Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-01-16, 07:10 AM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JuryDuty
Tips for new players:
  • Unless you're into spending money, don't ever buy data packs (except the first Chromium--it guarantees you a character; you buy it with crystals).
  • Once in a great while you'll get a character from a daily pack, or shards, but 45% of the characters you get will be from the various stores in the game. You can only see 1-2 when you start (Cantina and Squad Arena), but eventually you'll see another 3 or so, and they'll keep you busy grabbing character shards. The other 45% of the characters you get will be from doing hard battles...one shard at a time.
  • At the start, you really just need to keep plugging away at what you know to do. The game is great at opening up new areas when you're about ready for them. Don't even be that concerned about which characters are the "right ones." For instance, you'll probably continue to use Clone Wars Chewbacca for a while...but you'll likely abandon him by level 60 or so in favor of other characters.
  • I do highly recommend doing nothing in the Cantina except getting GS shards (Battle 1-A). Just do it over and over again until he's 7*. I camped there until he was done and then started doing more cantina battles. You'll use him way into the end game. Do one Cantina refresh every day (100 crystals).
  • In the Squad Arena (PvP), ST Han and Leia are both great choices. Again, I'd just keep farming them until they were maxed, then move on.
  • Other than that, keep doing the Light and Dark side battles. (Refresh twice each day (50 crystals each)). Right now you can just try to get through the levels, but eventually you'll want each one three stars because you'll go back to them countless times to get specific character shards so you can get a character, or to get equipment parts to make them stronger. By the way, equipment (those green pluses) make a HUGE difference--more than anything!
  • Be sure to get through your Dailies every day. That maxes your growth.
  • It's a bit frustrating early on because you want to get a bunch of characters, but if you really focus on building a strong team, they'll open the game for you.
  • Don't hesitate to use ALL your energy every single day. And if you fight a battle a second time, use a SIM if you have it. I was so concerned early on with burning through my credits and SIMs that I hoarded them. No need to do that. They all refill the following day, and by using them you grow faster.
  • These are generally considered some of the best characters in each store, in order of general preference. If you're not sure who to get, get them in this order. But don't let the idea of getting the "best" characters rule your gameplay. It's fun to play with whoever you want and sometimes unique combinations do surprisingly well:

Guild Shipments: Rey, Ewok Elder
    Arena Shipments: ST Han, Princess Leia, Admiral Ackbar
    Galactic War Shipments: Luminara, Captain Phasma, Teebo, Poggle the Lesser, IG-86 (Note: Luminara is best up to about level 75, then Phasma seems to shine more. Ultimately, you'll want both.)
    Cantina Shipments: Qui-Gon Jinn, Daka, Fives, Ahsoka
    Cantina Battles: Geonosian Soldier, Barriss, Count Dooku, Old Ben, Royal Guard, Jedi Consular, Luke Skywalker, Lando Calrissian

Print Wikipost

Old 01-10-16, 09:17 PM   #76
Obey The D
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (iOS & Android)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooter View Post
I feel the same way. I'm about to stop playing. I'm out of training droids, can't get anywhere in squad arena, hitting a wall in pvp, etc. I don't know how you guys managed to get so far and get the good heroes.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 01-10-16, 09:19 PM   #77
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Things have slowed, but I never thought things are unattainable. Are you doing everything every day? Are you simming battles you have 3* on? That's essential for farming.

Squad Arena is all about refreshing until you find a low power/level team and knowing who to target first.

Focus on some characters, don't try to keep every character maxed.
Old 01-10-16, 09:37 PM   #78
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinata242 View Post
Things have slowed, but I never thought things are unattainable. Are you doing everything every day? Are you simming battles you have 3* on? That's essential for farming.

Squad Arena is all about refreshing until you find a low power/level team and knowing who to target first.

Focus on some characters, don't try to keep every character maxed.
Yeah, sure. I mean I've only been playing the game like three days, but the pacing just seems really slow. Hell I'll sim some of those hard missions 3 times and not even get a single shard. Not to mention it takes several hours to regain all my energy. The grind just seems really high in this game compared to Marvel Heroes (what I previously played), and MPQ, and I've only just started.
Old 01-10-16, 10:00 PM   #79
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Sure, but you could maximize your day in a couple of minutes across 24 hours. It isn't a constant chore like MPQ. Yet.

I am right at a full month and I'm almost max level with several decent characters. I was here when they gave away Poe/Phasma so that was a nice bonus.

I will buy my first 8x Chromium pack on Tuesday probably and that will let me know what to expect if I ever decide to drop $20 in the future. I think I ended up giving MPQ $60 all told and then I quit almost immediately.
Old 01-10-16, 10:33 PM   #80
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

My 2,000,000 credits needs a new bad ass to level up. There's literally no other use for that, right? Clearly I make more than I can spend on levels/skills/crafting/shipments.
Old 01-10-16, 10:37 PM   #81
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Yay! I made it far enough to get ally codes. I've gone ahead and added everyone listed in the OP. My code is 129-292-555 and my in game name is Bur Verado.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 01-11-16, 09:42 AM   #82
chase3001
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
My 2,000,000 credits needs a new bad ass to level up. There's literally no other use for that, right? Clearly I make more than I can spend on levels/skills/crafting/shipments.
Credits can only be used for training and promoting characters, as well as purchasing the items in the shipments. If you have 2M to spare, you should probably upgrade another character.

I also thought to include my max level roster, for anyone who might be interested. I am a F2P player.

Last edited by chase3001; 01-11-16 at 09:58 AM..
Old 01-11-16, 09:49 AM   #83
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

But I don't have shards to do that. I don't have training droids to level anyone either.
Old 01-11-16, 10:03 AM   #84
Obey The D
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
But I don't have shards to do that. I don't have training droids to level anyone either.
Are you doing the challenges? They have one that awards training droids. I just make sure to sim battles that award them as well.

Goat3001: "I like when Ronnie says he has the best girl in Seaside. It's like saying you're dating the smartest girl in Special Ed."
Old 01-11-16, 10:05 AM   #85
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but they get gobbled up as efficiently as possible to my heavy hitters. Soon I'll hit level 60 and they will too which means I'll have droids to spend on the lower guys. I will have Boba soon so that'll use some cash and Luminara will promote to 5* tomorrow as well. 5* Sidious isn't far behind.
Old 01-11-16, 10:06 AM   #86
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe what I need to consider is doing two Keycard battles each day instead of shard & gear farming. But, really, training droids aren't my bottleneck at this point.
Old 01-11-16, 11:07 AM   #87
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

This site has all the information I've been looking for: http://www.swgohcantina.com/

Newbies, take heed!
Old 01-11-16, 12:52 PM   #88
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess the longer you play the quicker you get shards. Does the game just start out kind of slow? I still hate how f'ing slow energy regens though, it's pretty ridiculous. I guess I should get used to just playing it once a day.
Old 01-11-16, 12:54 PM   #89
Gooter
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great find, thanks! Glad I wasted all those droids, credits on Clone Sergeant.
Old 01-11-16, 01:24 PM   #90
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Enjoying this game too. I am Lukiam Urfather.

865-542-757

Just now at L25 but I just started 48 hours ago. I can see where this starts to grind down playing F2P.

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/cwrujosh
Old 01-11-16, 01:45 PM   #91
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

You guys need to step your game up. My allies roster has dropped an average 30-35 levels since I've had to dump randos for you slackers!
Old 01-11-16, 02:32 PM   #92
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
You guys need to step your game up. My allies roster has dropped an average 30-35 levels since I've had to dump randos for you slackers!
I accept iTunes gift cards or Paypal.
Old 01-11-16, 03:21 PM   #93
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm level 30 after 2 days. I don't know if it's possible to level up much faster since I'm constantly at zero with my "energy". The game literally won't let me start any more battles than I already am. Even the sim battles get capped at 3 per location.
Old 01-11-16, 03:24 PM   #94
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

What's the best way to get Luminara? I'm trying not to have to farm 50 shards at 12 energy per. I'll give up on this game long before that.

Old 01-11-16, 03:28 PM   #95
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

Luck into her from a Bronze pack like I did or farm her from Galactic War when you unlock it.
Old 01-11-16, 03:31 PM   #96
pinata242
DVD Talk Hero

She will periodically show up in the regular shipments with 2-3 shards for 100-150 crystals at a time.
Old 01-11-16, 03:49 PM   #97
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What kind of difficulty is the Galactic War? I'm level 34 now, but all my guys are maxed at 34-ish (at best), so if it's against level 40 enemies (when it unlocks) it won't be useful for me for a while.
Old 01-11-16, 03:57 PM   #98
Groucho

it's dynamic, based on your team's level when you start. it starts easy and gets progressively harder.
Old 01-11-16, 04:00 PM   #99
flashburn
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice. Looking forward to that if it means more shards.

I wish there was like a $5 starter pack that included a couple characters. Right now my biggest frustration is that I only have 3 dark side characters, and two of them are garbage (Royal Guard and Snowtrooper).
Old 01-11-16, 04:10 PM   #100
DVD Josh
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Nice. Looking forward to that if it means more shards.

I wish there was like a $5 starter pack that included a couple characters. Right now my biggest frustration is that I only have 3 dark side characters, and two of them are garbage (Royal Guard and Snowtrooper).
I disagree that Royal Guard is garbage at this level. He is a great tank with defensive buffs. But yes, approaching L30 I would like some better Dark Siders to move up. We missed on on the Count Dooku 4.99 pack from new years. I'm confident like all Freemium games, something else will come around.

Sponsored Links