Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4, 5/10/2016)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4, 5/10/2016)

Old 05-17-16, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4, 5/10/2016)

Just wrapped it up. It wasn't perfect but it was pretty damn close IMHO. The epilogue was fantastic. Can't wait for the DLC.
Old 05-18-16, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Can't wait for the DLC.
I might be mistaken, but I think the DLC is only going to be for multi-player.
Old 05-18-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I might be mistaken, but I think the DLC is only going to be for multi-player.
there is single player DLC (story add on) coming as well as co-op
Old 05-18-16, 07:09 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am only on chapter 9...Dark Souls 3 kept me from starting this when I wanted.

I want to also say that while I enjoyed the Uncharted games I have felt they are overrated. Uncharted 2, being the best, has always felt like you are watching the greatest game ever made and not playing it. When the Last of Us came out it ended up being one of my favorite games of all time. The Uncharted games on the other hand continue to be solid 8 of 10 games for me.

Uncharted 4 is amazing looking, but it still suffers from problems. For me, while it is still early, I find Uncharted 4 has not flowed well from chapter to chapter. It took way too long to get going. Also, combat, while improved, still has problems. It is comical how the enemies do the exact same animation of jumping left or right a foot or two when you aim at them. This can be repeated over and over. It is designed to artificially create difficulty, but once you notice it you just roll you eyes. Aiming at someone, watching them side step...pulling your aim off...aiming again and watching do the same side step.

Even better if you have 3 enemies lined up and you can make them do a line dance by scrolling your weapon over them.

The new stealth options are also a let down. Stealth games have three ways they work...enemies have a pattern, enemies are random, enemies flow toward you no matter if they see you or not. The best stealth games will mix all three, with only a little of the flowing toward you. This game uses a lot of the artificial flowing toward you when you move around. You can watch 4 guys do the exact same movement pattern only to see it change when you move to a different position. You can have them go back to the old pattern by moving back. This is another way they are creating challenge artificially and after the way stealth worked in Last of Us, it is disappointing.

Overall the game finally seems to be starting, and I am enjoying it..but I am a little upset after how brilliant Last of Us was....It also does not help I started this right after Dark Souls 3.
Old 05-18-16, 09:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Finished it last night. Overall, I'm a little disappointed. I still recommend the game without hesitation, of course, but it's not the best in the series, let alone the genre. It looks stunning, the voice acting is as good as it gets. But while the gameplay and story are good enough, the puzzles are disappointing and not very challenging. At all.

While there are a handful of fantastic action sequences (and they truly are fantastic), only one or two made me feel like Nate was in danger. The puzzles are so straight-forward... there was never a time I really felt like I had to think it through; the solutions were always pretty obvious. In a game about people seeking out hidden treasures and solving mysteries as such, these kinds of puzzles should have been given far more attention.

The only time I felt like there was any challenge was during the shootout/stealth sections, mostly because of my own skill level, I guess. The final fight was enjoyable, though. No spoilers, but it's the kind of fight I expected, but loved because it was fitting of the setting and story.
I played on Normal difficulty, but my understanding is that the harder levels don't change the puzzles at all, just the combat. I agree with foxdvd above about the stealth/combat stuff, though.

And yeah... the game took forever to get things moving. Lots of walking for the sake of walking. There's even a "calm" driving sequence with swelling music that was intended to add a sense of weight to the specific characters and their situation, but when you can just make the jeep do donuts and drifting in the mud (as I did for a few seconds) it makes it feel a little silly.

Clearly, Naughty Dog had some sort of mandate to extend the length of the game through those kinds of sequences though. The mid-game
Spoiler:
flashback to return (again) to Nate and Sam as kids

may be the worst offender, bringing the game to a screeching halt. I'm okay with these "slow" scenes being in the game, but ND makes them longer than they need to be here.

Anyway... it sounds like I'm complaining a lot.
I DID enjoy the game.
I DO recommend it.
It IS the best looking game I've played.
It DOES have the best voice acting of any game I've played (although I hold a soft spot in my heart for Life is Strange)

But it's far from perfect. It's definitely not the best Naughty Dog has done (for me, I think that's The Last of Us, but my opinion tends to change sometimes), and it's not the best Uncharted game in terms of story or challenge.

I really liked the Epilogue, too, for what it's worth.

edit: wanted to add one thing...
Spoiler:
It's already established that Nate & Sully don't seem to have a problem murdering anyone in their path to treasure, which is a little fucked up, but it's a game. What's kind of crazy is that Elena also has no problem jumping into this killing spree in the last third of the game, especially after giving Nate a hard time about the sin of lying to her. yeah yeah, it's just a game. I don't remember the specifics of her involvement in the other games, so maybe she's just cool with 'kill or be killed' too.

Last edited by Dan; 05-18-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd
after the way stealth worked in Last of Us, it is disappointing.
oh you mean where the enemy AI would walk right up to your trusty sidekick and be completely oblivious to them being there .... yeah, got to disagree with you .... stealth in TLOU sucked
Old 05-18-16, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm around the half way point of the game (Chapter 11), and am loving it so far.

Even though some people may consider this a negative, but I love the fact that it feels like I'm playing a movie.
Old 05-18-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chase3001
I guess I'm around the half way point of the game (Chapter 11), and am loving it so far.

Even though some people may consider this a negative, but I love the fact that it feels like I'm playing a movie.
yeah, some of the cutscenes do drag on but it isn't MGS bad in that way

I started the trials/tutorial for the MP last night and boy was I lost (didn't play the beta)
it looked gorgeous but it just seems like they added/changed it so much from 3 .... may be more in line with TLOU MP which I didn't play
Old 05-18-16, 08:29 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
oh you mean where the enemy AI would walk right up to your trusty sidekick and be completely oblivious to them being there .... yeah, got to disagree with you .... stealth in TLOU sucked
well to be fair they don't see your partner in Uncharted 4...though your partner will actually do a stealth kill from time to time.

I loved the stealth in TLOU...especially on grounded mode.
Old 05-18-16, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by foxdvd
well to be fair they don't see your partner in Uncharted 4..
true, but at least they are taking cover or are in hidding
in TLOU Ellie could be brushing up against an AI enemy while you were playing as Joel and they wouldn't see her
Old 05-18-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

initial impressions of MP .... not good

the maps may be possibly be the same size as in 2 and 3 but they "feel" extremely small
also think they overdid it with the mysticals/sidekicks
really us missing that keep it simple feeling of the last 2 MPs
Old 05-19-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

Just finished the game, stayed up all night playing, haven't come that Roth a game in a very long time. Great way to end the series.
Old 05-20-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I revise my statement
MP totally sucks
I'll be selling this game, something I never thought I'd say
Old 05-20-16, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What don't you like about it? Aside from mysticals/level size
Old 05-21-16, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
What don't you like about it? Aside from mysticals/level size
just feels off

in addition to what I've already stated which alone is enough for me, movements are slowed down from previous versions .... not as many strategic cover/hiding areas (everything is very compact/open/symetrical) don't care for the revive system .... poor spawns .... don't like that your opponents don't drop their weapons when killed or that heavies such as RPG, Hammer, Gatling Gun don't spawn

it looks beautiful (like the campaign) but I'm not playing it for looks
very disappointing
Old 05-21-16, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm thinking about trading it in too. I had a blast going through the single player campaign, but don't really have any interest in revisiting it. I've spent a few hours playing the multiplayer, and it's just OK. Don't see myself investing too much more in it and moving on to a different game, so I might as well get what I can for it.
Old 05-22-16, 08:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished it and had a blast. Left
About 80 treasures and notes to find but not sure I'll replay it

****nevermind. I found out

Last edited by Sgtsnake; 05-22-16 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-23-16, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

My Amazon preorder code if anyone wants it.

RQ5F-DFNG-ETH9
Old 05-23-16, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

2.7 million sold.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...s-2-7-million/
Old 05-25-16, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Back from my business trip, and resumed playing last night. In Chapter 19, I can't believe this "gameplay" mechanic is in the game.

Spoiler:
shaking the controller like you're tapping the flashlight? really?

So cheesy and pointless
Old 05-26-16, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As for that gameplay mechanic:

Spoiler:
You're not shaking to tap, you're shaking to shake, which powers the flashlight. That's how some emergency flashlights operate.

Anyway, that mechanic is used in The Last of Us quite extensively, and felt natural. But it was kind of weird to have it here, since you only used it like twice.

Last edited by bluetoast; 05-26-16 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-26-16, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Finished the game tonight. Enjoyed it quite a bit, and I think it edges out Uncharted 2 for my favorite in the series. The writing is and voice acting is just fantastic in the game, and I especially enjoyed the epilogue - just love the characters and seeing everything wrap up so well is exactly what I wanted and hoped to see in the game. Smiles all around.

I still wish some of the gameplay was a little tighter - as I said, I think the Tomb Raider series, including Rise, is still a bit better then this and the action and gun fights in this game suffer from the same issues that the previous games did. Tomb Raider just feels more solid with all the movement and combat then anything in the Uncharted series. That said, the story and characters are much better here, and through 4 games it was great to see the characters grow.

Just a fantastic game, and probably my favorite game this generation.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-26-16 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-26-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I could have more of an opinion on Tomb Raider, but they still haven't fixed that glitch that destroys save files. Fuckers.
Old 05-27-16, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Just finished this up, and thought it was a really good adventure. UC2 still tops the list for me. I enjoyed almost every part of UC4 except for
Spoiler:
then final fight. It was essentially a quick time fight, really took me out of the moment. Plus, I thought there would/should be another run-in with Nadine and maybe a bit more escaping from the ship.

But, overall really satisfied.
Old 05-30-16, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Finished it yesterday (ready for new Witcher 3 content tomorrow!). It was my favorite Uncharted. I liked how it didn't keep you doing one thing for too long and kept from getting stale. And it was just the right length. Mostly, it was just satisfying, with a good solid ending. Unlike most games, it didn't overstay it's welcome, and it didn't make me wish there were a few more levels.

Does anyone know if the DLC will only be multiplayer, or will they throw in some single-player DLC too?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.