Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-01-16, 07:10 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JuryDuty
Tips for new players:
  • Unless you're into spending money, don't ever buy data packs (except the first Chromium--it guarantees you a character; you buy it with crystals).
  • Once in a great while you'll get a character from a daily pack, or shards, but 45% of the characters you get will be from the various stores in the game. You can only see 1-2 when you start (Cantina and Squad Arena), but eventually you'll see another 3 or so, and they'll keep you busy grabbing character shards. The other 45% of the characters you get will be from doing hard battles...one shard at a time.
  • At the start, you really just need to keep plugging away at what you know to do. The game is great at opening up new areas when you're about ready for them. Don't even be that concerned about which characters are the "right ones." For instance, you'll probably continue to use Clone Wars Chewbacca for a while...but you'll likely abandon him by level 60 or so in favor of other characters.
  • I do highly recommend doing nothing in the Cantina except getting GS shards (Battle 1-A). Just do it over and over again until he's 7*. I camped there until he was done and then started doing more cantina battles. You'll use him way into the end game. Do one Cantina refresh every day (100 crystals).
  • In the Squad Arena (PvP), ST Han and Leia are both great choices. Again, I'd just keep farming them until they were maxed, then move on.
  • Other than that, keep doing the Light and Dark side battles. (Refresh twice each day (50 crystals each)). Right now you can just try to get through the levels, but eventually you'll want each one three stars because you'll go back to them countless times to get specific character shards so you can get a character, or to get equipment parts to make them stronger. By the way, equipment (those green pluses) make a HUGE difference--more than anything!
  • Be sure to get through your Dailies every day. That maxes your growth.
  • It's a bit frustrating early on because you want to get a bunch of characters, but if you really focus on building a strong team, they'll open the game for you.
  • Don't hesitate to use ALL your energy every single day. And if you fight a battle a second time, use a SIM if you have it. I was so concerned early on with burning through my credits and SIMs that I hoarded them. No need to do that. They all refill the following day, and by using them you grow faster.
  • These are generally considered some of the best characters in each store, in order of general preference. If you're not sure who to get, get them in this order. But don't let the idea of getting the "best" characters rule your gameplay. It's fun to play with whoever you want and sometimes unique combinations do surprisingly well:

Guild Shipments: Rey, Ewok Elder
    Arena Shipments: ST Han, Princess Leia, Admiral Ackbar
    Galactic War Shipments: Luminara, Captain Phasma, Teebo, Poggle the Lesser, IG-86 (Note: Luminara is best up to about level 75, then Phasma seems to shine more. Ultimately, you'll want both.)
    Cantina Shipments: Qui-Gon Jinn, Daka, Fives, Ahsoka
    Cantina Battles: Geonosian Soldier, Barriss, Count Dooku, Old Ben, Royal Guard, Jedi Consular, Luke Skywalker, Lando Calrissian

Print Wikipost

Old 01-11-16, 04:38 PM   #101
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)

Hey even that website lists Royal Guard as one of the worst! It's scientifically proven!

That sucks about the Count Dooku pack, I totally would of bought him for $5. Like you said, I'm sure there will be another "deal" and I have no problem with throwing a little bit of money at the game. I laugh at those ridiculous bundles like the $100 one for 2 characters.
Old 01-11-16, 05:25 PM   #102
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I just found out that the Bronzium Data Cards that you purchase with Ally points have predetermined contents before you actually "buy" them.

All day long today I had a little #2 next to my character icon on the left hand side of the screen indicating I had 2 modifications available to make. But everytime I opened up my characters, there was nothing for me to do. A good 12 hours have gone by and this little #2 is bugging the hell out of me.

BUT, I have also had a #3+ next to my data cards icon because I had over 1000 ally points that I hadn't spent yet. So since there's nothing left for me to do today, I figured I'll just go ahead and finally buy those 4 cards and see what I get.

Well guess what the contents were... a random character shard, a couple hundred credits, and... 2 gear mods that my characters apparently have been waiting for all day.

So sure enough, after opening the packs and revealing the contents, I went back to the character screen and there were 2 little green plus signs waiting for me to equip the gear. Once that was done, the little #2 that had been annoying me all day finally went away.

So even though I hadn't yet bought the packs with my credits, the game was basically indicating long before then that 2 of them were going to be gear mods that I needed.

As far as I can figure, as soon as you earn 250 credits, your reward from the cards is determined. I'm still assuming it's random up until then, but who knows for sure. The actual 'buying' part is just visual fluff.

I apologize if this is common knowledge... I'm new here.
Old 01-11-16, 05:37 PM   #103
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think that's right. I currently have "3" next to mine but no Bronzium cards that I can buy, if I go to each character I can find three of them that have a "1" next to the Train button, just signifying I can level them up.
Old 01-11-16, 07:11 PM   #104
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I don't think that's correct either. Make sure you investigate everything on the character's screen. Scroll the abilities, dive deep into each craft-able gear to craft sub-components, train up, etc
Old 01-11-16, 08:29 PM   #105
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Hey even that website lists Royal Guard as one of the worst! It's scientifically proven!
LOL

I use Royal Guard as my dark side tank. He casts resist and armor and has a ton of HP. I'll even use him in arena and cantina as well. Until I can do better of course.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 01-12-16, 05:21 AM   #106
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
Yeah, I don't think that's correct either. Make sure you investigate everything on the character's screen. Scroll the abilities, dive deep into each craft-able gear to craft sub-components, train up, etc
Believe me, I looked everywhere. I only have 8 characters so it wasn't hard to check them all. And they're all at maximum level so training wasn't an option either.

Like I said, only after I opened the pack was I able to upgrade 2 gear slots and make that number go away. I must've checked 30 times before that and nothing was ever available to upgrade. Trust me I clicked on everything. It was making me crazy.

Maybe it was just a bug.

Last edited by 19K; 01-12-16 at 05:39 AM..
Old 01-12-16, 08:51 AM   #107
Groucho

The front page character counter is completely useless, learn to ignore it. It includes lower-level crafting but doesn't mark which characters have that option. It really should only show characters that are ready to be upgraded in some way and nothing else.
Old 01-12-16, 06:30 PM   #108
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Opened my first Chromium packs just now, in an 8-pack. I got, in this order:

12 shards - Coruscant Underworld Police (enough to activate 1*)
12 shards - Old Daka (34/80 to activate)
12 shards - Elder Ewok (17/25 to 3*)
10 shards - Princes Leia (10/25 to activate)
12 shards - Ahsoka Tano (16/25 to activate)
12 shards - Chewbacca (14/65 to 5*)
12 shards - Teebo (15/25 to 3*)
3* Captain Phasma

Would not do again. Will just refresh energy for gear and shard farming.
Old 01-12-16, 07:29 PM   #109
chase3001
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sucks you only got one character, and the rest shards. And the one character you got can be easily farmed

The videos that I've seen where people open them, they usually get two or three characters.
Old 01-12-16, 10:49 PM   #110
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

I feel like I should have just held on to the crystals until after the January update.
Old 01-13-16, 05:10 AM   #111
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Would not do again. Will just refresh energy for gear and shard farming.
Is that the trick to increasing your star rating? I can't for the life of me figure out how some of you guys have 8 and 9 star characters.

I used up a full energy count farming for chewbacca shards and didn't get a single one. I need 30 to go up to the next star. Shards rarely drop for me. I haven't been able to increase the star level of a single character yet. I have most of them to gear level 4 though so the gear part of it hasn't been much of an issue so far.
Old 01-13-16, 08:36 AM   #112
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Well, star ratings only go to 7 and I only just got my first 5* yesterday, Lumi, and will have Sidious tomorrow.

Shard drops are one way. The other way is from Cantina/Arena/GW Shipments as well as regular Shipments. You can't get every character this way as some are unique to data packs.

Gear is by far the biggest bang for your energy buck, but shards will also be necessary to fully maximize your characters.
Old 01-13-16, 08:55 AM   #113
Groucho

It's frustrating that there's four ways to upgrade your characters (XP, Shards, Gear, and Abilities). Interestingly, it seems that Ability upgrades are the only ones have no affect on your power rating.
Old 01-13-16, 09:51 AM   #114
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Well, star ratings only go to 7 and I only just got my first 5* yesterday, Lumi, and will have Sidious tomorrow.

Shard drops are one way. The other way is from Cantina/Arena/GW Shipments as well as regular Shipments. You can't get every character this way as some are unique to data packs.

Gear is by far the biggest bang for your energy buck, but shards will also be necessary to fully maximize your characters.
Oops, yeah 7 stars. I guess I never noticed the actual number since I'm not even close with any of my characters. I just see that couple of you are only 1 or 2 from filling them all out and assumed it was a 10 star system.

I just recently unlocked the Cantina so I don't have many points to spend yet. I've only been playing since Saturday so I suppose I just have to give it some time.

Is a certain shipment route a better value than another? For instance, the regular shipments sell 1 single shard for 50 crystals. Meanwhile, the Cantina and Arena shipments have 5 shards for 400 of the respective credits. Seems like the credits are easier to acquire than crystals, but I'm not positive.
Old 01-13-16, 09:57 AM   #115
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Doesn't matter since they're different currencies. All you need to do is focus on "the best" character in each store. That is basically:

GW - Luminara
Arena - Sidious
Cantina - Variable based on your needs but typically Boba Fett, Poe, Old Daka, and Fives are the most appealing.

I don't buy the 2-3 shards from Shipments because I feel like 50 crystals each is too much for what can otherwise be farmed.
Old 01-13-16, 09:59 AM   #116
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone heard of this:

http://hackers.university/star-wars-...ited-crystals/

I cannot imagine its legit.

Old 01-13-16, 10:41 AM   #117
Obey The D
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I lucked out and had Luminara drop from a Bronzium card the other night. I've also had some pretty good luck with the Chromium packs I bought, but like others have said, if you put in the time there really isn't any need to drop money on the game unless you want to be in the top 20 or so on your arena server.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 01-13-16, 10:44 AM   #118
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
I lucked out and had Luminara drop from a Bronzium card the other night. I've also had some pretty good luck with the Chromium packs I bought, but like others have said, if you put in the time there really isn't any need to drop money on the game unless you want to be in the top 20 or so on your arena server.
I haven't even gotten a shard much less a character from a bronze drop. I've thrown $20 at the game so far with zero reward, so unless it's on a $5 buck package with Dooku or something, this game isn't getting any more real money from me.

Old 01-13-16, 10:48 AM   #119
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
so unless it's on a $5 buck package with Dooku or something, this game isn't getting any more real money from me.

I wish I would have just sucked it up and done that. I didn't fully understand the deal when it was offered.
Old 01-13-16, 10:51 AM   #120
Obey The D
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I haven't even gotten a shard much less a character from a bronze drop. I've thrown $20 at the game so far with zero reward, so unless it's on a $5 buck package with Dooku or something, this game isn't getting any more real money from me.
The prices for the character packs are insane. $99.00 for Kylo Ren, Finn, and some other stuff? They are out of their minds.

I dropped way more than I should have (around $60...) since I had iTunes cards to burn. Most packs I've bought have had 2 or 3 characters, and the rest of the cards turned into shards.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 01-13-16, 11:05 AM   #121
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
The prices for the character packs are insane. $99.00 for Kylo Ren, Finn, and some other stuff? They are out of their minds.

I dropped way more than I should have (around $60...) since I had iTunes cards to burn. Most packs I've bought have had 2 or 3 characters, and the rest of the cards turned into shards.
I'm presently saving for the 4x chromium from Arena rewards and other crystal rewards, should have it by the weekend or early next week. I'm sure it will be a bunch of ewock shards, though, lol.

Old 01-13-16, 11:17 AM   #122
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I think the packs they sell are some of the most overpriced I've seen in a F2P game yet.

I'm just going to keep grinding it out for now. Hopefully once I open up GW that will help me progress better.
Old 01-13-16, 11:29 AM   #123
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm presently saving for the 4x chromium from Arena rewards and other crystal rewards, should have it by the weekend or early next week. I'm sure it will be a bunch of ewock shards, though, lol.
Even better, they'll drop Jar Jar on us right before you are ready to buy and you'll get him instead. He'll also be the first character that doesn't have an Attack skill.
Old 01-13-16, 11:32 AM   #124
Groucho

I'd pay real money for Jar Jar if he attacked with his tongue.
Old 01-13-16, 11:32 AM   #125
Gooter
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't you hear? Jar Jar is really a Sith Lord in disguise.

I'm still grinding away. I'll finally get Sidious tomorrow. Yay! I still don't get shit from the bronze packs either.
Sponsored Links