absolutely. It's a self-contained story and only thematically related to the other two games.
Uh, no. If you played the Infinite DLC, you'd see how they are absolutely linked story-wise. (Bioshock 2 can be played separate)
Old 07-01-16, 07:58 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One major part in Infinite is 10 times more powerful if you have played Bio 1...so I would always say play one first (and why not, it is amazing)
Old 07-01-16, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

On the flip side, I thought the gameplay was just fine and didn't understand that complaint at all
It wasn't just the gameplay, it was the overall design. If I'm not mistaken it came out the same Fall as Tomb Raider. I played them back to back with TR first. I went from a living and breathing world with lush environments I could interact with to a plastic looking world with bitmapped textures for 'detail.' Lara would interact with the environment by touching walls, actually opening doors, etc. Infinite relied on magical opening doors that open with your forehead? Gun?

Then you have the vigors that were just poorly rehashed plasmids. Guns that felt dated.

That said it wasn't a terrible game, thanks to the narrative, it just fell short of what came before. I still maintain that Infinite could have been GOTY material in 2008, but for 2013 it was just a solid release.

Originally Posted by The Questyen
. Bioshock 2 is criminally underrated so hopefully this collection will get more people to give it a shot.
Infinite had much higher aspirations but B2 was far more fun.
Old 07-01-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I think that was the bigger issue, while I didn't like the gun mechanics much in Infinite, it was more the overall engine used was just dated. Long load times between what should have been a massively open world (and I don't really like open world, but that was the design they were going for).
Old 07-01-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm pretty sure I still picked Infinite for my GOTY over both Tomb Raider and The Last of Us here on the poll we had. I just didn't have the issues you guys did, nor any issues with the graphics or realism given the stylized look of Infinite and as was mentioned, a much better story then Tomb Raider. I enjoyed it more then the first Bioshock too.
Old 07-01-16, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The issue with Infinite is that despite Levine's fantastic direction & story the games engine(s) were several years behind the times. Mechanically it felt like a shooter from 2009 and not 2013.

As for playing them out of order I'd vote no.
Old 07-01-16, 10:58 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm pretty sure I still picked Infinite for my GOTY over both Tomb Raider and The Last of Us here on the poll we had. I just didn't have the issues you guys did, nor any issues with the graphics or realism given the stylized look of Infinite and as was mentioned, a much better story then Tomb Raider. I enjoyed it more then the first Bioshock too.
I'm with you. It's like everybody else played an entirely different game.
Old 07-01-16, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback. The reason I asked is because I have Infinity from GwG, while I may or may not have #1 on disc. Maybe I'll hold off for now.
Old 07-01-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Let's put it this way, I think if Infinite didn't have the story or Bioshock in the title, the game would have been forgotten a few weeks after release.
Old 07-01-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Let's put it this way, I think if Infinite didn't have the story or Bioshock in the title, the game would have been forgotten a few weeks after release.
A lot of games rely on the story though, it's part of the charm and benefit of being a sequel. I feel like you could apply that to a lot of story heavy games with that kind of statement too (looking at you, The Last of Us).

The mechanics thing is a strange complaint to me, as though people were expecting major changes to a shooter during the same console generation. It's just a really abstract and nebulous term for a first person shooter, where the actual mechanics haven't been significantly different for a decade. I can see the issue being more people wanting something different from what they got from the original Bioshock, but that's not really an issue of being "dated." Not when you have series like Uncharted or Gears of War that were generally the same gameplay across multiple sequels in the generation and yet were still my favorite games. Hell, Uncharted 4 has been my favorite game this current generation but I can't say it does anything significantly better "mechnically" then the previous games, unless people really think sliding and swinging are huge gameplay changers.

Ah well, different strokes I guess
Old 07-01-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I mention the mechanics, I mean the satisfaction derived or fun derived from firing the games weapons at enemies. I understand that sounds odd, but in some games there's a satisfaction associated with shooting enemies, others it seems like you're hitting paper targets with a peashooter. Shooting stuff in Infinity just felt like a waste of time. Additionally, the standard "clear the room" gameplay didn't really fit the world they were trying to sell this time.

I really dug the world it occurred in, but it also felt limited by the fact it was an FPS, and by an aging engine that could only render the world in limited chunks.

By no means a bad game, it was one of my favorites of the year, I was just hoping for a little better. Some of it might actually be fixed in this updated collection, kind of curious to play it (and I never did play BioShock 2).

Last edited by RichC2; 07-01-16 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
When I mention the mechanics, I mean the satisfaction derived or fun derived from firing the games weapons at enemies. I understand that sounds odd, but in some games there's a satisfaction associated with shooting enemies, others it seems like you're hitting paper targets with a peashooter. Shooting stuff in Infinity just felt like a waste of time. Additionally, the standard "clear the room" gameplay didn't really fit the world they were trying to sell this time.
Yup, that was exactly my issue. There was far more "satisfaction" in the combat of Bioshock 1&2 when compared to Infinite. Same issue I have with Overwatch.
Old 07-01-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, like I said... different strokes. It's funny, since looking back at the original Infinite thread it looks like the same few folks that had complaints then as now, which if someone were to only read this thread they would think Infinite was mediocre rather then the critically acclaimed game it actually was

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...rience-12.html
Old 07-01-16, 03:05 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For what it is worth, I think Infinite is the best of the three games..does not feel dated...when played on 1999 mode is about perfect when it comes to difficulty and balance... the story held together much better than 1...the art design and atmosphere completely won me over..and it still has maybe the best sound/music design in any game ever..

Short 5 minute video early on in Infinite when you meet up with Elizabeth. The sound/music in this sequence turns a normal video game moment into something special..at 3:52 I still get chills during this part..especially with a headset or good surround sound system..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1kr-E-mIlU
Old 08-18-16, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

<iframe width="620" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YasVqns7AVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-18-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They should have put together some sort of kick ass collectors edition for $100. Steelbook, artbook, soundtracks, statue, etc.
Old 08-18-16, 08:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Anyone have an opinion on the footage? Looks good. Have the 360 versions of all, but never played 1 and only a bit of 2. Don't know why I stopped actually. I do remember it being a little hard. But, loved and finished Infinte. So no brainer to get this for One?
Old 08-18-16, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I'm getting this despite having already beat 1 and 2 and about half of Infinite, which I thought was inferior to the first two games.
Old 08-18-16, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looks damn good to me.

I think it's been long enough that I could replay at least the first game again. Also a prettier Columbia would quell one of the issues I had with Infinite the first time out.

Yeah, like I said... different strokes. It's funny, since looking back at the original Infinite thread it looks like the same few folks that had complaints then as now, which if someone were to only read this thread they would think Infinite was mediocre rather then the critically acclaimed game it actually was

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-...rience-12.html
Fun rereading some of that thread. There are a handful of us that posted some well thought out, substantial and valid criticisms(I won't revisit them all here) that quite frankly were never fully rebuked. It all just comes down to the story for most, which is what I mentioned in my very first post. Without the story or the Bioshock name, the game falls apart under the slightest bit of scrutiny. If you're 'all-in' on the story it's much easier to overlook many of the criticisms. If you're not sold on the story then everything else just snowballs.

I haven't revisited the game, but I doubt my opinion would change much. I dumped my 360 copy after finishing it. Maybe I'll revist the remastered version one rainy day.
Old 08-29-16, 07:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Is everyone still excited for this? I kinda am. I think my problem with playing and stopping B2 was that I didn't play 1. I just jumped into it and it's a hard game to master. I shoulda got to know it with 1. But, I did do well with Infinite so who knows. This will be something to look forward to. Hope it holds up and looks spectacular...
Old 08-29-16, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I'll gladly go through it again.
Old 08-29-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My only complaint with BioShock was how often I wound up playing Pipe Dream. That aside, I look forward to playing something this atmospheric again and finally playing #2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.