Reload this Page >

Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Old 04-15-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 374 Likes on 279 Posts
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

I tried the first Dark Souls back in the day. While the frustrating deaths were entertaining, it quickly got old. Is this more of the same? Heck, I couldn't even beat the first boss in Lords of the Fallen.
Old 04-16-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I tried the first Dark Souls back in the day. While the frustrating deaths were entertaining, it quickly got old. Is this more of the same? Heck, I couldn't even beat the first boss in Lords of the Fallen.
Yes, its more of the same.

I never played Lords of the Fallen but the whole Dark Souls series (and Bloodborne) are the same...difficult with frustrating deaths causing you to backtrack a bit and try the same boss over and over.
Old 04-16-16, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

I'm actually finding this to be a full step down in difficulty from Bloodborne. I haven't played much of the Dark Souls franchise, but Bloodborne kicked my ass for the first few hours.
Old 04-17-16, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

I found the enemy right by Dilapidated Bridge to make for a good farming spot. In the hour I farmed him, he dropped close to 9 Titanite shards.
Old 04-17-16, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am I the only one finding this game fairly easy? Embers are the opposite of how your health used to shrink if you kept dying in DS2, and obviously Bloodborne didnt have an ability to block; but so far ive been one-shotting the bosses (only beaten three so far). I wouldnt consider myself a "seasoned" DS guy, but I guess the 140+ hours into Bloodborne really payed off.

Even with the 20 blood vials in Bloodborne, Vicker Amelia killed me what must have been 40+ times my first time through. Most of the bosses did. Dark Souls 3's bosses just seem... easier? The "tree boss" was ridiculously easy as you just stayed behind or to the side of it the whole fight except the very beginning and very end.
Old 04-18-16, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm only two bosses deep but yeah similar "This is way easier" first impression. Especially the bosses.

This is my first proper Dark/Demon Souls, I mean, I've played the others for a few minutes, but for one reason or another never progressed (Demon Souls had some King's Field style floaty controls to it which I couldn't get used to, Dark Souls didn't work right on my PC, I couldn't get into Dark Souls 2 after playing Bloodborne) and I'm enjoying it so far, but I think I like the Victorian setting of Bloodborne a lot better.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-18-16 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-18-16, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 627 Posts

Picked this up over the weekend. I haven't played BB or DS2. It was pretty easy to dive back into a DS game. At least in terms of the standard enemies, this does seem a bit easier than I remember Demon and Dark being. That being said, I'm not very far yet. Just started going through the 2nd area; Undead Village, I believe.
Old 04-18-16, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad some of you are finding the rotted tree in the undead settlement easy. I have faced him about 20 times now and still lose. Don't even get him to the transformation half the time.

EDIT: found out I had a bunch of the Estus flask items in my inventory. He became easier to beat when I had 6 Estus flasks instead of 3.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 04-18-16 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-19-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I walked right past that tree boss and continued to the next two areas before realizing what I'd done. Went back, completely over-leveled, and took care of him.

I picked up the Butcher Knife the other day and have been using that for a while. It's a little slow, but it's skill is pretty useful (you 'sharpen' the blade and each hit restores HP). I'll use it for a bit until I find something better.
Old 04-19-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I made right instead of a left and missed him entirely for a while.
Old 04-19-16, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno if this will have any interest here but Dark Souls the Boardgame is doing a kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-board-game
Old 04-19-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lopper
I walked right past that tree boss and continued to the next two areas before realizing what I'd done. Went back, completely over-leveled, and took care of him.

I was the opposite. After beating the tree boss there was no path to the next area from the bonfire. Had to look up that he was optional and the next area is back in the settlement.
Old 04-19-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Dunno if this will have any interest here but Dark Souls the Boardgame is doing a kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-board-game
Do 18 of the 20 sides of the dice read "You Died"?
Old 04-19-16, 07:12 PM
Banned

Dark Souls III on PC is awesome. Not so much on consoles.
Old 04-20-16, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm having a blast with this game. It didn't take long for me to fall right back into a DS game. I just reached the 3rd bonfire in 2nd zone (undead village, or something like that). Few questions:

-When can I buy a bow? I want to take out the dragon in the first area but I haven't had a bow drop or been able to buy one. Neither the standard shop lady or the guy I saved from the cell have one for sale.

-The guy you save/unlock who sells magic at Firelink. He's leveling me up when I talk to him. What's causing that? He's given me three levels so far for no souls.
Old 04-20-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ChuckleFukk
Dark Souls III on PC is awesome. Not so much on consoles.
I switched to the PS4 version after the PC one crashed a few too many times. I'm actually happy with how well the game runs considering the less than perfect framerate in Bloodborne.

But man it looks nowhere near as nice as that game, in either incarnation.

I'm stuck where mewmartigan was at, that stupid tree with the lymph nodes/testicle strike points. Fought him 4 or 5 times now. What a weird boss.
Old 04-20-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I'm having a blast with this game. It didn't take long for me to fall right back into a DS game. I just reached the 3rd bonfire in 2nd zone (undead village, or something like that). Few questions:

-When can I buy a bow? I want to take out the dragon in the first area but I haven't had a bow drop or been able to buy one. Neither the standard shop lady or the guy I saved from the cell have one for sale.
I never had to buy a bow. I found it in one of the early areas. It wasn't a hidden item so you should find it soon or maybe you missed it?
Old 04-20-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a crossbow pretty early on but I'm trying for a standard bow. It's certainly possible I missed it somewhere.

Oh, one more thing. if I used the tree jump trick to get the ring and flask in Firelink, does buying the key for 20k still give any benefit? Or should I just get it much later on when I have plenty of souls?
Old 04-20-16, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
I switched to the PS4 version after the PC one crashed a few too many times. I'm actually happy with how well the game runs considering the less than perfect framerate in Bloodborne.

But man it looks nowhere near as nice as that game, in either incarnation.

I'm stuck where mewmartigan was at, that stupid tree with the lymph nodes/testicle strike points. Fought him 4 or 5 times now. What a weird boss.
Of course the bosses are always weird. Why'd it crash so often for you on PC?
Old 04-21-16, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow...easily the most frustrating part of the game so far is the cathedral

Spoiler:
going across the rooftops is a pain with soo many enemies and at the very end, right before the bonfire you have to two scarecrow guys each holding two scythes. I absolutely cannot win. Been at it for over an hour. I can find no way to get them separate so I can take them on one at a time. The second one always comes as I battle the first, even if I lure him out.
Old 04-21-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan

-The guy you save/unlock who sells magic at Firelink. He's leveling me up when I talk to him. What's causing that? He's given me three levels so far for no souls.
I don't remember the details but there's a catch to all those free levels you're getting. If you really want to know I'd go ahead and look it up unless you're cool letting it just play out. Personally, I left that alone.
Old 04-22-16, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting. Well, since I'm a sorcerer and he's the magic vendor, I'm gonna let him do what he does! lol His leveled got me to be able to use the Ice Sword from the guy at the bottom of the Arrow Tower in Undead.
Old 04-22-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With regards to Yoel and the free leveling:

Spoiler:
This site says you need to do the hollowing and level up 5 times for free from Yoel in order to get the best ending. Yoel will also die at a certain point in the game whether you level up with him or not.

When you get the free levels it hollows you but apparently only affects your appearance, not your stats.
https://www.primagames.com/games/dar...igil-hollowing

I guess in light of that, I will take my free levels.
Old 04-22-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
With regards to Yoel and the free leveling:

Spoiler:
This site says you need to do the hollowing and level up 5 times for free from Yoel in order to get the best ending. Yoel will also die at a certain point in the game whether you level up with him or not.

When you get the free levels it hollows you but apparently only affects your appearance, not your stats.
https://www.primagames.com/games/dar...igil-hollowing

I guess in light of that, I will take my free levels.
Oh, if that's the case, then I'll be stopping by and getting my points as well. Thanks for looking that up.
Old 04-23-16, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 164 Posts

I pretty much screwed up some of the npc quests. Oh well, will try to get it right on ng+.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.