Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Overwatch from Blizzard (May for PC, Xbox One & PS4)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Overwatch from Blizzard (May for PC, Xbox One & PS4)

Old 06-03-16, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Overwatch from Blizzard (May for PC, Xbox One & PS4)

Well....you can say Blizzard doesn't take cheating lightly.....

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ove.../1100-6440439/

Overwatch: Blizzard doesn't mess around when it comes to cheating

Overwatch released last week, and already Blizzard has banned a surprisingly large number of players. More than 1500 in China have been kicked out permanently, and players have posted on popular hacking forums that they can't trick Blizzard's cheat detection

The 1572 banned players in China were called out by username on Blizzard's forums, and PC Gamer has posted screenshots of Western websites full of forum posts that detail cheaters' failed attempts at playing the game with hacks. One player claimed they were banned, and after re-buying the game and playing fairly for a couple days, they were banned again--the software they had used previously was likely detected on their PC.

After going through a process of changing their MAC address, processor ID data, and other information, they tried again; however, they were banned once again without using any methods of cheating or hacking. The player notes that Blizzard "might have file(registry)marked" his computer, which means they'll likely have to reinstall the OS to get around it.
Old 06-03-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts

Old 06-03-16, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

If anything gets me to buy the game, it'll be Blizzard taking a hard line on cheaters.
Well, that, and if they added on a single-player campaign.
Old 06-03-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Kudos to Blizzard. I've never been a PC gamer can't and hate playing games with keyboard and mouse. I really hope Blizzard decide to continue making games for consoles because if they're half as good as Overwatch it would still be better than 75% of console games .
Old 06-03-16, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have picked this up immediately if, like the PC, it was $40. This makes me think that they have no faith in it's longevity on console and are going for the quick money. I'll wait for the price drop and see if the PS4 community has any legs. This makes me sad because I enjoyed the beta.
Old 06-03-16, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Originally Posted by stanstelling
I would have picked this up immediately if, like the PC, it was $40. This makes me think that they have no faith in it's longevity on console and are going for the quick money. I'll wait for the price drop and see if the PS4 community has any legs. This makes me sad because I enjoyed the beta.
Well it was essentially $38 + tax for GCU members who preordered it and came with digital extras lacking in the $40 PC version as well as a collectable embossed license plate.
Old 06-04-16, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stanstelling
I guess I'm Mr. Disagree tonight. In my opinion I don't believe Blizzard has a lack of faith in its console longevity. I believe Blizzard is behind this 100%. As far as the different price points goes, it's all about the console market and strategy. Look at it this way now a days a game like Tomb Raider and Doom for example, are considered A+ titles you get about 30-50 hours of great campaigns and have less than stellar multi-player modes and people fork over $60 no problem. You probably play through it once and that's it.

I'm at already close to 150 hours on Overwatch. If anything you should feel sad that you really enjoyed the beta but decided to let a $20 difference sway your decision.

On top of that now a days gamers fork over $60 plus an extra $30 for season passes when Blizzard has included it at no additional charge.

I understand wanting to wait for a deal but I think your putting way too much thought into it.
Old 06-04-16, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts

Just wish they take the same hardline with Diablo players using modded crap....they have ruined that game and one of the reasons why I don't play much more and with strangers.....

Almost regret not getting this now. I was afraid it would be "flash-in-the-pan" with MP only and have a bit Star Wars Battlefront scenario with great looks and not enough substance. Might still happen in a few months from now but so far looks like a winner. I just hope they expand it with more modes and shame there is not some Team vs AI....like there is in Paragon.
Old 06-05-16, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Just wish they take the same hardline with Diablo players using modded crap....they have ruined that game and one of the reasons why I don't play much more and with strangers.....

Almost regret not getting this now. I was afraid it would be "flash-in-the-pan" with MP only and have a bit Star Wars Battlefront scenario with great looks and not enough substance. Might still happen in a few months from now but so far looks like a winner. I just hope they expand it with more modes and shame there is not some Team vs AI....like there is in Paragon.
Actually D3 had a massive ban wave a few months back. A lot of players on top of the leader boards were kicked for botting.
Old 06-05-16, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great game (playing on PS4)! It wasn't on my radar at all even though I love Blizzard games. I was just burned out from multiplayer FPS games (Destiny, Battlefront). My buddy picked it up and kept raving about how good it was. I finally caved and bought it yesterday and have been playing it ever since. Fumanstan good sir, tell your company they have a hit on their hands.

And I agree with Larry too, Blizzard will be behind this game 100% on the consoles (PCs too obviously). Their support behind console Diablo has been wonderful. No reason to think it won't be behind OW as well.
Old 06-13-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Finished Ucharted 4 last night and my pick up overwatch today. It seems to get good reviews from those who play it even though there isn't much discussion around it.

I was actually surprised that it only has 167 reviews on Amazon (PS4). Seems low for a AAA title from a big name.
Old 06-14-16, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
Finished Ucharted 4 last night and my pick up overwatch today. It seems to get good reviews from those who play it even though there isn't much discussion around it.

I was actually surprised that it only has 167 reviews on Amazon (PS4). Seems low for a AAA title from a big name.
It's amazing. I was never big on competitive fps and I can't get enough.
Old 06-14-16, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
That's great to hear as I feel the same way about competitive FPS. I bought it when it came out but went on vacation for a few weeks literally the next day so I've only barely played around in tutorial section. So that gives me hope I'll like this.
Old 06-14-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Good to hear. I downloaded it but couldn't play yesterday because after I started the game, I could only do the tutorial while the "game installing" sign appeared on the title screen. That took all night for some reason...moving about 0.01% every few minutes after the first 60% went quickly. Not sure what was going on but either way I'm all set for tonight.
Old 06-14-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm finishing all these games that have been coming out the last few months, and there's really nothing coming out next few months, so I may get Overwatch to hold me over until then. I'm not looking for something deeper than popping it in for a quick 10 to 15 minute session of action/shooting.
Old 06-14-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That was part of the appeal for me too. After the story driven Witcher/Dark Souls/Uncharted its nice to have a game that you just play for a bit and don't worry about forgetting something or losing your place if you don't come back for a week.
Old 06-14-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm finishing all these games that have been coming out the last few months, and there's really nothing coming out next few months, so I may get Overwatch to hold me over until then. I'm not looking for something deeper than popping it in for a quick 10 to 15 minute session of action/shooting.
Then this game is perfect for that and why I like it so much. Also, unlike other competitive FPS games (CoD, Battlefield, Battlefront), levels don't mean shit in this game. There are no powerful abilities or weapons that only unlock when you reach X level or gain XP. Every hero starts the game with their complete arsenal of abilities/weapons. It doesn't matter if you are level 1 and are going against level 75 players. The playing field is completely level except for player skill.

Now don't let the term player skill scare you away. I'm far from being a competitive player however I hold my own very well in this game. I think Blizzard designed it this way. Every hero has a counter hero (or three) and there is very little cheesing in this game. By cheese I mean getting one shotted from across the map by a guy firing a hand pistol.

Also, this game is good at inflating your ego because if you damage another player and that player then dies even if you didn't deliver the final shot, you still get credit for a kill. Those are called eliminations and the final shot is called the final blow (or killing blow). So, when I look at my stats (avg 10 eliminations, 5 deaths per game), I keep telling myself I'm rocking a 2 to 1 k/d .
Old 06-14-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Over 10 million players now
Old 06-14-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

the weekly brawl was a mode where you would get assigned a random character each time you died. it was pretty fun since it made me play character i rarely have played at (because i'm terrible as them)
Old 06-14-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
the weekly brawl was a mode where you would get assigned a random character each time you died. it was pretty fun since it made me play character i rarely have played at (because i'm terrible as them)
Yeah, I liked playing that since I didn't feel as bad when I sucked with another character.

The brawl just changed over though, it's all Soldier 76 with half the health and long cooldowns.
Old 06-14-16, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

that sounds hilarious. also sounds like lots of dying for me
Old 06-14-16, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess the servers are down? I was having my best game by far and with about 11 seconds left in the match I got kicked to the menu. Can't connect to the battle.net now.

I guess it won't save my stats from that game? Would have helped my kill/hit%/death ratios a lot, haha.
Old 06-14-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was playing a little bit ago and it was fine. Although I did stop for dinner.
Old 06-14-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
I guess the servers are down? I was having my best game by far and with about 11 seconds left in the match I got kicked to the menu. Can't connect to the battle.net now.

I guess it won't save my stats from that game? Would have helped my kill/hit%/death ratios a lot, haha.
No it won't count.

I've been playing as Winston a lot lately and have been getting good at being able to clear out objectives for my teammates. Also there's nothing that reliefs stress better than going on a Primal Rage and tossing enemies away!!!
Old 06-16-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I played a bit last night (just a tutorial and a few online matches to get myself acclimated), and I'm not sure if I cared for it...

Now, maybe I've been playing too much Doom, but my issue with Overwatch was that it was too slow - I mean my movement, even when sprinting, it felt really sluggish to me. Worse than that, feedback on the shooting feels nonexistent, almost like I'm using a pea-shooter. And when I kill someone, I don't really "feel" it, they just sorta evaporate. There's little real compelling sense of action.

I don't know - I'll play some more, but as it is, it just feels, I don't know, I guess "weak" is the best word, weak, slow and sluggish. Not this crazy, wacky, fun game I was promised.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.