Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4

Old 03-02-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4

Originally Posted by slop101
Only 2 hours in, and while I'm enjoying it, it hasn't quite "clicked" yet with me.

I mean, the controls, fighting, and especially graphics are spot-fucking-ON, but so far it seems like any other open-world game; go to point A, get thing, go to point B, fight, go to point C, end mission, upgrade. Rinse, repeat.

Obviously I'm sticking with it, but right now, the game is keeping it's distance from me.
I anxiously await your posts months from now reminding us how you don't like the game and felt 50-60 hours wasn't enough content.
Old 03-02-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Only 2 hours in, and while I'm enjoying it, it hasn't quite "clicked" yet with me.

I mean, the controls, fighting, and especially graphics are spot-fucking-ON, but so far it seems like any other open-world game; go to point A, get thing, go to point B, fight, go to point C, end mission, upgrade. Rinse, repeat.

Obviously I'm sticking with it, but right now, the game is keeping it's distance from me.
I'm in the same boat. It feel like a yearly fix of Assassin's Creed & Far Cry imho.
Old 03-02-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

That's sort of the MO for Guerilla Games isn't it? Impressive from a technical standpoint and effective gameplay, but ultimately rather generic and unoriginal.
Old 03-02-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how is that the MO for Guerilla Games?
I think it is generally just the MO for open world games
I am not a fan of that genre at all but am enjoying this game
Old 03-02-17, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

This game has NOTHING to do with other Guerilla games (well, except for the lookouts in the trees that was all over the last Killzone game).
This is a fantastic game (so for) but if you aren't a fan of open-world action games, this won't change your mind about them. It has certain things that feel very much like Far Cry 4 and Far Cry Primal, but it's still its own entity and the voice acting and story are top-notch which elevates it significantly above those games, IMO.
Old 03-02-17, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,236 Likes on 823 Posts

I quickly got bored with Assassin's Creed games and the only Far Cry game I liked was the 1st. Can't give you the exact reason(s) why, but to me, HZD doesn't "feel" like those games at all.
Old 03-02-17, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how is that the MO for Guerilla Games?
What Rich said is absolutely the general consensus for Guerrilla's previous output. The Killzone games always looked stunning but rarely received reviews that felt the gameplay was at the same level.
Old 03-02-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

I do like that it feels a lot like the new Tomb Raider games, just as much, if not more, than Far Cry games.
Old 03-02-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I'm in the same boat. It feel like a yearly fix of Assassin's Creed & Far Cry imho.
I'm getting nothing like that. The only comparison I see to Far Cry is that it's an open world game with crafting. And maybe the only thing from Assassin's Creed is the stealth? Everything else is done better. The interface, combat, story, dialogue, etc.

I'm about 4 hours in and this game broke every expectation I had. I can see why it got such high reviews. And playing on a PS Pro on a 135 inch screen is breathtaking.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 03-02-17 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-02-17, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and I'm not gonna lie

Spoiler:
I almost shed a tear when Rost died
Old 03-02-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Traversing cliff walls, and inside of caverns, bow hunting, crafting using resources, upgrade skill tree...
To say you're not getting any Tomb Raider in any of that is to say you haven't played the last 2 TR games.
Old 03-02-17, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not really a spoiler, but listening to a character and just picturing Commander Zvala from Destiny takes me out of the game for a moment.
Old 03-03-17, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I totallly get why people are seeing inspiration from others games in this one. I have always been a big fan of the Far Cry games and this has similar attributes in world and crafting, I have been a big fan of the Tomb Raider games (especially the last two) and this game certainly has elements of those games, and I have not been the biggest fan of Assassins Creed but I loved Black Flag and in the last two weeks I have been playing though Syndicate and loving that and again this game takes elements from that series. It's taken elements from each that worked and mixed it together with a new mythos of its own and there end result seems rather nice.

I have not played much more of it this week and I also get the poster saying it not quite clicking with them yet. I am feeling the same at this point, but it's probably because I am invested in another 2-3 games that I am close to 100%ing and then will get fully invested in this. I am sure that once I really start getting into it I will be blown away. Just a few hours play has impressed me.
Old 03-03-17, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Not really a spoiler, but listening to a character and just picturing Commander Zvala from Destiny takes me out of the game for a moment.
This is what I picture Aloy when she speaks
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EH3fZNTKJXA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-03-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

not as much as when Aloy meets the Hunter and participates in the Trials
Old 03-04-17, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

I'm only about 4 hours in, Level 6 and have been mostly doing the Side Quests.

Really enjoying it so far.
Old 03-04-17, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by musick
not as much as when Aloy meets the Hunter and participates in the Trials
Plus, whoever designed the Cauldrons defitnely was a fan of Vault of Glass.
Old 03-04-17, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For those that got the deluxe edition, there appears to be two glitches. The carja storm ranger armor takes 1/10th of the damage purple outfits take. I was wondering why the game seemed so easy.

Also, the carja mighty bow does almost double damage compared to the shadow hunter bow.

Finally decided to take down a thunderjaw. It's actually very easy if you're running the shadow ropecaster. Throw handling mods on that thing, take him down in a few seconds, and then go to town. Plus, each one you kill nets you 3 purple mods.
Old 03-05-17, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I'm only about 4 hours in, Level 6 and have been mostly doing the Side Quests.

Really enjoying it so far.
Finally started it tonight and this sounds like exactly my progress.

Fantastic game. The intro hour or so was fantastic. I was disappointed there wasn't more with
Spoiler:
young Aloy and her training.

I'm totally feeling the Far Cry 4 & Tomb Raider vibe, and that's a good thing. I've never gotten into Assassin's Creed, so I'm not sure what was appropriated there.
Old 03-05-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Anyone else have a glitch where Slot gets stuck in bow shooting mode and you're not able to scan because R3 only does concentration?
Old 03-05-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was pretty stoked that I finished all of the trials in the shortest time. Some of those were a little tricky within the time limit. I'm also liking the different weapon types. It makes you really approach situations differently.
Old 03-05-17, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm level 17 and just did my first
Spoiler:
underground
section. That was pretty bad ass. Looks like there are several more as well. Kinda reminds me of
Spoiler:
the tomb sections in Tomb Raider.
Old 03-05-17, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Played for a couple of hours today and feel more into this now. It felt frustrating at the beginning as it was taking longer to take things down than I expected. But once I thought it through and had a game plan it made things a lot easier. I like a game that makes you think and where you get rewarded for that. Currently at level 12 and explored my first Cauldron and beat the boss mech. Graphics are gorgeous and I and loving the creature designs. I 100%'d Assassins Creed Syndicate before playing this today and gonna do the same thing I did with that game, complete all side quests before moving through the main quest. Took me less than 2 weeks to fully complete AC:S, so curious to see how long this one takes to 100%.
Old 03-05-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Plus, whoever designed the Cauldrons defitnely was a fan of Vault of Glass.
I don't know about that but I just finished my first trip to the Cauldron and damn was that an impressive level design
Old 03-05-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Finally started it tonight and this sounds like exactly my progress.
I've been enjoying the Side Quests. Then again I Level Grind in almost every RPG I play

Finding ways to get more EXP, by revisiting Strider, Scrapper & Watcher sites as well as buying any weapon I can, as they yield Tutorials that give you EXP once finished.

Last edited by asianxcore; 03-06-17 at 01:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.