Reload this Page >

WWE 2K17 and 2K Sports.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

WWE 2K17 and 2K Sports.

Old 01-28-16, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts
WWE 2K17 and 2K Sports.

WWE video games to remain exclusive as 2K Sports and WWE extend their contract. World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) and video game publisher Take-Two have agreed to a "multiyear" extension of their exclusive licensing agreement for the WWE 2K series of wrestling video games, the companies announced today.

The companies did not disclose financial terms of the deal. Asked for details on the length of the extension, a Take-Two representative declined further comment to Polygon.

The WWE 2K series was born back in February 2013, when WWE first agreed to an exclusive licensing contract with Take-Two. The franchise is a continuation of the WWE series of games that THQ had been publishing. Take-Two took over for THQ after the latter company filed for bankruptcy at the end of 2012. THQ's first WWE game was WWF WrestleMania 2000, which launched in 1999; however, the current series is considered to have begun with WWF SmackDown! in 2000. WWE 2K14, which was released in 2013, marked the franchise's transition to 2K Sports, a publishing label under Take-Two.

"2K's partnership with WWE over the past three years has resulted in a successful and important addition to the Company's portfolio of profitable franchises," said David Ismailer, chief operating officer for 2K, in a press release today. "We are very pleased to extend our partnership with WWE and look forward to many more years of collaboration."

"Our continued partnership ensures WWE remains at the forefront of global video game brands as we continue innovating and publishing our offerings on multiple platforms," said Casey Collins, executive vice president of consumer products for WWE.

Take-Two's licensing agreement with WWE means the publisher retains exclusive worldwide rights to develop and publish WWE video games on "all major platforms and distribution channels." Ismailer cited the WWE franchise's "year-over-year growth," as well as the success of the free-to-play mobile game WWE SuperCard, as reasons for extending the licensing agreement. The original contract was reportedly a five-year deal running through 2017, so while the companies did not specify the length of the extension, the new agreement will presumably last beyond 2017.

The latest entry in the WWE 2K franchise is WWE 2K16, which was released last October. Under Take-Two, the WWE 2K games are co-developed by Yuke's — the Japanese studio that has been working on the series since WWF SmackDown! — and Visual Concepts, the company behind the NBA 2K franchise.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/28/108...nsion-take-two
Old 01-28-16, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: WWE 2K17 and 2K Sports.

So we should expect shitty gameplay with updated rosters for the next several years? Seriously, 2k needs to work on the engine for these games. They haven't been fun in a while.
Old 01-29-16, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

I dunno. I liked the 2K16 game pretty well. It was definitely improved over 2K15 but there are still some things that could be better. Personally I'm tired of the way the grapple and pin systems work. I know button mashing isn't always ideal but at times I feel it worked better. I'd like to see a true Legends game made over anything else. Incorporate the showcase mode for various wrestlers or events in time and just give us a roster full of classic wrestlers. Personally I buy these games more for that purpose than I do to use the newer stars.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-30-16 at 12:17 AM.
Old 01-29-16, 09:30 PM
Banned

Simply they need to go back to the simplified, but highly entertaining engine system of the THQ games for N64. All those games, from WCW/NWO World Tour to WCW/NWO Revenge to WWF Wrestlemania 2000 to WWF No Mercy, were incredibly fun. Anyone could simply get the controllers and pick up the pace and the way of the game easily. The Japan versions of these games are even better with the improved AI. I still play No Mercy and Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. They more fun than most, if not all, of the THQ/2K Sports games that have been released in the past decade. The biggest problem is the grappling and pinning system. Too complicated and they take away the fun.
Old 01-30-16, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh I definitely enjoyed the N64 games. I have all the ones you mentioned to this day aside from WCW/NWO World Tour which I'm not sure I ever even played. I enjoyed the Smackdown! games too for the most part (Just Bring It, Here Comes the Pain, and Smackdown! vs. Raw 2006 on PS2 were probably my favorites). I didn't like the last few games that THQ did (Smackdown! vs. Raw 2011, WWE '12, WWE '13).
Old 01-30-16, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Yay more shitty games! I put countless hours into the Smackdown series, but have barely touched the 2K games. They are just not fun.
Old 01-30-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is disappointing news for me as well. I haven't enjoyed the series at all since it moved to 2K Sports. I swore WWE 15 was going to be my last game but I got suckered in to buying WWE 2K16 with the whole "biggest roster ever" tagline.

I should have know it would just be the same guys with three or four costume changes instead of an actual 120 different Wrestlers /Divas. I guess that's my fault for not doing my homework on the title.

I agree 100% with what Red Hood is saying. If they would just go back to gameplay style of the older titles like he mentioned (WCW/NWO World Tour, WCW/NWO Revenge, WWF Wrestlemania 2000, WWF No Mercy) they would have a winning formula. Those games were so much fun to play.

Looking back, I guess the last WWE game I had a ton of fun with was Smackdown Vs. Raw 2009 and that was seven years ago.
Old 05-30-16, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pre-order WWE 2K17 to play as two versions of Goldberg and get two WCW arenas. Look closely at the ending of the video and you can see a reflection of a Suplex City sign in the police car window as Goldberg sees it and smirks.

Edit: Pre-order bonus

PRE-ORDER BONUS INCLUDES:
PLAYABLE WCW GOLDBERG WITH BLACK TIGHTS
PLAYABLE WWE GOLDBERG WITH BLACK AND WHITE SHORTS
TWO PLAYABLE ARENAS: WCW MONDAY NITRO AND HALLOWEEN HAVOC

Legendary WCW and WWE star Bill Goldberg arrives in WWE 2K17 to Spear and Jackhammer the competition! His unprecedented 173-0 win streak in WCW from 1997 to 1998 made an enormous impact with fans and spawned the catchphrase, “Who’s Next?” Goldberg collected top titles in both companies, including the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, WWE World Heavyweight Championship, WCW United States Heavyweight Championship and WCW World Tag Team Championship alongside WWE Hall of Famer Bret Hart. His final appearance in a WWE ring was against Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania XX more than 12 years ago.

https://wwe.2k.com/

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 05-30-16 at 10:41 PM.
Old 05-30-16, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Simply they need to go back to the simplified, but highly entertaining engine system of the THQ games for N64. All those games, from WCW/NWO World Tour to WCW/NWO Revenge to WWF Wrestlemania 2000 to WWF No Mercy, were incredibly fun. Anyone could simply get the controllers and pick up the pace and the way of the game easily. The Japan versions of these games are even better with the improved AI. I still play No Mercy and Virtual Pro Wrestling 2. They more fun than most, if not all, of the THQ/2K Sports games that have been released in the past decade. The biggest problem is the grappling and pinning system. Too complicated and they take away the fun.
I haven't played a Virtual Pro wrestling game for a while, but without a huge graphical overhaul there's no way they're going back to that engine. I love the series, but I also think people forget that the reason CAWs were so easy to do back then is because of the limited graphical options as well.

I think they released Fire Pro Wrestling on the PS2 and I don't think it sold all that well. I loved the GBA version though.
Old 06-27-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-27-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm off this series until they redo the engine and mechanics that showed up in 2K15. It's just too slow for my tastes.
Old 06-27-16, 09:26 PM
Banned

The thing that 2kSports fails to realize is that Pro Wrestling is the one thing we don't need realistic adaption in a video game. We need more arcade style and less trying to be like NBA2K. Like I mentioned before, the N64 games are the modern standard of what wrestling video games should be. Fire Pro Wrestling comes in a close second and both engines focus on the insanity of pro wrestling instead of realism. 2K just needs to simplify everything, most importantly, controls, grappling and pinning. Make this game easy for non-wrestling fans to pick it up and be able to play and have fun.
Old 06-27-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should check out WWE All Stars. Easily the best wrestling game in recent memory.
Old 07-14-16, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWE 2K17 Collector’s Edition Comes With Finn Balor Figure, Piece Of Ring Canvas.

This year’s WWE2K17 collector’s edition doesn’t look back on a legendary star. It’s instead focused on the talent of tomorrow.

The NXT Edition includes a number of collectibles and in-game items that bring WWE’s next generation of superstars home. The $100 collector’s edition includes three playable NXT wrestlers (Shinsuke Nakamura, Nia Jax, and Apollo Crews), as well as a boost that gives you 50 percent more points at NXT in the game’s MyCareer mode.

It also includes a number of physical items. These include:
•Canvas 2 Canvas lithograph by artist Rob Schamberger and signed by Shinsuke Nakamura
•Eight-inch Demon Finn Bálor figurine
•Tops NXT TakeOver: London Mat Relics Card that includes a piece of ring canvas from the event and features one of fourteen different superstars that participated (cards will have one of ten different rarity levels)

You’ll also get the Goldberg pack that allows you to play as the WCW and WWE incarnations of the star. It also comes with WCW Monday Nitro and Halloween Havoc arenas.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ampaign=buffer
Old 07-27-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stephanie, Shane, and Vince McMahon Confirmed for WWE 2K17.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/07/26...d-for-wwe-2k17
Old 07-27-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder how many sales will be lost because the big brand split happened just prior to this release. I mean changes happen all the time, but they've been bringing in so many new people and elevating them that this game will be very outdated by the time it comes out, even though it has a lot of NXT talent like Balor.
Old 07-27-16, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder how many sales will be lost because the big brand split happened just prior to this release. I mean changes happen all the time, but they've been bringing in so many new people and elevating them that this game will be very outdated by the time it comes out, even though it has a lot of NXT talent like Balor.
Some of the changes can be represented in the game without much effort. As long as Universe mode hasn't changed much since 2K14, you can easily build up the brands as they currently exist. The new logos and arena setups will probably not be there yet. The Universal Title will almost certainly not make it.

But with how many NXT stars they had in the game last year, it's certainly possible that everyone outside of maybe Shelton Benjamin will be on the roster.

Where they usually fall short because of time constraints is with factions and outfit changes.Like when Nexus debuted and the game ended getting only 3 of them as DLC (and not Daniel Bryan due to the firing/rehiring). Or when The Shield debuted and they didn't make it in the game. Or when the Shield split and they still had their old gear and entrances. Or when Cody became Stadust but too late to add it to the game. And of course theme music.

The music one is probably the worst now, because they got rid of custom themes. That's one of the reasons I dumped the series after 2K14.
Old 08-08-16, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last edited by Sonny Corinthos; 08-09-16 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-08-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts

Is there supposed to be something in your post?
Old 08-09-16, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
WWE 2K17 Collector’s Edition Comes With Finn Balor Figure, Piece Of Ring Canvas.

This year’s WWE2K17 collector’s edition doesn’t look back on a legendary star. It’s instead focused on the talent of tomorrow.

The NXT Edition includes a number of collectibles and in-game items that bring WWE’s next generation of superstars home. The $100 collector’s edition includes three playable NXT wrestlers (Shinsuke Nakamura, Nia Jax, and Apollo Crews), as well as a boost that gives you 50 percent more points at NXT in the game’s MyCareer mode.

It also includes a number of physical items. These include:
•Canvas 2 Canvas lithograph by artist Rob Schamberger and signed by Shinsuke Nakamura
•Eight-inch Demon Finn Bálor figurine
•Tops NXT TakeOver: London Mat Relics Card that includes a piece of ring canvas from the event and features one of fourteen different superstars that participated (cards will have one of ten different rarity levels)

You’ll also get the Goldberg pack that allows you to play as the WCW and WWE incarnations of the star. It also comes with WCW Monday Nitro and Halloween Havoc arenas.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...ampaign=buffer
That's awesome! The figure I could take or leave but I'd love to have the lithograph and canvas collectible.
Old 08-24-16, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the roster that has been announced so far.

Spoiler:

•Aiden English
•Booker T
•Brian Pillman
•Brie Bella
•Chris Jericho
•Diego
•Erick Rowan
•Fernando
•Heath Slater
•Jey Uso
•Jimmy Uso
•Jim Neidhart
•Konnor
•Larry Zybszko
•Nikki Bella
•R-Truth
•Simon Gotch
•Ultimate Warrior
•Viktor
•Alicia Fox
•Andre the Giant
•Baron Corbin
•Big E
•Billy Gunn
•Braun Strowman
•Bret Hart
•British Bulldog
•Cesaro
•Charlotte
•Daniel Bryan
•Edge
•Finn Balor
•Hideo Itami
•Jake Roberts
•Kalisto
•Randy Orton
•Ricky 'The Dragon' Steamboat
•Cara
•The Rock
•Triple H
•Tyson Kidd
•AJ Styles
•Alexa Bliss
•Alundra Blayze
•Arn Anderson
•Bam Bam Bigelow
•Becky Lynch
•Bo Dallas
•Bubba Ray Dudley
•Bushwhacker Butch
•Bushwhacker Luke
•Christian
•Curtis Axel
•Dana Brooke
•Dolph Ziggler
•D-Von Dudley
•Emma
•Eva Marie
•Fandango
•Kofi Kingston
•Lita
•Mr. Perfect
•Naomi
•Natalya
•Neville
•Randy Savage
•Rick Rude
•Rikishi
•Shawn Michaels
•Stardust
•Sting
•Summer Rae
•Tamina
•Tatsumi Fujinami
•Trish Stratus
•Tyler Breeze
•Xavier Woods
•Alberto Del Rio
•Big Cass
•Big Show
•Bray Wyatt
•Brock Lesnar
•Carmella
•Chad Gable
•Darren Young
•Dash Wilder
•Diamond Dallas Page
•Earthquake
•Enzo Amore
•Goldberg
•Jason Jordan
•JBL
•Mark Henry
•Paige
•Razor Ramon
•Ric Flair
•Rusev
•Sami Zayn
•Samoa Joe
•Sasha Banks
•Scott Dawson
•Sheamus
•The Miz
•Titus O'Neil
•Typhoon
•Zack Ryder
Old 08-24-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know Fujinami was inducted into the WWE HOF and all, but that still seems like an odd inclusion.
Old 08-24-16, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty good roster. Kind of wish that the roster as far as the Legends go could stay more consistent as it seems for every one that's added more get taken away in subsequent entries. I'll probably get this at some point but I still wish that we could just get a full on Legends game.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-24-16 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-24-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts

Probably will be picking this up regardless but I really wish they would ditch the kickout system they use, I hate it.
Glad to see a healthy dose of divas in there.
Old 08-30-16, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Final Round Of WWE 2K17 Roster Reveal Complete.

Spoiler:
Asuka
Bayley
Big Boss Man
Buddy Murphy
Cactus Jack
Dean Ambrose
Diesel
Dude Love
"The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes
Goldust
Jack Swagger
John Cena
Kane
Kevin Owens
Lex Luger
Luke Harper
Mankind
Road Dogg Jesse James
Roman Reigns
Seth Rollins
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Undertaker
Vader
Wesley Blake

Pretty ho-hum roster this year IMO. I don't want/need every character that Mick Foley portrayed during his career. Those are spots that could have been given to someone else, either Legends or someone in NXT.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.