Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Overwatch from Blizzard (May for PC, Xbox One & PS4)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Overwatch from Blizzard (May for PC, Xbox One & PS4)

Old 05-23-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Overwatch from Blizzard (May for PC, Xbox One & PS4)

I think I might get this. Only $40 on PC. Mouse and keyboard shooters are not my thing, but I'm super curious about this one for some reason and never got in on the beta.
Old 05-23-16, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Blizzard aside, I do not understand the hype for this game. Seems like your rote multiplayer FPS. Yawn.
For me, no Season Pass was a big selling point. I'm not a big multiplayer-only fan in general, but I really hate when they hide half the content behind a secondary paywall (cough, Battlefront, cough).
Old 05-23-16, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my copy in the mail from BB. I'll be trying it later tonight.
Old 05-23-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Game went live a little after 4 PM today. A few minor issues, but it's been pretty solid and stable on the PC side I had one time where I got kicked out to a login screen, but otherwise not bad for a big launch... so far.

And yeah, the only payment for users is for loot boxes, which is all cosmetic.
Old 05-23-16, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Aaaaand this game is fun as hell. I'm terrible, for sure, but I'm enjoying myself much more than I thought I would.
Old 05-23-16, 10:58 PM

My package arrived from BestBuy.com. The game case rattles with loose plastic bits -- might have been dropped or something. Will exchange it unopened in store tomorrow. The game came with that "Metal Plate" which is actually pretty cool -- it's like a license plate, embossed with Overwatch logo and all the characters together. Not sure what I'll do with it (and would have preferred a Steelbook), but it's a pretty substantial freebie in its own right.
Old 05-24-16, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dumb question Decker, but why don't you just do in store pickup instead of having it shipped? Didn't you get something else damaged from them recently as well?
Old 05-24-16, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Dumb question Decker, but why don't you just do in store pickup instead of having it shipped? Didn't you get something else damaged from them recently as well?
Not a dumb question at all. With Deadpool, they weren't offering in-store pick up when I preordered it. With this one, I don't recall if it was an option or not.
Usually with games I'm only Mezzo-Mezzo on, I do preorder with in-store pick up and if the reviews aren't good, I'll just cancel the preorder or not pick up the game.
In any case, the swap-out was easy and no harm done. I was much more concerned about the Deadpool Steelbook since those were harder to come by, but that was taken care of as well.
Old 05-24-16, 04:38 PM

Overwatch: 21 Tips to Make You a Better Hero

Scott Mercer's Avatar Posted by Scott Mercer on May 24, 2016 // Principal Designer, Blizzard

Hi, PlayStation gamers! This is Scott Mercer, the principal designer for Overwatch at Blizzard Entertainment. We’re very excited for you to jump and play the game today. If you’re not familiar with Overwatch, it’s a team-based shooter that pits two teams of six larger-than-life heroes against each other on objective-based maps that span the globe. To help you become a better hero, here is one special tip for each of our 21 unique characters. We can’t wait for you to get on the battlefield.

Bastion

Don’t stay deployed in Sentry Configuration in one location for too long, or your enemy will adapt and gain the upper hand.

D.Va

If you use Self-Destruct after activating Boosters, D.Va ejects—but her mech continues moving forward before detonating.

Genji

Genji’s Deflect ability isn’t just for defense. Aim at enemies when using it to hit them with their own attacks.

Hanzo

Scatter Arrow can be devastating when aimed at the ground in front of your target.

Junkrat

Detonate a Concussion Mine at your feet to launch yourself into the air and reach higher areas. Don’t worry—you won’t take any damage from your own Mine.

Lúcio

Soundwave, the alternate fire mode of Lúcio’s Sonic Amplifier, is useful for keeping enemies away, but it can also be used to push enemies off of cliffs.

McCree

After stunning an enemy with your Flashbang, it’s much easier to hit them with the Peacekeeper’s alternate fire.

Mei

Placing an Ice Wall under you or your teammates will raise them up on top of the wall, giving them access to higher areas.

Mercy

Guardian Angel can save you, too—use it on a distant teammate to take yourself out of immediate danger from enemies.

Pharah

Concussive Blast can push enemies away and even knock them off cliffs, but you can also use it to push yourself away.

Reaper

While you pass through enemies when you’re in Wraith Form, you can still gather Health Packs and Soul Globes while using it.

Reinhardt

You can adjust the direction of your Charge as you rocket forward, making it so you can reach a target even if there’s not a straight path.

Roadhog

Chain Hook can interrupt many enemy abilities — including some ultimates.

Soldier: 76

Use Tactical Visor when your enemies are unaware of your location. They’ll have less time to seek cover or use defensive abilities.

Symmetra

The projectile from the Photon Projector’s alternate fire pierces through enemies as well as barriers such as Reinhardt’s Barrier Field, allowing it to hit multiple targets.

Torbjörn

Turrets must rotate to face their target before firing, so always try to build your turrets in the direction you’re expecting enemies to come from.

Tracer

If you Recall immediately after taking damage, you will regain your lost health.

Widowmaker

Venom Mines placed along the likely path of an attacker can warn you of an approaching threat.

Winston

Winston leaps in the direction of his targeting reticle when activating his Jump Pack. By looking up, he can jump nearly straight up and land where he took off.

Zarya

Graviton Surge can pull enemies away from a map objective, giving your team a chance to take the objective uncontested.

Zenyatta

Transcendence is a great counter to many enemy area-of-effect abilities, such as Zarya’s Graviton Surge.

Old 05-24-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So far so good...

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/overwatch?ref=hp

Destructoid - 10

https://www.destructoid.com/review-o...h-362250.phtml

Game Informer - 10

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ov...evolution.aspx

The Escapist - 5/5

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...iew-Blizzard.2

I'm sure it will drop with more people that don't care for the lack of single player and dock a few points, but i'm happy the reaction has been good so far.
Old 05-24-16, 06:38 PM

What do they mean when they state that Competitive Play will be added later? What is competitive play as opposed to what is in the game now? Is that like Deathmatch?
Old 05-24-16, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Decker
What do they mean when they state that Competitive Play will be added later? What is competitive play as opposed to what is in the game now? Is that like Deathmatch?
It's basically a ranked mode for the more hardcore and competitive players rather then the existing quick play, which is basically a pick up game.

It was briefly in the beta, but it was pulled for more refinement to the ranking system.
Old 05-25-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,172 Likes on 902 Posts

"His only enemy is an uneven surface"

Old 06-01-16, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

T-Pain streaming Overwatch is pretty entertaining

https://www.twitch.tv/tpain
Old 06-02-16, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Over 7 million unique players announced (rather then sold, because of different business models and the fact that multiple accounts can play the same disc), so while it's not direct sales numbers (which I don't think Activision is doing anymore anyway) it's still a huge success. Safe to say predictions of the game tanking aren't likely, barring a huge player drop off

Last edited by fumanstan; 06-02-16 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like Overwatch will win the battle against Battleborn. Still think both games will be dead in about 2 months. No AAA releases certainly helps.
Old 06-02-16, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Over 7 million unique players announced (rather then sold, because of different business models and the fact that multiple accounts can play the same disc), so while it's not direct sales numbers (which I don't think Activision is doing anymore anyway) it's still a huge success. Safe to say predictions of the game tanking aren't likely, barring a huge player drop off
You and my friend John H posted the same thing on this forum and on Facebook at the same time!
Old 06-03-16, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
Looks like Overwatch will win the battle against Battleborn. Still think both games will be dead in about 2 months. No AAA releases certainly helps.
I'm willing to wager anything that you're dead wrong about Overwatch being dead in 2 months. No way in hell. I respectfully disagree.
Old 06-03-16, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I'm willing to wager anything that you're dead wrong about Overwatch being dead in 2 months. No way in hell. I respectfully disagree.
I agree with your disagreement. The game is a hit. Competitive gameplay will keep player coming back, then there's free DLC characters and maps down the line. This game will have legs.
Old 06-03-16, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So the plan is for all future DLC to be offered for free?
Old 06-03-16, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Yeah, I'd say more like 2 years, and even then, only if there's no major updates to keep things fresh.
Old 06-03-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

your plan of converting beta testers into sales numbers worked! haha. at least my friend and i both bought the game. I'll probably end up having to get it in xbox one for the kids as well. and they want tracer action figures
Old 06-03-16, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Barth
I think you underestimate the amount of support and the longevity of games from Blizzard, especially on the PC side.
Old 06-03-16, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
So the plan is for all future DLC to be offered for free?
Originally Posted by Decker
For me, no Season Pass was a big selling point. I'm not a big multiplayer-only fan in general, but I really hate when they hide half the content behind a secondary paywall (cough, Battlefront, cough).

And yeah, the only payment for users is for loot boxes, which is all cosmetic.
Old 06-03-16, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct, Blizzard felt strongly about delivering the same gaming experience to all gamers. They were very firm in not wanting to split the community with DLC. They didn't want friends that played together to worry about not having matching content that could diminish the balanced experience they worked hard achieve.

So yes according to Blizzard all future Heroes, maps and match modes will be free and like Fumanstan stated the only exception are loot boxes that are fully just cosmetic.

BTW anyone on here that plays on Xbox One and wants to team up please feel free to add me Jackal666666

The one thing that I find perplexing is how little players actually communicate in this game because it is so vital to success.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.