Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-01-16, 07:10 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JuryDuty
Tips for new players:
  • Unless you're into spending money, don't ever buy data packs (except the first Chromium--it guarantees you a character; you buy it with crystals).
  • Once in a great while you'll get a character from a daily pack, or shards, but 45% of the characters you get will be from the various stores in the game. You can only see 1-2 when you start (Cantina and Squad Arena), but eventually you'll see another 3 or so, and they'll keep you busy grabbing character shards. The other 45% of the characters you get will be from doing hard battles...one shard at a time.
  • At the start, you really just need to keep plugging away at what you know to do. The game is great at opening up new areas when you're about ready for them. Don't even be that concerned about which characters are the "right ones." For instance, you'll probably continue to use Clone Wars Chewbacca for a while...but you'll likely abandon him by level 60 or so in favor of other characters.
  • I do highly recommend doing nothing in the Cantina except getting GS shards (Battle 1-A). Just do it over and over again until he's 7*. I camped there until he was done and then started doing more cantina battles. You'll use him way into the end game. Do one Cantina refresh every day (100 crystals).
  • In the Squad Arena (PvP), ST Han and Leia are both great choices. Again, I'd just keep farming them until they were maxed, then move on.
  • Other than that, keep doing the Light and Dark side battles. (Refresh twice each day (50 crystals each)). Right now you can just try to get through the levels, but eventually you'll want each one three stars because you'll go back to them countless times to get specific character shards so you can get a character, or to get equipment parts to make them stronger. By the way, equipment (those green pluses) make a HUGE difference--more than anything!
  • Be sure to get through your Dailies every day. That maxes your growth.
  • It's a bit frustrating early on because you want to get a bunch of characters, but if you really focus on building a strong team, they'll open the game for you.
  • Don't hesitate to use ALL your energy every single day. And if you fight a battle a second time, use a SIM if you have it. I was so concerned early on with burning through my credits and SIMs that I hoarded them. No need to do that. They all refill the following day, and by using them you grow faster.
  • These are generally considered some of the best characters in each store, in order of general preference. If you're not sure who to get, get them in this order. But don't let the idea of getting the "best" characters rule your gameplay. It's fun to play with whoever you want and sometimes unique combinations do surprisingly well:

Guild Shipments: Rey, Ewok Elder
    Arena Shipments: ST Han, Princess Leia, Admiral Ackbar
    Galactic War Shipments: Luminara, Captain Phasma, Teebo, Poggle the Lesser, IG-86 (Note: Luminara is best up to about level 75, then Phasma seems to shine more. Ultimately, you'll want both.)
    Cantina Shipments: Qui-Gon Jinn, Daka, Fives, Ahsoka
    Cantina Battles: Geonosian Soldier, Barriss, Count Dooku, Old Ben, Royal Guard, Jedi Consular, Luke Skywalker, Lando Calrissian

Print Wikipost

Old 03-14-16, 03:38 PM   #976
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)

Cool about Old Ben, too bad I have no need for another Jedi at this time, especially starting from scratch!

Do wish they'd mention something about another character promotion achievement for Vader shards. I have several ready to go!
Old 03-14-16, 03:38 PM   #977
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

I was coming to post that because SOMEONE told me they didn't read the official forums (read - you poophead).

Anyway, the most interesting news is that Old Ben is now farmable. I would have thought Leia would be first (or you know, any darkside character) but the race is now on for F2P to get him. This is another reason why I'm going to continue to farm Ventress, she is the perfect foil for Old Ben. I also don't really need another Jedi at this point and will continue working on Dooku as well. If I see a team of Old Ben/Yoda, they are getting Sid, Ventress, and Dooku thrown at them, plus PTL and 88. Destruction, terror, and mayhem.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 03-14-16, 03:42 PM   #978
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

I don't. I saw it on the ever-so-annoying FB group in my feed.
Old 03-14-16, 03:51 PM   #979
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

I always knew they would buff Ashoka and now I kind of wish I had farmed her instead of Mace. But I already had like 20 Mace shards for some reason so it made sense to do him. She's still very slow, even with QGJ boost, and I think they will continue to work on Mace since the forums want them to badly.

I'm a little burned out on Jedi right now so this news doesn't really excite me all that much TBH.

I'm with you Pinata. Where are the chances to get more Vadar shards? At least add him to a hard node so we can move up a little quicker.

Old 03-14-16, 04:09 PM   #980
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

I get him being exclusive, but now that they restored his 6* and 7* forms and got rid of whatever exploit people were using, they need to step up and let the diehards put in the time to progress him.
Old 03-14-16, 04:36 PM   #981
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
I get him being exclusive, but now that they restored his 6* and 7* forms and got rid of whatever exploit people were using, they need to step up and let the diehards put in the time to progress him.
The highest I've known anyone to get to is 27/85 and they report there are no more achievements to achieve.

I think ultimately he gets added to a cantina node but I would like to see an event similar to Yoda to get him up to 7*.

Old 03-14-16, 06:12 PM   #982
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

If that's the case, then I suppose it's safe for me to start promoting. I didn't realize they'd all run out.
Old 03-14-16, 07:46 PM   #983
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
What is your team comp (levels and gear too)?
Lumi Lvl 66 6*
Poe Lvl 64 5*
JC Lvl 65 6*
Sidious Lvl 67 6*
GS Lvl 65 6*

Everyone has purple gear. Best I can do is pretty much around 500, but I get bumped out quick. Something changed in the last couple of weeks. Previously I was flirting with top 100, and I wouldn't need to do more than my 3 daily (and not even win much) to stay in that area, now I shift up 100+ spots a day, way more if I manage to get into the 200's (but I think that's impossible now).
Old 03-14-16, 11:06 PM   #984
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

So pretty

Old 03-15-16, 12:17 AM   #985
story
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The developers didn't take Daylight Savings Time into account so there's no midnight reset?! Bizarre.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.star...s-also-changed
Old 03-15-16, 06:59 AM   #986
mh4268
DVD Talk Special Edition

So there is no new character in the squad awards correct? I guess I ll be going for either Han or Ventress. Now my concern is wheteher to keep boosting JC from cantina or go for Ben. He's currently 5* 28/85 or just go to Ben. Ahsoka will be the next person I use cantina awards for. Next Yoda cycle I maybe able to go for him.
Old 03-15-16, 09:41 AM   #987
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh4268 View Post
So there is no new character in the squad awards correct? I guess I ll be going for either Han or Ventress. Now my concern is wheteher to keep boosting JC from cantina or go for Ben. He's currently 5* 28/85 or just go to Ben. Ahsoka will be the next person I use cantina awards for. Next Yoda cycle I maybe able to go for him.
Ben can't heal anyone and will always go after Yoda. Use Battle Meditation from Yoda and Ben's Mind Trick is useless. JC has the most reliable heal in the game. You definitely want him up to at least 6* or GW will get to be impossible.

Old 03-15-16, 09:42 AM   #988
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by story View Post
The developers didn't take Daylight Savings Time into account so there's no midnight reset?! Bizarre.

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.star...s-also-changed
No, that's incorrect. The game is based on UTC which does not recognize DST. The game is global.

Old 03-15-16, 09:44 AM   #989
JuryDuty
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
So pretty
So cool. Is this essentially the Yoda Effect?

Proud winner of DVDTalk Survivor Game: Round 4 and DVDTalk Amazing Race Game: Round 7, Round 8, and Round 13
Old 03-15-16, 09:45 AM   #990
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Lumi Lvl 66 6*
Poe Lvl 64 5*
JC Lvl 65 6*
Sidious Lvl 67 6*
GS Lvl 65 6*

Everyone has purple gear. Best I can do is pretty much around 500, but I get bumped out quick. Something changed in the last couple of weeks. Previously I was flirting with top 100, and I wouldn't need to do more than my 3 daily (and not even win much) to stay in that area, now I shift up 100+ spots a day, way more if I manage to get into the 200's (but I think that's impossible now).
Are you on a mature server?

I will say though that team doesn't scare me at all. You only have one assist caller, no speed boosts, a very weak character defensively in JC and Poe is gone in 1 round. You need to make yourself less attractive to hit. QGJ is the easiest way to do that.

Old 03-15-16, 09:51 AM   #991
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuryDuty View Post
So cool. Is this essentially the Yoda Effect?
Yeah, this is after he gains foresight, steals opponents buffs, and passes everything he has to the team. You can't guarantee you can even keep foresight to his next turn, let alone a huge cascade like this. It helped that Phasma's Victory March sped everyone up so Yoda could go again quickly.
Old 03-15-16, 09:54 AM   #992
JuryDuty
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Yeah, this is after he gains foresight, steals opponents buffs, and passes everything he has to the team. You can't guarantee you can even keep foresight to his next turn, let alone a huge cascade like this. It helped that Phasma's Victory March sped everyone up so Yoda could go again quickly.
That's awesome. But the real question is, did you win?

Proud winner of DVDTalk Survivor Game: Round 4 and DVDTalk Amazing Race Game: Round 7, Round 8, and Round 13
Old 03-15-16, 09:58 AM   #993
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

It was a nail-biter!
Old 03-15-16, 11:57 AM   #994
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Are you on a mature server?

I will say though that team doesn't scare me at all. You only have one assist caller, no speed boosts, a very weak character defensively in JC and Poe is gone in 1 round. You need to make yourself less attractive to hit. QGJ is the easiest way to do that.
No idea about the server. You got a point, my team is pretty standard. I do have quite a few other characters at 5-6*, and I'm working on Han now. I just won't have the training droids or the money to level them up.

Any suggestions for who to replace? Here are some of my other characters that aren't quite as built up:
Old Daka Lvl 64 4*
Mace Lvl 58 6*
QGJ Lvl 61 5*
Phasma Lvl 52 6*
Yoda Lvl 33 5*
I'm at 20/50 for Han.
Old 03-15-16, 12:07 PM   #995
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

You don't need two healers in GW, typically. Definitely drop JC. Daka is okay because her primary role isn't healer, but stunner and reviver.

QGJ is a game-changer. Especially as leader with top-level skill. He makes everyone faster, not just Jedi (unless they fixed that and i missed it?).
Old 03-15-16, 01:07 PM   #996
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
No idea about the server. You got a point, my team is pretty standard. I do have quite a few other characters at 5-6*, and I'm working on Han now. I just won't have the training droids or the money to level them up.

Any suggestions for who to replace? Here are some of my other characters that aren't quite as built up:
Old Daka Lvl 64 4*
Mace Lvl 58 6*
QGJ Lvl 61 5*
Phasma Lvl 52 6*
Yoda Lvl 33 5*
I'm at 20/50 for Han.
I have no idea why you are farming Phasma from GW and Han from Arena with Lumi/Sid at only 6* each. You need to raise both to 7* pronto. All cantina resources should be going to QGJ to get him to 6* and if you want to get Daka to 5* before returning to Jin for 7* I could get with that.

Old 03-15-16, 01:09 PM   #997
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Edit - Up above I said "You don't need two healers in GW". That's false. What I meant was "You don't need two healers in Arena", which is what we were talking about. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-15-16, 01:39 PM   #998
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Edit - Up above I said "You don't need two healers in GW". That's false. What I meant was "You don't need two healers in Arena", which is what we were talking about. Sorry for the confusion.
Truth be told I'm not sure you really need any healers for Arena. If you are a DPS team you may not have any. I routinely see Phasma, Kylo, QGJ, GS and Dooku teams and there isn't a healer in the bunch.

Old 03-15-16, 02:15 PM   #999
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I have no idea why you are farming Phasma from GW and Han from Arena with Lumi/Sid at only 6* each. You need to raise both to 7* pronto. All cantina resources should be going to QGJ to get him to 6* and if you want to get Daka to 5* before returning to Jin for 7* I could get with that.
Bah, I just figured that going to 7* wasn't really worth it. I did actually just get JC to 7* though. I guess I should go back to Lumi/Sid? Sid won't be better off replaced with someone else I already have?
Old 03-15-16, 02:16 PM   #1000
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Huh, that's interesting. I've never not run with two healers. I'll have to give it a try.

So, 7* JC or 6* Lumi for Arena?