Reload this Page >

New to Console Gaming: Advice Needed

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-04-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey gang....been watching this part of the forum for a few months and I will say...I'm a bit jealous at all the fun everyones having!

I've been a PC gamer for 15+ years...never owned a console...ever.

But...its time to change that. I'm a bit bored of PC games and need a change. I need a few pieces of info and some advice.

I've done my initial research and have settled on an Xbox One. I'll probably buy a PS4 soon enough...money isn't really the issue...just want to get a foot hold on the platforms.

Here is what I'm buying...any suggestions for needed accessories or am I buying too much?

Xbox One Elite 1TB
extra wireless controller
(2) plug and play's 1 for each controller
10 or so games....varied: Some Sports/FPS, etc...
Headphones/headset
2TB hard drive for extra storage
Xbox Live Gold 1 year sub

Thoughts? Am I missing anything specific that I could need? I'm looking at hooking this up to my living rooms 60" LG..so it should look great.

Now if I understand correctly...a "Season Pass" is a purchase to be able to get any future DLC for that specific game...correct?

Sorry for the questions...new at this console stuff.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-16, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 544 Likes on 397 Posts
Re: New to Console Gaming: Advice Needed

Unless you're just looking to blow money the plug and play's are pretty unnecessary. Just get some rechargeable batteries. The xbox controller has a decent battery life. I still don't understand why people are needing bigger harddrives. I play through more games than probably 95% of the people on this site and I've never even filled up a quarter of my drive. At most you are going to play 5 games at a time. When you are done with one delete it and if you want to play it again then redownload it.

Season passes can be iffy. Sometimes they are for all future DLC but sometimes they are for a certain prelisted amount of DLC and then they might release more after that. I would recommend waiting on season passes unless they specifically spell out what is included or it's for a game you consider a "must have all the content" game.
Old 02-04-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I still don't understand why people are needing bigger harddrives. I play through more games than probably 95% of the people on this site and I've never even filled up a quarter of my drive. At most you are going to play 5 games at a time. When you are done with one delete it and if you want to play it again then redownload it.
Old 02-04-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

I mentioned it elsewhere, but if you're just getting an XO, one of the best purchases you can make is EA access that for $30, will give you one year of immediate full access to download and play about a dozen full games including both Battlefield games, Dragon Age Inquisition and Madden 16.
Old 02-04-16, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

I would probably buy only three games of various genres. If you don't like something, pick up another, but the two-week wait on a title could save you $20.

If you anticipate bulk buying, look into Best Buy's Gamers Club Unlocked. Amazon now offers Prime members discounts on new releases and pre-orders, which is nice, but I think BB might be a little better for older titles.

I love my external hard drive, but I'm not aggressive about deleting. Also, I don't like waiting for installs so if I think I might play something soon, I go ahead and install it. Even from a disc it can take a while with the updates. You can always wait on the hard drive and see if you need it. Also, the X1 is really easy to see what you have available to install so that makes deleting easier.
Old 02-04-16, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd wait on the HD until you actually need it. Also, try buying around the holidays. I bought a 4TB WD HD for $100 from BB Black Friday.

As for games, I don't think you really need to buy 10+ games right off, maybe one or two and get Xbox live for a year. You'll get four games with gold a month from this - 2 Xbox 360 games you'll have to trigger online if you don't have a 360 and 2 for X1. As of Dec, all 360 GwG will be backwards compatible for the X1. You'll own the 360 GwG for life but the X1 GwG will only be playable as long as you have the Gold membership. If it expires you will lose access to X1 GwG but you'll get access again once you renew your membership.
Old 02-05-16, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Awesome advice people..thanks! I'll hold off on some games and go with the regchargables for now.

Appreciate everything. Just wasn't sure where to start or what I needed.
Old 02-05-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I forgot to add...seems like console games aren't like PC games...

If I have something...say on disc...if I don't like it or am done with it I can sell it or trade it.

Then...if I want I can buy another on disc and play it. Its just different ( in my mind ) from PC where I had to have a code to input and that was it....can only input it once and that disc was done.

Hope I made sense there...just my old time experience.
Old 02-05-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
I mentioned it elsewhere, but if you're just getting an XO, one of the best purchases you can make is EA access that for $30, will give you one year of immediate full access to download and play about a dozen full games including both Battlefield games, Dragon Age Inquisition and Madden 16.
Thanks Decker...I'll look into that....definitely interests me.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-16, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveO

If I have something...say on disc...if I don't like it or am done with it I can sell it or trade it.

Then...if I want I can buy another on disc and play it. Its just different ( in my mind ) from PC where I had to have a code to input and that was it....can only input it once and that disc was done.
Yeah, MS was going to do it like that, but it was met with such fierce criticism that they backtracked and got rid of it. They essentially lost the console war over it, as Sony was perceived as "the good guys."
Old 02-05-16, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
Wait, you're giving a thumbs up to re-downloading?

In general, I'd agree with the idea that you can manage the hard drive space on the current gen pretty well. It was getting pretty tough to manage on the PS3, due to their smaller drives.

But I do find myself constantly having to delete stuff every time a new Destiny patch comes out because of the way the system needs to reserve the space for a full 17gig patch when I'm only downloading a gig or less. Not sure if that's an XBOX issue too or not.
Old 02-05-16, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess you don't know that Steam now has a refund policy? If you purchase a game on Steam and don't like it or it doesn't run well, or any reason really, you can get a full refund within the first two weeks if you've played less than 2 hours.

If you want to get into consoles, make sure you're doing it for the exclusives. Most multi-platform games are also available on PC, and usually they are cheaper and have better graphics options (if your hardware can handle it).
Old 02-05-16, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 544 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
Wait, you're giving a thumbs up to re-downloading?

In general, I'd agree with the idea that you can manage the hard drive space on the current gen pretty well. It was getting pretty tough to manage on the PS3, due to their smaller drives.

But I do find myself constantly having to delete stuff every time a new Destiny patch comes out because of the way the system needs to reserve the space for a full 17gig patch when I'm only downloading a gig or less. Not sure if that's an XBOX issue too or not.
I never have to constantly delete stuff. When I buy a game digitally (or get from Games with Gold or PS+) that I'm interested in playing soon I download it. If I know I'm not going to play it soon then I just add it to my games list but don't download it. When I'm finished with a game I delete it. It's not a complicated process.
Old 02-05-16, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I never have to constantly delete stuff. When I buy a game digitally (or get from Games with Gold or PS+) that I'm interested in playing soon I download it. If I know I'm not going to play it soon then I just add it to my games list but don't download it. When I'm finished with a game I delete it. It's not a complicated process.
his emote laugh was making fun of my ISP speed
Old 02-05-16, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
his emote laugh was making fun of my ISP speed

Old 02-05-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Hope I made sense there...just my old time experience.
You can go both ways. Buy it on disc and have the ability to resell it, or buy it digitally. The Xbox and PlayStation stores have frequent digital sales, so sometimes I buy those and sometimes I buy discs depending on the price. If you resell, you'll figure that into the price, of course.
Old 02-05-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I just got an Xbox one at xmas. EA Access and XBL Gold were must buys (since both were like around 25-30 bucks for a year at the time).
you can usually get games on disc cheaper but its way more convenient to have the digital version, especially if you're jumping between different games constantly.
Old 02-05-16, 12:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
You can go both ways.
Old 02-05-16, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'm on the side of the bigger hard drive as well. Especially if you get a PS4, you might as well do it right out of the gate so you don't have to worry about swapping it later and re-downloading everything. I have a 2TB HD now and love it.
Old 02-05-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome advice people..thanks! I'll hold off on some games and go with the regchargables for now.
I always used rechargeable AAs last gen, but I've been happy with this for the one...and it drops to $20 often:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I also join the crew in recommending EA Access.
Old 02-06-16, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

You absolutely should get the Best Buy gamers club unlocked. It's a complete no brainer. You will save 20% on all "new" game purchases including games that are on sale (including black Friday sales). It's $30 for 2 years. If you are buying all of your games new, it will pay for itself the day you get them and then some.
Old 02-06-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't think I would need an external drive that quickly, but if you have games that you only play occasionally or regularly go back to it can fill up. Sports games or shooters are like that for me, where something like NBA2K or Madden I always need installed since I go back to them regularly. Throw in games where you know DLC will come out that you'll revisit soon, it can go quickly.

That said, the XBox One makes it easy enough to add a drive when you actually need it.

I'm primarily a PC guy, but i've really enjoyed owning both Sony and Microsoft consoles too.
Old 02-06-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If it wasn't for GCU I'd probably get all my games digitally. I never resell my games as I usually keep them past the point where a resell is worth the money. So digital is my preference. That said, getting 20% off new games is too good a deal to pass on.

The external hard drives are so cheap these days that it not worth my time managing hard drive space. The internal 1TB plus an external 2-4 TB drive will last a really lone time.

Get a few sets of Eneloop batteries and a charger. Plug and play is not worth it. Plus the batteries can be used for other things.
Old 02-06-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW, when you buy that second controller, make sure it's the improved version with the new bumpers and standard headset jack. I don't know what to look for on the box if you get it in a store, but on Amazon it's under the main listing (the old one is labeled "without 3.5" headset jack" or something).

One way to be sure is to get the covert forces version - you might want a second controller to look a little different anyway.
Old 02-06-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

I was a hardcore AA proponent on the 360 but the PS4 and WiiU docks have spoiled me. AA's are dumb. I need to get a dock for my X1 controllers.

Originally Posted by edstein

The external hard drives are so cheap these days that it not worth my time managing hard drive space.
It's like two button presses.

I'm with Questyen, there's no 'managing hard drive space' at all. Finish a game, and a couple button presses later your hard drive space is back. It's really not that much work. Add digital games to your library w/o downloading.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.