Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo teases next hardware: the NX

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Nintendo teases next hardware: the NX

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yes? And? Pretty much exactly the reason why i'm complaining again now.
Fall's on deaf ears. Nintendo 'gon Nintendo.
Old 06-23-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Nintendo NX will not be a digital only console.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/...l-only-console
Old 06-23-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Of course it wasn't going to be. Was anyone really thinking that?
Old 07-26-16, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

This sounds awful if true: http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/26/12...le-controllers

The picture around Nintendo's next major piece of hardware is getting a little clearer: a new report from Eurogamer provides a number of new details on what the NX might look like. According to the report, the NX will primarily be a portable device with its own built-in screen, but it will also feature a somewhat radical design in the form of controllers that can detach from the device. You can then use those controllers to play games on your TV using a docking station that connects to your living room display.

The portable-focused nature also means that the NX will include a number of other features that set it apart from modern consoles, according to Eurogamer. Chief among these is that the NX will use some kind of cartridges in place of discs, much like Nintendo's 3DS handheld, and it will also be powered by Nvidia's Tegra mobile processor. And contrasting previous reports, Eurogamer says that the NX will use a brand-new, Nintendo-developed operating system, and not a version of Android. Because of all these changes the device reportedly won't feature any kind of backwards compatibility with Wii or Wii U games.

"IT'S SOMETHING UNIQUE AND DIFFERENT."

Nintendo has previously said that the NX would be a significant departure from the Wii and Wii U, and this report seems to go along with that. "It's something unique and different," explained Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima. "It's something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base." Previous reports also similarly claimed that the device would be some kind of mobile / console hybrid.

We still don't have much concrete information on the device — aside from the fact that it will launch next March and will be home to the next Zelda adventure — but it might not be too long before we find out. According to Eurogamer, Nintendo plans to officially unveil the NX in September.
Old 07-26-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually, it's what the Wii U should have been. I've been saying it for years. They need to merge their handheld and home console platforms. The fact that the DS wasn't a viable WiiU controller is absurd. The fact that you couldn't buy VC games and take them with you is absurd.

I'm not saying that you should be able to play every WiiU game on the DS like the NX is apparently going to do, but they should have embraced their ecosystem from the beginning.
Old 07-26-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd think Tegra would make it considerably less powerful compared to what Sony and Microsoft are coming out with.
Old 07-26-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

I just picked up a Nvidia Shield Portable and this sounds pretty similar other than the removable controller. Making games look great on a small screen is easy. How are they going to have a portable unit which outputs console quality graphics to a TV?
Old 07-26-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since when has Nintendo ever cared about cutting-edge graphics, though? They'll get HD out of it. That's all they need. My iPhone has no problem broadcasting HD content to my Apple TV over my wifi network.
Old 07-26-16, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, there goes third party support.
Old 07-26-16, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Nintendo always has to be different

And thats gonna make them fail once again
Old 07-26-16, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering how far behind they are in sales compared to the Xb1 and PS4 while also realizing they will not match the upcoming 4k consoles in power this seems to be the best choice for them.
This will change how Nintendo deals with the 3ds when the NX is released, but I would believe more details will be coming out soon on the capability of this and hopefully some surprises are thrown our way.
Either way I will be getting this just for the improved Zelda over the Wiiu version
Old 07-26-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

My concerns about the graphics aren't about Nintendo being cutting edge, but hoping it would be powerful enough to at least have more 3rd party support, especially since the Tegra would be an ARM CPU versus Sony and Microsoft going x86. Before it was rumored that Nintendo would follow suit and have something on par or a bit more powerful then the XBox One and PS4, but it doesn't look like that will actually be the case.

That alone is a little bit disappointing, even though I do love my Shield Tablet
Old 07-26-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
Nintendo always has to be different
If Nintendo were to do the exact same thing in the exact same way as the Xbox One and PS4, then they'd be doomed for failure anyway. You already have two virtually identical consoles with virtually identical third party libraries; do you really need a third?

Don't get me wrong: a hybrid is not what I want. All other things equal, I would absolutely love a more capable system. I'm not even a little bit wild about the idea of a portable-as-controller or paying more to do less. I do think that Nintendo has a greater opportunity in running their own race than to take Sony and Microsoft head-on.

Kotaku is backing some of what Eurogamer reports.
Old 07-26-16, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The processor choice is what I am more concerned about now. How would big time developers port over graphic intensive games and make them compatible and equally as good as the xb1 and ps4 version while using a processor made for mobile type android games?

One thing this does do is raise the anticipation for more solid info from nintendo themselves which should be september I am reading. I mean we already have an idea of the 4K consoles coming up and what they will do, but the what if's of the NX is raising interest in it good or bad.
Old 07-26-16, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hope the controls are nothing like the mock up, as that looks crappy to me.
Old 07-26-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

A hybrid system is exactly what I want. Almost all of the best Nintendo games are on their portable systems and that is also where they have virtually all their 3rd party support. I hate playing portable systems so I miss out on all those games. Having everything be part of one system that I can have hooked to my tv is exactly what I want. I have a PS4 and an XB1 I don't need a graphics powerhouse that is going to play the exact same games as those systems.
Old 07-27-16, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
A hybrid system is exactly what I want. Almost all of the best Nintendo games are on their portable systems and that is also where they have virtually all their 3rd party support. I hate playing portable systems so I miss out on all those games. Having everything be part of one system that I can have hooked to my tv is exactly what I want. I have a PS4 and an XB1 I don't need a graphics powerhouse that is going to play the exact same games as those systems.
Old 07-27-16, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Meh, I'll play the wait and see game before I start talking shit I guess.
Old 07-27-16, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Big losses this quarter for Nintendo, so they better get this NX thing right
Old 07-27-16, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Nintendo would be better off just cutting the shit and making their mainstay properties for Xbox and PS4 while creating other games from these properties and others for their handhelds. Imagine if they developed games that could run on current consoles with their beloved characters. In the end they will either sink or swim with their decisions.
Old 07-27-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
In the end they will either sink or swim with their decisions.
Astute analysis
Old 07-27-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Nintendo would be better off just cutting the shit and making their mainstay properties for Xbox and PS4 while creating other games from these properties and others for their handhelds.
That's sending the handheld out to die, and it'd very likely lead to fewer and less interesting Nintendo games being released on PSXbox-type consoles. That'd be fine for people who are only interested in a handful of franchises -- Kart, Smash, Mario, Zelda -- but in a lot of ways, Nintendo wouldn't be Nintendo anymore.

Nintendo's libraries of games are what they are because they control and have to support entire ecosystems. Take that away, and a lot of what makes Nintendo great would be staked through the heart. They'd have to double-down on surefire hits.
Old 07-27-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's be honest and say that the past couple of years Nintendo has had very few titles that they have released that have astonished very many people. Yes, Nintendo's library of games are great but their choices on how they release those games and how long they take to release them has been a bit head scratching at best. We can also say that the majority of the games that have been released on the other two consoles have been shoulder shrugging as well. I just hope that stubbornness on their part doesn't lead to the way of SEGA.
Old 07-27-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only real discussion about Nintendo products that I hear from friends and others who are gamers are about Amiibo collecting and even that can only carry on so long. I wonder if the release of Pokemon Go will actually be detrimental to handheld sales as people can now get their gaming fix from their phone. I have had very little interest in even playing my handhelds (Vita and 3DS) for at least a year. I also see fewer and fewer kids at school playing them after school or even talking about them with each other. Just 4 or 5 years ago, I would see multiple kids playing their Nintendo handhelds while waiting to be picked up. Now I see kids on their phones looking at videos and social networking.
Old 07-27-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The only real discussion about Nintendo products that I hear from friends and others who are gamers are about Amiibo collecting and even that can only carry on so long.
Amiibo sales are in the toilet (1.7m figures and 1.3m cards this past quarter; down 60% year over year), although admittedly, Nintendo have only released a trickle of new ones this year. They haven't been able to take what worked so well for Smash Bros. figurines and translate that to other franchises with any real success. The Animal Crossing line (figures, anyway; I think the cards did alright) were an unmitigated disaster.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.