Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews
 



Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-16, 07:31 PM   #76
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 28,586
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

I tried the first Dark Souls back in the day. While the frustrating deaths were entertaining, it quickly got old. Is this more of the same? Heck, I couldn't even beat the first boss in Lords of the Fallen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-16, 01:58 PM   #77
mewmartigan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 942
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
I tried the first Dark Souls back in the day. While the frustrating deaths were entertaining, it quickly got old. Is this more of the same? Heck, I couldn't even beat the first boss in Lords of the Fallen.
Yes, its more of the same.

I never played Lords of the Fallen but the whole Dark Souls series (and Bloodborne) are the same...difficult with frustrating deaths causing you to backtrack a bit and try the same boss over and over.
__________________
PSN: mewmartigan
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-16, 04:25 PM   #78
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,511
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

I'm actually finding this to be a full step down in difficulty from Bloodborne. I haven't played much of the Dark Souls franchise, but Bloodborne kicked my ass for the first few hours.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-16, 04:57 PM   #79
mhg83
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,169
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

I found the enemy right by Dilapidated Bridge to make for a good farming spot. In the hour I farmed him, he dropped close to 9 Titanite shards.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by antspawn View Post
I would die a happy man if the cause of my death was booty asphyxiation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-16, 11:04 PM   #80
RForte1189
New Member
 
RForte1189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 303
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Am I the only one finding this game fairly easy? Embers are the opposite of how your health used to shrink if you kept dying in DS2, and obviously Bloodborne didnt have an ability to block; but so far ive been one-shotting the bosses (only beaten three so far). I wouldnt consider myself a "seasoned" DS guy, but I guess the 140+ hours into Bloodborne really payed off.

Even with the 20 blood vials in Bloodborne, Vicker Amelia killed me what must have been 40+ times my first time through. Most of the bosses did. Dark Souls 3's bosses just seem... easier? The "tree boss" was ridiculously easy as you just stayed behind or to the side of it the whole fight except the very beginning and very end.
__________________
Hail to the king?
GamerTag: sleeper1189
PSN: sleeper-1189

DVDTalks longest New Member
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-16, 08:50 AM   #81
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,511
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

I'm only two bosses deep but yeah similar "This is way easier" first impression. Especially the bosses.

This is my first proper Dark/Demon Souls, I mean, I've played the others for a few minutes, but for one reason or another never progressed (Demon Souls had some King's Field style floaty controls to it which I couldn't get used to, Dark Souls didn't work right on my PC, I couldn't get into Dark Souls 2 after playing Bloodborne) and I'm enjoying it so far, but I think I like the Victorian setting of Bloodborne a lot better.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-18-16 at 09:21 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-16, 09:10 AM   #82
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 6,856
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Picked this up over the weekend. I haven't played BB or DS2. It was pretty easy to dive back into a DS game. At least in terms of the standard enemies, this does seem a bit easier than I remember Demon and Dark being. That being said, I'm not very far yet. Just started going through the 2nd area; Undead Village, I believe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-16, 08:15 PM   #83
mewmartigan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 942
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Glad some of you are finding the rotted tree in the undead settlement easy. I have faced him about 20 times now and still lose. Don't even get him to the transformation half the time.

EDIT: found out I had a bunch of the Estus flask items in my inventory. He became easier to beat when I had 6 Estus flasks instead of 3.
__________________
PSN: mewmartigan

Last edited by mewmartigan; 04-18-16 at 09:07 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-16, 03:02 PM   #84
lopper
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,704
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

I walked right past that tree boss and continued to the next two areas before realizing what I'd done. Went back, completely over-leveled, and took care of him.

I picked up the Butcher Knife the other day and have been using that for a while. It's a little slow, but it's skill is pretty useful (you 'sharpen' the blade and each hit restores HP). I'll use it for a bit until I find something better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-16, 03:10 PM   #85
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,511
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Yeah, I made right instead of a left and missed him entirely for a while.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-16, 03:49 PM   #86
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,955
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Dunno if this will have any interest here but Dark Souls the Boardgame is doing a kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-board-game
__________________
I was a fan of the Bengals through the 90's. I've looked the devil in the eye and laughed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-16, 04:07 PM   #87
mewmartigan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 942
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
I walked right past that tree boss and continued to the next two areas before realizing what I'd done. Went back, completely over-leveled, and took care of him.

I was the opposite. After beating the tree boss there was no path to the next area from the bonfire. Had to look up that he was optional and the next area is back in the settlement.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-16, 05:26 PM   #88
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,511
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Dunno if this will have any interest here but Dark Souls the Boardgame is doing a kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-board-game
Do 18 of the 20 sides of the dice read "You Died"?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-16, 07:12 PM   #89
Chuckle
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mars
Posts: 78
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Dark Souls III on PC is awesome. Not so much on consoles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 07:55 AM   #90
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 6,856
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

I'm having a blast with this game. It didn't take long for me to fall right back into a DS game. I just reached the 3rd bonfire in 2nd zone (undead village, or something like that). Few questions:

-When can I buy a bow? I want to take out the dragon in the first area but I haven't had a bow drop or been able to buy one. Neither the standard shop lady or the guy I saved from the cell have one for sale.

-The guy you save/unlock who sells magic at Firelink. He's leveling me up when I talk to him. What's causing that? He's given me three levels so far for no souls.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 09:13 AM   #91
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,511
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleFukk View Post
Dark Souls III on PC is awesome. Not so much on consoles.
I switched to the PS4 version after the PC one crashed a few too many times. I'm actually happy with how well the game runs considering the less than perfect framerate in Bloodborne.

But man it looks nowhere near as nice as that game, in either incarnation.

I'm stuck where mewmartigan was at, that stupid tree with the lymph nodes/testicle strike points. Fought him 4 or 5 times now. What a weird boss.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 09:46 AM   #92
mhg83
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,169
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I'm having a blast with this game. It didn't take long for me to fall right back into a DS game. I just reached the 3rd bonfire in 2nd zone (undead village, or something like that). Few questions:

-When can I buy a bow? I want to take out the dragon in the first area but I haven't had a bow drop or been able to buy one. Neither the standard shop lady or the guy I saved from the cell have one for sale.
I never had to buy a bow. I found it in one of the early areas. It wasn't a hidden item so you should find it soon or maybe you missed it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by antspawn View Post
I would die a happy man if the cause of my death was booty asphyxiation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
Well, they kiss where they think that Jesus was born. They kiss the little catholic cracker. They worship Mary.....
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 10:22 AM   #93
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 6,856
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

I got a crossbow pretty early on but I'm trying for a standard bow. It's certainly possible I missed it somewhere.

Oh, one more thing. if I used the tree jump trick to get the ring and flask in Firelink, does buying the key for 20k still give any benefit? Or should I just get it much later on when I have plenty of souls?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-16, 01:09 PM   #94
Chuckle
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Mars
Posts: 78
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I switched to the PS4 version after the PC one crashed a few too many times. I'm actually happy with how well the game runs considering the less than perfect framerate in Bloodborne.

But man it looks nowhere near as nice as that game, in either incarnation.

I'm stuck where mewmartigan was at, that stupid tree with the lymph nodes/testicle strike points. Fought him 4 or 5 times now. What a weird boss.
Of course the bosses are always weird. Why'd it crash so often for you on PC?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-16, 09:34 PM   #95
mewmartigan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 942
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

wow...easily the most frustrating part of the game so far is the cathedral

Spoiler:
going across the rooftops is a pain with soo many enemies and at the very end, right before the bonfire you have to two scarecrow guys each holding two scythes. I absolutely cannot win. Been at it for over an hour. I can find no way to get them separate so I can take them on one at a time. The second one always comes as I battle the first, even if I lure him out.
__________________
PSN: mewmartigan
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-16, 10:13 PM   #96
lopper
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,704
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post

-The guy you save/unlock who sells magic at Firelink. He's leveling me up when I talk to him. What's causing that? He's given me three levels so far for no souls.
I don't remember the details but there's a catch to all those free levels you're getting. If you really want to know I'd go ahead and look it up unless you're cool letting it just play out. Personally, I left that alone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 07:47 AM   #97
Noonan
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 6,856
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Interesting. Well, since I'm a sorcerer and he's the magic vendor, I'm gonna let him do what he does! lol His leveled got me to be able to use the Ice Sword from the guy at the bottom of the Arrow Tower in Undead.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 12:18 PM   #98
mewmartigan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 942
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

With regards to Yoel and the free leveling:

Spoiler:
This site says you need to do the hollowing and level up 5 times for free from Yoel in order to get the best ending. Yoel will also die at a certain point in the game whether you level up with him or not.

When you get the free levels it hollows you but apparently only affects your appearance, not your stats.
https://www.primagames.com/games/dar...igil-hollowing


I guess in light of that, I will take my free levels.
__________________
PSN: mewmartigan
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-16, 02:27 PM   #99
lopper
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
lopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,704
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
With regards to Yoel and the free leveling:

Spoiler:
This site says you need to do the hollowing and level up 5 times for free from Yoel in order to get the best ending. Yoel will also die at a certain point in the game whether you level up with him or not.

When you get the free levels it hollows you but apparently only affects your appearance, not your stats.
https://www.primagames.com/games/dar...igil-hollowing


I guess in light of that, I will take my free levels.
Oh, if that's the case, then I'll be stopping by and getting my points as well. Thanks for looking that up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-16, 12:31 AM   #100
dom56
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,459
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

I pretty much screwed up some of the npc quests. Oh well, will try to get it right on ng+.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.

...
Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0