Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-01-16, 07:10 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JuryDuty
Tips for new players:
  • Unless you're into spending money, don't ever buy data packs (except the first Chromium--it guarantees you a character; you buy it with crystals).
  • Once in a great while you'll get a character from a daily pack, or shards, but 45% of the characters you get will be from the various stores in the game. You can only see 1-2 when you start (Cantina and Squad Arena), but eventually you'll see another 3 or so, and they'll keep you busy grabbing character shards. The other 45% of the characters you get will be from doing hard battles...one shard at a time.
  • At the start, you really just need to keep plugging away at what you know to do. The game is great at opening up new areas when you're about ready for them. Don't even be that concerned about which characters are the "right ones." For instance, you'll probably continue to use Clone Wars Chewbacca for a while...but you'll likely abandon him by level 60 or so in favor of other characters.
  • I do highly recommend doing nothing in the Cantina except getting GS shards (Battle 1-A). Just do it over and over again until he's 7*. I camped there until he was done and then started doing more cantina battles. You'll use him way into the end game. Do one Cantina refresh every day (100 crystals).
  • In the Squad Arena (PvP), ST Han and Leia are both great choices. Again, I'd just keep farming them until they were maxed, then move on.
  • Other than that, keep doing the Light and Dark side battles. (Refresh twice each day (50 crystals each)). Right now you can just try to get through the levels, but eventually you'll want each one three stars because you'll go back to them countless times to get specific character shards so you can get a character, or to get equipment parts to make them stronger. By the way, equipment (those green pluses) make a HUGE difference--more than anything!
  • Be sure to get through your Dailies every day. That maxes your growth.
  • It's a bit frustrating early on because you want to get a bunch of characters, but if you really focus on building a strong team, they'll open the game for you.
  • Don't hesitate to use ALL your energy every single day. And if you fight a battle a second time, use a SIM if you have it. I was so concerned early on with burning through my credits and SIMs that I hoarded them. No need to do that. They all refill the following day, and by using them you grow faster.
  • These are generally considered some of the best characters in each store, in order of general preference. If you're not sure who to get, get them in this order. But don't let the idea of getting the "best" characters rule your gameplay. It's fun to play with whoever you want and sometimes unique combinations do surprisingly well:

Guild Shipments: Rey, Ewok Elder
    Arena Shipments: ST Han, Princess Leia, Admiral Ackbar
    Galactic War Shipments: Luminara, Captain Phasma, Teebo, Poggle the Lesser, IG-86 (Note: Luminara is best up to about level 75, then Phasma seems to shine more. Ultimately, you'll want both.)
    Cantina Shipments: Qui-Gon Jinn, Daka, Fives, Ahsoka
    Cantina Battles: Geonosian Soldier, Barriss, Count Dooku, Old Ben, Royal Guard, Jedi Consular, Luke Skywalker, Lando Calrissian

Print Wikipost

Old 03-24-16, 10:19 PM   #1076
bippitty

Re: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)

Datamined info says that they're going to celebrate the home release of Force Awakens by giving away Phasma to iOS users and Poe to Android users. Not great since I didn't start soon enough to get Poe and have Phasma at 95/100. I can save one GW shipments and get a few shard shop tokens.
Old 03-24-16, 10:20 PM   #1077
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and I finished at #9 in PVP today and that was a full hour before the deadline due to seeing BvS at 6:00 tonight. I'm already down to #23
Old 03-24-16, 10:21 PM   #1078
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Reparations... I guess that's just shard shop fodder for me with a maxed Phasma now.
Old 03-24-16, 10:21 PM   #1079
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippitty View Post
Datamined info says that they're going to celebrate the home release of Force Awakens by giving away Phasma to iOS users and Poe to Android users. Not great since I didn't start soon enough to get Poe and have Phasma at 95/100. I can save one GW shipments and get a few shard shop tokens.
Celebrate the home release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens by logging-in from March 28th through April 4th and receive Poe Dameron character shards. Log in everyday during the promo to unlock Poe Dameron! Offer limited to United States and Canada only. NOTE: this appears to be google only

Celebrate the imminent release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens by logging-in from March 31st through April 6th and receive Captain Phasma character shards. Log in everyday during the promo to unlock Captain Phasma! Offer limited to United States and Canada only.NOTE: this appears to be apple only

New dark side starter pack, not sure of contents

A rare material used to upgrade character abilities beyond Level 70. This can only be obtained at Level 80 every day by completing all Daily Activities.

Stage 7 of cantina says: Requires Player Level 77 and Stage 6 Completion

Check out Tusken Shamans stats on swgoh.gg: http://swgoh.gg/characters/tusken-shaman/

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 03-24-16, 10:22 PM   #1080
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Great for me as I have Phasma pretty much all the way to 7* and Poe is sitting at 5*. The shards will get him to 50/85 and I'll probably get him up to 6* at some point with the new Turtle Meta coming.

Old 03-25-16, 12:10 PM   #1081
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Does anyone remember what Poe and Phasma unlock at? I think 3* which means they're giving out 50 shards each over the next week or so, correct? If so, that'll be 2.5 purchases from the Shard Shop alone. That's not nothing. I'll be saving those up until I see Vader show his face.
Old 03-25-16, 06:23 PM   #1082
bippitty

I am at 1/50 to unlock Poe. I don't remember Phasma but assume she is 50 also.

News from EA. The level cap raise coming before the combat changes. Either wait to level up or level up with the risk that you leveled up the wrong ones.

Quote:
1. Level 80 cap increase

We’re aiming to have this go live next week. It will also include new stages in the Light, Dark, and Cantina tables, as well as new tiers for Gear and Abilities.

2. Game-wide tuning changes

Last week we announced that some tuning changes would be coming in the near future along with the level 80 cap increase. We’ve decided that additional testing needs to be done with these changes, so they will not be releasing at the same time as the level cap increase. The tuning changes won’t be far behind though, and are planned to go live about two weeks after the level cap increase.
Old 03-25-16, 11:12 PM   #1083
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What gives you the best ROI, in terms of order: train, promote, or gear up? Should I try to do a level max and then promote by a star? Or does it matter?
Old 03-25-16, 11:22 PM   #1084
bippitty

You will end up with the same stats regardless of order. I've read that gear gives more of a boost so if you're only doing one, you might want to pick gear first.
Old 03-26-16, 07:36 AM   #1085
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
You will end up with the same stats regardless of order. I've read that gear gives more of a boost so if you're only doing one, you might want to pick gear first.
I disagree they are all the same. Training past level 60 gives by far the WORST ROI. I would day gear, stars, and then training.

Even a full gear 5* player can be as valuable as a blue geared 7* player.

Old 03-26-16, 05:55 PM   #1086
bippitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
I disagree they are all the same. Training past level 60 gives by far the WORST ROI. I would day gear, stars, and then training.

Even a full gear 5* player can be as valuable as a blue geared 7* player.
I didn't say they were all the same. In fact I said that from what I've read gear gives the biggest boost. If I had to choose because I was short on credits, I would choose gear first, then stars, and finally levels. The end result is the same, though. A 7* level 70 with gear 8 will have the same stats no matter what order you did them in.
Old 03-26-16, 09:55 PM   #1087
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Had to do my PVP run an hour early today, so it wouldn't have stood, but I was #5 with one fight left. I had #1 queued up but when the 10 minute refresh window expired, I had dropped back down to #9. It would have felt so nice to be up there, even for a few minutes.
Old 03-26-16, 09:58 PM   #1088
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I didn't say they were all the same. In fact I said that from what I've read gear gives the biggest boost. If I had to choose because I was short on credits, I would choose gear first, then stars, and finally levels. The end result is the same, though. A 7* level 70 with gear 8 will have the same stats no matter what order you did them in.
His question was what gives the best ROI. It's gear, stars, training.

Old 03-26-16, 10:02 PM   #1089
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

His question was confusing. He meant which order should he do them in. The answer is it's all the same in the end. Individually, yes, gear is better not only for direct influence on power rating, but also because it's the cheapest, assuming you're farming intelligently.
Old 03-27-16, 08:55 AM   #1090
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

I think P has it. But of course you are both right, it's all the same in the end, but resources should be prioritized gear, stars, training.

I had a hell of a time the other day with a bunch of 7 star, max geared 56s against my A team. Had to burn a squad just to change the engagement.

Old 03-27-16, 05:47 PM   #1091
Deadman31
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I purchased 5 shards for Magmatrooper this morning in galactic wars but they were never awarded. I have been trying to find which category to ask for help under, but I don't see anything close to this issue. Has anyone else had this happen?
Old 03-28-16, 07:35 AM   #1092
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Do we know or have an educated guess as to when the level cap update will go live? I'm want to save my free energy and daily rewards for that so as to minimize my time to level 72 for the new challenge tiers.
Old 03-28-16, 09:47 AM   #1093
chase3001
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't they usually update the game on Wednesday or Thursday?
Old 03-28-16, 09:49 AM   #1094
Groucho

I think most (all?) updates thus far have been on Thursday.
Old 03-28-16, 10:23 AM   #1095
Gooter
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who should I focus on for the Yoda event if/when it comes back?

Have:
Lumi 7*, QGJ 6* (none towards 7*), JC 5* (41/85), Mace 5* (15/85), Eeth 5* (0/85), Ahsoka 3* (9/30), Old Ben 4* (0/65)

Ben seems better than Mace so refocused my efforts on getting Ben.
I can get more Eeth shards but started to focus on Asajj.

Thanks
Old 03-28-16, 11:27 AM   #1096
chase3001
DVD Talk Special Edition

A strong 5 Jedi lineup would be Lumi, QGJ, JC, Ahsoka, and Old Ben. It would be better if you could get Barriss, but she can take a while to farm.
Old 03-28-16, 12:13 PM   #1097
Gooter
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Chase. Since Eeth and Mace are already 5*, it may be easier to finish them up than going for Ahsoka.
Old 03-28-16, 12:40 PM   #1098
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Fair warning, I got 7* Yoda with Lumi (L for evasion over heal), QGJ, JC, Mace, and Eeth. It was extremely frustrating, but not impossible.

Beating Yoda is all about picking your battle against his companions. You don't want to go against an Old Ben or a Luminara. You need to take down the healer (unless you're scamming Barriss) and leave a slow/weak opponent while you focus on Yoda. All while using basic attacks that don't try to debuff him because with his tenacity, he will avoid them and when he avoids them, he gets bonus turns.

It's a grind with that 5.
Old 03-28-16, 08:51 PM   #1099
bippitty

EA_Jesse says they're aiming to do the level cap increase this Thursday.
Old 03-28-16, 09:40 PM   #1100
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Sweet. At least I know to play normally until then. Make sure you don't redeem your Thursday daily activities until after the increase hits and try to have maximum energy in both Cantina and regular then too.