Reload this Page >

Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

Old 04-12-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Re: Dark Souls 3 (PS4 & Xbox One)

That sounds like the "day 1 edition". Mine is supposed to be coming from Amazon with a book and soundtrack..
Old 04-13-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that first boss is a PIA! What a way to introduce you to boss fights. And this is coming straight out of the tutorial. I'm a Herald btw and his spear sucks. I may switch to a Knight.
Old 04-13-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Wow, that first boss is a PIA! What a way to introduce you to boss fights. And this is coming straight out of the tutorial. I'm a Herald btw and his spear sucks. I may switch to a Knight.
SOOOO true--rude welcome to DS, for sure, and man was I glad when I beat him.

I tried the Knight but switched to Warrior. Just like the axe better than the sword I guess. Got to the main hub, leveled up a few times, and then called it a Day One. Loving it so far (and hating it, of course).
Old 04-13-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Wow, my Target has a deal you buy the game and get a free hint book. I just save $25. Sweet!!!
Yeah, and it's not just a "hint" book, but the full blown strategy guide.
Old 04-13-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

^ Which is precisely why it seems to be sold out at every single Target here.
Old 04-13-16, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 164 Posts

This game is real tough. Die a lot of times from powerful enemies like the knights. Playing as a pyromancer and the fireball do help me deal with these tough enemies. Got the uchigatana at +3 and loved how it wickedly sound when striking. I feel like Toshiro Mifune.
Old 04-13-16, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Jesus, this game likes to crash my PC a lot...

According to the game clock, I'm about 5 hours in or so, and I just got to the first "proper" boss
Spoiler:
Vordt
. I haven't beat him yet but he doesn't seem too bad. The game's not too hard yet, but I've had to get kind of creative with several of those knights that're wandering around the first area.

And, in typical Dark Souls fashion, I can't settle on what kind of build I want, so I'm dumping points into traits left and right without focusing on what I want to do.
Old 04-13-16, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Jesus, this game likes to crash my PC a lot...

I've had to get kind of creative with several of those knights that're wandering around the first area.

Do you use a Bow and Arrow? What I do is to stand inside one of the two churches. For some reason they refuse to enter. That's when I equip my B&A and take them out.
Old 04-13-16, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Old 04-13-16, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
Do you use a Bow and Arrow? What I do is to stand inside one of the two churches. For some reason they refuse to enter. That's when I equip my B&A and take them out.
That's smart. I end up taking having them follow me one by one up the small stairway on the path that leads to the elevator. Then I'll roll off the side and they will jump down after me. When they land they're stunned for a sec and I get some damage in. Then I go back up the stairs while they're still down below and get them with a dropping attack. Takes a while, but it's effective.
Old 04-13-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
^ Which is precisely why it seems to be sold out at every single Target here.
There were plenty at my local Target.
Old 04-13-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am 20 minutes in and I think I already screwed myself.

I am a sorcerer and after getting to the first bonfire, I turned around to go fight that crystal monster off to the side. After trying to kill him a few times I get the "weapon damaged" warning.

I am at the beginning of the game...totally forgot about weapon damage and I assume there is no way to repair it before defeating the first boss and getting to the firelink shrine right? I doubt I can get past the first boss before my dagger/sword/whatever breaks. 10/50 is probably already hitting very weakly.

EDIT: gave it a shot anyway...the "heavy soul arrow" worked wonders on the first boss. He seemed way easier than the crystal monster but that may have been because most of my time with the crystal monster was with a heavily damaged weapon.

Just got the Katana
Spoiler:
from the naked Master at Firelink Shrine
but can't equip it quite yet.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 04-14-16 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-14-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm just afraid that Bloodborne may have ruined me for Dark Souls, and playing it might feel like a step backwards.
Old 04-14-16, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101

I'm just afraid that Bloodborne may have ruined me for Dark Souls, and playing it might feel like a step backwards.
So far the feel of the game is better than the previous Souls titles, which always felt a bit floaty to me. It's definitely different than Bloodborne, but it feels more like a culmination of the two series.
Old 04-14-16, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Old 04-14-16, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Old 04-15-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 164 Posts

The Curse-Rotted Greatwood was a fun fight. It good place to help player and earn experience and ember .
Old 04-15-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fuck the PC version is a buggy mess. I literally couldn't play for longer than 5 minutes at a time last night without crashing. There are allegedly some fixes out there to try, but this is still super frustrating.

I'll give it another go today, but if there's no improvement I might just bite the bullet and pick up the PS4 version and start over.
Old 04-15-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Played it for just under an hour yesterday (PS4), and it gave me a headache. Which is weird, as no other game, DS, Bloodborne, or otherwise, has ever done that.
Old 04-15-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lopper
Fuck the PC version is a buggy mess. I literally couldn't play for longer than 5 minutes at a time last night without crashing. There are allegedly some fixes out there to try, but this is still super frustrating.

I'll give it another go today, but if there's no improvement I might just bite the bullet and pick up the PS4 version and start over.
Out of curiosity, what OS, CPU and GPU are you using?
Old 04-15-16, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Win 10
GTX 770
Intel i5-4670

Apparently, turning down the lighting effects helps with the crashing, as does adjusting some nvidia 3d settings. I'm about to try it now, so we'll see shortly.

EDIT: 20 min later and we're looking good. Finally beat that boss.

Last edited by lopper; 04-15-16 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-15-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dom56
The Curse-Rotted Greatwood was a fun fight. It good place to help player and earn experience and ember .

Trying to stay vague / spoiler free here.

Hit the tree boss and couldn't figure out how to hurt him. Had already wandered into the next area. Didn't go back for a second time yet.

Wandered instead through a few more areas, missing the magic-shooting boss in the swamp area entirely until I went back to re-explore (had 12k souls trying to save up 20k for the key at Firelink). Stumbled into him and got owned but luckily I had a ring of sacrifice on.

Considered making a crystal weapon (running a sorcerer, it's the INT scaling material this time). But I haven't invested that heavily in INT yet, so not worth doing yet. Not sure yet if I'm going to go sorcerer, super-caster (like when I played a glass cannon Dark build on DaS2), or maybe more of a DEX/INT build.
Old 04-15-16, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
Trying to stay vague / spoiler free here.

Hit the tree boss and couldn't figure out how to hurt him. Had already wandered into the next area. Didn't go back for a second time yet.

Wandered instead through a few more areas, missing the magic-shooting boss in the swamp area entirely until I went back to re-explore (had 12k souls trying to save up 20k for the key at Firelink). Stumbled into him and got owned but luckily I had a ring of sacrifice on.

Considered making a crystal weapon (running a sorcerer, it's the INT scaling material this time). But I haven't invested that heavily in INT yet, so not worth doing yet. Not sure yet if I'm going to go sorcerer, super-caster (like when I played a glass cannon Dark build on DaS2), or maybe more of a DEX/INT build.

The 20k for the key at Firelink...there is a way to get up on the roof without the key. I am not sure if the key gets you anywhere else or just to the one item.

Spoiler:
I will try and find the video again..I believe it was a Kotaku video on soul farming early in the game....anyway, you go up to the locked gate and turn around. You will see a tree on the right partway down the staircase..you run up the tree and jump to the roof on the right of the tree. Running up the tree gives you just enough height advantage when you jump to clear that low part of the roof. It took me about 30 tries but I made it up there.
Old 04-15-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a flashback to the Dreamcast days when I was playing the first boss and couldn't figure out why. Then I remembered that I used to always think about how cool Soulcalbur would have been if it were some sort of medieval action/adventure game. That first battle was essentially what I was thinking of 17 years ago
Old 04-15-16, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
The 20k for the key at Firelink...there is a way to get up on the roof without the key. I am not sure if the key gets you anywhere else or just to the one item.

Spoiler:
I will try and find the video again..I believe it was a Kotaku video on soul farming early in the game....anyway, you go up to the locked gate and turn around. You will see a tree on the right partway down the staircase..you run up the tree and jump to the roof on the right of the tree. Running up the tree gives you just enough height advantage when you jump to clear that low part of the roof. It took me about 30 tries but I made it up there.
From my understanding, there's still a reason or two to get the key...

As for the Curse Rotted Greatwood...probably spent two hours co-oping with people on that boss. Good, good fun.

Think I'm near my first LoC in my playthrough...scared!!!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.