Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

NBA 2K16 -- Friday September 25, 2015 (with pre-order)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NBA 2K16 -- Friday September 25, 2015 (with pre-order)

Old 09-11-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: NBA 2K16 -- Friday September 25, 2015 (with pre-order)

Originally Posted by fujishig
I love Amazon as much as the next guy, but why not get it at Best Buy?

The free shipping (for anything over $35 bucks) says it'll get it to you by Friday.
There's a $10 bonus credit you get as a mybestbuy member (free)
If you have GCU, you get 20% off all games (30 bucks for 2 years of it. May not be worth it if you only buy a few games a year and never new)
I just saw Amazon listed on this thread. So if you get it at Best Buy, you get it on Friday? I'll be all over that.
Old 09-11-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 271 Likes on 174 Posts

I haven't bought a NBA 2K game in 3 years. May break that streak with this one.
Old 09-11-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Seems like any preorder should be available on Friday, at least from all the stores i've seen. Even my Microsoft Store order mentioned the Friday delivery.
Old 09-12-15, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just preordered at Game Stop. Was a bit more than other places, but allows you to pick it up at 12:01 AM Eastern time, which means since I'm in Cali, I can get it Thursday at 9:01 PM.
Old 09-13-15, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

A) I thought most Gamestops closed at 9pm
B) they'll really break street date because of time zones? I doubt they're having a midnight release for this, so they won't sell it on the east coast until stores open, right?
Old 09-13-15, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

A) I thought most Gamestops closed at 9pm
B) they'll really break street date because of time zones? I doubt they're having a midnight release for this, so they won't sell it on the east coast until stores open, right?
Yeah all the Gamestops within a 5 mile radius of me close at 8 or 9pm. Doesn't make any sense for them to sell this on Thursday at 9pm when they are closing up. The employees aren't going to hang around. This isn't a special enough or fanatical enough game to warrant a Midnight opening either.
Old 09-14-15, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's special enough at the store by me that they are setting up the game at like 5 PM my time to play and doing other things. They already got the OK to do it and have their store stay open. Hell, I remember the Super Street Fighter IV game that game out a while back got a midnight release and Game Stops stayed open for that. NBA 2K15 shipped over 7 million units as of last month while Street Fighter did maybe 2. All I know, I get my hands on the game at 9:01 PM PST so it works out for me.
Old 09-14-15, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has 2K fixed online play yet or is it still crappy like it was in 2k13? I bought 2k14 but never played it so I skipped 2k16. I might pick up 2k16 though since Yao and T-mac are in it.
Old 09-14-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_gTSmUB3_mI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-24-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z8BZGPCOzp8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-24-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts

I buy this game every year but I might hold off til there's a sale this time. I barely have enough time for Madden and NHL.
Old 09-24-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts

Hopefully Best Buy runs a B2G1F sale soon. That's a crazy deal with GCU factored in as well.
Old 09-24-15, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 09-24-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Coming tomorrow from Amazon for me.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a few hours worth of play this weekend
Old 09-25-15, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yuck, not a fan of MyCareer so far. 2 min quarters for high school (3 games) which you basically destroy everyone and then 4 games (6 min halfs) for college. LOTS of talking, backstory, etc. that you expect out of Spike Lee (and on the Facebook page, lots of hate that even if you are a white, Mexican, Asian character, your biological sister, mom, and dad are black, which isn't an issue for me, but funny to read). What IS an issue is sitting through at least a good five minutes of pros and cons about staying in college or leaving and you don't even get to make a decision. And your first press conference everything is set, you make no choices. Finished my 1st NBA game and shows I think 5 or 7 games left. Not sure if this is preseason or what??? And got drafted by the Celtics, which is funny as that is the team I picked as my favorite when making the player.

I'll blow through the first stack of NBA games just to see if it is preseason or season games before making a decision to even keep this. So far, just not too impressed at all. I like being able to at least give a no/yes to things and outside of picking the college, haven't had any say at all.
Old 09-25-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if my Microsoft Store order will arrive today like the website said it would. Past orders i'd at least see a shipping notice day of.
Old 09-25-15, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So far still installing, so I've only been able to play the default game on the horrid default cams, but it's very very different from the last game. I don't even know how to call a pick and roll, that button seems to do something completely different. You can tell a lot of work went into the on-court animations, though.
Old 09-25-15, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Got my copy, just did a quick game. Looks pretty good, although I never played last year so this is my first current gen look at the series so seeing the menu and UI here is a lot better then it was a couple years ago when I last played 2K13. I'm happy the camera angle is from the sideline versus behind the player which I always had to change in previous years. Looking forward to messing with the career mode.
Old 09-26-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Trying the career stuff, just getting to college. The story stuff is terrible though, it's funny that this is supposed to be a selling point. Doesn't help that my player isn't exactly black but that's what race my sister apparently is. I don't recall setting a nick name when creating a character, do they just make one up for you at the start?
Old 09-26-15, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Trying the career stuff, just getting to college. The story stuff is terrible though, it's funny that this is supposed to be a selling point. Doesn't help that my player isn't exactly black but that's what race my sister apparently is. I don't recall setting a nick name when creating a character, do they just make one up for you at the start?
Yup for storyline purposes, you will be called Freq. I finished the godawful storyline FINALLY and then
Spoiler:
you find out Vic dies and it's a storypoint for your "second" year as it is always brought up. FU Spike Lee.

You can change your nickname in your "second year" but depending on who is talking, Freq will be mentioned. I'm just glad to be done with those damn cutscenes. Once you can actually get done with the first NBA year, it does get good.
Old 09-27-15, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts

They really put in some work this year because this is a much improved game both graphically and gameplay wise. Really liking what I have played so far.
The controls are different so that will take some getting used to. I like how you can now do different types of passes depending on which button you use, kind of reminds me of the new catching options in Madden.
Old 09-28-15, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Yup for storyline purposes, you will be called Freq. I finished the godawful storyline FINALLY and then
Spoiler:
you find out Vic dies and it's a storypoint for your "second" year as it is always brought up. FU Spike Lee.

You can change your nickname in your "second year" but depending on who is talking, Freq will be mentioned. I'm just glad to be done with those damn cutscenes. Once you can actually get done with the first NBA year, it does get good.
Wait so the storyline stuff tones down after the first year? Because I have no idea who wants endless cutscenes in a basketball game, but it's not me. The storyline is so cliche too. I just want to play an 82 game season with my created player, with stat tracking.

It doesn't help that I feel like I want to punch every character in the face. The college recruiters, the agent, the owner who basically just threatened me, the best friend, the twin sister, the gold digger girlfriend, I hate them all. The parents are pretty likable but I'm awaiting some big twist where they turn out to be terrible people as well.
Old 09-28-15, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Played a 6 minute quarters game earlier today. I was the Lakers and I played against the Warriors.

I was playing on Pro level and got smoked 72 to 49. D'Angelo Russell was my leading scorer at 14 points. Kobe had an awful game.

The game is definitely challenging and takes a learning curve. But, the presentation is gorgeous and is almost like watching an actual NBA TV broadcast. I loved the additions of player interviews coming back from "Commercial break" Too bad Chuck Barkley is being a dick about using his likeness. I would love to have seen him on the pregame show portions with Ernie, Shaq and Kenny or even the classic Suns and 76ers teams he was on.
Old 09-28-15, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wait so the storyline stuff tones down after the first year? Because I have no idea who wants endless cutscenes in a basketball game, but it's not me. The storyline is so cliche too. I just want to play an 82 game season with my created player, with stat tracking.

It doesn't help that I feel like I want to punch every character in the face. The college recruiters, the agent, the owner who basically just threatened me, the best friend, the twin sister, the gold digger girlfriend, I hate them all. The parents are pretty likable but I'm awaiting some big twist where they turn out to be terrible people as well.
Yup, a few mentions here and there, but that is about it. No long after game cutscenes or anything like that. It is an interesting story, but if we were allowed more say in the decisions (like dropping Vic right away), I think the story mode in it would be sooooo much better. And you got two girlfriends, one in high school and one after lol. And naw, the parents are the best part.

The things that I wish was there was that A, during the game or after Doris would interview you (24 games done in Season 2 and no interview like that) B, more post game interviews (had maybe 2-3 in Season 2) C, wish there was more interaction with players (besides basically the cover stars saying hi before the game, that's it, no interaction with anyone else) D, wish we could have a say in who gets traded like the old days and E, why is Ernie and the gang saying midseason or halfway done when I only did like 20 games so far? Some of the announcing is just awful. I am enjoying the option of what to do during the off day, though. And I do like the option of being a free agent after the first year (drafted by the Celtics and now on the Thunder). Just sucks that it is just about impossible to win RotY unless those 8 games you put up amazing numbers (which seems hard as you don't get a feel of the game or much minutes).

Originally Posted by DJariya
Played a 6 minute quarters game earlier today. I was the Lakers and I played against the Warriors.

I was playing on Pro level and got smoked 72 to 49. D'Angelo Russell was my leading scorer at 14 points. Kobe had an awful game.

The game is definitely challenging and takes a learning curve. But, the presentation is gorgeous and is almost like watching an actual NBA TV broadcast. I loved the additions of player interviews coming back from "Commercial break" Too bad Chuck Barkley is being a dick about using his likeness. I would love to have seen him on the pregame show portions with Ernie, Shaq and Kenny or even the classic Suns and 76ers teams he was on.
Not much of a learning curve. I'm on Pro with MyPlayer and it's been pretty easy. Hell I was on the Celtics and beat the Cavs. There is just no one good on the Lakers lol. And yeah, Barkley, Webber, and R.Wallace are sticking it to the fans. So damn dumb. I would love to see a Kings team with Webber, Bibby, Peja, Divac, etc. Any reason why those guys are being dicks about the likeness? How much do they want?
Old 09-28-15, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the online? I miss playing 5 vs 5.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.