Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NBA 2K16 -- Friday September 25, 2015 (with pre-order)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NBA 2K16 -- Friday September 25, 2015 (with pre-order)

Old 09-28-15, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: NBA 2K16 -- Friday September 25, 2015 (with pre-order)

Originally Posted by DJariya
Played a 6 minute quarters game earlier today. I was the Lakers and I played against the Warriors.

I was playing on Pro level and got smoked 72 to 49. D'Angelo Russell was my leading scorer at 14 points. Kobe had an awful game.

The game is definitely challenging and takes a learning curve. But, the presentation is gorgeous and is almost like watching an actual NBA TV broadcast. I loved the additions of player interviews coming back from "Commercial break" Too bad Chuck Barkley is being a dick about using his likeness. I would love to have seen him on the pregame show portions with Ernie, Shaq and Kenny or even the classic Suns and 76ers teams he was on.
I'm a huge Lakers fan and the games I've played as LA, Kobe absolutely sucks. He can't hit the broad side of a barn. I have mostly played as the 87-88 Lakers and I'm having a blast. It's great to see that team together again on the court even if it's just a video game. It brings back a lot of great memories.
Old 09-28-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Played a 6 minute quarters game earlier today. I was the Lakers and I played against the Warriors.

I was playing on Pro level and got smoked 72 to 49. D'Angelo Russell was my leading scorer at 14 points. Kobe had an awful game.

The game is definitely challenging and takes a learning curve. But, the presentation is gorgeous and is almost like watching an actual NBA TV broadcast. I loved the additions of player interviews coming back from "Commercial break" Too bad Chuck Barkley is being a dick about using his likeness. I would love to have seen him on the pregame show portions with Ernie, Shaq and Kenny or even the classic Suns and 76ers teams he was on.
Well, at least it's realistic. I kid, I kid. I'm sure if Kobe lights it up this season, they'll update his stats in a hurry.

So MyPlayer got drafted to the Heat as a Center. Because I have no VC, and they give you very little (what other modes are there to earn VC?), he's basically overmatched every night. I changed over to 12 minute quarters just so I get some time on the court. I'm not even sure my play in my rookie season does anything, though; as jacob_b said, the storyline doesn't really branch or anything, and you only play 8 games your rookie year so the rest of the stats are simmed. It takes way longer to sit through the cutscenes than to play actual basketball on the court (and as much as I like the post game presentation, in myplayer, unless it's about me I don't care, and they're not skippable).

Also "FREQuency Vibrations?" Ugh. And I have to change the face I made, it's freqing me out in the cutscenes.

I need a MyNBA 2K16 app to get some cheap VC.

I played a little myteam. It's a fun little fantasy mode, though the best card I got was Josh Smith, which tells you how good the team is. The thing I hate about it is that they have contracts that get used whenever you play, so you can't really just play it endlessly; it's the same reason I stopped playing the Madden version (though at least in basketball the rosters are much smaller and more manageable)
Old 09-28-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

You get 10000 VC for pre-ordering the game. The redemption code came in the game.

They're supposed to have a new 2K16 app to get VC daily. It's not out yet though. Hopefully be tomorrow
Old 09-28-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Yup, a few mentions here and there, but that is about it. No long after game cutscenes or anything like that. It is an interesting story, but if we were allowed more say in the decisions (like dropping Vic right away), I think the story mode in it would be sooooo much better. And you got two girlfriends, one in high school and one after lol. And naw, the parents are the best part.
I'm fairly sure they're lying to me about my "fraternal twin" and not being adopted, though... I'm sure in season 10 or so they reveal the sinister motives behind kidnapping me as a baby.
Old 09-29-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Usually I use a PG in MyPlayer, but I wanted to try something different, and I heard the post game was much improved, so I started as a center.

First off, unless you buy VC you're going to pretty much suck your first year. You only play 8 games, and off the bench at that (you don't earn VC for HS or College). And if you make a 7 footer, you'll be super super slow. Unless I sprint back every single time, I won't be able to catch up to the offense. Sometimes my guy will fall down after scoring, and by the time he gets up the other team has scored. The most infuriating thing is when he does this little dancing celebration after he scores, which makes it impossible to get back.

Still, the post moves and inside defense are fun, and the blocking mechanic is pretty cool. Just being big does have it's advantages, just like real life.

I'm so glad year 2 opens up all these new features, after the scripted, story-heavy Spike Lee-directed first season. I have no idea why they thought it was ok to have your player be a free agent after year 1, but it does allow you to choose your team as early as possible. Because of the comments here, I actually turned down the Lakers (who offered minutes but very little money, plus they re-signed Hibbert) and went with the Spurs. It's only a two year contract anyway. Finally we get training back, and other stuff to do on off-days.
Old 09-29-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, at least it's realistic. I kid, I kid. I'm sure if Kobe lights it up this season, they'll update his stats in a hurry.

So MyPlayer got drafted to the Heat as a Center. Because I have no VC, and they give you very little (what other modes are there to earn VC?), he's basically overmatched every night. I changed over to 12 minute quarters just so I get some time on the court. I'm not even sure my play in my rookie season does anything, though; as jacob_b said, the storyline doesn't really branch or anything, and you only play 8 games your rookie year so the rest of the stats are simmed. It takes way longer to sit through the cutscenes than to play actual basketball on the court (and as much as I like the post game presentation, in myplayer, unless it's about me I don't care, and they're not skippable).

Also "FREQuency Vibrations?" Ugh. And I have to change the face I made, it's freqing me out in the cutscenes.

I need a MyNBA 2K16 app to get some cheap VC.

I played a little myteam. It's a fun little fantasy mode, though the best card I got was Josh Smith, which tells you how good the team is. The thing I hate about it is that they have contracts that get used whenever you play, so you can't really just play it endlessly; it's the same reason I stopped playing the Madden version (though at least in basketball the rosters are much smaller and more manageable)
They've had apps to play card games like that lol. So I stay away from it.

I played as a SG and blocks as well as rebounds come easily. Didn't know the post game was improved, though. That's good to note when I just play with friends (instead of just jacking up 3's the entire game). Your rookie stats will be averaged after the 8 games, as I'm sure you noticed, for the full 82. So by the time you hit the 2nd year, you should see some nice VC and then on top of the preorder, you should be able to make a dent. And from there it comes pretty easily to get VC and upgrade.
Old 09-29-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jacob_b
They've had apps to play card games like that lol. So I stay away from it.

I played as a SG and blocks as well as rebounds come easily. Didn't know the post game was improved, though. That's good to note when I just play with friends (instead of just jacking up 3's the entire game). Your rookie stats will be averaged after the 8 games, as I'm sure you noticed, for the full 82. So by the time you hit the 2nd year, you should see some nice VC and then on top of the preorder, you should be able to make a dent. And from there it comes pretty easily to get VC and upgrade.
Maybe I did something wrong. My season averages for year one were very far off from my 8 game stats (I think it said I hit like 50% of my 3 pts, for instance). And I only got VC for my 8 games, so even with really long quarters, after 8 games I didn't really have enough to make my player significantly better (he's still below 65). Plus it seems like they give you a bit of a boost in your first season (they definitely give you a boost in your HS and college games), because now I can't hit free throws to save my life, whereas the first season it was pretty easy.
Old 09-30-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI

The NBA 2K16 app on mobile devices is now available. Like 2K15, this is for getting daily VC.
Old 09-30-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe I did something wrong. My season averages for year one were very far off from my 8 game stats (I think it said I hit like 50% of my 3 pts, for instance). And I only got VC for my 8 games, so even with really long quarters, after 8 games I didn't really have enough to make my player significantly better (he's still below 65). Plus it seems like they give you a bit of a boost in your first season (they definitely give you a boost in your HS and college games), because now I can't hit free throws to save my life, whereas the first season it was pretty easy.
Huh maybe I am wrong? Just took a guess on the stats lol. But damn that sucks. I got my guy pretty good after 10 games and it's been getting better since. The additional VC from pre order was helpful. Never had a problem with free throws but boy do my 3's and contact layups suck. That hurt my game a lot.
Old 09-30-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FYI

The NBA 2K16 app on mobile devices is now available. Like 2K15, this is for getting daily VC.
Can't find it on the ios app store. I also can't find MyNBA 2K15, so either my searching sucks or they removed that in preparation...
Old 09-30-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Can't find it on IOS either, it shows up as MyNBA2K16 on Android though.
Old 09-30-15, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I pre-ordered at Best Buy the Michael Jordan Special Edition of NBA2k16 and was supposed to receive 30,000 VCs, Jordan apparel in the game and some other stuff. After putting the code on the PS4 PSN store last Friday, none of these perks showed up in my game. Anyone knows what's going on? Did 2k Sports screwed up again? Anyone else having the same issues?

By the way, I'm really disappointed so far with the Career Mode done by Spike Lee. The story is boring and annoying, the minutes and competition for the high school and college part too little and the movie segments are painfully awkward. Also, the nickname Freq is simply ridiculous.
Old 09-30-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Can't find it on IOS either, it shows up as MyNBA2K16 on Android though.
I found it earlier on my Android phone. Just found it on IOS as well.

It's labeled as My NBA 2K16
Old 09-30-15, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I pre-ordered at Best Buy the Michael Jordan Special Edition of NBA2k16 and was supposed to receive 30,000 VCs, Jordan apparel in the game and some other stuff. After putting the code on the PS4 PSN store last Friday, none of these perks showed up in my game. Anyone knows what's going on? Did 2k Sports screwed up again? Anyone else having the same issues?

By the way, I'm really disappointed so far with the Career Mode done by Spike Lee. The story is boring and annoying, the minutes and competition for the high school and college part too little and the movie segments are painfully awkward. Also, the nickname Freq is simply ridiculous.
Not the Jordan edition, but the regular pre-order bonus code worked fine for me on XBox. 10,000 VC showed up right away.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-01-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts

I picked this up last night and got through the high school and college part of My Career.

I think the fact I'm white and my sister, parents, and best friend are black is funny as well. I hate the fact everything is set for you. Let me make a few choices (other than choosing my college and high school). The announcing still sucks and has errors (in a college game, they mentioned my team was playing an NBA team the next day). The gameplay is so-so. They really mark you down even more for leaving your assignment or taking bad shots.

I'll probably go through the career mode for a couple seasons and get bored with it like I do every year. I'll give it a 6.8/10 so far.
Old 10-01-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For those that hate the scripting in the first season of Myplayer, try simming to year 2. You can always go back and watch the movie later on the in-game TV (and really, it is a movie, you make two choices early on before you get to your NBA career, and then nothing until your second season).

Year 2, you get to pick your team, change your nickname (though sometimes they will still use "Freq" mostly in the pre-game/post-game stuff, and on your off-days do stuff like endorsements and practice. It's a much different game than the 8 game initial season.

The gameplay is even more sim-like. The last game, you could basically score on every pick and roll and dribble into traffic with few consequences. This time, you have to manage the pick and roll better, driving into traffic is much harder, and centers are slow as heck (I dunno if this is an attempt at more realism, since you can literally run any 7 footer off the court because they're so slow).

It gets easier once you get a hang of it, and, like Madden, most people will forget about some of the features (like a different button for different passes). This really needed more tutorials, or at least an instruction manual; I have no idea how someone new to the series would figure out how to play. And it still seems to have the same rubberbanding logic, and the dumbing down of your teammates on higher difficulties to make it harder.
Old 10-01-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Some sort of tutorial through the high school games would have been great. As someone who hasn't played in a couple years I've had to try and figure out some of the gameplay changes on the fly.

That said, I'm in the middle of my first NBA season but i'm enjoying the gameplay quite a bit. Just sucks that the early career mode is so bad.

The My NBA app showed up later last night, don't really know what i'm doing with these card games but as long as I keep earning VC i'm happy
Old 10-01-15, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Not the Jordan edition, but the regular pre-order bonus code worked fine for me on XBox. 10,000 VC showed up right away.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks!

I still don't have the 30k but it seems that has been a problem with the people who purchased the Jordan edition. I sent an email to 2k and im just waiting right now for their response.
Old 10-02-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NBA 2K16 Hits 4M Sales Milestone in Record Number of Days.

http://ir.take2games.com/phoenix.zht...625&highlight=
Old 01-18-16, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vGY4zVV4tNg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-03-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Makers of NBA2K sued for using players' tattoos without permission.

A company that owns the right to tattoos on NBA players is suing Take-Two Interactive and Visual Concepts, makers of the popular video-game franchise "NBA2K," for graphically representing those tattoos on NBA players without its permission.

Solid Oak Sketches filed suit on Monday in New York federal court, saying that particular tattoos depicted on players in the recent game NBA2K16 was the company's copyrighted work.

The eight infringed-on designs include a child's portrait and script scrolls with clouds and doves on LeBron James' forearms and butterflies on Kobe Bryant's arm.

Solid Oak Sketches got the copyrights to most of the tattoos last year and, as evidenced by exhibits submitted in the lawsuit, had written letters to the video game company to make an arrangement so that the tattoos could be used in the game. Solid Oak offered to Take-Two a license to the tattoos for $1.1 million.

"It's clear that they knew that this was something that was to be negotiated," said Darren Heitner, whose firm, Heitner Legal, is co-representing the plaintiff.

Calls placed to representatives for Take-Two Interactive were not immediately returned.

This is not the first time a tattoo artist has sued a video-game maker for using his work on an athlete without permission. Tattoo artist Victor Escobedo was awarded $22,500 for his lion tattoo that was portrayed on UFC fighter Carlos Condit without his permission in THQ's "UFC Undisputed" game. Escobedo had originally asked for $4.1 million.

Worried that they might be party to a lawsuit, the NFL Players Association told players in 2014 that, in order for their tattoos to be represented on merchandise, including video games, they needed to get waivers from the artists.

All of Colin Kaepernick's tattoos were subsequently represented in Electronic Arts' "Madden 15" game when Kaepernick got permission from the two artists who did all the work on his body: Nes Andrion of Endless Ink in Reno, Nevada, and Orly Locquiao of Humble Beginnings in San Jose.

Heitner said it is assumed that, without waivers, the tattoo artist is the owner of the work even if it is put on an athlete's body.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14...ers-permission
Old 02-24-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How Steph Curry Broke The Way Basketball Video Games Are Being Built.

If you grew up playing basketball video games in the 90s and early 2000s, you probably hate cheese. Nah, not the milky protein we Americans put on everything, but the way digital counterparts of elite 3-point shooters can often be abused by gamers. Who hasn’t hit 15 3s in a 20 minute game with Ray Allen on NBA Live 2003? This so-called “3-point cheese” has been a constant frustration for serious gamers, but as basketball games — in particular, the NBA 2K series, the basketball game — have gotten more realistic and advanced, developers have found ways to mitigate player abuse of three-point shooters.

“Scoring in the paint and 3-point shooting have historically been the toughest areas to properly balance,” says Mike Wang, gameplay director of NBA 2K, adding that fighting 3-point cheese is “always on his mind.”

To that end, he and his team have developed a formula to keep 3-point shooting in check. For example, the game accounts for things like the difficulty of shooting off the dribble and volume shooting fatigue — meaning, if you just run around with your player jacking up shot after shot after doing three spin moves, you’re going to be shooting bricks, even if your player has a super high 3-point rating.

“Taking 3s off the dribble are also definitely discouraged in NBA 2K,” Wang adds. “Especially after over-dribbling beforehand.”

The formula, which also incorporates a lot of advanced metrics, has mostly worked, to the point that the last couple of 2K games have received universal praise for its balanced and realistic gameplay (these “rules” to keep digital basketball shooters in check apply to real life basketball playing, after all). I say mostly because there’s dude named Wardell Stephen Curry, whose ability to make insanely difficult 3-pointers has thrown all basketball conventional wisdom out the window.

Curry is hitting, in real life, absurdly long-range three point bombs with regularity. He’s chucking these shots while moving, spinning and jabbing all over the place, often with a defender or two in his face. And these shots have gone in at such a high rate, even the video game version of Curry cannot keep up.

So if you’re a basketball game developer, what do you do? You spend years developing a system that rewards good shot selections and punish players for taking ill-advised long range shots, but the real-life Steph is taking and making these supposedly terrible shots. If Wang and his team allow digital Steph to do these moves (meaning, take 25-foot bombs off the dribble) in the game without check, then that would just open the door for cheese again.

So yeah, Steph has the 2K guys somewhat stumped for now.

“To be completely honest, we are still looking for ways to better translate his game into NBA 2K,” says Wang. “He’s a ‘rule breaker’ when it comes to jump shooting … he becomes a problem in the video game world where we’ve been trying to train our gamers [to know] that certain types of shots should be rewarded versus others.”

Wang says they’ve already tweaked the gameplay a bit to give digital Curry a bit more leeway in the jacking-3s department, but they still want to discourage “over-dribbling hero ball.”

The 2K team have found the balance for just about all the other 449 players in the league, except one, who’s like a glitch in the system. Until they figure that out, Curry will be the one guy whose video game counterpart is less dynamic than the real-life version. In a way, video game Steph is the realistic basketball player, while real-life Steph is the super powered avatar.

But the 2K guys are on it, says Wang: “We’re going to have to invest even more time in future iterations to really let Steph be Steph in future versions of NBA 2K.”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin/2.../#5c785fb54112
Old 03-17-16, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i finally got around to play 2k16 and livin da dream is awful. Also I am not sure I like the new team up mode. I preferred when they gave you a random team and position. Now I just hope I get the West so I can use Yao lol
Old 03-17-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Once you get past the first scripted year, which is thankfully only a few games (which completely messes up your rookie year stats, but whatever), the mode reverts to "normal." I appreciate what they tried here but it was truly awful.
Old 03-18-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you get past the first scripted year, which is thankfully only a few games (which completely messes up your rookie year stats, but whatever), the mode reverts to "normal." I appreciate what they tried here but it was truly awful.
I played through the rookie year and quit. I didn't use any VC so I am going to start over once I fix my guys face as he reminds me of shrek. I hope I can skip the cutscenes...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.