Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MLB 15: The Show -- PS3/PS4 -- March 31st

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: MLB 15: The Show -- PS3/PS4 -- March 31st

I had to start the game up and double check about the hitting because now I'm second guessing myself. It does say in the game that the plate coverage indicator (aiming with the left stick) is used for Zone hitting, but I swear its working in Directional mode too. I just tried aiming in the opposite direction of the pitch, hoping to strictly just influence the ball direction (as the directional mode wordage suggests), and I was missing the the pitches miserably. My timing wasn't that off because as soon as I moved the stick in the proper direction of the pitch I was back to making solid contact.

So it may not be exactly how the manual says its supposed to work, but aiming with the left stick definitely helps with more solid contact in Directional mode too. At least in my expereince.
Old 04-08-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for checking and mentioning it. I will try it out. I'm open to any tips in order to improve my abysmal hitting.
Old 04-08-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goat3001
For hitting: I agree that directional settings is the best way to go. On top of that don't forget to use the "guess pitch" feature. You have to guess the pitch and location. If you do so correctly, it will give you the location of the pitch. From there you can adjust your swing accordingly.

I always guess fastball and if I have a power hitter up I'll guess inside and if I have a slap hitter up I'll guess outside. If I guess right I'll aim for the seats with the power hitter and aim to hit it the other way with the contact hitters.

The default baserunning is terrible. If you dislike it as much as I do, switch to the classic. It may have a steeper learning curve but it's a lot better.
Yep, I do it the same way as far as the guess pitch and I also do classic baserunning because I hate the default. I don't understand why they couldn't implement baserunning controls similar to how they did it in the MVP games. They make it more complicated than it should be.
Old 04-09-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I swear there's a glitch in Diamond Dynasty mode that ignores the difficulty you pick against the CPU. I know the Player vs Player setting is always set to All-Star, but you can supposedly select any difficulty (Rookie thru Legend) when playing vs CPU.

But even on Rookie, the CPU routinely goes into Beast Mode and is just impossible to beat. They hit everything. Never make an error, while making spectacular diving plays all over the field. It's like I'm playing against some all-century team. Anyone else experience this?

According to my W:L in Diamond Dynasty, I'm 8-0 vs Human opponents (which is always set to ALL-STAR difficulty). That means I'm 7-13 playing against the CPU on mostly ROOKIE (there may have been 2-3 games on VETERAN).

I can't figure it out. Unless my team is just truly awful. I only have 1 Gold player, 4 Silvers, the rest are Bronze. I have no Commons. But also no Diamonds or Legends. Is my team horrible? Maybe I'm using all the average players and am missing the superstars that make a difference on a typical MLB roster? Does every team have a diamond level player?
Old 04-09-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm confused as to how to "claim" my 12,000 ticket stubs I got for ordering the upgraded version of this game. I redeemed the enclosed code and got all the dynamic themes but no stubs. Do you ONLY use the stubs in Diamond Dynasty and RTTS modes?
Old 04-09-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm confused as to how to "claim" my 12,000 ticket stubs I got for ordering the upgraded version of this game. I redeemed the enclosed code and got all the dynamic themes but no stubs. Do you ONLY use the stubs in Diamond Dynasty and RTTS modes?
Took me a while to figure it out too. Go to the 'Show Store' in the MLB Menu, you may have to click on the Touchpad to bring it up, then go to Purchase/Redeem, click on the 12k Stubs option, and it will add it to your account. It is not clear at all as the description for each of the stub amounts says it will take you to the PS Store, however, when you choose the 12k one, it just adds it to your account.

What did you guys buy with your stubs? More packs or players off the market?
Old 04-09-15, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Had a weird thing happen today. I hit a little dribbler in front of the plate and no one ever moved to get the ball so I made it safely to first. Then as I was debating pressing my luck and advancing further the ball boy trots over, picks the ball up and carries it into the dugout...

One thing they can definitely improve upon is check swing recognition. I am tired of getting called for strikes when I barely even started my swing before checking it.

Last edited by Maxflier; 04-09-15 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-09-15, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
Took me a while to figure it out too. Go to the 'Show Store' in the MLB Menu, you may have to click on the Touchpad to bring it up, then go to Purchase/Redeem, click on the 12k Stubs option, and it will add it to your account. It is not clear at all as the description for each of the stub amounts says it will take you to the PS Store, however, when you choose the 12k one, it just adds it to your account.

I bought a few packs and used the rest for training points.
Old 04-10-15, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks... when I logged in last night I had a message that my loot was waiting for me. Since I'm playing Franchise I'm not sure it'll matter much but there was a "Gold" pack on sale for 5000 stubs... which I bought just in case I play the other modes.

This game is fantastic... it's almost perfect. The check swing system is a bit flawed but I downloaded a highly rated Slider file and am having an almost perfect simulation when playing.

Another annoying thing and maybe it's my visual settings, but when I hit a fly ball, the view is so far away from the actual catch. Is there a presentation mode that shows a closer up view of the defender making the catch?
Old 04-10-15, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Eh...I don't believe in using guess pitch, it is too arcadey for my taste. And if by chance we have a league hopefully that will be turned off.
I do agree that classic baserunning is the way to go.
I wouldn't take part in a league if you guys did one so that's up to you guys but I don't think it's too arcadey. Hitters guess pitches all the time. You can hear it in the way they talk about it ("I was sitting off speed", "I was looking for something up in the zone" etc). It's not easy to guess a pitch on the Show since you need to have the location and pitch correct and I think the visualization of it for the game is appropriate.
Old 04-10-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone else have issues of the daily stamp (daily login reward) not registering? I swear it only shows up every third day for me. I've logged in almost every day since release and I only have 3 stamps.

Also, what camera batting view have you settled on? I seem to do better with Broadcast but I prefer a behind the plate camera view so then I've gone with E Offset Zoom.
Old 04-10-15, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I wouldn't take part in a league if you guys did one so that's up to you guys but I don't think it's too arcadey. Hitters guess pitches all the time. You can hear it in the way they talk about it ("I was sitting off speed", "I was looking for something up in the zone" etc). It's not easy to guess a pitch on the Show since you need to have the location and pitch correct and I think the visualization of it for the game is appropriate.
Maybe it's changed since '10, but real hitters don't get confirmation that they are getting a certain pitch and it's location before the pitcher throws it like in the game.
I'm sure most people just pick fastball so anytime they pick right you know it is going to be crushed because they don't even have to read the pitch, they already know where it is going to be and everything.

Last edited by Maxflier; 04-10-15 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-10-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone else have issues of the daily stamp (daily login reward) not registering? I swear it only shows up every third day for me. I've logged in almost every day since release and I only have 3 stamps.

Also, what camera batting view have you settled on? I seem to do better with Broadcast but I prefer a behind the plate camera view so then I've gone with E Offset Zoom.
Yeah, I dont have as many stamps as I should. I've had the game for 8 days and only have 5 stamps. And I log in every day and play a lot. Seems like it's on a 36 hour timer, not 24. I can't figure out when it resets.

I'm using the default camera for batting (which I believe is just named 'catcher').

I've also switched to 'Zone' hitting because it feels like I can put up bigger numbers when I get in a groove. The good thing about it is that there's always a reticle on the screen (and you can pick different appearances for it). So even when the strike zone box disappears, your reticle is still visible. And depending on how good the hitter is, the reticle is sometimes as big as the strike zone, so you can better judge balls and strikes. A lot of the times, you dont even have to move the left stick because the pitch is already in the 'hit box'.
Old 04-10-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, what camera batting view have you settled on?
Catcher Classic for me.
Old 04-12-15, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

redeemed my 15 anniversary set packs and got a gold Pedroia as the most notable card

haven't spent my 12k in bonus stubs yet ... might do a silver loaded pack (7,500)
Old 04-13-15, 12:35 AM

I was lucky to get a Kershaw out of my pack set. Shame that the pitchers are random and I have only been able to use him once in about 10 games.
Old 04-13-15, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by musick
redeemed my 15 anniversary set packs and got a gold Pedroia as the most notable card

haven't spent my 12k in bonus stubs yet ... might do a silver loaded pack (7,500)
I bought a silver pack and it netted me Xander Bogaerts... he's Silver. Hmm.

I did get Lester in a normal pack though.

Regarding Stamps... there is a timer that shows when the next one is available and it seems that if you don't completely shut down the game and re-boot, you won't get your stamp. At least that's been my experience. In 8 days or so I have 4 stamps.
Old 04-13-15, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where is the stamp timer or even how to see the number of stamps you have located in the menus? I only see it when the game feels like awarding me a stamp.
Old 04-13-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the only time I see it too... if you don't log out / shut down the game, I don't know that there is any other way to see that timer. Pretty poor interface, IMO.

Edit: The only way to get a particular player or merchandise is via the market, correct? We cannot trade cards among ourselves, can we?

Last edited by Rob V; 04-13-15 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-13-15, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by avsfan21
I was lucky to get a Kershaw out of my pack set. Shame that the pitchers are random and I have only been able to use him once in about 10 games.
I remember complaining when you pulled that Kershaw. It's a shame that you get random pitching chosen. Although "random" for me has meant Gio Gonzalez pitching 6 out of my 11 Diamond Dynasty games.

Where is the stamp timer or even how to see the number of stamps you have located in the menus? I only see it when the game feels like awarding me a stamp.
That's been my experience, too, Gooter. Avsfan and I were talking about how it just shows up, and, even if it gives you a time to the next stamp (say, 15 minutes), I don't get my next stamp even if I log off and back in after that time. I think I just got my 7th stamp yesterday, and I have been logged in every day since launch. It doesn't even seem to use the 24 hour log in clock that EA Sports games use for the HUT modes.

Originally Posted by Rob V
The only way to get a particular player or merchandise is via the market, correct? We cannot trade cards among ourselves, can we?
I suppose that, if we were to agree amongst ourselves, we could make a deal here, have the buyer post his offer as a buy offer (it would probably need to be a unique number, like, say, one that ends in 3s, 6s, etc), then have the person selling go to their offer, and accept it, to sell. I can't think of any other way, unless others had an idea?
Old 04-13-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Emperor Charon

I suppose that, if we were to agree amongst ourselves, we could make a deal here, have the buyer post his offer as a buy offer (it would probably need to be a unique number, like, say, one that ends in 3s, 6s, etc), then have the person selling go to their offer, and accept it, to sell. I can't think of any other way, unless others had an idea?
that is actually a solid idea for anyone looking to trade here
agree on a trade here on the board or via PS chat and then post it for immediate sale at the agreed upon price ... could get burned by a random finding the listing but doesn't seem like any other better way

and yeah, I too have not received all the daily stamps I should be due
not too worried about it but it should be something that is either fixed or more transparancy as to how it should work
Old 04-13-15, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by musick
that is actually a solid idea for anyone looking to trade here
agree on a trade here on the board or via PS chat and then post it for immediate sale at the agreed upon price ... could get burned by a random finding the listing but doesn't seem like any other better way
It should work well, since the buyer posts their buy request first, then the seller goes in and sells second. At worst, the buyer still gets the deal they wanted, but the agreed seller gets stuck with the card, as someone else might sell, first. I hope that maybe coming up with off the wall numbers (like, say, maybe agreeing to sell for 1,666, instead of 1,700) might make the offer jump out, especially if the PSN ID doesn't show next to the posted offers.

Last edited by Emperor Charon; 04-14-15 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-14-15, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Guys, what is the purpose of XP in the Franchise mode? I'm at level 8 but I'm not clear as to what I've actually accomplished or if those "points" are used for something.
Old 04-14-15, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know specifically what the levels are supposed to do but I do know you gain experience in pretty much any game mode.

Yeah, same here. Nothing in those packs for me. One of the reasons why I'm not playing DD. I don't like/don't know most of the guys on my team.
And, I'm eating a little crow here. I've been dabbling in DD mode the past few nights. It actually is pretty fun. I'm still tinkering with designing my logo (swiped one from the Vault that I'm tweaking) and uniforms but I've snuck in a few games against the CPU.

Finally, got my first gold player (Edwin Encarnacion) from a standard pack and bought a silver player, Starlin Castro (hush now Musick ), from the market. Now, except for a few positions, my team is mainly comprised of silvers and the one gold player with an overall team rating of 76. Probably still sucky, but better than before.

Still can't hit but I did manage a win in the bottom of the ninth yesterday when Nick Swisher hit a 2-run walkoff homerun after I pinch hit for my pitcher. Pretty sweet.
Old 04-14-15, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

and bought a silver player, Starlin Castro (hush now Musick ), from the market.
LOL
I know who he is

so I've said before that I play this franchise because it is fun but haven't followed baseball in years ... none more evident than when I was playing a RTTS game ... as I mentioned before I am a starting pitcher and always seem to get drafted by an American league team so almost never get to bat except when there may be a rare chance in an interleague road game. Well my team is nearing the end of the season and my Twins are about to go up on the road against the Houston Astros and I get excited because I will finally get some swings .... nope, they announce the starting lineups and I see a DH listed for both sides .... sure enough I realize Houston is now in the AL .... doh

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.