Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-01-16, 07:10 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JuryDuty
Tips for new players:
  • Unless you're into spending money, don't ever buy data packs (except the first Chromium--it guarantees you a character; you buy it with crystals).
  • Once in a great while you'll get a character from a daily pack, or shards, but 45% of the characters you get will be from the various stores in the game. You can only see 1-2 when you start (Cantina and Squad Arena), but eventually you'll see another 3 or so, and they'll keep you busy grabbing character shards. The other 45% of the characters you get will be from doing hard battles...one shard at a time.
  • At the start, you really just need to keep plugging away at what you know to do. The game is great at opening up new areas when you're about ready for them. Don't even be that concerned about which characters are the "right ones." For instance, you'll probably continue to use Clone Wars Chewbacca for a while...but you'll likely abandon him by level 60 or so in favor of other characters.
  • I do highly recommend doing nothing in the Cantina except getting GS shards (Battle 1-A). Just do it over and over again until he's 7*. I camped there until he was done and then started doing more cantina battles. You'll use him way into the end game. Do one Cantina refresh every day (100 crystals).
  • In the Squad Arena (PvP), ST Han and Leia are both great choices. Again, I'd just keep farming them until they were maxed, then move on.
  • Other than that, keep doing the Light and Dark side battles. (Refresh twice each day (50 crystals each)). Right now you can just try to get through the levels, but eventually you'll want each one three stars because you'll go back to them countless times to get specific character shards so you can get a character, or to get equipment parts to make them stronger. By the way, equipment (those green pluses) make a HUGE difference--more than anything!
  • Be sure to get through your Dailies every day. That maxes your growth.
  • It's a bit frustrating early on because you want to get a bunch of characters, but if you really focus on building a strong team, they'll open the game for you.
  • Don't hesitate to use ALL your energy every single day. And if you fight a battle a second time, use a SIM if you have it. I was so concerned early on with burning through my credits and SIMs that I hoarded them. No need to do that. They all refill the following day, and by using them you grow faster.
  • These are generally considered some of the best characters in each store, in order of general preference. If you're not sure who to get, get them in this order. But don't let the idea of getting the "best" characters rule your gameplay. It's fun to play with whoever you want and sometimes unique combinations do surprisingly well:

Guild Shipments: Rey, Ewok Elder
    Arena Shipments: ST Han, Princess Leia, Admiral Ackbar
    Galactic War Shipments: Luminara, Captain Phasma, Teebo, Poggle the Lesser, IG-86 (Note: Luminara is best up to about level 75, then Phasma seems to shine more. Ultimately, you'll want both.)
    Cantina Shipments: Qui-Gon Jinn, Daka, Fives, Ahsoka
    Cantina Battles: Geonosian Soldier, Barriss, Count Dooku, Old Ben, Royal Guard, Jedi Consular, Luke Skywalker, Lando Calrissian

Print Wikipost

Old 03-17-16, 09:15 AM   #1026
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
And Android got Phasma.
Yup. And for months Poe was the absolute meta of this game. He's still super valuable now. Phasma is great...when she is on AI in GW and procs her assist 50% of the time. The only reason I'm continuing to use GW tokens on her is because she's 95% done as it is and I may as well max her in case FO ever becomes relevant again. But Poe is clearly superior to Phasma. So IOS won on that.

Don't blame EA/CG because Apple did not want to do a promotion for its customers. They could have. But they are apple and don't give shit about that sort of thing.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 03-17-16, 09:34 AM   #1027
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

When you're facing Yoda, don't try to inflict negative status effects. He and his team will invariably avoid them and gain turn meter from doing so.
Old 03-17-16, 12:20 PM   #1028
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
When you're facing Yoda, don't try to inflict negative status effects. He and his team will invariably avoid them and gain turn meter from doing so.
Yeah, the common advice on the forums is to just use standard attacks against him.

Old 03-18-16, 08:32 AM   #1029
Deadman31
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So I maxed at level 70. Does anyone know what happens to any XP you gain at this point? Are they just lost?
Old 03-18-16, 08:33 AM   #1030
Groucho

It's just lost.
Old 03-18-16, 08:40 AM   #1031
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forever...

Old 03-18-16, 10:21 AM   #1032
Deadman31
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
It's just lost.

Kind of what I figured. So what is there to really do after this point?
Old 03-18-16, 10:29 AM   #1033
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
I am so strapped for credits. I can't level anyone up, it's just a standstill for the first time of my playing. I may have to end up using crystals to get credits, but I don't like it.
You know, if you would just remember to do your best to finish Galactic War every day, you'd get tons of credits. Maybe you just forgot to do that the last few days and so if you suddenly remember today...
Old 03-18-16, 10:36 AM   #1034
Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Kind of what I figured. So what is there to really do after this point?
It's actually a good place to do since you can now max out your team in preparation for the next level cap adjustment.
Old 03-18-16, 07:28 PM   #1035
bippitty

Community update on the official forum says that the level cap is going up in a few weeks. They will also be making some other changes.

Quote:
2. Game-wide tuning changes

a. Related to the level 80 cap increase, we are making some significant changes to the combat tuning.

The goal is to mitigate (but not entirely eliminate) situations where characters can be killed before they’ve had any chance to act.

b. Defense will now be more significant in the battle

c. Speed will now be important in calibration of a character’s damage output. Generally speaking, faster acting characters will see a damage reduction and slower characters will see an increase.

d. The “Advantage” ability is changing. It will now be a guaranteed critical hit for a single action.

e. All characters will now gain a new mechanic (working name: “Fortitude”), which will be activated at a certain point in characters’ progression. This will act as another layer of health which needs to be exhausted by opponents before the character starts losing their health. Current healers will not replenish Fortitude. We may add characters and abilities in the future which will act on, around, with, etc. Fortitude.
Old 03-18-16, 08:41 PM   #1036
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

I'm for anything that will increase team diversity. Speaking of which, I'm halfway to unlocking Chief Chirpa and I think I want to see what an Ewok team can do.
Old 03-19-16, 12:57 AM   #1037
bippitty

Too many changes. I'm still in the middle of trying to ramp up for Yoda. Still trying to build up some secondary characters for Galactic War. The level cap is going up. On top of that, I may need to replace my arena squad.

Depending on how fortitude works, Galactic War may ramp up in difficulty. Currently, I can make it through with my main squad while burning off a few secondaries for the stronger enemies. If fortitude doesn't replenish, that main squad may not be able to make it halfway any more.
Old 03-19-16, 08:34 AM   #1038
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guarantee they absolutely fuck up the balance in this game worse than it already is.
Old 03-19-16, 01:42 PM   #1039
JuryDuty
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippitty View Post
Community update on the official forum says that the level cap is going up in a few weeks. They will also be making some other changes.
I'm all for this, but as someone still building my initial team, I'm concerned my main team will now be not as effective. Sigh.

Proud winner of DVDTalk Survivor Game: Round 4 and DVDTalk Amazing Race Game: Round 7 and Round 8

"24" eats unlikely for breakfast with the whole day left to explore absurd and preposterous. Please accept this before watching the next episode. -- MikahC
Old 03-20-16, 03:43 PM   #1040
bippitty

6/6 Royal Guard shards today.
Old 03-20-16, 04:11 PM   #1041
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippitty View Post
6/6 Royal Guard shards today.
I'm collecting RG shards only to get him to 3* since he's at 19/25 just based on bronze pulls. I do not imagine that RG will be the meta as he is now forever. He's just a useless toon the devs decided to make relevant for a bit to convince the whales to spend on something until the cap rises and new game nodes are opened. After that, he'll be nothing again.

It's kind of sad that in this game a guy like Darth Maul is significantly weaker than a generic Royal Guard. In fairness you could say the same about GS.

Old 03-20-16, 10:10 PM   #1042
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

I never saw a RG get sliced in half in a movie.
Old 03-21-16, 12:02 AM   #1043
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Also, to further prove my point that all RG is is a massive cash grab, he has been in 3/4, if not all, of my shipments since his buff. Not giving in to it though.

Old 03-21-16, 02:16 AM   #1044
bippitty

RG is a wizard at the tank challenge. I've done very little to upgrade him so his health is low. If I can manage to keep him alive to reach the last stage, he stuns Mace Windu fairly regularly. Sometimes keeps him stunned the entire time.
Old 03-21-16, 11:05 AM   #1045
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

I've stopped spending crystals on refreshes right now but will instead go whole-hog after the level cap increases. 300/day in Cantina and 200/day in regular all to hit the new tiers and new cap more quickly. I just hope it comes sooner than later.
Old 03-21-16, 02:46 PM   #1046
Rob V
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have roughly 2500 crystals... is my best bet to buy the big bundle Chromium Mega Pack or individual character shards? Also, I hate that I'm so addicted to this game. It's nonsense and shallow but fun nonsense.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 03-21-16, 02:54 PM   #1047
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Neither. You use crystals for energy refreshes that you use to farm gear and shards.

Chromium only leads you to buy more chromium when it gives you chromium-exclusive characters that will otherwise be stuck at 4*.

The character shards in shipments are 50/shard. This is a rip-off if you can farm that character elsewhere because 50 crystals will get you far more energy and chances for those shards + droids and credits and XP and gear.
Old 03-21-16, 03:23 PM   #1048
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
I have roughly 2500 crystals... is my best bet to buy the big bundle Chromium Mega Pack or individual character shards? Also, I hate that I'm so addicted to this game. It's nonsense and shallow but fun nonsense.
Never buy chromium packs unless you are prepared to buy $1k worth of them. I'm serious.

Old 03-21-16, 07:55 PM   #1049
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep, just say no to Chromium packs!
Old 03-21-16, 09:13 PM   #1050
Imprint

Refresh the Cantina once or twice a day (1st refresh costs 100 crystals, 2nd refresh costs 200 crystals). Refresh the Light and/or Dark Side battles once or twice a day (the first two refreshes are 50 crystals each; refresh when you don't have enough energy to start another battle. don't refresh a hard node after the third battle).