Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Somebody explain these modern gaming kids to me

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-15, 01:56 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Somebody explain these modern gaming kids to me

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
It's ridiculous to think you can make a living doing nothing but playing video games, but to make millions for it is just inconceivable. It's basically like winning the lottery. Making millions for doing basically nothing, and only a select few are ever lucky enough to win it.
Nothing? He makes funny voices and plays games! Pure genius and talent!

I'm sure he had no idea he'd be this popular for doing so little.
Old 07-04-15, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone mentioned the retro gamer channels? Where guys play or collect games from about 30 years ago. Some are entertaining like the Angry Video Game Nerd who on purpose plays bad games and it's more of a comedy sketch, but then there's absolutely terrible crap like Metal Jesus Rocks who is all "ohh look at this Atari Jaguar game I bought or look at all the games in basement. The twit even tried to start a crowd funding campaign to get 50 grand so he and his friends can travel around the country and film, hilariously he got a lot of backlash and earned very little so he shut it down.
Old 07-04-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
It's ridiculous to think you can make a living doing nothing but playing video games, but to make millions for it is just inconceivable. It's basically like winning the lottery. Making millions for doing basically nothing, and only a select few are ever lucky enough to win it.
So why aren't you doing it too, then? The answer is that it's not that easy, or the rest of us would be jumping aboard that train. It takes talent and a lot of time to build -- and, more importantly, keep -- an audience of that size. Video production is also a lot of work, as anyone who has ever done it can tell you.

It's not really inconceivable, either. Lots of celebrities make that much money, or even a lot more, from doing what some people would describe as "basically nothing." It's easy to sit back and call the success of others undeserved without thinking about the amount of work that went into getting to that point.
Old 07-05-15, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by educator_bhoy
Has anyone mentioned the retro gamer channels? Where guys play or collect games from about 30 years ago. Some are entertaining like the Angry Video Game Nerd who on purpose plays bad games and it's more of a comedy sketch, but then there's absolutely terrible crap like Metal Jesus Rocks who is all "ohh look at this Atari Jaguar game I bought or look at all the games in basement. The twit even tried to start a crowd funding campaign to get 50 grand so he and his friends can travel around the country and film, hilariously he got a lot of backlash and earned very little so he shut it down.
Metal Jesus Rocks used to be a good channel. But now it's nothing but stupid hidden gem videos (and just cause his fat ass didn't play it when it was the hit thing doesn't make it a hidden gem) and the aforementioned request garbage like begging fans to fund a cross country vacation . The guy is a self professed loser anyways: no education, lives off his wife's realty career, etc. so it's best to ignore his channel.

I was really into YouTube gaming channels up until this year. But now the good YouTube channels like Happy Console Gamer, The Game Chasers, The Gaming Historian, etc have Patreons going. Those drive me bonkers cause you know they are primarily teens who don't know better donating to them. But I guess if you want to spend your own $$$ to support someone doing their hobby that's on you.
Old 07-05-15, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
So why aren't you doing it too, then? The answer is that it's not that easy, or the rest of us would be jumping aboard that train. It takes talent and a lot of time to build -- and, more importantly, keep -- an audience of that size. Video production is also a lot of work, as anyone who has ever done it can tell you.

It's not really inconceivable, either. Lots of celebrities make that much money, or even a lot more, from doing what some people would describe as "basically nothing." It's easy to sit back and call the success of others undeserved without thinking about the amount of work that went into getting to that point.
Oh it absolutely is that easy. You just have to have the time and fake an eccentric personality. In fact most YouTubers will tell you that they even learned video editing and production by watching YouTube videos about those subjects. Most of the guys that get into that start by being unemployed (LGR, Angry Joe Show, The Game Chasers, The Completionist, etc).
Old 07-05-15, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I would love to get into Youtube as a career but i really suck at gaming. Not sure if there's an audience for that? Plus there's always the risk of pissing some kid off and end up getting swatted.
Old 07-05-15, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate PewDiePie. There's no talent to him. People eat it up though.

The only channel I care for to see anyone playing a game is Maximilian Dood. He's educational, informative, and a great member of the fighting game community. Very rarely is he treading that bullshit YouTuber BS persona. When he does though it gets annoying as fuck.
Old 07-05-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I was really into YouTube gaming channels up until this year. But now the good YouTube channels like Happy Console Gamer, The Game Chasers, The Gaming Historian, etc have Patreons going. Those drive me bonkers cause you know they are primarily teens who don't know better donating to them. But I guess if you want to spend your own $$$ to support someone doing their hobby that's on you.
Or people who enjoy the work of those content creators see fit to donate to them because they value the work put into those youtube channels?

I don't do it often, but I have absolutely donated to some content creators I really enjoy, because the youtube channels, podcasts, whatever that I've grown to love I love as much or more than content I get through any traditional channel. And I value them as such. I don't see how this isn't knowing better.

When it comes to gaming videos on youtube I don't really like Let's Plays. Most of them seem squarely aimed at a younger audience that my 34 year old ass is not a part of. But I get why kids like these things. They like the guys and gals who make them, and the viewers just like spending time with these personalities. Pewdiepie and Markiplier seem silly to me, but I get why they work.

I'm more a fan of the video essays or ridiculously rigorous reviews that some channels are doing now. Super Bunnyhop and Matthewmatosis are good examples of what I groove on. I like that these channels aren't very pandering and are void of schtick. Schtick is fine, but it just has never been my cup of tea.
Old 07-05-15, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
I would love to get into Youtube as a career but i really suck at gaming. Not sure if there's an audience for that? Plus there's always the risk of pissing some kid off and end up getting swatted.
I think there is a popular channel that features a guy who is "bad" at video games, so people watch in order to get frustrated at how bad he is? I don't recall the channel.

I think being skilled at a game makes some people on youtube or twitch popular (your Starcraft, League of Legends, Hearthstone, fighting game players), but just as many get popular because they're funny, endearing, attractive, name your quality (or combination of them) to their audience.

The only Let's Play that I've ever watched is this one. I don't care what she's playing, or how she's playing the game, I just find her voice and demeanor very pleasant and relaxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUv2B7WYXQ4
Old 07-05-15, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Oh it absolutely is that easy. You just have to have the time and fake an eccentric personality. In fact most YouTubers will tell you that they even learned video editing and production by watching YouTube videos about those subjects. Most of the guys that get into that start by being unemployed (LGR, Angry Joe Show, The Game Chasers, The Completionist, etc).
For every PewDiePie and other successful streaming personality, there are about 10,000 desperately trying to get in on the action and then failing to build an audience. Just browse through Twitch (or really, any gaming site) and look at the desperate measures people take in order to try to gain viewers. There's a lot more to it than free time and faking a personality, and it really isn't easy at all.
Old 07-05-15, 11:30 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All three of my kids are in high school..and all three watch a lot of these videos...my two youngest also play a lot of games, but my 17 year old spends most of her game time actually watching people play and not playing..

They would rather watch these more than actual movies or even tv shows... I will talk about an older game and they will act like they want to play it only to find someone who has already played it and call it good...

My son is really the only one who will put a lot of time into a game....but he will also spend hours on skype with his girlfriend while both are watching some stupid lets play video.

They are all very social, have lots of friends and do great in school. It is just what they love.

I remember when I was younger how I thought that I would always be cool because I would like new music, movies, shows and games. I would be the 60 year old man who still plays the newest game. I was not going to be like my father and think my kids had stupid taste. Well, I still love music, bands and of course games that come out, but I have finally found something I can be my father with.
Old 07-05-15, 11:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foxdvd
They would rather watch these more than actual movies or even tv shows...

Even the worst movie/TV show is better than the best Lets Play youtuber.

I'm only 36, and I already feel like an old man shaking my cane because I just don't get this whole Lets Play culture.
Old 07-06-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I like watching Let's Play videos of retro games, mostly because I finally want to see their endings, or watch somebody play them without dying or a record speedrun. But modern games? Not a chance. I'll be bored to death.