Rock Band 4 (XB1/PS4, 2015)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-05-15, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All but confirmed a few weeks ago, now official:

Rock Band 4 has been officially announced by series developer Harmonix. It's coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One later in 2015.

It will support old peripherals, though Mad Catz is creating new ones as well.

Better yet, it will allow players to import all their content from previous games on PS3 and Xbox 360 into this long-awaited series resurgence. Harmonix said Rock Band 4 will support over 2000 tracks released since the 2007 launch of the original game. The previous Rock Band game, Rock Band 3, launched five years ago in 2010.
More details at link above, and this is from the Harmonix forums:

And here's a handy FAQ for you!

Q: When is RB4 coming out?!
A: Rock Band will be out this year. Stay tuned for more specifics in the coming months.

Q: What consoles is RB4 coming out for?
A: Rock Band 4 will be released for Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Q: Why not Wii / Wii U / PC?
A: Due to shifting production priorities and capabilities of the studio, we don’t currently have plans to release RB4 on the Wii / Wii U / PC simultaneously with Xbox One and PS4. While we genuinely appreciate the support of Wii Rock band users over the years, and the increased interest from PC gamers, the truth is that we had to prioritize opportunities on other platforms with historically larger RB audiences.

Q: Will my old DLC work on the next gen console of the same type, i.e. PS3 -> PS4?
A: Yes! Content purchased from the store or exported from a disc will transfer over to the new generation of consoles at not addition cost as we make that content available.

Q: Will my old DLC work if I bought a different next gen console, i.e. Xbox 360 -> PS4?
A: Cross platform DLC compatibility is not entirely within our control, as DLC ownership is managed by the 1st parties.

Q: Will my old hardware work?
A: We’re already working closely with Mad Catz, Sony, and Microsoft on solutions for letting you use legacy hardware on new consoles. This is a challenge on both the software side and hardware side, but something we’d love to happen. We’ll have more information on this in the coming months.

Q: Will you be making new hardware?
A: Yes we will! You can preorder a new PAX East exclusive guitar if you come by the Harmonix booth! We’re working with Mad Catz, who has a lot of history with RB gear, and we’re excited to get more instruments back into the world.

Q: Will there be any new instruments, i.e. a tuba, accordion, mouth harp, etc?
A: We’re concentrating on the core band that people are most familiar with (guitar, bass, drums, and mic) rather than expanding on the types of playable instruments in RB4.

Q: What will the new Rock Band cost?
A: Sorry, but we’re not talking about pricing at this time.

Q: What instruments will be playable? Wiill RB4 have Pro guitar and keys?
A: Rock Band 4 will focus on the core experience and the roots of the franchise – guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. There will be no Pro Guitar or key support in Rock Band 4. We will continue to support “Pro” mode for Drums.

Q: What are the new features?
A: We’re not quite ready to reveal the evolutionary features of Rock Band 4, but we’re excited to show you in the coming months how we’re expanding the core gameplay you love.

Q: Will you be bringing back [Random Feature X]?
A: We’re not quite ready to reveal the feature set of Rock Band 4 yet, but keep posted for more info!

Q: Will you have songs by [Random Band X]?
A: We’re not talking about the disc soundtrack just yet, but you can bet it’ll be awesome. Over 2000 songs spanning over 500 artists already exist in Rock Band catalog and we’re committed to expanding that and supporting the game post-launch with DLC, and we’re always looking for new bands and sounds, so keep the suggestions coming! Let us know what you want at RockBand.com/request

Q: When will you have more news about RB4?
A: Soon! Keep posted to our social channels and the Harmonix forums for updates.

Q: When can I preorder RB4?
A: You can sign up for preorder notifications right now at RockBand.com/preorder!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pc0RECohAZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-05-15, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts
Re: Rock Band 4 (XB1/PS4, 2015)

Awesome. They don't even have to do much, I just want to finally get rid of my older consoles.
Old 03-05-15, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish the best for Harmonix, but I still don't see this being a success.
Old 03-05-15, 08:18 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will be interesting if this sparks this genre again and I commend them for allowing your old peripherals to work.
Old 03-05-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wlj
will be interesting if this sparks this genre again and I commend them for allowing your old peripherals to work.
They are definitely doing all they can do to try and get people back into it. That part is impressive. I'm more surprised that the content will be transferred over.
Old 03-05-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

The DLC carryover is indeed a surprise and leans the game heavily into "purchase" territory for me. I had *a lot* invested in those songs. Guess I'll be buying an Xbox One now.

I'm wondering whether or not the C3 folks will figure out a way to make the Xbox 360 customs compatible. Their output is varied and great. (No duh, since they aren't hampered by licensing.)

Also, whither RBN? Maybe Sub Pop will finally deliver on its promise to convert its entire back catalog.
Old 03-05-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They pretty much had to make the DLC carry over. This would be DOA otherwise.
Old 03-05-15, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,978 Likes on 4,082 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
The DLC carryover is indeed a surprise and leans the game heavily into "purchase" territory for me. I had *a lot* invested in those songs. Guess I'll be buying an Xbox One now.
That's probably the reason MS is allowing it. They were by far the leader in RB sales numbers last gen and this might help them catch up some in console sales. They gave Zen Studios all sorts of grief before finally allowing 360 table DLC to carry forward to the XO even though Sony had been allowing Cross Buy for years.

In any case, great news. Would love it if my Fender would work on the XO, but it's not a deal-breaker either way.
Old 03-05-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts

A little disappointed about keys not coming over, but everything else is exactly what I'd hoped to hear. Way too excited!
Old 03-05-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
A little disappointed about keys not coming over, but everything else is exactly what I'd hoped to hear. Way too excited!
There's something in the FAQ about it being a fluid platform with new features being supported. I wouldn't throw your keyboard out if the platform allows it to be supported later.
Old 03-05-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

yah, bummer about Keys, but glad there's no Pro Guitar. I hated the direction the franchise was going in catering to the top .5% who were top high-score chasers and the 20 people who wanted/used Pro-guitar. Way too much effort and resources spent on stuff no one cared about. Hopefully they will fix the simple stuff that actually makes the game fun: being able to track individual scores/profiles within a band, and for crying out loud allow me to play in Breakneck Speed on guitar while the drummer plays on normal speed!!!
Old 03-05-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Yeah, I'm okay with no pro guitar (even though I spent hours on a road trip to get one of those elusive, overpriced, low quality guitars!). Let Rocksmith and Rock Band each play to their own strengths.

I'm hoping for a better tour mode. The one in Rock Band 2 was pretty terrific, and Rock Band 3 dropped that ball just about entirely.
Old 03-05-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tour mode better be a damn RPG this time!
Old 03-05-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

any word on harmonies?
Old 03-05-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew I should have gone to PAX East and the Harmonix party tonight!

I'm so excited since I already bought myself an Xbox One.

Need info about RBN.
Old 03-05-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'm hoping for a better tour mode. The one in Rock Band 2 was pretty terrific, and Rock Band 3 dropped that ball just about entirely.
Oh, definitely. RB3's tour was a steep, steep decline from RB2. Also it was a head scratcher why they didn't add more goals and achievements as DLC was being released. They put new ones in every now and then, but you'd think keeping your fanbase/customers engaged would be a no-brainer and that was an easy way to do it. (I'd think, but I have no programming knowledge.)

If you didn't click on the Harmonx FAQ link in the OP, there's a press release above it and they're giving out a free DLC song today:

To celebrate the long-awaited announcement of Rock Band 4, Harmonix is offering a free downloadable track. “I Still Believe,” recorded by UK-based songwriter Frank Turner for his fourth EP, Rock & Roll, is available now for download today, free of charge, on PlayStation®3 and Xbox 360®. Playable today in Rock Band 3 and Rock Band Blitz, this is one of the hundreds of songs that will be compatible with Rock Band 4 when it ships later this year for PlayStation®4 and Xbox One!
Xbox 360 marketplace link

(I couldn't find one for the PS3)

EDIT: Damn, it's been a long time since I bought anything for my Xbox. Now I have to have a credit card on file to "buy" free downloads, even though I have money in my MS account?

Last edited by DJLinus; 03-05-15 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-05-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd like a current-gen version of Rock Band Blitz as well. That was a fun experience as it integrated with the entire library.

This is especially important for we XO owners because I don't believe the new Amplitude is only coming to Sony consoles
Old 03-05-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

(I couldn't find one for the PS3)
Thanks for the heads-up about the free DLC! It doesn't look like it's on store.playstation.com yet. I don't have my PS3 hooked up right now, so hopefully there's a way I can snag the DLC while it's available.

Giant Bomb podcast about Rock Band 4, with all sorts of folks from Harmonix. Listening now...

Great interview at Hardcore Gamer too.
Old 03-05-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Me too. I was already leaning toward getting an Xbox One due to the built-in library I have for it with Games for Gold, but this will pretty much lock me in to getting one later this year.
Old 03-05-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I'm glad to see it is coming back, but I will probably sit this out. I put countless hours in series before, but the main group I played with has just gotten older and hang out less since the RB days.

Plus all those instruments again.

Now make it like the new singstar and let me use my phone and maybe I would just sing.
Old 03-05-15, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
Now make it like the new singstar and let me use my phone and maybe I would just sing.
This is a great idea in general. With games like Jackbox Party Pack using personal devices as input, I can see a scenario in which this is possible, though the delay may make it unplayable.

You should send in the request!
Old 03-05-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's something important from the Polygon article:

There will be no more ongoing sequels, no yearly releases. The arms race is dead. Rock Band 4 will launch Rock Band as a platform, and Rigopulos told us to expect continual updates, some of which will be paid, and some of which will be free.
I'm all for this approach! Also, I need to be able to search my library using text or a phone app. Set up playlists on those external devices too.
Old 03-05-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

This makes me very happy. I was planning on only buying a PS4, but this makes me think that I might have to get an XO as well because the majority of my RB tracks are on 360.
Old 03-05-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally a game worth getting excited about!!

So, will the RB3 disc songs carry over as free DLC?
Can I use my wireless Guitar Hero guitars...the RB Fenders suck.

Other than that, I'm in 100000% and will buy 2 guitars if needed.
Old 03-05-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
Here's something important from the Polygon article:

I'm all for this approach! Also, I need to be able to search my library using text or a phone app. Set up playlists on those external devices too.
Definitely. It makes sense for it to happen now, as it's first entry into a new console generation where pretty much everyone uses it with an internet connection.

They should of just called it Rock Band and drop the numbering. It's been long enough since the original that I don't think there'd be any confusion.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.