Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Long list of dire Nintendo news for 2016 (spoiler: no NX or Zelda until next year)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Long list of dire Nintendo news for 2016 (spoiler: no NX or Zelda until next year)

Old 04-28-16, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Long list of dire Nintendo news for 2016 (spoiler: no NX or Zelda until next year

Personally I think Nintendo's biggest problem to overcome is third party support. With the cost of Hardware getting more and more expensive eventually it will get to the point that people stop buying Nintendo consoles just for Nintendo games.
Old 04-28-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Long list of dire Nintendo news for 2016 (spoiler: no NX or Zelda until next year

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Where they went wrong was not getting an HD system into development shortly after launch and the system they bring to the table is barely comparable to then 7 year old consoles (360 & PS3) when next gen was right around the corner. The WiiU was outdated 12 months after launch.

The boasting about NX being more powerful than PS4 makes me laugh as well. By the time NX launches the PS4 will be 3.5 years old... the NX should be more powerful.
I agree that the power gap was one of the reasons the WiiU was a complete dud (and Nintendo's approach to online anything was laughingly bad compared to Sony and Microsoft). I personally don't care that much about raw power though. We have Sony and Microsoft for that. I want Nintendo to focus on making unique, fun gaming experiences. Variety is good for gamers.
Old 04-28-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Yeah, I get that. But it also changed how most gamers feel about Nintendo. Anything they do from here on out is going to be met with skepticism. It also doesn't help that they seem to be stuck in the past with functionality and technology. So their success with one product line might have them going the way of Sega sooner rather than later. They can't ride on the success of the Wii forever.
I dunno man, the Gamecube's start up music pretty much did that in one fell swoop. Not to mention the design. Hell, even the 64 got a ton of flack for being cartridge based in a highly transitional period - but at least it got a lot of 3rd party support.
Old 04-28-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

I do hope they come out with something good, I don't care about their hardware though, just their titles.
Old 04-28-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm actually not even halfway done with that last Yoshi game, but I keep forgetting about it just because I keep forgetting about Nintendo, because of the way they neglect their own console.
Old 04-28-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I personally don't care that much about raw power though.
That's a double edged sword though. Sure 'Nintendo' games don't need the beefiest system, but third parties do. Two generations of gimped third party games has ruined any chance of them becoming someone's main console. As long as they lag behind in power (and online) they will continue to limp along.
Old 04-28-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Especially since Nintendo were the ones who were bragging about "Now you're playing with power."
Old 04-28-16, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I hope the NX has Blast Processing. Finally, a Nintendo system with BP!
Old 04-29-16, 08:37 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Releasing a console in March 2017, but nothing at E3 baffles me.
Old 04-29-16, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It gives them time to revise specs and keep things away from the eyes of the enemy.
Old 04-29-16, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If the rumors are true about them moving to x86 as well, it should help considerably with 3rd party support I would imagine.
Old 04-29-16, 10:05 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to point out my less than 1/5th of the wii sales prediction about the Wii U before the Wii U came out seems to be on the money..in fact I was being generous.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11467738-post34.html

I should change my name to nostradvd...
Old 04-29-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by foxdvd
I would like to point out my less than 1/5th of the wii sales prediction about the Wii U before the Wii U came out seems to be on the money..in fact I was being generous.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11467738-post34.html

I should change my name to nostradvd...
commonsensedvd works too

Old 04-29-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

God I fucking love that movie
Old 04-29-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

NX = Nintendo Xbox
Old 04-30-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
If the rumors are true about them moving to x86 as well, it should help considerably with 3rd party support I would imagine.
Maybe. It can help, but ultimately the support will depend on how the games sell. The PS2 was supposedly the hardest console of its generation for which to develop, and it received more support than any of the others.
Old 04-30-16, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Personally I think Nintendo's biggest problem to overcome is third party support. With the cost of Hardware getting more and more expensive eventually it will get to the point that people stop buying Nintendo consoles just for Nintendo games.
Nintendo seems to have a bunch of problems. The lack of third party support is a definite big issue along with hardware that's dated shortly after release. Also even though I don't use it much personally the lack of good online gameplay and support for games (patches, DLC, etc.) Is unacceptable really. They also seem to focus way too hard on gimmicks like the Wiimote, the Wii U's Gamepad, etc. Just release a more back to basics functional controller and fuck the stupid gimmicky bullshit. That's probably the one thing I'm most tired of with them recently. I love the company and their games but they make it hard to want to support them at times. I'd love for the NX to be awesome but I'm skeptical at this point.
Old 04-30-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike86
the lack of good support for games (patches, DLC, etc.) Is unacceptable really.
What Wii U games do you think are poorly supported or have significant unpatched issues?
Old 04-30-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
Maybe. It can help, but ultimately the support will depend on how the games sell. The PS2 was supposedly the hardest console of its generation for which to develop, and it received more support than any of the others.
Kind of a different situation since the PS2 was the clear leader going in to the generation after the success of the Playstation so it was natural for everyone to be onboard. The Wii U being the odd man out with PowerPC while also being less powerful left it in a shitty state. The PS4 and XB1 both being x86 just makes me think it will be easier to port over to the NX, even if sales aren't close to the other consoles.
Old 04-30-16, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
What Wii U games do you think are poorly supported or have significant unpatched issues?
I guess I'm not overly familiar as I don't own a Wii U but I've heard that complaint from some people. I probably shouldn't have said that as I don't know for certain but I know in general that Nintendo's online presence as far as their consoles are lacking.
Old 04-30-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Kind of a different situation since the PS2 was the clear leader going in to the generation after the success of the Playstation so it was natural for everyone to be onboard. The Wii U being the odd man out with PowerPC while also being less powerful left it in a shitty state. The PS4 and XB1 both being x86 just makes me think it will be easier to port over to the NX, even if sales aren't close to the other consoles.
The PS2 also had a year headstart.

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Nintendo actually did better than I expected giving substantial post release content for Pikmin, Mario Kart and Mario Maker. Did third parties offer much DLC on the WiiU?
Old 05-01-16, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Nintendo actually did better than I expected giving substantial post release content for Pikmin, Mario Kart and Mario Maker.
Splatoon and (especially) Smash Bros. as well.

Did third parties offer much DLC on the WiiU?
The third parties that usually did DLC fled really quickly, which is why I didn't get Injustice for the Wii U when it first came out. I think Call of Duty: Black Ops II did get DLC but literally something like 2 years after some of it was out for the other systems.

It's hard to say the state of things now because the types of third party games still being released for the Wii U aren't really the sort to have DLC (Lego, Skylanders, etc.).
Old 05-01-16, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86
Nintendo seems to have a bunch of problems. The lack of third party support is a definite big issue along with hardware that's dated shortly after release. Also even though I don't use it much personally the lack of good online gameplay and support for games (patches, DLC, etc.) Is unacceptable really. They also seem to focus way too hard on gimmicks like the Wiimote, the Wii U's Gamepad, etc. Just release a more back to basics functional controller and fuck the stupid gimmicky bullshit. That's probably the one thing I'm most tired of with them recently. I love the company and their games but they make it hard to want to support them at times. I'd love for the NX to be awesome but I'm skeptical at this point.
You are in my head man, this is how I exactly feel. I totally stayed away from Wii for this reason. And I had hopes for the WiiU but was so preoccupied with the 360 and then the XBOne that it has not not mattered to me to even bother, especially now with news of Zelda getting pushed back and coming out with the new system almost certainly. It would be the perfect launch title for sure. While it has to/will be stronger, if it can at least get to the power of the PS4 and XBOne I would be set. Finally if they keep up the online shop with capability of getting at least WiiU games it would be game/set/match.Just pack it with a damn REGULAR controller please. This old fart grew up with them, and I only use my Kinect for workout games and not actual gaming.